AllHipHop Review Board

Options

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Damn jazzy Kendrick taught us not to say that word!!!
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My bad yall :-S he made me do it
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    jazzybella wrote: »
    Do your review have to be a song by song breakdown?
    However you want. Just 130 words.

This idea of this thread is dope and I commend those who can sit and type out a whole damn review. I honestly do not have the desire to do that ? without being brief and to the point.
    It's really not that much. Just give an album or single a score and back it up with a paragraph. I'm sure you've given 130 words of your thoughts on the album in the official thread. Maybe you can start with the next single review, only a 70 word minimum for singles.

What was the FHD, B4. and T&Y scores?
    B4 and T&Y didn't get enough reviews to have a score (1 and 0). FHD ended at an 82.

Scoreboard is the 2nd post of this thread: http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/comment/7588505/#Comment_7588505

lol I'm dragging down the ? out of that TPAB score.

Is the B4 and T&Y closed? I'm sure we can get 5 reviews a piece. Reopen that thread a few days. I was lazy and didn't realize it had to be 130 words and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
  • KillaCham
    Options

This idea of this thread is dope and I commend those who can sit and type out a whole damn review. I honestly do not have the desire to do that ? without being brief and to the point.
    It's really not that much. Just give an album or single a score and back it up with a paragraph. I'm sure you've given 130 words of your thoughts on the album in the official thread. Maybe you can start with the next single review, only a 70 word minimum for singles.

B4 and T&Y didn't get enough reviews to have a score (1 and 0). FHD ended at an 82.

Scoreboard is the 2nd post of this thread: http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/comment/7588505/#Comment_7588505

lol I'm dragging down the ? out of that TPAB score. Is the B4 and T&Y closed? I'm sure we can get 5 reviews a piece.
    Lol pretty much. Without your score the total would be 94 instead of 91. If you wanna bring the Lupe or Joey ones back and have a couple people commit I'm down. Just need like a 3 review minimum.
  • Listencloser
    Options

lol I'm dragging down the ? out of that TPAB score. Is the B4 and T&Y closed? I'm sure we can get 5 reviews a piece.
    Lol pretty much. Without your score the total would be 94 instead of 91. If you wanna bring the Lupe or Joey ones back and have a couple people commit I'm down. Just need like a 3 review minimum.

3 are down. Let's rock.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

Would my score for the Joey album still count?
  • KillaCham
    Options
    ^ Yup.. unless you wanna re-score it. I have an excel spreadsheet with everything on it, including your score.
  • Listencloser
    Options
    Where should I post my reviews?
  • KillaCham
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here fool!

I never officially launched the Lupe review so I'll do that now for a week and a half.

Lupe-Review-Page-before_zpsjkvacxcs.png
  • Listencloser
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco Tetsuo & Youth review

1) Summer
    Violin crescendo with children playing around water in the background. Clears your mind for the bomb that is about to be dropped on track 2.

2) Mural
    One of the most mind blowing songs since Nas One Mic. Dope lines that serve as brush strokes of a painting.
    Standout lines:
    "Rewrite history, liberty needs a better bell
    Maybe harder irons and carbon fibers that never fail
    Smarter science mixed with a odd alliance of fairy tale
    Or maybe just a metal pail you hit with steel tools
    To announce that you've had enough and dropping out of SEAL school"
    10/10

3) Blur My Hands (ft. Guy Sebastian)
    Biggest single potential. The bass line dances across the guitar riff perfect. The song pretty much says "? me? Okay, ? you too." perfect for when you are stuck in traffic or getting leaned on by a boss or client.
    8/10

4) Dots & Lines
    Originally didn't l like the banjo intro but my 3 year-old loves it and will wildout if I don't bump it every car trip. He is explaining what he has learned from with label expirience and how he has found peace with his art. A very Buddhist theme. Standout lines:
    "To make gold from garbage is not the alchemical point of this math
    But truth be told it's the pursuit of gold that turns the goals of men into trash"
    10/10

5) Fall
    Very Nior Jazz

6) Prisoner 1 & 2 (ft. Ayesha Jaco)
    These two songs are just heavy. In the future there will be a thread dedicated to discussing this track alone. "LOVE is Looking Over Various Errors", "I just wanna be collected, when I call ? ." Prisoner 2 he spits with passion which is missing from many of his previous albums.
    10/10

