"Even if I say yes, it doesn't mean I mean yes" - Feminists

Options

Comments

• deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @desertrain10

I have three questions.

1. Where was all the "sane" black feminist when the "extreme" black feminist went on national T.V and embarrassed the movement and our race AT THE SAME DAMN TIME!!? Like somebody said already, didn't see too many of these "sane" black feminist denouncing them. We mostly seen "you go girl!, talk to'em!!!". Now this was the worst blow to "SANE" black feminist ever. How come you guys didn't ban together and expose these lunatic THOTS in "sane" feminist clothing? where's the "sane" black feminist N.B.C special?

2. Since a lot of positive gentlemen(such as myself) have a lot of the same views(some are completely stupid though) on female equality as you. Can a male be a feminist too?

3. How would you feel about men starting a "masculinist" movement. It would focus on how men are

- Treated unfairly by women when it comes to paying the bill/tab on a date
    - Treated unfairly during a pregnancy and having little say in the matter
    - Treated unfairly by the law compared to women
    - Paying more for our car insurance than women
    - Treated unfairly in a fight with a women(physical, mental, or emotional)
    - Treated unfairly when it comes to child custody and child support
    - Treated unfairly when it comes to sexual advances in any form towards a woman depending on how she's feeling
    - Looked down upon by most women for not having a car or not having their own place
    - Expected to keep a cool head while woman act a complete fool
    - Expected to treat a woman like gold, chase them, and try to impress them instead of it being the other way around
    - Painted as cheaters and dead beat parents. While females are painted as fragile victims and the strong/loyal half
    - Having our maturity lowered beneath a woman's level of maturity. When we see everyday that this is far from the truth.

Orson-welles-clapping.gif
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    SixSickSins is a feminist. Flaggin everybody and ? . Anyway most feminists are ignorant.
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img][/img]30t5dup.jpg

Jesus Christ
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

We are all guilty of making hast generalizations at times, but the generalizing about feminism has reached an all time high... and so has the hostility

Yes there has been extremist out there who have tried to hijack the term...but sometimes I just don't get the hate

At the end of the day, feminism is not a political party or an organization like the naacp...its just an umbrella term for a range of views about injustices against women....though I and a another woman may label ourselves feminist, it is also possible and highly probable we share differing view points, ideologies

I myself have been highly inspired by the writings of angela davis ...my favorite feminist

With that said, besides the fact they are female students, why do you consider them to be representative of the feminist movement?

As far as consent goes, yes means yes...no means no....however silence doesn't necessarily mean 'yes' ... you have to take body language into consideration
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    on the i.c. men feel like they're being oppressed by women and militant feminists pose a real threat to their lives. it's absurd.

Thank goodness some people have a brain.

This is just another thread to foment hatred and mistrust towards feminists as a whole under the guise "well, I didn't indicate all feminists". So pathetic. That would be like me making a thread about how all Black men are horrible, absentee fathers--even though that's the furthest thing from the truth. Constantly making threads highlighting the bad of a certain population does nothing to initiate intelligent conversation on issues that truly deserve to be discussed. All you men are doing are giving an outreach platform to the women you literally violently hate--feeding the trolls a most decadent meal, so to speak.

I, and others such as @desertrain10, are up for also speaking on men's issues that remain underrepresented, but it's hard to get anywhere with a collective, limited, and destructive groupthink of "? ain't ? ", "women are juveniles who lack logic", etc. There are posts in here saying women deserve to be physically harmed to beat them back into reality. Who really hates who? Because a lot of y'all men are sounding like woman-haters.

When there's an intelligent, healthy discussion on the real issues at hand, @ me.

You claim you want intelligent conversation but call people who disagree brainless, despite the fact that they are alive and a brain is necessary for life

Your comparison is wrong too
    It is not like you saying all black men are horrible, it would be like you saying certain black men believe a certain thing

I don't hate these women, their bad logic is thread worthy though

The Op makes no value judgments about Feminism as a whole, or even these women
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img][/img]30t5dup.jpg

Violence is violence...don't matter the source.

And women hold ALL the power in that situation. Because they control if that dude keeps freedom or not.

Cut it out.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    [img][/img]30t5dup.jpg

Feminazis explain this ? here...

We don't have any here
    Loca is probably the closest we have to a Dworkin
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly ...

