They know what to do out there if they want justice
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im becoming #desensitized
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's always justifiable for them. I can't say this ? enough: FUUUUUUUUUCK. THAAAAAAA. POLIIIIIIIIIIIICE!
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Civil lawsuit. Break the bank.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nothing new

Throw a million at them and hope the family leaves them alone
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so he thought a pill bottle was a gun in his pocket. how do they put dumb ? like this on paper with a straight face
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmm, maybe the DOJ will find racial bias in their "separate" investigation. We all know won't ? happen to the cop
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So no drugs nor guns found and he got the death penalty?
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    only way to survive a police encounter is to play dead. literally fall limp to the ground, thats all one can do at this point
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    040215_vineland_pd.si.jpg

An unarmed black man is dead after being beaten by New Jersey law enforcement and bit by a police dog, according to witnesses. Police in the southern Jersey town say the suspect was reaching for an officer’s gun while they were trying to arrest him.

Vineland police were responding to a call about a disorderly person on Tuesday morning. When they arrived, they encountered 32-year-old Phillip White.

An anonymous witness told KYW that White was stumbling around a neighbor’s fence when an officer pulled up and asked White if he needed medical assistance. The interaction then turned into an altercation.

“He started freaking out, he started like getting crazy, yelling,” the witness said. “He threw a roundhouse kick and he missed the officer and the officer obviously tackled him.”

He said the officer tackled White and then the officer’s partner and a police K9 subdued White.

“He didn’t want to listen. So they were telling him put your hands behind your back, put your hands behind your back. They were mushing his head to the floor,” he recalled.

CBhL3SnWsAAQVky.jpg:large

Agustin Ayala of Ayala Towing told the Daily Journal he was driving his tow truck when he saw two police cars on the street and two officers, including a K9 unit, trying to handcuff a man.

"He was resisting," Ayala said of White.

The officers were able to handcuff White and bring him to the ground. Ayala asked them to stop because he was concerned for the man’s welfare, he said.

One officer told him, “You didn’t see him try to take my gun,” Ayala told the Daily Journal.

But officers weren’t the only ones involved in the arrest.

"They punched him, stomped him, kicked him and then they let the dog out of the car," witness Ricardo Garcia told WCAU. "The dog bit him on his face and around his body. There's no call for that. Once a man is handcuffed and unconscious, you should have stuck him in the patrol car and take him to the police station. Instead they decided to beat him right here."

A dog is heard barking on a police dispatch recording of the incident, according to the NBC affiliate.

"Subject...hyperventilating. Officers out," the dispatcher says in the recording.

"Slow all units down," an officer then says. "Subject under...tried disarming me."

One of the emergency responders told the dispatcher, “He’s got my gun, right now,” and “He tried to turn on me,” according to scanner traffic recorded by KYW.

CBmEti9W4AEJjoS.jpg

White became unresponsive while in an emergency transport vehicle on his way to the hospital, Cumberland County Prosecutor Jennifer Webb-McRae wrote in a statement, noting that a police officer was present during the ride. Medical personnel performed CPR on him, but he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

“Events that transpired between the time of the officer’s arrival and White’s transport to the hospital are under investigation by the Cumberland County Prosecutor’s Office. An autopsy is pending,” Webb-McRae said. “Sources have indicated that there may be video recording(s) of the events that transpired at the Grape Street location.”

Both the county prosecutor and the Vineland Police Department asked witnesses with information to come forward to help with the investigation.

“As many of you have already heard, earlier today a tragedy occurred involving Officers and a citizen. Sadly, this call for service resulted in an ‘in-custody, non-shooting death’,” Vineland Police Chief Timothy Codispoti wrote in a statement. “Our sincere thoughts and prayers are with the family of the deceased and with the Officers involved. I ask that everyone allow time for our justice system to now investigate this matter to its truthful conclusion.“

White’s aunt, Valerie White, told WCAU that she is desperate for answers about what happened to her nephew.

“Why, what he was doing, I don't know," she said. "I'm trying to get answers and closure now. He lived a street life but he was a human being. Bottom line."

White’s mom is too distraught to speak publicly, but she wants answers, civil rights activist Walter Hudson told KYW.

“She’s a very hard working woman and things like that and it’s very painful to get a phone call that your son is dead,” said Hudson.

