AllHipHop Review Board

Options

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    You did ad the RosterPlayer #99 review
    I hope you campaign for people to do reviews for this Wale joint like you do Lupe.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    You did ad the RosterPlayer #99 review
    I hope you campaign for people to do reviews for this Wale joint like you do Lupe.

Is the Wale worth a listen let alone critical analysis?
  • KillaCham
    Options
    Everything is worth a listen and an opinion always matters.
  • KillaCham
    Options
    And you slick putting in that 10/10 lol. Dude PM'd me his real score.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ayo Goldie how you give an overall review and didnt finish the review lol
    I'm dropping that Wale one tomorrow
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I listened to the whole album when it first dropped, the review was taking longer to write than I thought it would lol

Ima finish it up later, I think I already wrote more than the minimum amount required tho.
  • KillaCham
    Options
    Anyone have requests for single reviews? Single-game has been weak lately.

And looks like we'll re-visit the B4.DA.$$ review for the next one since that's winning the poll.
  • KillaCham
    Options
    So you guys would put Lupe's joint in Top 10 for 2010 - 2015?
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The album makes more sense when u listen to it in reverse order. Its not a coincidence why the theme of TRON and Adoration of The Maji both use video game references.

Body of Work is pretty much today's society and the Cool 2. Its a really deep song and really depressing if you listen to what he is trying to say, speaking on the anatomy and "make up" of the current time . The way Terrace Martin ended it left a emotional and really sad tone to the song, it was like he was weeping and was in pain. I could really feel what they were trying to do. I took me a lot of listens to really "feel" where he was trying to do. I think the fireworks in the beginning represents celebration of the "cool" not in a good way if that's possible, but in a way were we all adore the evils that will "be the death of us".

In reverse order the song actually speaks on many stories, birth, peer pressure, evils, ultimately death, prison (physically, mentally) loving yourself, and ultimately a eulogy of the Lupe Fiasco life on his Murals. His swan song imo.

The album can be viewed plenty of ways from the life/death, video game, music industry evils, etc. This album is veeeeeery diverse. Probably the most diverse hip hop album I ever encountered.

Quick review, but honestly i think this album is soo diverse that the songs can affect and be perceived from different viewpoints. I can see years from now people will see something new with the overall "body of work" and find a different element to take.

Based on the production, lyrics, depth, and overall art i give this album a 9.2/10

I would give it a 10/10, but i can see this actually growing down the road and affecting me even more.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would.
  • LurkdogAchilles
    LurkdogAchilles Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

easily. the only albums i can think of that were even close are
    How I Got Over, GKMC, and maybe MDBTF
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd ad Undun and Life is Good but T&Y is sitting at number 1 for me.
  • KillaCham
    Options
    Review schedule
    Albums
    Kendrick Lamar - To ? A Butterfly: March 18 - April 8
    Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth: Match 26 - April 8
    Wale - The Album About Nothing: March 31 - April 20

Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$: April 8 - April 26

Singles
    TBD
  • KillaCham
    Options
    ^ I know, I been slacking myself. Been tryna find time to put together this Kendrick review but I work so much at work, then when I'm off I'm either at the gym or don't feel like doing ? but play my game lol.
  • KillaCham
    Options
    2 more days left to submit Kendrick or Lupe reviews #movingon
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    clippyclipp n*gga Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TPAB FOR ME IS A 10/10 ALBUM HAS BEEN ON REPEAT SINCE ITS RELEASE LUPE ALBUM I GIVE A 9 SOME OF THE SKITS ARE USELESS FOR ME.
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    clippyclipp n*gga Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DOT AND LINES HOOK IS SUPER TERRIBLE BY THE WAY

• KillaCham
    Options
    Last day for Lupe & Kendrick @TheEyeronic1

Any mod wanna drop something for Lupe's so we have 2 mod scores?
  • KillaCham
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    6.5?
    Damn wal eye
  • KillaCham
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Wale -- Album About Nothing

I must say, as of late I've been slowly warming up to Wale and favoured some of his tracks like The Followers, MMG Under ? , etc. I had high hopes for the Album About Nothing b/c it was being hyped on social media as his magnum opus. The album was alright, not one I'd go back to but satisfactory regardless. I felt that Wale lost a good opportunity to move himself from the second tier/B-list and into the A-list as a true force in Hip-Hop. The album was alright, not as good as The Gifted but still a decent effort. This album seemed more like an album of throwaways with a few new tracks recorded and placed here and there. One thing I did like was that the album wasn't bombarded with features. That's something we're beginning to see more of in music and I like it.

