LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Sophistry = the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.

Yet your argument is a false cause fallacy

My argument is not fallacy feminism did directly lead to changes. all this other yak yak you are running your mouth about talking about other factors look there are other factors in everything. but you eliminate them and support the once with the best chance of having a direct cause

You've done nothing to show how Feminism rather than patriarchy and benevolent sexism is the main cause

Methinks you've never been to college

I have two master degrees. there has always been patriarchy and benevolent sexism but it was not until the feminist movement in this nation that any laws were passed that in an attempt to fix these thought of wrongs more wrongs was created

What wrongs?
    Alimony? That's a response to the rise in divorce
    As are custody disputes

It's not just alimony and child support laws,it's the whole way of thinking that these birds have now that leads to all this ? .

Women are a minority in the legal system
    They have far less impact than men and aside from those 2 things women aren't really favored in court
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sophistry = the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.

My argument is not fallacy feminism did directly lead to changes. all this other yak yak you are running your mouth about talking about other factors look there are other factors in everything. but you eliminate them and support the once with the best chance of having a direct cause

You've done nothing to show how Feminism rather than patriarchy and benevolent sexism is the main cause

I have two master degrees. there has always been patriarchy and benevolent sexism but it was not until the feminist movement in this nation that any laws were passed that in an attempt to fix these thought of wrongs more wrongs was created

What wrongs?
    As are custody disputes

It's not just alimony and child support laws,it's the whole way of thinking that these birds have now that leads to all this ? .

They have far less impact than men and aside from those 2 things women aren't really favored in court

They do the same crime and get less time
  • LUClEN
    Options

What wrongs?
    As are custody disputes

They do the same crime and get less time

That existed long before Feminism it's been like that since the lizzy Borden case

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Men don't bear the physical costs of reproduction, it makes no sense for them to dictate whether or not women ensure them

Word to the second sex

No one is saying anything about dictating. We're talking about men being included in on the conversation. Men don't bear the physical costs, but that's still their potential child that the woman is debating on whether she is going to destroy or not. And SMH @ you people putting a chick's physique and convenience for a 9 month stretch over a human life and if that should be some kind of "no brainer" type decision.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Men don't bear the physical costs of reproduction, it makes no sense for them to dictate whether or not women ensure them

Word to the second sex

No one is saying anything about dictating. We're talking about men being included in on the conversation. Men don't bear the physical costs, but that's still their potential child that the woman is debating on whether she is going to destroy or not. And SMH @ you people putting a chick's physique and convenience for a 9 month stretch over a human life and if that should be some kind of "no brainer" type decision.

Whether or not a human life should be terminated at all is a different conversation

Pregnancy is physically debilitating
    Ones capabilities and mobility are greatly affected by it

If a man says he wants to keep it, the woman wants to abort it and she's forced to keep it her fate is dictated by him

What solution do you provide for a stalemate when neither party can agree, Because as it stands it seems the only options are give the man final say or give the woman final say, yet nether are equal
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Word to the second sex

Whether or not a human life should be terminated at all is a different conversation

If a man says he wants to keep it, the woman wants to abort it and she's forced to keep it her fate is dictated by him

What solution do you provide for a stalemate when neither party can agree, Because as it stands it seems the only options are give the man final say or give the woman final say, yet nether are equal

Are you a male or a female, because I swear you argue like a female. Why you making up some kind of fake either or situation. I've said this whole time that women don't have the right to make this decision without including the man. I didn't say that men have the ultimate say. If the woman concludes after the discussion that she's getting the abortion, there really isn't anything the man can do. But he at least deserves the opportunity to make his case. And it's not even like it just benefits him because a lot of women regret having abortions for the rest of their lives.
  • LUClEN
    Options

Word to the second sex

Are you a male or a female, because I swear you argue like a female. Why you making up some kind of fake either or situation. I've said this whole time that women don't have the right to make this decision without including the man. I didn't say that men have the ultimate say. If the woman concludes after the discussion that she's getting the abortion, there really isn't anything the man can do. But he at least deserves the opportunity to make his case. And it's not even like it just benefits him because a lot of women regret having abortions for the rest of their lives.

I don't get it then
    Desert rain says the woman has final say and you agree
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I don't get it then

I never disagreed with that. I've always disagreed with the idea that some women have that men don't get any say. Some chicks will go get abortions without even telling the man they are pregnant. That is not right.