White is the 290th person to be killed by police in America in the first 90 days of 2015, according to killedbypolice.net. He was the second in-custody death in Cumberland County in March, as well as the third person to die in that area of Vineland in the last three weeks, the Daily Journal reported.

White was the father of three young children. His official cause of death has not been released.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    arma-de-choque-660x400.jpg

POWHATAN COUNTY, VA — Think back to 8th grade: do you remember ever talking out loud or being “disruptive”?

Imagine if the punishment was an armed police officer approaching you and shooting you with a Taser gun, frying your nervous system with electrical voltage, for being “disruptive.”

That’s what happened at Powhatan Junior High School on Friday, according to reports.

An officer at the school shot an 8th grade student with a Taser gun for “being disruptive.”

The Powhatan Sheriff’s Department claims that it started when the student was “disruptive” in the cafeteria.

The student was then taken to the assistant principal’s office, where, they claim, the “disruptive” behavior continued.

An armed police officer stepped in and decided to try to place the student in handcuffs, but the student reacted by trying to flee, according to reports.
    That’s when the officer pointed his Taser gun at the student and shot him as the student was running away from the officer.

The Sheriff’s Department claims that the child “attacked” the officer while the officer was trying to restrain his wrists, and the child was then charged with “felony assault on an officer.”

“It’s obviously scary to see a child get Tased,” said Chris Parks, a parent whose children go to the same school.

“It was shocking,” he added.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    South jersey aka pretry much Alabama
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just doesn't stop smh
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Police in the southern Jersey town say the suspect was reaching for an officer’s gun while they were trying to arrest him

It's amazing of all the ? reaching for cop guns not one is ever able to get it...but they keep getting the bullets
  • hoodsavior
    hoodsavior Members Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So does internal affairs only exist in movies? Cause in cop movies IA have these ? shook..
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    timesunion.com/news/article/Man-dies-in-Albany-police-custody-6174540.php#page-1
    Albany man dies after police use Taser gun in struggle

City police are investigating the circumstances that led to the death of a mentally ill man who was shocked with a Taser following a confrontation with three officers after they stopped him early Thursday as he walked on an Arbor Hill street.

The family of Donald "Dontay" Ivy, 39, described him as a paranoid schizophrenic they said suffered from heart problems. His relatives waited for answers later in the day about the death of a man they said was quiet and introverted as they gathered outside their Second Street residence, several blocks from where the incident unfolded.

Police said Ivy fought with the officers, Michael Mahany, Joshua Sears and Charles Skinkle, at Lark and Second streets and led them on a brief foot chase. The officers started performing CPR on Ivy 11 minutes after the confrontation began at 12:36 a.m., according to a police spokesman.

Police leaders have not said why the officers confronted Ivy or how many times he was struck with a Taser. Ivy was pronounced dead at Albany Medical Center Hospital after he arrived in an ambulance at 1:10 a.m., a spokesman said.

Acting Police Chief Brendan ? , who took over the department last Friday following the retirement of Chief Steven Krokoff, said an autopsy was conducted but he declined to discuss the findings, saying the medical examiner still has work to do. The results of a toxicology test that may show whether there were any drugs or alcohol in Ivy's system could takes weeks to process.

No weapons were found on Ivy, ? said, and the department is examining what led up to the officers approaching Ivy. The three officers were placed on administrative leave while the internal review unfolds.

The investigation will include interviews with the officers about "what they saw, did not see," ? said in an interview at police headquarters. "We're going to do a thorough investigation and we're going to get all the answers. ... No matter what the situation is, we try to defuse the situation. But a lot of times the situation dictates itself. Once something becomes physical it's very difficult to defuse that until you get custody of that person under control."

Ivy's relatives spoke to the Times Union as friends stopped by their residence to express condolences.

Aneisha Johnson, Ivy's older sister, said she is not satisfied with what she has heard thus far from police.

"They just basically told me that he was stopped and then it progressed into something else and he died," Johnson said.

Ivy's first cousin, Celestal Hightower, stressed she is not inclined to criticize police but wants to know what happened.

"There's a lot of missing information right now," she said. "We just want to wait until everything is presented to us and then maybe there will be satisfaction, maybe not. We don't know until it is all presented. So that's what we're waiting for."

