AllHipHop Review Board

Options

Comments

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea i read that one, i guess that translates to "caught feelings" for u geeks. *shrugs*
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yea i read that one, i guess that translates to "caught feelings" for u geeks. *shrugs*

The irony of this post tho lmao as you was beating your chest and angrily typing your previous post foh Bama go cry some more over nobody givin a ? about Dark Sky Paradise
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    typical, no proper rebuttal or point so to save face u say im angry. then u continue to miss the point. hell i aint even think dark sky paradise was GREAT. im just sayin reviewin the same 4 artists aint da bidness. but somehow since lupe's score is used as an example instead of kendricks(it could have easily been the other way around), u think im insulting u for some posts i havent even read lol. and i hate to use sales as an argument but u sayin nobody give a ? about an album that sold much more than lupe's. i think somebody gave a ? just sayin u ? ass yankee

kanye-shrug1.jpg
  • IceBergTaylor
    edited March 2015
    Options
    typical, no proper rebuttal or point so to save face u say im angry. then u continue to miss the point. hell i aint even think dark sky paradise was GREAT. im just sayin reviewin the same 4 artists aint da bidness. but somehow since lupe's score is used as an example instead of kendricks(it could have easily been the other way around), u think im insulting u for some posts i havent even read lol. and i hate to use sales as an argument but u sayin nobody give a ? about an album that sold much more than lupe's. i think somebody gave a ? just sayin u ? ass yankee

kanye-shrug1.jpg

My ? , you followed up my post talkin literally about nothing, bringing up irrelevant ? and doing your more of the same lame jokes. I asked you straight up questions which instead of answering you lashed out. And now you've resorted to talking about sales in a MUSIC REVIEW thread. You taking credit over nothing. You are a ? ass bama that got up in arms that nobody cared enough to review Dark Sky Paradise and the Krit apparently, deal with it. Either follow up my original post with something of substance or ? & stop whining and derailing the thread.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn lupe did only sell 40k

Thats his lowest firstweek sales

Lol
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

kanye-shrug1.jpg

My ? , you followed up my post talkin literally about nothing, bringing up irrelevant ? and doing your more of the same lame jokes. I asked you straight up questions which instead of answering you lashed out. And now you've resorted to talking about sales in a MUSIC REVIEW thread. You taking credit over nothing. You are a ? ass bama that got up in arms that nobody cared enough to review Dark Sky Paradise and the Krit apparently, deal with it. Either follow up my original post with something of substance or ? & stop whining and derailing the thread.

your original post wasnt about ? bruh. just u showing fatherless yankee ? traits as usual. uve been missing the point this entire time.

i digress tho, i gotta sit on the porch of my raggedy bama ass shack and hunt the coyotes.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    ? just skipped over the krit or big sean or luda review. lets not just leave this ? to certain ic darlings. and i think it should be something like 10 reviews needed to count, just encourage more postin or take reviews outta the album thread. 3 people stanning/lovin the lupe album got the score lookin like its the best album in the history of albums, hard to take serious.
    Hey if you want something to be up for review, let it be known. This is project is extremely open to outside input... and I agree - maybe it should be upped to 5. I want scores to reflect general consensus of us Reason posters and not just the fans of the artist. That's why I said in the Lupe thread those with good, bad, or average feelings toward the album are welcome. I don't want people to be inclined to drop a review only when they like a project. I want those with an opinion in general to wanna be involved.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options

kanye-shrug1.jpg

your original post wasnt about ? bruh. just u showing fatherless yankee ? traits as usual. uve been missing the point this entire time.

i digress tho, i gotta sit on the porch of my raggedy bama ass shack and hunt the coyotes.

The point wasn't missed, you was countered and you got upset, we can pull that particular post back up. The irony of your recycled "fatherless" insults is how petty you became once this actually turned into a debate. When in doubt, start tossing insults. Half the folks in here who reviewed the Kendrick wrote those reviews just as quick as they listened to the album they called classic off the rip. Yet more of your focus is on the Lupe review. I'm not bout to continue if you see no reason to logically debate.