7) Body Of Work (ft. Troi & Terrace Martin)
    Smoothest song on the album. very abstract lyrics but the imagery is strong and ties in to theme of the human body
    Favorite line:
    "Adapt in each rubric. Kubrick in plot and tone"
    10/10

8) Little Death (ft. Nikki Jean)
    Flawless Jazz ? .
    "Where recognition went unnoticed
    And then solidified till it was stoic
    We should've been poets
    Somewhere between amateurs and grandmasters of iambic pentameters"
    10/10

9) No Scratches (ft. Nikki Jean)
    Whining guitar riff. One of the greatest hooks of all time:
    "At first I had patience
    But then that patience turned to waiting
    And then that waiting turned to wasting my time, my time, my time
    And then that wasting turned to hating
    And then that hating got to racing
    All around my mind, my mind, my mind
    So before we hit a wall, heartbreak and it crashes
    Just walk away no scratches"
    10/10

10) Winter
    Chaotic strings sound like being caught out in a blizzard

11) Chopper (ft. Billy Blue, Buk Of Psychodrama, Trouble, Trae Tha Truth, Fam-Lay & Glasses Malone)
    Everyone brought their A game but Fam-Lay. Ghetto ? to an absurd degree.
    Too many quotables but:
    "Got the same setup as the SWATs, ?
    Shouldn’t find that surprising
    Cause I bought the muthafucka from a cop"
    9/10

12) Deliver
    Displays the consequences of mentality displayed in Chopper:
    "Is it cause they're selling nicks out there all day
    Cause a prostitute sucking ? in the hallway
    Little Caesar's never sending pizza out y'all way
    Papa Johns never get delivered where y'all stayed
    The ghetto was a physical manifestation
    Of hate in a place where ethnicity determines your placement
    A place that defines your station
    Remind you ? your place is the basement
    White people in the attic
    ? selling dope, White people is the addicts"
    10/10

13) Madonna (And Other Mothers In The Hood) (ft. Nikki Jean)
    Compares the plight of single mothers in the hood to the life of Mary and their sons as Jesus. The public appointed lawyer is Judas and his peers are the crooks that are persecuted and crucified besides Jesus. Police are the Romans.
    "White T on they shoulders
    What drags em off through the streets
    In the whip wit' they soldiers
    Stations of the police"
    10/10

14) Adoration Of The Magi (ft. Crystal Torres)

"Master cleanse and a syringe
    From a gerber until your first burger
    Pamper to a depends
    Everything between is just draws"
    2851b15734f96db8b08bf701d4fa8f8a.710x468x1.png
    10/10

15) They.Resurrect.Over.New (ft. Ab-Soul & Troi)
    This is why Ab-Soul is the best on TDE and Lupe Fiasco still outshines.
    "Tony found the fountain of youth, in the mountain of powder
    To only find truth in the fountain, drowning in power
    Surrounded with dollars"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNAgv3rGnj8
    10/10

16) Spring
    Clears your mind from the experience of the total album. Now play the track list in reverse!

Album Themes and cohesiveness
    10/10

Favorite track:
    Keeps changing daily

Least favorite:
    Blur My Hands and Chopper used to get skipped but I have a new appreciation now.

Total Score:
    9.8/10

3 months later and I bump this like its brand new. Haven't done that since Stillmatic.
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too late to drop a review?

@Listencloser dont do this bro TPAB's brilliance doesnt take anything away from TY.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tetsuo & Youth Review

1. Summer - Really nice subtle interlude, definitely prepares you for whats coming next.

2. Mural - Mind BLOWING!! I said very early in this thread during the leak that this was the hardest Lupe track I ever heard. The craziest display of lyricism I've ever heard & this is coming from someone who is a huge Nas, Jay, Raekwon, & Biggie fan. To quote Breezy Kilroy
    Just heard Mural...

