TheGOAT wrote: »
    ^ LOL at listing basically every song
    Might as well go on head and call it classic lol
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He's missing arguably the best song on the album.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHTDhJR770w
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My review though. I didn't run and call it a classic. And as I listed the songs off, it was sorta like being hungry in a supermarket and those are the ones that caught me on first or second listen.
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Might as well go on head and call it classic lol

Might as well but then I'll get 50 responses why it's too early to tell. Basically the ? ? is fighting about in the album thread.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aite afer letting the album settle in, Im ready to give my review:

POTENTIAL. This Album theme is Potential. Potential in you, me, us.

Going into the album, tried to ignore the idea of who Kendrick Lamar is and look at the album like its my first time hearing K. Dot. Basically with a open mind. This album is bold, complex artistic love story of a Black man who struggles with the pressure of stardom, black pride, and self love. Iroincally this album is also black excellence, which follows with sacrifcies following depression, oppression, and aggression. The empahsis of soul elements of black funk, jazz, and rnb is so blatant, that it seems Kendrick was implying a statement sonically to make listeners AWARE of these sounds.

Kendrick ideally attempt with this record was to make a stand with his music and shine light Black musical genres, as well as huge Black issues that strikes us daily. Its not all necessary a PRO BLACK album, but its heavily favorite to speak Blacks in dire times of needs. What makes the album so dope is that K.Dot is also speaking on his vicies and to himself, knowing that he is apart of the problem. Which is why recent photos of image art shows him depicted with black boys, and money and liquor. Vices and depression dominates this album theme. Lucy (The Devil) is heavily mentioned, which I assume Kendrick intentionally did to show how much evils exist not only in the "entertainment industry" but also with all of us. The things we place value in, equates to our forms of self hate (killing ourselves and each other) like money, ? , drugs, etc.

Although many may find beat swithces annoying and pointless, as a producer i totally get it. It represents levels of abstract expression and art, which conveys messages to listeners in a visual way. Huge breakdowns, and outtta nowhere switches takes an almost "improv jazz"like expression. Sounds like U is what really make this album stands out. With Kendrick position in music, most artists pride and ego would not allow them to admit and face there demons (this is is mainstream sophmore album). And songs shining light about the value of Money is a eye opener to a current culture that praise the dollar as its ? .

Also i realize on Mortal man Kendrick keeps referring to U, which is a sequel to the track U. He is speaking to listners as well as himself. Which is amazingly done, becuase at the end of the day he is a fan of himself, but he is also looking for loyality to loving himself.

Overall this album has so many underlying themes and is structure to be enjoyed and concluded from diffrent angles. Albums like this can potentially grow into diffrent themes and leave all listners with some way of finding inspiration from the messages. Its sonically important for a current culture of nonchalant, adhd druggies with the importance of soul and love is vacant. I look forward to listening to this album for months and months and gaining a whole new love, appreciation, and inspiration for the art, but most importantly the love of myself. I cant recall the last time ive seen potential in a music album where: a wave motion of chills,emotional impact of love and anger, and lastly a groove of bass rifts overpowered my forgoten soul to force me to just "move and dance " spirtually mentally and physically This may potentially grow into a small revolution of pride and empathy, and as a important piece of art for our generation.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »

Going into the album, tried to ignore the idea of who Kendrick Lamar is and look at the album like its my first time hearing K. Dot. Basically with a open mind. This album is bold, complex artistic love story of a Black man who struggles with the pressure of stardom, black pride, and self love. Iroincally this album is also black excellence, which follows with sacrifcies following depression, oppression, and aggression. The empahsis of soul elements of black funk, jazz, and rnb is so blatant, that it seems Kendrick was implying a statement sonically to make listeners AWARE of these sounds.

Kendrick ideally attempt with this record was to make a stand with his music and shine light Black musical genres, as well as huge Black issues that strikes us daily. Its not all necessary a PRO BLACK album, but its heavily favorite to speak Blacks in dire times of needs. What makes the album so dope is that K.Dot is also speaking on his vicies and to himself, knowing that he is apart of the problem. Which is why recent photos of image art shows him depicted with black boys, and money and liquor. Vices and depression dominates this album theme. Lucy (The Devil) is heavily mentioned, which I assume Kendrick intentionally did to show how much evils exist not only in the "entertainment industry" but also with all of us. The things we place value in, equates to our forms of self hate (killing ourselves and each other) like money, ? , drugs, etc.