My next post will be a review of the Kendrick and than I'll do the Big Sean.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    So basically our review is "hard to take serious" and less credible because we're fans who sat with the album for bout 3 months and analyzed it the way a review should be?

not what i said ? .
    Because other than that fact your critique of our review seems like hatin.

just sayin lets get more reviews so its less skewed and lets get more albums to review so its not the same ol ? , read slowly ?
    Like, it was cool when Kendrick's rating was sky high, wasnt it?

prolly needs more reviews too, i wasnt leaving it out. i bet it has more reviews than lupe now that i think about it tho
    Keep in mind the difference btw the Lupe reviews and the timing of the Kendrick reviews. But I dont see you saying you cant take those ppl seriously. I'm just making observation.

? i said something about ? jumpin the gun in that album thread what the ? are u talkin about.
    I already know you're not big on Lupe

uon know me
    does that mean I can say the same "its hard to take serious" idea towards your post?

? u can if u want its cool. u seem to be taking my post as an insult against lupe's album and an personal dig at your review, its neither. my post is about adding more albums to be reviewed and more reviews to the thread, if u dont take that serious, idk why u even here.
    and Lol at @KamPushMe I swear that ? is a ? . If everyone isnt in agreement Kendrick isnt the man he's gonna be mad about it

what in the ? is wrong with you?

when was this a debate? u just typed a bunch of ? cuz u mad i said lupe instead of kendrick. look, will it make u feel better if i edit post?
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? is wrong with you ? man this is an album review thread take this ? to ?
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Summer a nice airy intro for the lyrical storm you about to get.

Mural is the first hit of dope that gets you hooked and even after almost 9 minutes you still want more. With a insane beat and lyrics with double and triple meaning, this song set any doubt that Lupe is an elite mc. 10/10

Blur Hands is a melodic song that sounds like a single with a hidden message. ? you to all the haters and Atlantic record. Great song. 10/10

Dotted lines is a song with a catchy hook and a cryptic message about staying true to your morals and the importants of not selling your soul for riches. 9/10

Summer is another seasonal track that sets you up for the next set of tracks.

Prisoners 1&2 is a story track that explain prison from each perspective in two different songs. Dope tracks, with his sister saying a poem in the middle. I like the part 2 better as he switches his flow along with the beat 10/10

Body of work is a jazzy song that have reference of scenes from Deep cover. I believe the song speaks of the glamour of illegal life and his experience as a music artist. Another great track with crazy lyrics.
    10/10

Little death is a song that deals with our weakness as humans. The flesh is weak, is the premise of this song.
    10/10

No Scratches is about a relationship that is about to end violently unless both partys bow out. This song could be about his record label, his hater, hip Hop or a woman.
    10/10

Winter is another season interlude that is cold and hard.

Chopper is a super ? posse cut with a bunch of hood dudes that are probably more goonish then lyricist. Each spit 32 bars about guns and hood ? .
    9.7/10

Delivery is a social cometary about the ills of the hood vs the rest of America and the misconception of crime such as drugs and it origins.
    10/10

Madonna (and other mother of the hood) is about the lives of mothers and sons growing and living in the hood. And how tragic it could end. It is also a parallel story of Jesus.
    10/10

Adoration of the Magi is a song with a lot of video games reference and albums with children on the covers. It's a song about influences and growing up. And a lot of other things.10/10

T.R.O.N. is a song with AB Soul with stands for when They reminisce over New. The song features a banger for a beat with Lupe spassing out and AB stealing the show. TRON is a movie that came out the same year Lupe was born 1982. And the song represents begining with Lupe and AB playing a loose role of ? and Jesus.10/10

Spring the outro

Overall this album is the best I heard in a while. Every song is important and holds up as a complex work. Lupe dares to be smarter than everyone and challenge the listeners to comprehend and study this piece of art. Unlike the album his record label wanted him to drop. This is next level hip hop. Lupe also hinted that you could listen to it backwards and it's a story of his life as hinted on Blur Lines where he tells you "You started where it end..." This Album like dope and is very addictive. It's Lupe Stillmatic. Anyone who don't like this review, go ? yourself. Peace.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Interludes

Liked em. All were relevant. Creative and masterfully performed and written. The ? had a gotdamn string section for Christ sake. The detail, etc. I can go on. Tens

Mural- ? was crazy on the first listen. I was 8 songs in and was still shakin my head in disbelief at this song. Do we even have to question this? Tens.

