AllHipHop Review Board

Options

Comments

• power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can dig it. But it's pales in comparison. To me. As an avid Nas fan, it was a hit 7/10. Not to turn this thread into that. But the fact that's it was their fifth album is the only similarity to me.

I respect your opinion. But I found a few similarities. Rewind was the first rap song I heard backwards. The whole T&Y album is a story backwards. Then, how in Poison he broke out in a story about the dude with herpes out of nowhere. Lupe kinda did that on Madonna. From talking about himself, to talking about the son that died. Both albums had powerful themes. And both MCs showed emotion in their flow for the first time on both albums.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can dig it. But it's pales in comparison. To me. As an avid Nas fan, it was a hit 7/10. Not to turn this thread into that. But the fact that's it was their fifth album is the only similarity to me.

I respect your opinion. But I found a few similarities. Rewind was the first rap song I heard backwards. The whole T&Y album is a story backwards. Then, how in Poison he broke out in a story about the dude with herpes out of nowhere. Lupe kinda did that on Madonna. From talking about himself, to talking about the son that died. Both albums had powerful themes. And both MCs showed emotion in their flow for the first time on both albums.

I mean a few of your comparisons were off. But that's debatable too. But how many emcees had albums that were both had emotion invoked raps and powerful themes? I'd say more than a few.

I've been seeing that Nas comparison pushed on a lot of rappers who could be viewed as rappers in the same realm. But to me, Lu has far surpassed anything Nas is capable of as a rapper. Therefore, the comparison is unfair to both parties.
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    At that time people criticized NAS and thought he was finished. Like people were saying about Lupe. And I heard both heavily criticized for having boring lifeless flows. Until their 5th albums. That was my point. And I would never minimize what NAS can do. People didn't think he could battle rap until Ether.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    like the campaign for the Lupe album is taking away from any credibility that the album is good for the person that hasn't even listened to it. I can't remember the poster's name but the ? has an agenda.

these are phenomenal albums. incomparable IMO. Look at the level at which the two were performed and how different their results were. If anything it doesn't put one above the other but shows you where they are in their artistry.

Kdot's 95 point whatever doesn't even translate to Lupe's scoring realm and vice versa. As hip hop albums, in a vacuum, their both classic material.

And not no gotdamn Stillmatic.....that average ass ? . Y'all gon stop comparing ? to Nas man damn. Had to throw that in there.

not sure if bolded is about what i said or if im making a bad assumption but if its the former i suggest u re read, there is no agenda against lupe of all ? is yall serious? idk why some of yall cant understand what i said its very simple.
  • Roster Player #99
    Options
    At that time people criticized NAS and thought he was finished. Like people were saying about Lupe. And I heard both heavily criticized for having boring lifeless flows. Until their 5th albums. That was my point. And I would never minimize what NAS can do. People didn't think he could battle rap until Ether.

lmao, in my opinion, he still can't. Especially based on that, but we know that ? will be forever debatable. His "Lex wit TV sets, the minimum" line is slicker than Ether. I know what Nas can do. We've seen it. But I'm comfortable in saying he can't do what Lupe can....not that he would want to.
  • power_wisdom
    Options

lmao, in my opinion, he still can't. Especially based on that, but we know that ? will be forever debatable. His "Lex wit TV sets, the minimum" line is slicker than Ether. I know what Nas can do. We've seen it. But I'm comfortable in saying he can't do what Lupe can....not that he would want to.

Ha,ha,ha. Yeah that's a whole other thread.
  • Roster Player #99
    Options
    like the campaign for the Lupe album is taking away from any credibility that the album is good for the person that hasn't even listened to it. I can't remember the poster's name but the ? has an agenda.

these are phenomenal albums. incomparable IMO. Look at the level at which the two were performed and how different their results were. If anything it doesn't put one above the other but shows you where they are in their artistry.

Kdot's 95 point whatever doesn't even translate to Lupe's scoring realm and vice versa. As hip hop albums, in a vacuum, their both classic material.

