Somebody Done Told You Wrong: Black Celebrities Who Say They’re Not African American

Options

Comments

• BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems that the issue here, is that many of these people aren't only avoiding being identified as African-American, but also as Black. Whether they are exhausted by the negative stigmas associated, or simply see being Black as inferior, these ? are in denial.
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BEAM wrote: »
    It seems that the issue here, is that many of these people aren't only avoiding being identified as African-American, but also as Black. Whether they are exhausted by the negative stigmas associated, or simply see being Black as inferior, these ? are in denial.

? what the ? is african bout your ass?
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Stiff wrote: »
    i aint from Africa..

never been.. momma aint never been.. granny.. or great granny..

im American.. Black American if u wanna be specific..

Obama?? African American.. daddy from Africa.. see the difference..

whats wrong wit jus bein American.. and i aint even tryin to be funny.. i swear ? and this identity crisis.. dont knkw what the ? they wamt to be called..

we really jus need to start from scratch..

Personally I don't like the term "African-American" because it's both too broad and too narrow at the same time..like you said if a 1st generation Nigerian lives here, then it's inaccurate to categorize them under the same ethnicity as somebody who descended from people brought here as slaves..

I prefer the term "Black Diasporic" for ethnicity, "Black" for race.

Lmfao gawd damn....

Diaspora- the dispersion of any people from their original homeland.

Show me a place on the map called "Black"?

Show me a place on the map called "Jewish"

...and yet there's a "Jewish Diaspora"
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Shemar Moore never denied being black, he only said he was as white as he was black and wanted to be thought of as just an actor. I wouldn't fault him for that. Tiger Woods is only 'one quarter' black and he acknowledges his black heritage with 'Cablasian'. I don't see why anyone would expect him to identify as just black with an Asian mom and a white grandparent. I don't know much about Wentworth but I'm pretty sure he's only 'one quarter' black, if that. He doesn't look mixed, to me.

like you said if a 1st generation Nigerian lives here, then it's inaccurate to categorize them under the same ethnicity as somebody who descended from people brought here as slaves..

I prefer the term "Black Diasporic" for ethnicity, "Black" for race

The black diaspora would include all blacks living outside of Africa (and Melanesia and the Andamanese islands since blacks are indigenous there as well), including Jamaicans, Haitians, black Brazilians, Siddis (a small group of black Indians descended from Africans brought there as slaves by Arab traders), black Arabs (a lot of people don't know that African slaves were brought to the Middle East and not just the Americas, a large number of Yemeni people - for example- have African maternal ancestry), black Latinos, Nigerians, Ghanaians, Tanzanians etc. living in and outside of the U.S. So you'd have the same problem since Jamaican-Americans don't descend from Southern slaves either. As much as it's always ? me off, and I've never heard of an African who didn't identify as 'black' (maybe some Ethiopians/Eritreans/Somalis) I can actually understand why some Americans use 'black' interchangeably with 'historical' or 'Southern descended' black American to avoid the confusion of it all, Nigerian/Ghanaian/Jamaican/Haitian etc.- Americans being 'racial' black Americans but not sharing the same cultural heritage as most black Americans whose families have been in the country since the 18th century. I can understand making that distinction in the U.S for clarity but I've heard people in places like Canada and the U.K as well as the U.S claiming West Indians as black but not Africans (edit - or Americans claiming this about W.I's/Africans in Canada, the U.S or the U.k or elsewhere). If 'black' is an ethnic marker then why would it include black Caribbean people and black Americans, who don't share the same culture, but not Africans? I can't say it's objectively wrong since I consider race/ethnicity to be subjective but it doesn't make sense to me.

If you don't like the moniker "African American" you can take it up with Jesse Jackson. He is the one responsible for the phrase. Co-signed by his buddy Al Sharpton.

Actually, Malcolm X was one of the first people to use the term 'African-American' and he was including blacks from all of the American countries (the Caribbean, his mother was West Indian, after all, Canada, South and Central America). 'Afro' is a prefix for 'African' so 'Afro-American' is the same thing as saying 'African-American', it's strange that people make a distinction between the two.
    ? in here cant name one african dish but wanna be african?!? bet u they know bout some collards tho..

They eat collards, okra and maybe some other black American dishes in several African countries and in places like India, too. I ate both growing up.
    when u realize Africans sold yo ass traded u as a ? commodity u wont be so proud to identify wit them either..

Leaving aside why it's wrong to 'generalize' (or stereotype) an entire group because of the actions of some- or even most-, Africans sold other Africans into slavery. Africans never sold black Americans, black Latinos or West Indians into slavery. Resenting Africans for what they did to other Africans makes no sense because the people you're getting indignant on behalf of were themselves Africans. It was Africans, under the influence of white Southerners, who developed the black American culture.
    Y'all listen to rap but the art was based on African story telling by the griots oh okay. Y'all love bass and beats but Africa is known for the excessive use of drums and base. Y'all love using Ebonics as a vernacular but its origins by linguists show it's Niger Congo vernacular. If you ever saw a voodoo or any west African spiritual celebration you would have thoight it was an ordinary black day at church. The roots are way too strong.