Blur my hands - the weakest point on the album. But I like the fact that it came as early as it did. A lot of simile/references lines. Lyrics-10, hook-9, beat-7.

Dots and Lines- banjo threw me off at first. But I figured there was some significance. Never know with this ? . Whoever it was played the ? out of it. As a lover of STEM and music I really liked the references on this one. The hook is catchy too and the beat is tight. A lot of textures that didn't collide, I can appreciate that (808s, violins and synths). The fact that he can package life lessons in the manner he did reaffirms his status amongst the great writers in hip hop. If not the greatest (yea ? I said it). Tens.

Prisoner 1&2- I thought it was an ode to Chilly. But I saw it was deeper than that. There's a nod tho which I can appreciate, beside the fact Chill's arrest affected me personally. His imagery and storytelling ability was vivid as ? . You'd think the ? been to jail before. Or had written a treatment for OZ or some ? . Then the second part. Mad energy. Liked the hook. ? is just clever and well put together as far what he wanted to convey. Tens.

Body of work- this ? so dope. The hook. The beat. The lyrics and that GOTDAMN SAX SOLO. Y'all ? already broke down the references and wordplay so I won't go into that. But ? is too cold. Tens ? .

Little death- aiight. So it took a while for me to like this. Because the three different subjects didn't coincide with the hook at first. And didn't understand what she was sayin when she said le petit mort until a friend a mine understood it. I likes the verses. Especially how he opened it. ? was smooth. Plus i have debates like this at work all the time which summarizes in a couple bars. One thing that stood out was the use of sfx. I heard it more prominently as it faded out at the end. And it tied it all together for me. Idk if he did that or what but the ? is genius. It's a recurring thing throughout the album too. Tens.

No scratches- I hate the beat the most. But what kept me listening were the bars. It was a personal record. I thought it was geared more towards his situation with the label. With the weekend at Bernie's lines and the walk thru echo park ? and the "I know you're in the seat but let's get outta that before injuries" line, amongst other ? but idk. The hook is tight too. And the sfx tie a lot of his metaphors and similes together. 9.5/10 tho.

Chopper- I get it. I really do. Plus i thought it kinda alludes to subject matter behind "deliver". But fam-lay kinda ? this up for me, badly. And I used to like that ? too. But his verse sounded like what I'd imagine Steve Francis would look like if played in the nba right now. Beat knock tho. I think my favorite verses outside Lu's are Billy's and Trouble. But everybody else did they thing too. 9.9/10

Deliver- dope concept/play on words and apparently homophone use with the piece of man/pizza man ? . But this ? flow from beginning to end is flawless dog. And ever worse he double times it at the end with some dope cartoon references. Beat is tight, you know the hook. Tens my guy.

Madonna- maybe my favorite on the album. Idk. Hard to choose. But this ? is just hard. Really like how he opened it. The hook is dope as hell and the beat is tight. I like the story of the song and how he coupled it with a paralleled scenario in the video. 10.

Adoration of Magi- to me this one has the da Vinci level of sophistication that "Madonna's" coarse storyline didn't. It's like a timeline/synopsis of his childhood and coming of age story. Flow is tight. Imagery, duh. Hook is dope. Beat is dope. Tenzo.

TRON- ? . Blackout is an understatement. Word play for days. Flow is ? . I used to skip this ? . But I listened closer. It's crazy. And ab solidified a new fan with this verse and few others I've heard from him. Beat is insane man. Ten/10.