Although many may find beat swithces annoying and pointless, as a producer i totally get it. It represents levels of abstract expression and art, which conveys messages to listeners in a visual way. Huge breakdowns, and outtta nowhere switches takes an almost "improv jazz"like expression. Sounds like U is what really make this album stands out. With Kendrick position in music, most artists pride and ego would not allow them to admit and face there demons (this is is mainstream sophmore album). And songs shining light about the value of Money is a eye opener to a current culture that praise the dollar as its ? .

Also i realize on Mortal man Kendrick keeps referring to U, which is a sequel to the track U. He is speaking to listners as well as himself. Which is amazingly done, becuase at the end of the day he is a fan of himself, but he is also looking for loyality to loving himself.

Overall this album has so many underlying themes and is structure to be enjoyed and concluded from diffrent angles. Albums like this can potentially grow into diffrent themes and leave all listners with some way of finding inspiration from the messages. Its sonically important for a current culture of nonchalant, adhd druggies with the importance of soul and love is vacant. I look forward to listening to this album for months and months and gaining a whole new love, appreciation, and inspiration for the art, but most importantly the love of myself. I cant recall the last time ive seen potential in a music album where: a wave motion of chills,emotional impact of love and anger, and lastly a groove of bass rifts overpowered my forgoten soul to force me to just "move and dance " spirtually mentally and physically This may potentially grow into a small revolution of pride and empathy, and as a important piece of art for our generation.
    Dope review. I agree with most points. Too much emphasis is put on the unconventionality of the production. While I like the instrumentals regardless, it's really about being a part of the expression. I have no problem when the beat flips because its follows the current mood of the album OR song and tends to match the emotion. Very well put-together.

Btw what's your rating? @silverfoxx
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Got links to all reviews so far on the 2nd post. Check it.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    silverfoxx wrote: »

Dope review. I agree with most points. Too much emphasis is put on the unconventionality of the production. While I like the instrumentals regardless, it's really about being a part of the expression. I have no problem when the beat flips because its follows the current mood of the album OR song and tends to match the emotion. Very well put-together.

Btw what's your rating? @silverfoxx
    From first seasons of listens, I got it at a 9.4/10

Its a great piece of work from the start, but it can really grow and stand the time to be something truly worthy. When I first hear GKMC my first reaction was 9 /10 and it grew to a 9.5/10. I can definitely see this album growing and aging MASSIVELY, I truly believe people, myself included, is not ready for this. We have all been conditioned sonically, and spiritually to void out that "special" feeling that music once brought. I can see this album helping a lot of folks break that vacancy of emptiness. This album shows the power and music.

Music incorporates vibrations, which is the biggest secret to man, that holds extradoinary power. Its no secret the effects it has on our ways of thinking, and culture. This album places importantance on once "good vibrations" and will make people believe in soul again.
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are so many themes I can identify with on this album, leaving the hood and learning how the world really works, being a black man in the corporate arena, trying to balance where your from with where your at, the internal conflict that comes from being 'young and gettin it' when you far from home, coming back home and seeing how all your worldly knowledge doesn't translate in a place where ? are in survival mode 24/7. The second verse of Momma is like this brother read my mind and put it in a rap.

@silverfoxx you said you approached it as if you didn't know Kendrick but to me this is one of the most personal and introspective records I've ever heard. Literally soul on wax. This isn't for the kids, you need some life experience to fully appreciate what is being said here. In a culture where so much emphasis is placed on being 'forever young' a piece of work like this seems out of place but imo its long overdue.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I enjoy this album but it is just not sonically there for me. I want to love it because of the message and theme but it just fails to captivate me.

7/10
  • Ranxx
    Options
    I enjoy this album but it is just not sonically there for me. I want to love it because of the message and theme but it just fails to captivate me.

7/10

What the message or the theme?
  • Listencloser
    Options
    Ranxx wrote: »

7/10

What the message or the theme?
    It has been articulated in many ways in the other thread but to me it was his attempt to captivate his community without sacrificing his artistry or soul. Where I think he succeeded in not sacrificing his art and soul I don't think succeeds in galvanizing young black people as pac did.

The beats no matter how Funk, Jazz and Neo Soul infused don't connect like a Oatkast spottieottiedopaliscious, Nas Get Down or Lupe Little Death. The lyrics just serve the surface roll of supporting the themes without much deeper interpretations. I know that I keep going back to T&Y but just listen to (Winter section) Chopper, Deliver, Madonna and Magi, Lupe accomplishes what Kendrick attempts with the second half starting with Hood Politics.
  • Ranxx
    Options
    I know what you mean I feel both artistes comprised their message. Kendrick with the musical diversity and Lupe with the lyrical complexity.