Again feminism is an umbrella term for a range of views about injustices against women. Its not a monolith. Its not a political party. Its not some sort of organization. We are unique individuals. What unites us is we want to empower women

Or, in other words, one cannot characterize a feminist’s philosophy or values based only on her feminist label. And vice versa. One cannot assume to know a person's philosophy or values based solely from her feminist label

Black feminist and white feminist often are at odds on many issues

When I refer to an extremist, I'm referring to an individual with extreme views that detract from the empowerment of women ...for example the "feminist" who criticized women for being homemakers should be denounced

Better yet I'm denouncing the popular narrative that feminist are a monolith of man hating crazies

All I'm getting from your posts is that feminism is ? . Based on your statement, the only thing that ties you together is the desire for the empowerment of women. Well not every woman is a feminist, but all women want women to be treated fairly and justly. I'm betting few to no men would be considered feminists, but I'd say most men also want women to be treated fairly and justly, especially those of us who have wives, daughters, sisters, etc... that we care about. So if the one and only thing that connects feminists is something you don't even need to be a feminist to support, what's the point of being a feminist? I mean why would you even want to apply a label to yourself when that label also applies to a bunch of people with beliefs that conflict with your own?

Lol

I label myself a feminist for some of the same reasons why I self identify as an environmentalist or a liberal

Because for women there is still so much to fight for

Yes I am aware of some of the not so great things people do in the name of feminism, and the reasons someone might want to distance themselves from it....but I tend to think of these as outliers, unrepresentative of most feminists

Maybe I am doing a No True Scotsman to define “feminism” as I like.... but when I think of feminism I think of the great things self identified feminist have accomplished for my sake over the last 50 plus years. I think of people like angela davis who self identifies as a feminist and was one of the first public figures to speak in depth on the plight of modern day blk woman in America. I think of the women today like writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

• JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    Smh

We are all guilty of making hast generalizations at times, but the generalizing about feminism has reached an all time high... and so has the hostility

Yes there has been extremist out there who have tried to hijack the term...but sometimes I just don't get the hate

At the end of the day, feminism is not a political party or an organization like the naacp...its just an umbrella term for a range of views about injustices against women....though I and a another woman may label ourselves feminist, it is also possible and highly probable we share differing view points, ideologies

I myself have been highly inspired by the writings of angela davis ...my favorite feminist

With that said, besides the fact they are female students, why do you consider them to be representative of the feminist movement?

As far as consent goes, yes means yes...no means no....however silence doesn't necessarily mean 'yes' ... you have to take body language into consideration
    on the i.c. men feel like they're being oppressed by women and militant feminists pose a real threat to their lives. it's absurd.

This is just another thread to foment hatred and mistrust towards feminists as a whole under the guise "well, I didn't indicate all feminists". So pathetic. That would be like me making a thread about how all Black men are horrible, absentee fathers--even though that's the furthest thing from the truth. Constantly making threads highlighting the bad of a certain population does nothing to initiate intelligent conversation on issues that truly deserve to be discussed. All you men are doing are giving an outreach platform to the women you literally violently hate--feeding the trolls a most decadent meal, so to speak.

I, and others such as @desertrain10, are up for also speaking on men's issues that remain underrepresented, but it's hard to get anywhere with a collective, limited, and destructive groupthink of "? ain't ? ", "women are juveniles who lack logic", etc. There are posts in here saying women deserve to be physically harmed to beat them back into reality. Who really hates who? Because a lot of y'all men are sounding like woman-haters.

When there's an intelligent, healthy discussion on the real issues at hand, @ me.

You claim you want intelligent conversation but call people who disagree brainless, despite the fact that they are alive and a brain is necessary for life

It is not like you saying all black men are horrible, it would be like you saying certain black men believe a certain thing

Simply being born black doesn't have any inherent affect on the type of person you are ...or what type of belief structure you follow or any personality characteristics.... HOWEVER subscribing to a particular ideology is a conciencious choice open to scrutiny like any other conciencious choice one would make ...it's not a result of biological osmosis ...so at the very least comparing the two things would appear to be a not so well executed false equivalence
  • desertrain10
    Options
    @desertrain10

I have three questions.

1. Where was all the "sane" black feminist when the "extreme" black feminist went on national T.V and embarrassed the movement and our race AT THE SAME DAMN TIME!!? Like somebody said already, didn't see too many of these "sane" black feminist denouncing them. We mostly seen "you go girl!, talk to'em!!!". Now this was the worst blow to "SANE" black feminist ever. How come you guys didn't ban together and expose these lunatic THOTS in "sane" feminist clothing? where's the "sane" black feminist N.B.C special?

2. Since a lot of positive gentlemen(such as myself) have a lot of the same views(some are completely stupid though) on female equality as you. Can a male be a feminist too?