And not no gotdamn Stillmatic.....that average ass ? . Y'all gon stop comparing ? to Nas man damn. Had to throw that in there.

not sure if bolded is about what i said or if im making a bad assumption but if its the former i suggest u re read, there is no agenda against lupe of all ? is yall serious? idk why some of yall cant understand what i said its very simple.

nah ?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    ? just skipped over the krit or big sean or luda review. lets not just leave this ? to certain ic darlings. and i think it should be something like 10 reviews needed to count, just encourage more postin or take reviews outta the album thread. 3 people stanning/lovin the lupe album got the score lookin like its the best album in the history of albums, hard to take serious.
    Hey if you want something to be up for review, let it be known. This is project is extremely open to outside input... and I agree - maybe it should be upped to 5. I want scores to reflect general consensus of us Reason posters and not just the fans of the artist. That's why I said in the Lupe thread those with good, bad, or average feelings toward the album are welcome. I don't want people to be inclined to drop a review only when they like a project. I want those with an opinion in general to wanna be involved.

cool, i suggest Black Hystori Project 2 up for review, ill be byke with mine a lil later

BHP 2

i was feeling the tape, but i felt bhp 1 and ivy league 1 a lil more tho

Intro-Started off with a bang, definitely picked up where BHP 1 left off

Master P-prolly the hardest joint on here and perhaps my favorite, i like the lil rules or "trap commandments" touch he had

Weak People-imo thought provoking and extremely real and like i said, who ever thinks cyhi is a "? " for the weak people track need to ? themselves, they a part of the problem. we got google out here and u ? still misuse the hell out of a word

Get Money-like the soulful feel on here

Forever-i like the sample choices but felt they coulda been flipped better, especially the keith sweat, and coulda a lil better hook, still solid tho

TV-ehh idk about this one, its aight but ehh, some of the punchlines are just tryin to hard imo and the beat and hook could be better

One Woman Man-was hoping the production on here would be smooth as Coretta and he had a tone like Switchin Positions back in the day, was a nice sample tho and some real ?

Believe-Cyhi spittin real ? as usual, the hook could be better tho

What We Have-this song help it get back on the level it started with, mannie killed the production, i think cyhi coulda did with out the stop start rappin tho maybe shoulda spit all the way thru

Everyday People-sounded like vintage dungeon fam to me, feel his tone of voice could be better but maybe im nitpicking

To Be Real-Definitely a great ending, love the sample, wish he woulda rapped over the beat switch that was hard as ? too

overall ill say prolly a 7/10
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao Peezy in here still crying and KamPushMe still flaggin ppl who think Lupe's album is better. This what happens when you let every female speak about hip-hop some of them can't leave their personal bitterness outta ? .
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    Yo I listened to that Wale album Ima do a review for that one too.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Wait y'all can't be doing reviews all random and ? nilly. This ? gotta be organized lol.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lmao Peezy in here still crying and KamPushMe still flaggin ppl who think Lupe's album is better. This what happens when you let every female speak about hip-hop some of them can't leave their personal bitterness outta ? .

spit that ? ? out yo mouf ? , why ima be mad cuz YOU cant understand im not here to diss lupe, yall ? ? upset about posts that i aint even said, i dont give a ? .

• IceBergTaylor
    Options

spit that ? ? out yo mouf ? , why ima be mad cuz YOU cant understand im not here to diss lupe, yall ? ? upset about posts that i aint even said, i dont give a ? .

This girl in here saying "I dont give a ? " yet said girl is cussin, beatin her chest and still quoting me. Sad!!!!!!!!
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    Wait y'all can't be doing reviews all random and ? nilly. This ? gotta be organized lol.

Can you get a Re-Up on the Big Sean?
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tpab has got the reason ? up for real

latest?cb=20121124231018

Theres three separate threads on the front page soaked in tears of rage
  • KillaCham
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yeah enough it this personal ? . Let's keep it on the music people.