Like I said. The attention to detail on this album made me appreciate it a lot more as an artist and as one that covets gems. Finding meaning in things that aren't necessarily there or valued at a surface made me appreciate the depth of this album. Always been a fan of lupe. Granted I've never heard FL2 and Lasers. They don't exist to me. But this ? is ? good. Like heralded writing good. In most cases unparalleled.

His presentation is cold and off putting on the outside. Because I think a lot of people think he's an ? . But that's thought of most intellects. The fact that he can fit his level of intellect in a rap or album cover or then me is most impressive about dude. Fact is: You can't remember rap better than this ? . He can actually get on a track with Jay and not look foolish. Not many can do that. And he could do it when his career was in it's infancy. So respect him.

AOTY bruh.

if not then it's tied with Kdot ? for it.

Until Ye ? drop, hopefully it ain't wack but I got good hopes for it.

8.9/10, with potential to grow.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Summer a nice airy intro for the lyrical storm you about to get.

Mural is the first hit of dope that gets you hooked and even after almost 9 minutes you still want more. With a insane beat and lyrics with double and triple meaning, this song set any doubt that Lupe is an elite mc. 10/10

Blur Hands is a melodic song that sounds like a single with a hidden message. ? you to all the haters and Atlantic record. Great song. 10/10

Dotted lines is a song with a catchy hook and a cryptic message about staying true to your morals and the importants of not selling your soul for riches. 9/10

Summer is another seasonal track that sets you up for the next set of tracks.

Prisoners 1&2 is a story track that explain prison from each perspective in two different songs. Dope tracks, with his sister saying a poem in the middle. I like the part 2 better as he switches his flow along with the beat 10/10

Body of work is a jazzy song that have reference of scenes from Deep cover. I believe the song speaks of the glamour of illegal life and his experience as a music artist. Another great track with crazy lyrics.
    10/10

Little death is a song that deals with our weakness as humans. The flesh is weak, is the premise of this song.
    10/10

No Scratches is about a relationship that is about to end violently unless both partys bow out. This song could be about his record label, his hater, hip Hop or a woman.
    10/10

Winter is another season interlude that is cold and hard.

Chopper is a super ? posse cut with a bunch of hood dudes that are probably more goonish then lyricist. Each spit 32 bars about guns and hood ? .
    9.7/10

Delivery is a social cometary about the ills of the hood vs the rest of America and the misconception of crime such as drugs and it origins.
    10/10

Madonna (and other mother of the hood) is about the lives of mothers and sons growing and living in the hood. And how tragic it could end. It is also a parallel story of Jesus.
    10/10

Adoration of the Magi is a song with a lot of video games reference and albums with children on the covers. It's a song about influences and growing up. And a lot of other things.10/10

T.R.O.N. is a song with AB Soul with stands for when They reminisce over New. The song features a banger for a beat with Lupe spassing out and AB stealing the show. TRON is a movie that came out the same year Lupe was born 1982. And the song represents begining with Lupe and AB playing a loose role of ? and Jesus.10/10

Spring the outro

Overall this album is the best I heard in a while. Every song is important and holds up as a complex work. Lupe dares to be smarter than everyone and challenge the listeners to comprehend and study this piece of art. Unlike the album his record label wanted him to drop. This is next level hip hop. Lupe also hinted that you could listen to it backwards and it's a story of his life as hinted on Blur Lines where he tells you "You started where it end..." This Album like dope and is very addictive. It's Lupe Stillmatic. Anyone who don't like this review, go ? yourself. Peace.

Whats your total score?