First he said some ? and Im like:

rMRKlBa.gif

He just getting started but then he said and Im like

kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

he said some more ? and Im like:

2ur9l5v.gif

I thought it was over but nope! he said some more ? and Im like:

35jksuw.jpg

By the end of it I was just like

ElDVy.gif

Standout lines "
    I run the Gambit like I'm throwing cards
    From popular mechanics to overdosing hearts
    Paint cold pictures like Nova Scotia landscapes
    Nerd game make Mandelbrot sets when we handshake
    A word game back up plan that can dam lakes
    Backup the wordplay playing at the man's states
    Means I can still be the man if the dam breaks"

10/10

3. Blur My Hands- Def should be a single. The production here is really strong, love the message behind the song and how he masked it. 8/10

4. Dots & Lines - I wasnt too big on this at first but when I really listened to what he was saying I was in awe, on a major label album. "To make gold from garbage is not the alchemical point of this math
    But truth be told it's the pursuit of gold that turns the goal of men into trash
    The soul's gold and they turning gold into cash" Heavy ? ... 9/10

5. Fall - I actually love this seasonal interlude the most. Nice tune.

6. Prisoner 1 & 2 - Wow! The whole story of the inmate vs the CO and how it parallels to his label situation and also gives a different perspective on the whole prison system. This is arguably one of his greatest accomplishments musically and artistically. The interlude in btw with his sister and the build up music? A1. 10/10

7. Body of Work - Low key my favorite joint off the album. I love how he portrayed hip-hop as a woman who ppl have smuggled drugs, money and other ills that have been ravaged into the culture of hip-hop (Anatomy will be the death of me) ? ill 10/10

8. Little Death - Those three verses were tough. 2nd verse might be my favorite and speaks to how the country is feeding people food that is knowingly bad for you and your health. Crazy is how at this moment I'm learning to clean up my eating habits. Its just relatable at this moment. 8/10

9. No Scratches - Lupe's take on a broken relationship. This is grown man Lupe right here. I like how both him and Nikki Jean did the chorus here. 7/10

10. Winter - The build up happening in this interlude is very well done.

11. Chopper - at 9 minutes long its incredibly daunting. Everyone brought but Lupe truly took this by the horns. "Look at ghosts in the face as I cried, no Wu-Tang Just Lu gang when I ride." Reference to when he cried durin that Sway interview. Wow 8/10

12. Deliver- Peace of Man dont come here no more. Nuff said. Arguably the most accessible track on the album as well."White folks act like they ain't show us how to traffic
    All that dope to China, you don't call that trappin'?
    Breaking Bad, learned that from a TV
    So don't say it's politics when you see me" 10/10

13. Madonna - The 2nd hardest track on the album and the parallels btw the passion of Christ & a black youth. Only Lupe would come up with something so vivid as this. 2nd verse on here gives me the same feeling I got when I first heard "Put You On Game" 10/10
    14. Adoration of the Magi - 3rd verse. Period. 9/10

15. TRON - Out loud, this is my favorite track. Lupe blacked out on this track. The Scarface reference, the "Don't Ruin Us ? Said, Drogas" line... this was pure creativity on 100. I love this track, everything about it. Soulo featured included those dudes were made to do this song. 10/10

16. Spring - Depressing cause it solidifies the end of this album.

Favorite Track: Tie btw Tron & Body of Work
    Least Favorite: No Scratches
    Total Score: 9.7/10
  • KillaCham
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Gonna let the Kendrick reviews rock for another 9 days. Next week I'm thinking starting Action Bronson and Wale.

I wanna do a single review too. If something good drops within the next week or 2 or if someone has something recent in mind they think should be up for review, let me know.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You would think those so called rich trap rappers would take notes and watch how lupe and Kendrick make this paper.
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would love to review Wale....think his album will be really good
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You would think those so called rich trap rappers would take notes and watch how lupe and Kendrick make this paper.

let them do what they do, errbody dont need to sound the same
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    ? just skipped over the krit or big sean or luda review. lets not just leave this ? to certain ic darlings. and i think it should be something like 10 reviews needed to count, just encourage more postin or take reviews outta the album thread. 3 people stanning/lovin the lupe album got the score lookin like its the best album in the history of albums, hard to take serious.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • IceBergTaylor
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ? just skipped over the krit or big sean or luda review. lets not just leave this ? to certain ic darlings. and i think it should be something like 10 reviews needed to count, just encourage more postin or take reviews outta the album thread. 3 people stanning/lovin the lupe album got the score lookin like its the best album in the history of albums, hard to take serious.