TPAB isnt a rap album kinda like Miseducation but TY is pure hip hop at its core, so its hard to compare them they're too different. Neither come across as overly pro-black just raw honesty about the black experience in modern america.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both T&Y and TPAB are amazing and complex. They are fine cooked steaks not the baby food that most of these rappers put out. Lupe gave us art in it's purest form. And Kendrick had a conversation with 2 Pac about his life. Both had crazy concepts and multi themes. Hip Hop has a great future if more artist put effort in their projects like these artist did.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Ranxx wrote: »
    There are so many themes I can identify with on this album, leaving the hood and learning how the world really works, being a black man in the corporate arena, trying to balance where your from with where your at, the internal conflict that comes from being 'young and gettin it' when you far from home, coming back home and seeing how all your worldly knowledge doesn't translate in a place where ? are in survival mode 24/7. The second verse of Momma is like this brother read my mind and put it in a rap.

@silverfoxx you said you approached it as if you didn't know Kendrick but to me this is one of the most personal and introspective records I've ever heard. Literally soul on wax. This isn't for the kids, you need some life experience to fully appreciate what is being said here. In a culture where so much emphasis is placed on being 'forever young' a piece of work like this seems out of place but imo its long overdue.

I totally agree. This album came out at a wrong time, ironically this is the album everyone including kids needs to hear...
  • Listencloser
    edited March 2015
    Options
    T&Y is predominantly Jazz driven while TPAB is Funk. Both albums carry similar themes of struggling to maintain artistic individualism and respect from peers without compromising soul. Kendrick seems to find peace by embracing his cultural heratage while Lupe seeks inner balance.

In my opinion Lupe delivers with this greater effect sonically, structurally and lyrically. The beats on T&Y are just more cohesive with less deviations as TPAB. The seasons serve as audio pallet cleanser to prepare each destinct section of the journey. Lupe uses more literary techniques and complex rhyme schemes to deliver his message while Kendricks lyrics are more on the surface to support his.

To ? A Butterfly is a really good album but I have to place it behind Section 80 and Good Kid Maad City. A week later and I'm already skipping tracks where as Tetsuo & Youth still gets played straight through til this day.

"Where recognition went unnoticed and then solidified till it was stoic. We should have been poets. Somewhere between amateurs and grandmasters of Iambic Pentameters."

Tetsuo & Youth 10/10
    To ? a Butterfly 7/10
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To ? a Butterfly remind me of a movie that he kinda of understanding in the end. But you have to watch a few times to fully understand it. And what an ill ideal having a conversation with a dead legend.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T&Y is predominantly Jazz driven while TPAB is Funk. Both albums carry similar themes of struggling to maintain artistic individualism and respect from peers without compromising soul. Kendrick seems to find peace by embracing his cultural heratage while Lupe seeks inner balance.

In my opinion Lupe delivers with this greater effect sonically, structurally and lyrically. The beats on T&Y are just more cohesive with less deviations as TPAB. The seasons serve as audio pallet cleanser to prepare each destinct section of the journey. Lupe uses more literary techniques and complex rhyme schemes to deliver his message while Kendricks lyrics are more on the surface to support his.

To ? A Butterfly is a really good album but I have to place it behind Section 80 and Good Kid Maad City. A week later and I'm already skipping tracks where as Tetsuo & Youth still gets played straight through til this day.

"Where recognition went unnoticed and then solidified till it was stoic. We should have been poets. Somewhere between amateurs and grandmasters of Iambic Pentameters."

Tetsuo & Youth 10/10
    To ? a Butterfly 7/10

Get off lupes ?
  • Listencloser
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »

Tetsuo & Youth 10/10
    To ? a Butterfly 7/10

Get off lupes ?

Get off my ? ? ass boy.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Tetsuo & Youth 10/10
    To ? a Butterfly 7/10

Get off lupes ?

Get off my ? ? ass boy.

You overrate T&Y to much
  • Listencloser
    edited March 2015
    Options

Tetsuo & Youth 10/10
    To ? a Butterfly 7/10

Get off lupes ?

Get off my ? ? ass boy.

You overrate T&Y to much

My opinion, my right. At least I'm willing to articulated it beyond "this is garbage" or "this is the GOAT".
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ranxx
    Options
    You ? take that ? to the other thread
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is beyond classic. This is lovely music on top of more beautiful music.
    100/10. It broke my Richter scale . Im glad to be alive to hear this. Kendrick is an time great artist.