I agree that this is his Stillmatic
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    Lyrics 10
    Production 10
    Creativity10
    Content10
    Cohesivity 10
    Total Score 10
  • Listencloser
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How many T&Y reviews does that make Cham? I think there is one more in the Lupe thread.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    ? just skipped over the krit or big sean or luda review. lets not just leave this ? to certain ic darlings. and i think it should be something like 10 reviews needed to count, just encourage more postin or take reviews outta the album thread. 3 people stanning/lovin the lupe OR ANY album and making the score look like its the best album in the history of albums OR ONE REVIEW BEING A HUNDRED AND ANOTHER BEIN 0 AND MAKIN IT LOOK LIKE A BELOW AVG ALBUM, hard to take serious.

there, so u lupe stans can let that ? ? go and stop cryin, jeebus.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    ? just skipped over the krit or big sean or luda review. lets not just leave this ? to certain ic darlings. and i think it should be something like 10 reviews needed to count, just encourage more postin or take reviews outta the album thread. 3 people stanning/lovin the lupe album got the score lookin like its the best album in the history of albums, hard to take serious.
    Hey if you want something to be up for review, let it be known. This is project is extremely open to outside input... and I agree - maybe it should be upped to 5. I want scores to reflect general consensus of us Reason posters and not just the fans of the artist. That's why I said in the Lupe thread those with good, bad, or average feelings toward the album are welcome. I don't want people to be inclined to drop a review only when they like a project. I want those with an opinion in general to wanna be involved.

cool, i suggest Black Hystori Project 2 up for review, ill be byke with mine a lil later
  • LurkdogAchilles
    LurkdogAchilles Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TETSUO & YOUTH

if you've ever in your life been a fan of Lupe at any point in his career, this is the
    album you've been waiting for him to make. lyrics on top of lyrics wrapped in lyrics,
    with layers and layers of depth. this is the album for people who like their music to
    make them think, or turn the lights off and enjoy a nice audio movie.

i think one of the things that makes this album special though, is you can not care
    about super lyricism that much and this is still a great album. the MUSIC is great.
    a lot of thought and planning went into how each song would sound, and how each
    song sounds with the other songs. and how each song, along with the season interludes
    set a mood for wherever you are within the album.

my favorite tracks are basically the Winter section: Chopper, Deliver, Madonna, Adoration of
    the Magi and T.R.O.N.

initially i thought Chopper was too long, too many ehhhh rappers. now, while i still think a
    couple guys could've been left out, everybody got it in on that track. if you can catch each
    flow and hear what they saying, everybody did their thing. standouts Glasses, Buk and Billy Blu.

T.R.O.N. took a while for me to catch on as well, but man got damn Lu was spitting, and
    AbSoul came through like a ? driver and just wrecked ? . i think its the best verse i
    ever heard him spit.

p.s. my favorite thing about this album: make a playlist with the tracks in reverse order. it
    sounds like a completely different album, and imo its better. it tells a different story than in
    the original order. if i listen to the whole album, its how i listen but that's just me.

total score: 9.5/10

EDIT: i thought about it some more, i have to bump up the score. there just aren't
    any flaws. anything i could say was a flaw is personal preference. 9.9/10
  • LurkdogAchilles
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TO ? A BUTTERFLY

i wish every black person in the world would listen to this album.
    this project tackles growing up black in america, growing up period,
    getting to know yourself good and bad and all the pain and confusion
    that can come with that, racism, classism, success, the positives and
    negatives that come with that success, battling inner demons, the evils
    of the world, spirituality....

TPAB gets deep in its own way, not deep with metaphors and poetic devices
    but deep with emotion. i don't wanna take away from Kdot's lyrical ability cuz
    he shows his skill there too, but the simplicity in which he got his thoughts
    and feelings embedded into these songs is spectacular.

for Kendrick to come with this album after GKMC which was creative in its
    own right, just makes you wonder how much more creative can he get. do
    we want more creative than this?

last but not least, the convo with Pac...... that ? was crazy. i didn't even realize
    it was Pac at first, it would have been dope on the album if it was a convo with
    some random other person but the fact that it was Pac, and it sounded like it
    was a real convo. i'm honestly surprised nobody else has done somethin like that.

my favorite tracks: Institutionalized, Hood Politics, Alright, For Sale

Alright is my ? !!!! how does this joint feel so good and hit so hard at the
    same time. it aint been looking good for us the past few months but i mean
    how can you not feel a little better after listening to this?