I also disagree with the idea that pregnancy being difficult is a good enough reason alone to warrant destroying the life that you created. If you don't want to have to deal with that difficulty, don't have sex. Isn't that the same thing we say to deadbeat dads? Why should pro-abortion women get any different treatment?
  • Dr. Stitch
    Dr. Stitch Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk why yall goin bacc n for wit that bish...her arguments havent had a foundation since page 1...clearly omitting logic

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Word to the second sex

Wasn't sure what the convo was about until I read the bolded.

Is your argument that a man shouldn't have a say in abortion because he's not physically carrying the baby ?
  • LUClEN
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I don't get it then

I never disagreed with that. I've always disagreed with the idea that some women have that men don't get any say. Some chicks will go get abortions without even telling the man they are pregnant. That is not right.

I also disagree with the idea that pregnancy being difficult is a good enough reason alone to warrant destroying the life that you created. If you don't want to have to deal with that difficulty, don't have sex. Isn't that the same thing we say to deadbeat dads? Why should pro-abortion women get any different treatment?

Definite double standard there
    ideally women can give up legal guardianship so men should have that right too if equality really is the goal
    and in instances where she decides to keep it when he has legally withdrawn from parenthood then she bears the responsibility alone
    if she does not want to do it without his contributions, both financial and parental, then she can abort it or put it up for adoption

but a lot of women aren't pushing for equality, just more power for their interest group
  • LUClEN
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

Word to the second sex

Is your argument that a man shouldn't have a say in abortion because he's not physically carrying the baby ?

He can have a say
    anyone can, freedom of speech entitles you to tell people wtf you think as long as it's not hate speech or breaking some other law

but it does not make sense for the man to get final say when the woman is the one most affected
    not only prior to birth but typically the mother plays a far more active role in the child's life
    with exceptions to fathers like Vibe
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Word to the second sex

He can have a say
    anyone can, freedom of speech entitles you to tell people wtf you think as long as it's not hate speech or breaking some other law

but it does not make sense for the man to get final say when the woman is the one most affected
    not only prior to birth but typically the mother plays a far more active role in the child's life

He should have a say though since he's gonna be responsible for said being tho. Shouldn't be able to have it both ways - he has no say in keeping it but has to support it, also has no say in aborting it but loses his kid.
  • Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ain't nobody readin all that ?
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Word to the second sex

He can have a say

I think you've been trying to come off as impartial in this thread but you're really just being as purposefully ignorant as desertretard.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

Word to the second sex

He can have a say

I think you've been trying to come off as impartial in this thread but you're really just being as purposefully ignorant as desertretard.

Prove my ignorance
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread is an astonishing display in mental gymnastics

@desertrain10‌

• xxCivicxx
    Options

Word to the second sex

He can have a say

Prove my ignorance

I have no desire to help you further derail this thread. Judging from your posts I'm sure that your life choices probably prove your ignorance well enough tho
  • LUClEN
    Options

Word to the second sex

He can have a say

Prove my ignorance

I have no desire to help you further derail this thread. Judging from your posts I'm sure that your life choices probably prove your ignorance well enough tho

It seems like you've been offended and are now name calling
    If I'm missing some important piece of this issue it would take little effort to show what it is

• xxCivicxx
    Options
    If I'm offended its because intelligent posters are making intelligent posts that seem to be going over your head. I read the entire thread. At this point most of the things I could say would be redundant

I called you ignorant which is truly my opinion, not ad hominem
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Opinions without evidence are fairly meaningless
    basically just feelings

Nothing went over my head
    Zombie thinks correlation is causation and that there's some immense inequality in the legal system
    yet provides no evidence to show that feminism has a causal relationship with legal precedents or any stats showing the inequality

Longer prison sentences are common knowledge but existed before feminism
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    basically just feelings

Zombie thinks correlation is causation and that there's some immense inequality in the legal system
    yet provides no evidence to show that feminism has a causal relationship with legal precedents or any stats showing the inequality

You're arguing against him in the exact same way that he's arguing against you. The difference is the evidence for his stance exists in all western countries

Sorry but I have absoluty 0 tolerance for people that wax obtuse about feminism or "feminist theory"(lol).

It's literally the opposite extreme of ? and it's just as deadly. It's a cancer to everything it touches
  • LUClEN
    Options
    basically just feelings

You're arguing against him in the exact same way that he's arguing against you. The difference is the evidence for his stance exists in all western countries

Sorry but I have absoluty 0 tolerance for people that wax obtuse about feminism or "feminist theory"(lol).

It's literally the opposite extreme of ? and it's just as deadly. It's a cancer to everything it touches

That's still just correlation
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Pointing out logical fallacies is a valid way of arguing. However, I've found that online most of the people that resort that do so because they can't actually come up with a cogent argument of their own.
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    basically just feelings

That's still just correlation

And sometimes correlation should be heeded