So basically our review is "hard to take serious" and less credible because we're fans who sat with the album for bout 3 months and analyzed it the way a review should be? Because other than that fact your critique of our review seems like hatin. Like, it was cool when Kendrick's rating was sky high, wasnt it? Just wondering. Keep in mind the difference btw the Lupe reviews and the timing of the Kendrick reviews. But I dont see you saying you cant take those ppl seriously. I'm just making observation. I already know you're not big on Lupe... does that mean I can say the same "its hard to take serious" idea towards your post?

and Lol at @KamPushMe I swear that ? is a ? . If everyone isnt in agreement Kendrick isnt the man he's gonna be mad about it
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You stay in your feelings ?
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    I stay in my feelings over Kendrick

We know ?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited March 2015
    Options

So basically our review is "hard to take serious" and less credible because we're fans who sat with the album for bout 3 months and analyzed it the way a review should be? Because other than that fact your critique of our review seems like hatin. Like, it was cool when Kendrick's rating was sky high, wasnt it? Just wondering. Keep in mind the difference btw the Lupe reviews and the timing of the Kendrick reviews. But I dont see you saying you cant take those ppl seriously. I'm just making observation. I already know you're not big on Lupe... does that mean I can say the same "its hard to take serious" idea towards your post?

and Lol at @KamPushMe I swear that ? is a ? . If everyone isnt in agreement Kendrick isnt the man he's gonna be mad about it

man look here man, im not even readin all that. i aint even heard the album so i cant hate it. im just sayin lets get more reviews on it b4 lettin 2 or 3 people that its hard to tell if they just stanning or not review it and give it a perfect score. ur an admitted dickrider so i knew ud take offense, but nobody tryna diss u or lupe. im saying it should be the same for every album.
  • IceBergTaylor
    edited March 2015
    Options

man look here man, im not even readin all that. i aint even heard the album so i cant hate it. im just sayin lets get more reviews on it b4 lettin 2 or 3 people that its hard to tell if they just stanning or not review it and give it a perfect score. ur an admitted dickrider so i knew ud take offense, but nobody tryna diss u or lupe. im saying it should be the same for every album.

You not trying to read it cause you flew in here mad as hell nobody reviewed the Krit, a man you're an admitted dickrider for. Fair enough. You're right, it should be the same for every album. But thats not my prerogative, nor is it my prerogative you felt I wasnt being objective. If you want me to review the Big Sean I can do that, you probably will be mad about that as well, so in reality whats your point? Did you review the Big Sean?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited March 2015
    Options

You not trying to read it cause you flew in here mad as hell nobody reviewed the Krit, a man you're an admitted dickrider for. Fair enough. You're right, it should be the same for every album. But thats not my prerogative, nor is it my prerogative you felt I wasnt being objective. If you want me to review the Big Sean I can do that, you probably will be mad about that as well, so in reality whats your point? Did you review the Big Sean?

bruhhh...

why do yall ? ass ? do this ? . come n get mad at me for some ? i aint even said! bleedin ? ass ? mane. u think i felt u werent being objective, ? i dont even know what u said foh
    You not trying to read it cause you flew in here mad as hell nobody reviewed the Krit, a man you're an admitted dickrider for.

im not mad, id like to see a review for a lot of artists. and if u can find me saying im a krit stan or dickrider anywhere on here ill ask to be banned.
    nor is it my prerogative you felt I wasnt being objective.

? i dont care about YOU being objective, this aint about you. u a ? wiz khalifa stan whenever u spit out lupe ? n/h, i dont take u seriously regardless. i was talkin about the thread as a whole only covering artists like cole, kendrick and lupe, thread might be better with reviews on more albums that drop, not just the ic darlings of the moment.

and i dont mind droppin short reviews like i do at times in the album threads. i cant for the life of me understand why u took that post of all posts personally, u need a father figure. n stop ? cryin over reactions.
  • IceBergTaylor
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lol this ? broke down my whole post with his personal feelings. You the worst b