Can you get a Re-Up on the Big Sean?

Vote for the next album reviews: http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/529419/allhiphop-review-board-vote-for-the-next-2-albums-up-for-review#latest
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I figured out what I don't like about this album. It's not dynamic enough. Everything runs together. It's sort of like going to one of those white Techno clubs. You'll be there for an hour and it will have sounded like they played the same song the whole hour when in fact it was more like 10 songs.

I've listened to TPAB several times, and it always starts off ok. I mean I don't love the first few songs either, but I've come to appreciate them more, but by the time I get halfway through the album, I've tuned it out. It's not even intentional. The album will end and I'll realize I haven't even been paying attention to it. It starts to drone on and get monotonous after a while. It would have been good, if he changed up the style of the music or something. It's basically the same jazz-funk type blend from the beginning to the end.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    TBAP

Wesley's Theory - I wasnt a huge fan of this song on first listen but when I heard it again I really digged this. The whole funk sound and what he's saying is dope. Wasn't really big on the hook though. 7/10

For Free - Again, the overall message was cool not sure if I liked the whole spoken word thing. But I get it. Can't knock a dude for challenging himself. 7/10

King Kunta - The 2nd verse I was like okay! I loved how the layers in the production built up in the 2nd verse and the 3rd verse was dope, the MJ homage was GOAT. 9/10

Institutionalize- The whole 2nd verse describing his homie's perspective about going to the BET awards was some real ? . ? being ? is something we blacks deal with daily. And just for that 9/10

These Walls - This ? was rough I didn't like the chorus too much here. But I liked what he did with his verses here and the story he was telling. But knowing that this is a loose sequel to "Sing About Me" makes me feel like this song could have been better. 6/10

U - What strong black man who starts to turn his life around and lead, dont feel this way once in awhile? I liked the first half the 2nd half I could have done without. 8/19

Alright - Loved the beat, loved the hook and K.Dot was talkin that ? . 10/10

For Sale - Now here is where the album really picks up for me. The whole smooth jazz music while theres some really dark ? being said. "Lucy's" whole verse really was eerie which is so creative considering the idea "the devil comes in a deceptive way" add that verse with the simplicity and easiness of the music this ? knocks. 10/10

Momma - In context this ? is hot, 2nd verse really great. All his "I knows" its just relatable to me. I like how Momma is Compton.... it is to me at least. I know someone said Africa somewhere but I didnt get that. 9/10

Hood Politics - " I don't give a ? about politics in rap my ? " that ? was ill to me even tho its a simple line. To me thats what makes Kendrick cause it reminded me of his overrated ass Control verse. He dont care if he cool with some folks he just gonna rap. The Hov reference was Goat. 8/10

How Much A Dollar Cost- Arguably the best song on the album. The story telling is top notch. The hook is well done and the Ron Isley feature is well placed. The last few lines in the 3rd verse was hella dope. This song makes the album what it is to me. 10/10

Complexion - meh song sorry, best thing about this was Rapsody. 7/10

Blacker The Berry - I should ? with this song harder than I do but truthfully I didnt like the chorus and the 2nd verse is kinda dry. Its like he starts off so aggressive, than turns it down and even though it ends strong I didnt like that infamous line too much. It just didnt feel necessary in this song. To me this is Kendrick's "Black Skinhead" and he did it better. 8/10

You Aint Gotta Lie - Cool song but real weak coming after BTB. I do dig the message of this song alot because he's addressing what blacks need to here. 7/10

I - I didnt like this song when it first came out but in context of the album its great especially this version. I like the break down after the 2nd verse and the whole Negus part. 9/10

Mortal Man - Amazing ? "How many leaders you ask to lead and left them for dead" so ? true in the black community man. The 2pac ? was dope as ? and creative as hell. Nothin more to it than that. 10/10