3. How would you feel about men starting a "masculinist" movement. It would focus on how men are

- Treated unfairly by women when it comes to paying the bill/tab on a date
    - Treated unfairly during a pregnancy and having little say in the matter
    - Treated unfairly by the law compared to women
    - Paying more for our car insurance than women
    - Treated unfairly in a fight with a women(physical, mental, or emotional)
    - Treated unfairly when it comes to child custody and child support
    - Treated unfairly when it comes to sexual advances in any form towards a woman depending on how she's feeling
    - Looked down upon by most women for not having a car or not having their own place
    - Expected to keep a cool head while woman act a complete fool
    - Expected to treat a woman like gold, chase them, and try to impress them instead of it being the other way around
    - Painted as cheaters and dead beat parents. While females are painted as fragile victims and the strong/loyal half
    - Having our maturity lowered beneath a woman's level of maturity. When we see everyday that this is far from the truth.

1. You have to talk to NBC and the corporate media about that...and what television specials are u referring to?

2. Why not

3. Sure...Though I feel some of your grievance conflict with my own considering I believe a woman should have the right to terminate an early pregnancy without the consent of the father. But we do share a common foe: patriarchy
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol

I label myself a feminist for some of the same reasons why I self identify as an environmentalist or a liberal

Yes I am aware of some of the not so great things people do in the name of feminism, and the reasons someone might want to distance themselves from it....but I tend to think of these as outliers, unrepresentative of most feminists

Maybe I am doing a No True Scotsman to define “feminism” as I like.... but when I think of feminism I think of the great things self identified feminist have accomplished for my sake over the last 50 plus years. I think of people like angela davis who self identifies as a feminist and was one of the first public figures to speak in depth on the plight of modern day blk woman in America. I think of the women today like writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Don't you see that you're essentially doing the same thing that you were bashing other people for. You said it's wrong for people to cherrypick the extreme feminists and feminist ideals and then act like feminism as a whole is bad because of them. But your whole argument for why feminism is good revolves around you cherry picking a few feminists and feminist ideals that aren't extreme and acting like they are what defines feminism as a whole. If that line of thinking is ok when it comes to supporting feminism, it should be ok when it comes to bashing feminism.

Every reasonable human being should want fair and just treatment for everyone. Now there is nothing wrong with specializing your efforts in a particular area. So if you want to be an activist for women's rights, that's fine. But from what I see, feminism is as much about attacking men as it is about defending women. If you want to push your cause forward by stepping on others, then you're not for fair and just treatment, you're only for your own personal goals. And that's just selfishness.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Smh

Simply being born black doesn't have any inherent affect on the type of person you are ...or what type of belief structure you follow or any personality characteristics.... HOWEVER subscribing to a particular ideology is a conciencious choice open to scrutiny like any other conciencious choice one would make ...it's not a result of biological osmosis ...so at the very least comparing the two things would appear to be a not so well executed false equivalence

Absolutely
    But if she didn't straw man she wouldn't be able to criticize
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Again feminism is an umbrella term for a range of views about injustices against women. Its not a monolith. Its not a political party. Its not some sort of organization. We are unique individuals. What unites us is we want to empower women

Or, in other words, one cannot characterize a feminist’s philosophy or values based only on her feminist label. And vice versa. One cannot assume to know a person's philosophy or values based solely from her feminist label

When I refer to an extremist, I'm referring to an individual with extreme views that detract from the empowerment of women ...for example the "feminist" who criticized women for being homemakers should be denounced

Better yet I'm denouncing the popular narrative that feminist are a monolith of man hating crazies

All I'm getting from your posts is that feminism is ? . Based on your statement, the only thing that ties you together is the desire for the empowerment of women. Well not every woman is a feminist, but all women want women to be treated fairly and justly. I'm betting few to no men would be considered feminists, but I'd say most men also want women to be treated fairly and justly, especially those of us who have wives, daughters, sisters, etc... that we care about. So if the one and only thing that connects feminists is something you don't even need to be a feminist to support, what's the point of being a feminist? I mean why would you even want to apply a label to yourself when that label also applies to a bunch of people with beliefs that conflict with your own?

Lol

What are women fighting for exactly? All the laws benefit them even they are wrong, they also benefit from double standards/gender roles (ask Ray Rice) and are protected by society.Women get lesser prison sentences than men because of their gender and have more job opportunities.It seems like paranoia instead of reality.Maybe I am missing something?The middle east has these problems that women need to fight for,not the US.
  • LUClEN
    edited August 2014
    Options

Lol

What are women fighting for exactly? All the laws benefit them even they are wrong, they also benefit from double standards/gender roles (ask Ray Rice) and are protected by society.Women get lesser prison sentences than men because of their gender and have more job opportunities.It seems like paranoia instead of reality.Maybe I am missing something?The middle east has these problems that women need to fight for,not the US.