Before his mental illness set in, Ivy graduated from Virginia State University in 2001. His education was paid for by Richard Yulman, who in 1988 launched his "I Have A Dream" scholarship program for students from an inner-city Albany elementary school.

Hightower said her cousin's mental condition, which set in when he was a young adult, was "very obvious to anyone that speaks to him." She said Ivy, who had a son, had a gentle disposition and would do whatever he was asked.

"I'm still trying to figure out how it escalated," Hightower said. "It's just weird to me. The whole thing just doesn't make sense. I don't know what they did. I don't know how it came about. I just want it to make sense."

? said the incident began when the officers tried to question Ivy and a physical altercation ensued. He said the officers used a Taser at least once but it did not work and the physical struggle continued. Ivy broke free and ran away from the officers on Second Street as they chased him and continued grappling with him when they caught him further down the street. ? said Ivy allegedly kept fighting with the officers after he was handcuffed.

"They eventually get him somewhat subdued," ? said. "At one point there, they recognize that he has gone into a medical emergency, that he does not appear to be breathing."

Police took the handcuffs off Ivy, began CPR and called an ambulance, ? said. He said members of the city Fire Department arrived and continued CPR as Ivy was transported to Albany Med, where he arrived 34 minutes after the struggle began.

? said he would not discuss Ivy's medical or mental history because of the early stages of the investigation.

The death of Ivy, an African-American, comes at a time when fatal confrontations between police and civilians — namely the deaths of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., and Eric Garner in Staten Island — have generated wide scrutiny, including allegations of racial profiling and calls to reform the grand jury process in which fatal encounters with police are deliberated in secret.

? stood by his department's standing in the community.

"I think they know that we'll do a thorough job on the investigation," he said. "I think they know we're going to be transparent with what we find out. I think they trust this police department. I think we have built that relationship up for a number of years. I think we've tried to make sure that everybody knows what's going on so, that way, we don't have those kinds of things happen."

In a statement, Mayor Kathy Sheehan said: "I ask that everyone respect the process and await the results of the investigation. Our condolences go out to the family during this difficult time."

It's the third time in four years that a Capital Region man has died after being shocked by police armed with Tasers.

In 2011, Colonie officers used three Taser guns on an out-of-control weight-lifter at Gold's Gym in Latham. The man died after the confrontation. Witnesses said 32-year-old Chad Brothers of Troy was acting bizarre in the gym before the altercation with police. Police said Brothers grabbed an officer's Taser at one point during the prolonged struggle and shocked himself.

Last month, a Saratoga Springs grand jury cleared officers who repeatedly used Tasers on Daniel Carl Satre during a confrontation last September. Satre, 42, was shocked multiple times after authorities said he fought with officers while resisting arrest outside his residence.

In the two earlier cases, authorities blamed the deaths on heart attacks caused by the effects of so-called excited delirium syndrome, a condition in which someone falls into an extremely agitated state.

Last September, Albany County Sheriff Craig Apple took steps to terminate a sergeant, Vincent P. Igoe Jr., for allegedly improperly using a Taser. A police dashboard camera captured Igoe using his Taser on a 16-year-old who was kneeling with his hands on his head after leading officers on a high-speed chase across two counties.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    huey wrote: »
    only way to survive a police encounter is to play dead. literally fall limp to the ground, thats all one can do at this point

Funny and true.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They hold that ? way too long, then give you commands that you can't comply with because every muscle is tightened.

There needs to be a 5 second shut off timer on those, that 5 seconds is enough to disable someone then proceed to arrest/detain them.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    They hold that ? way too long, then give you commands that you can't comply with because every muscle is tightened.

There needs to be a 5 second shut off timer on those, that 5 seconds is enough to disable someone then proceed to arrest/detain them.

I thought u was a cop lover nh
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man we need another race riot
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? I thought there WAS a shut off timer on them.. didn't know someone cold just continue to shock someone
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JusDre313 wrote: »

? I thought there WAS a shut off timer on them.. didn't know someone cold just continue to shock someone

There is, but you can continue to tase them afterwards, too. Most cops tase longer than 5 seconds.

The timer needs to be 5 seconds and then would need to be reloaded.

Anything longer is too much. Usually, most people tased will want to give up instantly.

Only those high on crazy drugs will continue to act up.