Favorite song : How Much A Dollar Cost
    Least Favorite : These Walls

Overall Score : 9.2/10

Sorry, I liked GKMC more.
  • KillaCham
    Options
    ^ And you were doubting yourself about doing reviews, meanwhile you cranking 'em out.... and they're good.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Tetsuo and Youth

I hate pointless skits with little to no value at all so let me get that out of the way, Summer-Spring is a waste of 6 min lol. With that said, thats the weakest point of the album. A lot of people dont like rappers who rap about nothing, Lupe does this from time to time but imo If you can do it in a clever way over a dope beat, you're good in my book. "Mural" is a perfect example of that, he didnt do it much after that tho. Plenty of lyrics that would need to be broken down but thats cool, this album aint for the mainstream audience. I thought "Chopper" had too many "regular" rappers on it at first but its a nice change of pace for the album and the hook is money. Dont really care for "Dots & Lines" and "Deliver" is my fav joint. Production is dope, features are used well and just an overall smooth album. 9/10
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    "Any love less than unconditional is so under-Christian, it's unrepentant." Dots and Lines has many of the deepest lyrics.

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You still taking reviews for the K.Dot album? @KillaCham
  • KillaCham
    Options
    You still taking reviews for the K.Dot album? @KillaCham
    *looks up at thread title*

Ha yeah fam, for sure.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You did ad the RosterPlayer #99 review
    Interludes

Liked em. All were relevant. Creative and masterfully performed and written. The ? had a gotdamn string section for Christ sake. The detail, etc. I can go on. Tens

Mural- ? was crazy on the first listen. I was 8 songs in and was still shakin my head in disbelief at this song. Do we even have to question this? Tens.

Blur my hands - the weakest point on the album.B But I like the fact that it came as early as it did. A lot of simile/references lines. Lyrics-10, hook-9, beat-7.

Dots and Lines- banjo threw me off at first. But I figured there was some significance. Never know with this ? . Whoever it was played the ? out of it. As a lover of STEM and music I really liked the references on this one. The hook is catchy too and the beat is tight. A lot of textures that didn't collide, I can appreciate that (808s, violins and synths). The fact that he can package life lessons in the manner he did reaffirms his status amongst the great writers in hip hop. If not the greatest (yea ? I said it). Tens.

Prisoner 1&2- I thought it was an ode to Chilly. But I saw it was deeper than that. There's a nod tho which I can appreciate, beside the fact Chill's arrest affected me personally. His imagery and storytelling ability was vivid as ? . You'd think the ? been to jail before. Or had written a treatment for OZ or some ? . Then the second part. Mad energy. Liked the hook. ? is just clever and well put together as far what he wanted to convey. Tens.

Body of work- this ? so dope. The hook. The beat. The lyrics and that GOTDAMN SAX SOLO. Y'all ? already broke down the references and wordplay so I won't go into that. But ? is too cold. Tens ? .

Little death- aiight. So it took a while for me to like this. Because the three different subjects didn't coincide with the hook at first. And didn't understand what she was sayin when she said le petit mort until a friend a mine understood it. I likes the verses. Especially how he opened it. ? was smooth. Plus i have debates like this at work all the time which summarizes in a couple bars. One thing that stood out was the use of sfx. I heard it more prominently as it faded out at the end. And it tied it all together for me. Idk if he did that or what but the ? is genius. It's a recurring thing throughout the album too. Tens.

No scratches- I hate the beat the most. But what kept me listening were the bars. It was a personal record. I thought it was geared more towards his situation with the label. With the weekend at Bernie's lines and the walk thru echo park ? and the "I know you're in the seat but let's get outta that before injuries" line, amongst other ? but idk. The hook is tight too. And the sfx tie a lot of his metaphors and similes together. 9.5/10 tho.