Complexion is dope and i'm really feeling the Rapsody feature, i was put on
    to her last year (thanks IC!) and i think she held her own. and that 3rd verse
    on Momma, about knowing everything to not knowing ? . that ? just speaks
    to me man, its like he rapping about me.

dislikes: the first part of 'u' the "loving you is complicated" just hurts my ears.
    i still listen but musically i'm not feeling it.
    i'm not a big fan of 'i' but i respect it and i'm glad its on the album.
    not much to dislike

overall: 9/10
  • Listencloser
    Options
    TETSUO & YOUTH

if you've ever in your life been a fan of Lupe at any point in his career, this is the
    album you've been waiting for him to make. lyrics on top of lyrics wrapped in lyrics,
    with layers and layers of depth. this is the album for people who like their music to
    make them think, or turn the lights off and enjoy a nice audio movie.

i think one of the things that makes this album special though, is you can not care
    about super lyricism that much and this is still a great album. the MUSIC is great.
    a lot of thought and planning went into how each song would sound, and how each
    song sounds with the other songs. and how each song, along with the season interludes
    set a mood for wherever you are within the album.

my favorite tracks are basically the Winter section: Chopper, Deliver, Madonna, Adoration of
    the Magi and T.R.O.N.

initially i thought Chopper was too long, too many ehhhh rappers. now, while i still think a
    couple guys could've been left out, everybody got it in on that track. if you can catch each
    flow and hear what they saying, everybody did their thing. standouts Glasses, Buk and Billy Blu.

T.R.O.N. took a while for me to catch on as well, but man got damn Lu was spitting, and
    AbSoul came through like a ? driver and just wrecked ? . i think its the best verse i
    ever heard him spit.

p.s. my favorite thing about this album: make a playlist with the tracks in reverse order. it
    sounds like a completely different album, and imo its better. it tells a different story than in
    the original order. if i listen to the whole album, its how i listen but that's just me.

total score: 9.5/10

Next Album Review: Youth and Tetsuo
  • LurkdogAchilles
    Options
    i did a TPAB review, i don't know where it is...
    i can see it under my replies on my profile but its not in this thread
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^ coding was messed up in your T&Y post and messed up your post after. Fixed.

Lupe is killing it with the score right now lol.

Remember: scores don't have to be only out of 10. They can be out of 4, out of 5, 10, 100, or letter grades (A to F).
  • Roster Player #99
    Options
    like the campaign for the Lupe album is taking away from any credibility that the album is good for the person that hasn't even listened to it. I can't remember the poster's name but the ? has an agenda.

these are phenomenal albums. incomparable IMO. Look at the level at which the two were performed and how different their results were. If anything it doesn't put one above the other but shows you where they are in their artistry.

Kdot's 95 point whatever doesn't even translate to Lupe's scoring realm and vice versa. As hip hop albums, in a vacuum, their both classic material.

And not no gotdamn Stillmatic.....that average ass ? . Y'all gon stop comparing ? to Nas man damn. Had to throw that in there.
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    like the campaign for the Lupe album is taking away from any credibility that the album is good for the person that hasn't even listened to it. I can't remember the poster's name but the ? has an agenda.

these are phenomenal albums. incomparable IMO. Look at the level at which the two were performed and how different their results were. If anything it doesn't put one above the other but shows you where they are in their artistry.

Kdot's 95 point whatever doesn't even translate to Lupe's scoring realm and vice versa. As hip hop albums, in a vacuum, their both classic material.

And not no gotdamn Stillmatic.....that average ass ? . Y'all gon stop comparing ? to Nas man damn. Had to throw that in there.

I compared T&Y to Stillmatic. It was NAS & Lupe 5th album. Their come back album. And both had amazing songs. Poison, Rewind, One Mic, Ether, that album was far from average ass ? .
  • Roster Player #99
    Options
    I can dig it. But it's pales in comparison. To me. As an avid Nas fan, it was a hit 7/10. Not to turn this thread into that. But the fact that's it was their fifth album is the only similarity to me.