Officer Involved....

Options

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    73 year old...

He got ran down by a 73 year old wannabe.

No I think the 73 year old just shot him, some other dude ran him down
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/report-robert-bates-charged-manslaughter-eric-harris
    Prosecutors on Monday charged the Tulsa County, Oklahoma reserve sheriff's deputy who shot and killed an unarmed man earlier this month with second degree manslaughter.

The Tulsa County Sheriff's Office has said that Robert Bates, who is 73 years old and is white, fatally shot Eric Harris, who was black, on April 2 when he mistook his handgun for a taser while trying to help take Harris into custody.

District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler said in a press release that Bates was charged with second-degree manslaughter for the shooting.

“Mr. Bates is charged with Second-Degree Manslaughter involving culpable negligence," Kunzweiler said in the release, as quoted by The Tulsa World newspaper. "Oklahoma law defines culpable negligence as ‘the omission to do something which a reasonably careful person would do, or the lack of the usual ordinary care and caution in the performance of an act usually and ordinarily exercised by a person under similar circumstances and conditions.'"

“The defendant is presumed to be innocent under the law but we will be prepared to present evidence at future court hearings," the release continued.

Will see if that old ? gets convicted or will they goes easy on him.. and strike a plea deal cause he's a geezer...

If he's charged a plea is guaranteed.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This guy isn't even a cop. Wow.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    This guy isn't even a cop. Wow.
    @VIBE
    i thought they were gonna disassociate themselves from him at first... which would have been smart ...although see thru.. But they doubled down on the support they have for dude saying he has been adequately trained.. yadda yadda.. talking about hes as legit as they can come... lol dummies.. He was a cop for 1 year i the 60's from what i was listening to
  • VIBE
    Options
    They said he was last trained in 2009 and that was also the last time he worked as a "cop".

They had a defense attorney and former cop on CNN this morning and they both said he should've never even been there for the sting operation and should've never been armed at all.

The former cop said that the old man should've known the difference between the taser and gun due to the side it's on and the feel of the gun.

I thought the same ? .

The family of Harris might be able to sue both the old dude and the police department, this should've never happened.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    I hope legitimate victims of abuse just keep cropping up and try to take advantage of the present climate.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They said he was last trained in 2009 and that was also the last time he worked as a "cop".

They had a defense attorney and former cop on CNN this morning and they both said he should've never even been there for the sting operation and should've never been armed at all.

The former cop said that the old man should've known the difference between the taser and gun due to the side it's on and the feel of the gun.

I thought the same ? .

The family of Harris might be able to sue both the old dude and the police department, this should've never happened.

You know someone ? up when even a cop is coming out and saying they were wrong.
  • playmaker88
    Options

I thought the same ? .

They dont see him as legit.. which he isnt so its easy for them to
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

I thought the same ? .

They dont see him as legit.. which he isnt so its easy for them to

True, but if what the cop said is true, the old man won't be the only one hanging for this. Whoever gave him a gun and let him get his ass out of the car has to suffer too.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tulsa Police Sgt. Jim Clark, who is reviewing the case "independently," claimed Bates suffered from a phenomenon sometimes called "slip and capture" — in which people unintentionally do the opposite of what they meant to during extreme duress.

investigate this Clark dude for this ? answer....tf type ? is this
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow.....so I'm just now catching the part about him not even being a legit cop. This old senile bastard is a reserve deputy who played cop for 1 year back in the 60s. These mfs are some ? idiots...smh. Something tells me he is going to walk away scot-free.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    Tulsa Police Sgt. Jim Clark, who is reviewing the case "independently," claimed Bates suffered from a phenomenon sometimes called "slip and capture" — in which people unintentionally do the opposite of what they meant to during extreme duress.

its a scientific.. nonscientific study on "my bad" yea i heard them mentioning this lat night
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

That ? makes no sense. I mean you could literally apply that to anything. I catch my wife cheating. It's a time of extreme duress. I mean to walk away calmly to consider my options, but I do the opposite and beat her ass. Is that cool too?
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/tulsa-volunteer-deputy-surrenders-authorities-after-fatal-shooting
    Tulsa volunteer deputy surrenders to authorities after fatal shooting

A white sheriff’s deputy volunteer who accidentally fired his gun instead of his taser, killing a black suspect, will surrender for booking to authorities in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Tuesday morning. He is facing homicide charges today that could send the 73-year old to jail for up to four years in a case that is sure to bring fresh scrutiny to the widespread practice of using unpaid volunteers to help police communities.

Volunteer reserve deputy Robert Bates, an insurance executive, was charged with second-degree manslaughter for the April 2 incident, in which officers were conducting an undercover sting operation into illegal gun sales.

In video captured by a camera mounted in an officer’s eyewear, the suspect, Eric Harris, can be seen allegedly selling a gun to an undercover officer. He is seen handling the gun and placing it on the floor of the squad car, then jumps out of the car and begins running. Video shot by another officer shows him running away with officers in pursuit. He is tackled and brought to the ground.

In the video, an officer believed to be Bates says, “Taser, Taser,” then a moment later, “Oh, I shot him. I’m sorry.” The suspect yells, “He shot me, he shot me.”

Bates’ attorney, Clark Brewster, tells NBC News that Bates was parked two blocks from the location of the buy operation and was there to provide supplies in the event they were needed. Harris, he says, just happened to run into Bates as he was making his escape.

In a scene reminiscent of the chokehold of Eric Garner in Staten Island last year, one of the officers places his knee on Harris’s head, who says he can’t breathe. One of the officers then responds with an expletive “**** your breath.”