Chopper- I get it. I really do. Plus i thought it kinda alludes to subject matter behind "deliver". But fam-lay kinda ? this up for me, badly. And I used to like that ? too. But his verse sounded like what I'd imagine Steve Francis would look like if played in the nba right now. Beat knock tho. I think my favorite verses outside Lu's are Billy's and Trouble. But everybody else did they thing too. 9.9/10

Deliver- dope concept/play on words and apparently homophone use with the piece of man/pizza man ? . But this ? flow from beginning to end is flawless dog. And ever worse he double times it at the end with some dope cartoon references. Beat is tight, you know the hook. Tens my guy.

Madonna- maybe my favorite on the album. Idk. Hard to choose. But this ? is just hard. Really like how he opened it. The hook is dope as hell and the beat is tight. I like the story of the song and how he coupled it with a paralleled scenario in the video. 10.

Adoration of Magi- to me this one has the da Vinci level of sophistication that "Madonna's" coarse storyline didn't. It's like a timeline/synopsis of his childhood and coming of age story. Flow is tight. Imagery, duh. Hook is dope. Beat is dope. Tenzo.

TRON- ? . Blackout is an understatement. Word play for days. Flow is ? . I used to skip this ? . But I listened closer. It's crazy. And ab solidified a new fan with this verse and few others I've heard from him. Beat is insane man. Ten/10.

Like I said. The attention to detail on this album made me appreciate it a lot more as an artist and as one that covets gems. Finding meaning in things that aren't necessarily there or valued at a surface made me appreciate the depth of this album. Always been a fan of lupe. Granted I've never heard FL2 and Lasers. They don't exist to me. But this ? is ? good. Like heralded writing good. In most cases unparalleled.

His presentation is cold and off putting on the outside. Because I think a lot of people think he's an ? . But that's thought of most intellects. The fact that he can fit his level of intellect in a rap or album cover or then me is most impressive about dude. Fact is: You can't remember rap better than this ? . He can actually get on a track with Jay and not look foolish. Not many can do that. And he could do it when his career was in it's infancy. So respect him.

10/10

AOTY bruh.

if not then it's tied with Kdot ? for it.

Until Ye ? drop, hopefully it ain't wack but I got good hopes for it.

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Only halfway done, Ill finish the rest later.

TPAB

Wesley's Theory- The "Intro" set the tone for the whole album. Which was basically letting the listener know the album was going to be a fusion of many different styles and genres. Alot of people arent going to be familiar with some of the influences within the album and is going to call it weird and too left field and also miss the reference within the message.

Back to song. I loved the production. Outside of HipHop, Funk is my favorite musical genre and everybody knows funk begins and ends with George Clinton and Parliment, who added a perfect touch to the song. Even the jewels Clinton dropped with reference to the butterfly at the beginning was dope.

10/10

For Free?

Mannn. This ? was incredible. This is the Last Poets on ? .

? your sources, all distortion, if you ? it's more abortion
    More divorce courts and portion
    My check with less endorsement left me dormant
    Dusted, doomed, disgusted, forced with
    ? you think is in more ? ?
    Porcelain pipes pressure, bust 'em twice
    Choice is devastated, decapitated the horseman
    Oh America, you bad ? , I picked cotton that made you rich
    Now my ? ain't free

Crazy

His flow on the "interlude" outshines 99% of the games best rhymes period.

10/10

King Kunta

Wasnt crazy about this joint. The beat was aight, and verses were on point , but I wasnt really feeling the hook tho. The song's not terrible but they shouldve replaced this song with "Untitled".

7/10

Institutionalized

This has Erykah Badu written all over it. From the production , to the hook, to the beat switch mid track, to "? dont change till you wash ur ass , ? !" lol , thats some Budu ? . Very Neo-Soul. The Snoop feature wasnt forced, perfect artist to use as a narrator. Great content, production, flow,hook, overall dope.

10/10

These Walls

This is HipHop meets Neo-Soul meets Funk. Bilal and Anna killed this ? . Dope. euphemism track.

9/10

Ill complete the rest of the tracks later. My overall score is a 9.5/10.