The wage gap still exists, although it seems to be mostly due to career choices, but many women see this as something that needs to change

This is where you get groups saying that expectations for women need to evolve so girls can feel comfortable pursuing 'male' Careers like engineering

Prostitution is another issue for feminists

As far as policy goes it's pretty equal in the public sector, outside of things like law and politics where rich white males dominant Congress, the Senate and the Supreme court

The private sector is far worse than the public sector
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

Lol

The wage gap still exists, although it seems to be mostly due to career choices, but many women see this as something that needs to change

This is where you get groups saying that expectations for women need to evolve so girls can feel comfortable pursuing 'male' Careers like engineering

As far as policy goes it's pretty equal in the public sector, outside of things like law and politics where rich white males dominant Congress, the Senate and the Supreme court

The wage thing is the only thing I could think of.What's there point about prostitution?
  • LUClEN
    edited August 2014
    Options

Lol

The wage thing is the only thing I could think of.What's there point about prostitution?

Some places have laws that are considered unfair for women in the sex industry as far as fines and punishment are concerned

There are groups that oppose the way ? hotlines and pornography are completely legal while sex solicitation is not

In Spain a lot of prostitutes were getting hit by cars so they have to wear those visibility vests

Seeing as it is mostly women in the industry doing the 'labour' it is largely a women's issue
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    laws are unfair for female drug dealers
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

Lol

Some places have laws that are considered unfair for women in the sex industry as far as files and punishment are concerned

There are groups that oppose the way ? hotlines and pornography are completely legal while sex solicitation is not

In Spain a lot of prostitutes were getting hit by cars so they have to wear those visibility bests

Seeing as it is mostly women in the industry doing the 'labour' it is largely a women's issue

That's funny since johns are the ones targeted by the police and hookers objectify themselves so you would think feminist are against that.
  • desertrain10
    Options
    Lol

Also because for women there is still so much to fight for

Don't you see that you're essentially doing the same thing that you were bashing other people for. You said it's wrong for people to cherrypick the extreme feminists and feminist ideals and then act like feminism as a whole is bad because of them. But your whole argument for why feminism is good revolves around you cherry picking a few feminists and feminist ideals that aren't extreme and acting like they are what defines feminism as a whole. If that line of thinking is ok when it comes to supporting feminism, it should be ok when it comes to bashing feminism.

Every reasonable human being should want fair and just treatment for everyone. Now there is nothing wrong with specializing your efforts in a particular area. So if you want to be an activist for women's rights, that's fine. But from what I see, feminism is as much about attacking men as it is about defending women. If you want to push your cause forward by stepping on others, then you're not for fair and just treatment, you're only for your own personal goals. And that's just selfishness.

I've admit a lot of not so great things happened in the name of feminism...for me it still doesn't tarnish the term or legacy of the feminist who fought so that I would have the same opportunities once only afforded to men....that's all I'm saying

With that said, I just have a problem with people who like to portray feminist as being this monolith

• LUClEN
    Options

Lol

Some places have laws that are considered unfair for women in the sex industry as far as files and punishment are concerned

In Spain a lot of prostitutes were getting hit by cars so they have to wear those visibility bests

That's funny since johns are the ones targeted by the police and hookers objectify themselves so you would think feminist are against that.

There are sex negative feminists against it

• LUClEN
    Options

Lol

It's funny though cause in Canada Native women have been dying in absurd numbers
    many of them involved in the sex industry and often they go missing without a word
    little is done by police and their families get no answers
    A lot if not most of these white feminists doing things like the ? walk in Toronto that fight for their rights give no ? about it

Let one one broad go missing and it's on the news for weeks

• CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've admit a lot of not so great things happened in the name of feminism...for me it still doesn't tarnish the term or legacy of the feminist who fought so that I would have the same opportunities once only afforded to men....that's all I'm saying

With that said, I just have a problem with people who like to portray feminist as being this monolith

It's not that people are portraying feminism as being a monolith. The issue is that feminism has those bad aspects to them, and some people believe they are more prevalent than the supposed good aspects. Therefor the believe it is bad.

I personally think it is pointless. As I said before, you don't need to be a feminist to stand for women's rights and regardless of how much good has been done in the name of feminism, it doesn't make sense to associate yourself with something that is often represented by people whose views contradict your own.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    muthafuckas are gonna stick to ? and using fleshlights if even getting a 'yes' can lead to ? charges.