I don't doubt that there are West African influences on black American culture (maybe even mainstream Southern culture?) but I'm always skeptical when people say things like 'rap comes from African griots'. I'm pretty sure hip hop evolved from '70s soul/funk and probably has more European influence than African. Ebonics comes mostly from the southern dialect. I could be wrong and it doesn't matter to me, just saying. I wouldn't disagree with a black American for identifying as African or wanting to maintain a distinct identity, it's subjective to me. I wouldn't even fault a white Southerner who had black ancestry (around 1/5th of them do) from wanting to learn more about their African heritage.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rap and Ebonics come from Africa?

Lmao
  • Stiff
    Options
    You never hear any people want to erase their lineage....But ? . Smh in disgust.

It ain't erasing your lineage. It's acknowledging your own culture and upbringing.

According to the U.S. census one of the fastest growing ethnicities that people are choosing to self-identify with is "American". It's common among southern rednecks. Rednecks don't identify with European-American. That's why they always wanna say "go back to Africa", because they forget that they need to go back to Europe. They even came up with the phrase "Euro Trash" . So this division isn't something that's unique to Blacks. There's a true disconnect between Blacks in America and Blacks in Africa. It's unfortunate but it's very real.. you can't ignore it.

If you're Black and you were born and raised in this country as were your parents, grand parents and great grand parents, and so on.. you're more American than you are African. That's just the reality of it. Case in point, you're going to post your reply to my post denying it in English and not a native African tongue.

We're posting on a hip-hop forum, not a forum for a West African Tribe. Hip Hop culture was created by Black Diasporic people (Black Jamaicans, and Blacks Americans), in America, not in Africa. Hip-Hop culture has roots in African traditions and customs like a lot of our culture does, but it's not an "African" culture.

If you from the hood in America and you get dropped off in some village in Ebonyi, Nigeria.. you're going to encounter a culture and set of values that are not near familiar to you, unless you have done extensive research on that topic. You didn't grow up in that same culture.

We all have roots in Africa--and Africans are our relatives--it would be shameful and ignorant to deny that. But we can't downplay the fact that our culture over here is different from the cultures of West Africa which our ancestors came from centuries ago.

• blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm black period. I was born in America, but I don't identify with this nation with any sense of homeland pride. I'm just a guest here.
    Guest? Don't depreciate yourself like that african. This country was built off the backs of BLACK slaves. This is OUR ? . They want you 2 think like a guest
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in many ways The cultures in west Africa are slowly becoming very similar to what we have in America. especially among young Africans.

This is thanks to globalization and the spreading of American culture.
  • Stiff
    Options
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    like you said if a 1st generation Nigerian lives here, then it's inaccurate to categorize them under the same ethnicity as somebody who descended from people brought here as slaves..

I prefer the term "Black Diasporic" for ethnicity, "Black" for race

The black diaspora would include all blacks living outside of Africa (and Melanesia and the Andamanese islands since blacks are indigenous there as well), including Jamaicans, Haitians, black Brazilians, Siddis (a small group of black Indians descended from Africans brought there as slaves by Arab traders), black Arabs (a lot of people don't know that African slaves were brought to the Middle East and not just the Americas, a large number of Yemeni people - for example- have African maternal ancestry), black Latinos, Nigerians, Ghanaians, Tanzanians etc. living in and outside of the U.S. So you'd have the same problem since Jamaican-Americans don't descend from Southern slaves either. As much as it's always ? me off, and I've never heard of an African who didn't identify as 'black' (maybe some Ethiopians/Eritreans/Somalis) I can actually understand why some Americans use 'black' interchangeably with 'historical' or 'Southern descended' black American to avoid the confusion of it all, Nigerian/Ghanaian/Jamaican/Haitian etc.- Americans being 'racial' black Americans but not sharing the same cultural heritage as most black Americans whose families have been in the country since the 18th century. I can understand making that distinction in the U.S for clarity but I've heard people in places like Canada and the U.K as well as the U.S claiming West Indians as black but not Africans. If 'black' is an ethnic marker then why would it include black Caribbean people and black Americans, who don't share the same culture, but not Africans? I can't say it's objectively wrong since I consider race/ethnicity to be subjective but it doesn't make sense to me.

When you're talking literally then yes African diaspora also includes those who voluntarily migrated from the continent. However in this country, and really in the western hemisphere as a whole when you say "African Diaspora" it's understood that you're talking about the the results of the Atlantic Slave Trade.

So in that same vein, Black Diasporic as an ethnic identifier does include Black Jamaicans, Haitians, Black Brazillians in addition to Black Americans etc, but not the Siddis that you speak of. Black Americans have a long history of cultural ties to Jamaicans and Haitians so we should fall under the same ethnic umbrella, moreso than Africans who come to this country as immigrants.