Major Shannon Clark of the Tulsa County Sheriff’s Office says that Harris was a very dangerous man and that Bates attempted to use the less lethal device but inadvertently used his handgun instead.

Brewster says his client will plead not guilty adding, “It was a tragic incident.” He says Bates is a longtime resident who has contributed a lot to the city and its people. He also told NBC News that Bates has been a volunteer deputy since 2007, contrary to other published repots.

Harris’s brother, Andre, says Bates was unqualified as an officer and should have known the difference between using a gun and a taser. “To see the violence that was taken towards him, really turns my stomach,” he said.

Donald Smolen, an attorney for the Harris family, says the shooting was inhumane and malicious. “You can clearly hear him saying he can’t breathe after being shot,” Smolen said, adding that it was inappropriate for a 73-year-old reserve officer to be involved in such a dangerous undercover sting operation. He also suggests that Bates had the volunteer job because he had donated significant money to the sheriff’s campaign

Bates, a former Tulsa police officer, was an unpaid member of the Reserve Deputy program, which is made up of 130 volunteers who receive training, according to Major Clark. He has reportedly donated both money and cars to the Tulsa sheriffs department and has served more than 3,000 hours as a reserve deputy.

The practice of using civilians as volunteer officers has generated controversy in the past, and this deadly shooting is likely to add to growing calls for better training for volunteers, if not a ban on their use. Nationwide, there are an estimated 50,000 reserve officers.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.wncn.com/story/28783002/okla-prosecutors-review-video-of-shooting-of-unarmed-black-man-by-cop
    Okla. prosecutors review video of shooting of unarmed black man by cop

TULSA, Okla. -
    Oklahoma prosecutors are reviewing the shooting of an unarmed black man by police who say he was unintentionally struck with a gun instead of tased during the fatal takedown.

Video released Friday shows the dramatic April 2 arrest of Tulsa man Eric Harris, 44, and the moment Reserve Deputy Robert Bates, 73, shoots him.

"Taser! Taser!" Bates is heard shouting, before firing a single round from his regular gun, hitting Harris, who was pinned to the ground by officers.

Bates quickly realized his mistake: "I shot him! I'm sorry!"

As Harris squirms on the ground he screams, "He shot me! He shot me, man. Oh, my ? . I'm losing my breath," he said.

Harris was taken to the hospital, where he died about an hour later.

The incident has gained national attention following the video's release and an awareness over fatal police shooting's involving unarmed black men. The Tulsa County Sheriff's Office defended Bates' error and said he "did not commit a crime," reported NBC affiliate KJRH.

This article is poorly written because of the part I bolded. They included the part where Harris writhes in pain and grasps for air as he's dying. But they left out the part where the officer responds "? your breath" as the victim slowly dies.

That right there is the symbolism of the heart of the issue. That's hatred. You have to reaaalllly hate a person to not give a ? as they slowly die in your hands and tell the dying man "? your breath". Did this guy molest their children? Did he knock down the towers? Was he Black? That's the most important part of the issue here and it's getting lost. It's the part that sheds light on overall mentality. These cops don't recognize the humanity in Black people.

That whole saying "Black men getting gunned down like animals" is ? . Let a dog had been shot and lay wimpering as it died...they would have had waaaaaaaay more compassion/empathy...you know all that good ? that separates most humans from other species.. Dude woulda been better off had he been an animal than a Black man.
  • Stiff
    Options
    just because you ? somebody and go "oops" afterwards don't make the person less dead
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    just because you ? somebody and go "oops" afterwards don't make the person less dead

lol Nope, but I'm sure the "oops" will comfort them in the afterlife huh? These people are crazy.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so this is how they feel
    [img]https://scontent-mia.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/11128679_10206828654133782_3738874977561991401_n.jpg?oh=4793529282c9c8bf6cdbd6a47482079e&oe=55E15346[/img]
  • VIBE
    Options
    Probably, but that's shopped.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Probably, but that's shopped.

Can't be real

Has to be shopped

They aint that stu...

Never mind, it might be real
  • Stiff
    Options
    That's shopped
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/28774423/inkster-officer-fired-after-beating-caught-on-camera
    Inkster officer fired after beating caught on camera

INKSTER, Mich. (WJBK) - One of the police officers involved in the apparent beating of a Detroit man during a traffic stop will be fired.

Bill Melendez, one of the officers seen in a dash cam allegedly beating Floyd Dent, will be fired from the Inkster Police Department.

"This is a big step in the right direction for the city of Inkster," said Nicholas Bennett, one of Dent's attorneys. "Too often do we see officers like Melendez get a free ride."

Melendez was placed on desk duty stemming from the January incident where Dent, 57, was pulled over, then kicked and punched more than a dozen times.

Now multiple sources confirm to FOX 2 that Melendez has been suspended for five days, pending his termination.

In a written statement, Inkster city councilman Michael Canty said. "His employment with the city of Inkster has been terminated."

"The video speaks for itself, you see a black man getting beaten by two police officers - Melendez specifically," Bennett said. "And had it not been for our exposing all this video, we don't know if he would have been on desk duty."

A criminal investigation into the matter is still underway. While Melendez may be off the streets in Inkster, it appears he'll still be working.

His company Strategic Security Detroit claims they provide "premier service with integrity, innovation, respect and accountability."

Now it seems Melendez is the one being held accountable.

"I really have got to give it to Floyd Dent for coming forward in this case and taking the risk," Bennett said. "It is a scary thing to expose police like this, especially as a black man in America."

FOX 2 did reach out to attorney David Lee who has represented Melendez before. He said he had no comment because right now, there are no criminal charges. Lee added this is Inksters' right, he just hopes everyone will hold judgement until everything is sorted out.