Perhaps Wale's problem is not so much his music but him trying to "make everybody like him" rather than just doing him and not giving a ? .
    I think that he needs to challenge himself creatively or hang out with a Kanye West or Pharrell in order to bring out the star that's bursting to come out. Not entirely a bad album there are some bangers. To be blunt.... The album is lukewarm at best

Rating: 6.5/10

Favourite tracks: Girls On Drugs, Intro About Nothing, The Helium Balloon, The Pessimist, The Need To Know, The One Time In Houston (iuno I thought it was cool)
    I definitely feel the bold/underlined and I think that became even more apparent with his recent "I want respect" rant. Thanks for the insight on this. I'm gonna listen for myself too tomorrow probably.
  • KillaCham
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ? it, I don't have time to write as much as I wanted. I'm just gonna cram my take on Kendrick's joint and drop it in like the next 45.
  • KillaCham
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here's Part 1 of 2.. I type too damn much.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f6/Kendrick_Lamar_-_To_? _a_Butterfly.png[/IMG]

You live, you learn, you enlighten. With so much racial tension, identity stripping, and misguidance in America today, it’s about that time we were delivered an album made by someone who is able to enlighten us. This project picks up some time after the point which Good kid, M.A.A.D. city left off. Whereas GkMc had a young Kendrick in real-time narrating the struggles of his teenage years in the hood of Compton, To ? A Butterfly brings us to and through his struggles with social-emotion cognition which results in what we come to know as ‘survivor’s guilt’, and the struggles of African American people within the institutionalization of America - institutionalization which constantly threatens the radical consciousness of black culture.

After a brief sample of Boris Gardiner's ‘Every ? Is a Star,’ the album kicks off with the G-funk-emerged opener ‘Wesley’s Theory’ – where the concept of being a ‘survivor’ who’s “made it out of the hood” and into the hands of wealth and prosperity leads to falling into the traps set by the American government and also to aforementioned ‘survivor’s guilt’. On the hook Kendrick sings “At first I did love you, but now I just wanna ? ” (a line that could very well be directed toward GkMc girlfriend Sherane) in between the lava lamp vocals of Thundercat and the spoken word of the King of Funk himself George Clinton. It seems as though he has found a new love to compensate.

The subject of money consciousness continues on the next track ‘For Free? (Interlude)’, where we find Kendrick scatting in the face of America over a jazz beat about how not only he isn’t free but is always owed a debt, and moves onto the funky cut ‘King Kunta’ – a 4 minute triumphant expression of the new-found wealth and power of a man who came from almost nothing to emerging as the one holding all of the yams. At this point, whether he yet realizes or [apparently] not, institutionalism is playing as a cocoon to his caterpillar stage whether that is representative of being trapped by selling one’s soul for money and power, by his pact to keep loyal to his homies, or by his own thoughts and internal skirmish. The latter comes into effect on ‘u’, serving as the definite ? of the album. Here we are exposed to Kendrick at his breaking point asserting to the man in the mirror how “loving you in complicated”, which transfigures into a colossal understatement by the second half of the track. Self-loath, suicidal thoughts, and alcohol-induced disillusionment within a hotel room is exactly illustrative of this scenario. Piano keys and trumpets dragging over the slow-tempoed Taz Arnold beat create a melting instrumental much similar our protagonist’s present state of mind. This track is a perfect showcase of how the production and tone in Kendrick’s voice takes you exactly to where you need to be throughout this album.

Even with Pharrell decreeing how “We gon’ be alright” on ‘Alright’, the track that boasts self-assurance in order to avoid self-destruction, there is sure to still be a bit of self-doubt left over from all that has led up to the hotel breakdown in the previous track…

I'm tired.. I'll do the rest later but I did end up giving it an A+ (9.6/10).
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To late, TPAB review time is over.

I joke. Great review so far.
  • KillaCham
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Final scores for Kendrick/Lupe (also posted on the Scoreboard in Post #2 of this thread):

Kendrick-Page-after_zpsvl2q3un5.png
    Member score
    eternal soldier: 4/5
    silverfoxx: 9.4/10
    BobOblah: 9/10
    D0wn: 10/10
    bless the child: 10/10
    G.Avant: 10/10
    Listencloser: 7.2/10
    jazzybella: 9/10
    LonedogAchilles: 9/10
    IceBergTaylor: 9.2/10

ModScores
    Sion: 9.5/10
    YoungGoldie: 9.5/10
    KillaCham: 9.6/10

Lupe-Review-Page-after_zpsafyvmkth.png
    Member score
    Listencloser: 9.8/10
    IceBergTaylor: 9.7/10
    power_wisdom: 10/10
    LonedogAchilles: 9.9/10
    Roster Player #99: 8.9/10
    TheEyeronic1: 9/10
    silverfoxx: 9.2/10

ModScores
    Stew: 9/10
    Sion: 9/10

Props to all who gave input. We got a lot done. All reviews are posted on the first page so if anyone wants opinions or point of views on any of these before or after they listen... its right there. I definitely enjoy reading them.