Jamaican Americans don't descend from southern slaves but they descend from Africans who were kidnapped from their homelands and brought to the Western Hemisphere, just like Blacks in America, or Blacks in Canada, or Blacks in Haiti. So we should identify with each other because we have the same ethnic origin.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm black period. I was born in America, but I don't identify with this nation with any sense of homeland pride. I'm just a guest here.
    Guest? Don't depreciate yourself like that african. This country was built off the backs of BLACK slaves. This is OUR ? . They want you 2 think like a guest

Agreed. It trips me out when super pro black people make comments like that. We deserve our piece of this country just as much as any white person, so why be in such a hurry to throw away your claim.
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    ? what the ? is african bout your ass?

Point taken. But what I was getting at is that many of these people wouldn't want to be identified as 'Black American' either. But many of them would be quick to identify as anything else, Anything other than 'Black' or 'African.'
  • DrJohnHenrikClarke
    DrJohnHenrikClarke Members Posts: 120
    Options
    The black diaspora would include all blacks living outside of Africa (and Melanesia and the Andamanese islands since blacks are indigenous there as well)

Those of Melanesia and the Andamanese islands are not apart of the African diaspora. They are apart of the OOA (out of Africa) populations and adapted to a tropical climate, via climate adaptation (review the glogger effect), which is the result of the dark skin and features within their populations. Whites and Arabs are more genetically closer to Africans than the people of the Melanesia and the Andamanese islands. Such people, along with polynesians are genetically the most distant populations to Africans out of all races/human populations.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the one drop rule isn't real tho
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The black diaspora would include all blacks living outside of Africa (and Melanesia and the Andamanese islands since blacks are indigenous there as well)

Those of Melanesia and the Andamanese islands are not apart of the African diaspora. [/b]They are apart of the OOA (out of Africa) populations and adapted to a tropical climate, via climate adaptation (review the glogger effect), which is the result of the dark skin and features within their populations. Whites and Arabs are more genetically closer to Africans than the people of the Melanesia and the Andamanese islands. Such people, along with polynesians are genetically the most distant populations to Africans out of all races/human populations.
    Diaspora-the dispersion of any people from their original homeland.

So how are they not part of the African diaspora when they came out of Africa too?

Infact they are closer to Africans, because they left and went to locations similar to Africa retaining their African features.
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Rap and Ebonics come from Africa?

Lmao

Ebonics is broken english... Created by african american black slaves.
    Like creole, by French slaves
    And patois, by west indian slaves.
    It was past down n refined.
    If u listen to the structure of ebonics, it is very similar to the structure of many west african languages.

• D0wn
    Options
    Funny how black americans hate their origins.
    I cant speak for the west coast n Midwest, but alotta black American new yorkers hate the south, n ? on southners n thats where majority of them are from...
    Then black Americans hate Africa and that's where they from....

• Shizlansky
    Options
    I cant speak for the west coast n Midwest, but alotta black American new yorkers hate the south, n ? on southners n thats where majority of them are from...

It's also funny how Africans come to America and ? on us.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When you have a family reunion don't act like some of the cousins don't be in the corner talkin about the other cousins and vice versa. It's just like that sometimes. Ain't no family perfect, but we are family, like it or not.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But they show you love when you go over to Africa. Ask yourself why
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    _Lefty wrote: »

When you have a family reunion don't act like some of the cousins don't be in the corner talkin about the other cousins and vice versa. It's just like that sometimes. Ain't no family perfect, but we are family, like it or not.

That's my point.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

THIS!
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

THIS!

No bruh, how many blood gang ? you hate for no reason and end up ? wit, even havin love for? I can think of a few on my side, I know you got a couple bein from cali and all.
  • DrJohnHenrikClarke
    DrJohnHenrikClarke Members Posts: 120
    edited February 2015
    Options

Those of Melanesia and the Andamanese islands are not apart of the African diaspora. [/b]They are apart of the OOA (out of Africa) populations and adapted to a tropical climate, via climate adaptation (review the glogger effect), which is the result of the dark skin and features within their populations. Whites and Arabs are more genetically closer to Africans than the people of the Melanesia and the Andamanese islands. Such people, along with polynesians are genetically the most distant populations to Africans out of all races/human populations.
    Diaspora-the dispersion of any people from their original homeland.

So how are they not part of the African diaspora when they came out of Africa too?

Because they are apart of that small group of Africans that left to populate the rest of the world, they just so happen to move to a tropical region which is why they are dark, and have tropical features. They are not of the African diaspora, if they are so are Europeans and Asians cause they left at the same time when their ancestors left.

They are not of the African Diaspora based on language, and DNA. Europeans are genetically closer to African then those people.

If those people are of African decent why are they not clustering with Africans genetically?

1_2.png

• Shizlansky
    Options
    zombie wrote: »

But they show you love when you go over to Africa. Ask yourself why

And we don't show that to them here?
  • D0wn
    Options

Wrd. N african Blk americans don't ? on each other neither?

? , go smack some hoes.