Somebody Done Told You Wrong: Black Celebrities Who Say They’re Not African American

Options

Comments

• D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    i aint from Africa..

never been.. momma aint never been.. granny.. or great granny..

im American.. Black American if u wanna be specific..

Obama?? African American.. daddy from Africa.. see the difference..

whats wrong wit jus bein American.. and i aint even tryin to be funny.. i swear ? and this identity crisis.. dont knkw what the ? they wamt to be called..

we really jus need to start from scratch..

Personally I don't like the term "African-American" because it's both too broad and too narrow at the same time..like you said if a 1st generation Nigerian lives here, then it's inaccurate to categorize them under the same ethnicity as somebody who descended from people brought here as slaves..

I prefer the term "Black Diasporic" for ethnicity, "Black" for race.

Lmfao gawd damn....

Diaspora- the dispersion of any people from their original homeland.

Show me a place on the map called "Black"?

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never thought the African-American moniker made sense outside of establishing ethnic pride. Which can be useful when there are groups as exploited and oppressed as Afro-Americans. But as you can guess, terms that do not imply direct African-Descent are more accurate.

Kai is an African-American. Six is not.
    Six has no direct ties to the continent; culturally or otherwise. Kai was born there.

Random ignorant ? question: Why is AA preferred over Black American or the now archaic negroe?
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im an African. Period.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm cool with being called African-American.

African - American when said as a compound word makes sense because we (blk people) don't know exactly what country in Africa our ancestors came from, right? I also think the historical record in the distance future will identify The African-American, as that distinct group who were kidnapped and brought over to North American territory to eventually created their own distinct cultural identify.

I also read somewhere that we (blk people) should refer to ourselves as American - African.

Black is more like an Umbrella term to me that Black folks use cause:

a. Its easy to say - I'm Black!
    b. You won't be lumped in with whitey
    c. Its not so specific to Africa

Now when you say "Black - American" it adds an additional cultural context into the equation imo.

Either way, when some people say " I aint never seen Africa or been to Africa, so don't call me African American" While it may be true, it can come off as ignorant. As though their hasn't been constant attempts at tarnishing the people and the images of Africans already. It can reek of an attempt to distance yourself on some.. "oh I aint like those Africans" It has a tinge of white racism sprinkled over the top …
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Identity politics, such a confusing thing for so many.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "dont call me italian, ive never been to italy" , only ? say dumb ? like this.

We've been mentally brainwashed for so long and stripped from our history, we dont know what to think. Some sad ? .

Exactly....BossE my ? but he sounded like a idiot with that post....made no sense.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Folks will distance themselves from our race-ethnicity when convenient because they don't want to bear the brunt of what comes along with it.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can be a "black american" which strips you of your lineage and denotes no country of origin as there has never been a region or country known specifically as "black" although words like Kush & Kemet did translate loosely to "black land"...

You can be an "african-american" which vaguely denotes your cultural lineage as well as your current status of origin. Only issue here is not only is Africa the white mans term but its a continent, not a country...

You could also call your self a "hebrew/israelite" considering we're the only group with such an intricately recorded history and it wouldnt be incorrect to assume lineage although the non religious may refrain...

If you want to be devoid of culture like white folks tho that's on you, they might call themselves "americans" or simply "white" but if you talk to them they will tell you, I'm irish/italian/french/spanish/russian etc... Just like you ask and asian if they are asian they will say no, i am Japanese/Chinese/Korean/Filipino/Indian... Smart people will also note that there are over 50 other countries besides the United States whom could call themselves "American"

It's really how much you know about yourself not what the stat books say about you.

It's unfortunate not many black people know their original country of origin but the info is out there. If you want to identify with the nation of your oppressors and not your ancestors than thats on you. And we need to stop exclusively referring to our ancestors as the people from 400 years ago as if thats when history begins for us.

And a side note on the word "black", it was actually a big movement during the civil rights era to get us called "black" as opposed to "colored" word to James Brown, Belafonte, Smokey, King and many of our great pioneers of unity and freedom of thought
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Lol at superhead be the only non ? shes not a ? for saying shes from the islands btw

I was thinking the same thing. How is the chick that literally sucked ? for a living going to be the only one that didn't sound like a complete ? .
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    i aint from Africa..

whats wrong wit jus bein American.. and i aint even tryin to be funny.. i swear ? and this identity crisis.. dont knkw what the ? they wamt to be called..

2376744_orig.png

there was a thread a few weeks back and ? didn't get what @BOSSExcellence was talm bout when he referred to this exact scene.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wentworth Miller is half black ? WTF
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    I think they got Rashida Jones wrong..she was a member of the Black Student's Association while at Harvard

She never plays black characters

She don't look Black tho. I was shocked when i found out she wasn't fully white.

she Quincy's daughter. her sister dated pac too
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Reading is fundamental guys

Karrine says that because she’s from St. Thomas, she doesn’t have a black “state of mind”:

Dude ppl from st thomas r black
    St-Thomas-Locals-1.jpg

4_St_Thomas_Majorettes.jpg

2mcyfqf.jpg

I guess Haitians n Jamaicans n Trinidadians dont have a black state of mind...

in the nation most times "black" = AFrican American. she never said she wasn't black anyway, she just said she was from the islands
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thats they prerogative. Nobody gon live by no label they dont want to live by. Third parties can hoop and hollar all they want obvious waste of time cant control the next person thats they business. The end.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you know whats funny in another thread im sure some of these same ? was like they aint even black... because they momma aint black.. or they mixed they not black..

TRUTH.

agree. There'll b a j.cole thread where he's standing up for black issues and half the thread is calling him a : white boy, cracka, or confused cause he's half white etc..
    Now when these mixed people say "ok cool we ain't black" ? gotta problem with it.

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Keyshia cole ratchet angry black woman ass got some nerve tho

Her ass caught me the ? off guard
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    i aint from Africa..

So if an asian person had Asian-American parents, Asian-American grand parents, Asian-American great grand parents, Asian-American great great grandparents.
    Is that person still asian american, or yellow american???

ill worry about them muthafuckas when they start worryin about us..

? ..

• CapitalB
    Options
    "dont call me italian, ive never been to italy" , only ? say dumb ? like this.

We've been mentally brainwashed for so long and stripped from our history, we dont know what to think. Some sad ? .

Exactly....BossE my ? but he sounded like a idiot with that post....made no sense.

u know the irony in that post is ge's actually talkin about yall confused ? ...

one minute ur African American.. then its Afro American.. then its Black American ...and now we back to African American..

but thats what you get when u get a group so concerned wit how others view them instead of how u view urselves..

but i dont expect yall to get this.. jus like i dont get why anyone would want to be called anything but a human "? " bein and then wonder why we are divided as a people..

i say it all the time on this site... it aint about black or white.. its about green.. but keep fallin for the okie doke. smmfh
  • King_MOEbra
    King_MOEbra Members Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I consider my ? black, not African American.
  • CapitalB
    Options
    "say it loud.. im African American and im proud"...

smmfh that ? dont even go right..
    African American my ass..

bet yall aint got so much as a juju bead in yo house but u wanna be called african. hahaha
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never knew Michael Scofield was half black. Thought he was straight up Caucasian.