AllHipHop Review Board

Options

Comments

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    My fault for the delay, Ima listen to both albums for the next few days then drop a review.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ^ good looks.

I'm not sure if people are having trouble writing a review or just timid but here are some helpful tips for writing a review up....

1: Use as many adjectives as possible.
    Instead of vague words like "dope," "trash," or "okay," try to describing your feelings toward the song (no feelings) in as much detail as possible. Was the hook disappointing or memorable? Was the beat tedious or catchy?

2: Don't censor yourself or hold back
    Don't worry about what others may think of your review. As long as it meets the length requirements and backs up its score, it will be counted.

3: Try doing a track-by-track review for albums
    It's not always easy summing up an album in a paragraph or two, so it may work better to go through each track briefly and individually before concluding your review with a closing paragraph.

4: Assign a score by using other songs as reference points.
    Think of your favorite songs and least favorite songs of the year. For example: your favorites will be in the 8-10 range, and your least favorites may be in the 0-4 range. The songs that are nothing special may fall in the 4-6 range. Find a place for the song you are reviewing along that spectrum.

5: Don't worry about spelling and grammar.
    Be more focused on the content of your review. And long as you explain your score and we can understand your points, you're good.

6: Have a conclusion.
    Whether it's one sentence or a paragraph, it's always a good idea to wrap up your review with a summary of your thoughts. Think of your conclusion as your overall opinion about the song or album.

Feel free to add on.
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    Just lit up a blunt and clicked play on Joey's album, Ill have a review up by tomorrow night.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've since changes my rating of Tetsuo and Youth from 4.5 to 5/5. B4 is still 4/5
  • _Goldie_
    Options
    Damn, instant classic? I havent heard it yet, but I will after a couple more listens of Joeys album.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Joey has a great album. Feel bad for his ass, coming out the same day as Lupe. T&Y is a classic. It's like Joey took you back to the dayz of the boom bap. But Lupe had that next level ? . Plus Joey is a good MCs. Better than most. But he's not all the way there. He reminds me of Buckshot. But he is not Buckshot. Lupe is a elite MC in all categories.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Joey has a great album. Feel bad for his ass, coming out the same day as Lupe. T&Y is a classic. It's like Joey took you back to the dayz of the boom bap. But Lupe had that next level ? . Plus Joey is a good MCs. Better than most. But he's not all the way there. He reminds me of Buckshot. But he is not Buckshot. Lupe is a elite MC in all categories.

Idk about feeling bad for Joey dropping the same day as Lupe. I mean, outside the IC I haven't seen either album get as much buzz as they deserve, but I don't think Lupe got particularly more attention than Joey.
  • Listencloser
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »

Idk about feeling bad for Joey dropping the same day as Lupe. I mean, outside the IC I haven't seen either album get as much buzz as they deserve, but I don't think Lupe got particularly more attention than Joey.

I have both albums on shuffle/ repeat for the passed month. I don't even skip Teach Me at this point. I still gravitate to T&Y tracks more but I am glad to have both.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »

As far as sells I can't speak on that. But what I meant was if Lupe T&Y didn't come out people might be calling Joey B4da$$ a classic. But when put Joey album next to T&Y which many say is a classic you see the difference and what makes one a great album and one a classic. Especially when they came out on the same day. Everything other than the production was better on T&Y. Production was equally top notch on both albums. Every song on both albums were great. But Lupe songs where structure better. Better lyrics, concepts, stories and content. But I can say that if you put Joey album next to other albums that came out in the pass 8 months (Fab, Stally, Pusha T). They all might have out MCs ed Joey, but his album as a whole was a lot better because their albums had weak points (songs)and B4da$$ didn't.
  • KillaCham
    Options
    Gonna try to relaunch this sometime in the near future. Maybe with Kendrick's release. That should get things poppin.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good thread, id be interesting in seeing the scores to the new krit, sean, drake, and cyhi projects
  • KillaCham
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Let's get this back on track peeps!

Kendrick-Lamar-Review-Page_zpsi2712qnz.png
  • Listencloser
    Options
    To ? a Butterfly 7/10. Slightly better than Forest Hills but behind b4da$$ and T&Y.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To ? a Butterfly 7/10. Slightly better than Forest Hills but behind b4da$$ and T&Y.

Thats a weak ass review
  • Listencloser
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Thats a weak ass review

Full review is coming. I just wanted to be first to temper the ? riding.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Thats a weak ass review

Full review is coming. I just wanted to be first to temper the ? riding.
    Good luck ** in Euro-trash kidnapper voice**
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    guess only cole kendrick and prolly kanye albums get reviewed in here then lol smh
  • KillaCham
    Options
    guess only cole kendrick and prolly kanye albums get reviewed in here then lol smh
    Dudes is lazy. We need more posters that are willing to give some input when need be. Dudes will write a titangraph in an album thread but don't wanna put 5 mins into constructing a review with a score at the bottom. Interact... contribute... MAKE A CHANGE, ? !!!
  • KillaCham
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Na that's awesome. You can make it as long as you want. Just has to be a minimum of 130 words. I skimmed but I'll read the whole thing later. Props.
  • KillaCham
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'll finally drop a review too. Took the next 2 days off of work so I'll finally have some kinda down time to give a tenacious listen.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ill give a review next week. Theres too many layers to this ? . Id been playing this 2 days str8t n it still sounds new ...Every play, im picking up something new.
  • Listencloser
    Options
    Cadillatica - 8/10
    2014 Forest Hill Drive - 9.5/10
    Joey Badass 9/10
    Testuo & Youth - 8/10
    Dark Sky Paradise - 7/10
    To ? a Butterfly - 9.5/10

im just blessed to live in this era of good hiphop

(Drakeand Nicki Minaj are trash to me so their releasesdont matter)

I disagree strongly with your ratings but I can consign your overall point.
  • eternal soldier
    eternal soldier Members Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Songs I thoroughly enjoy.

Wesleys Song
    King Kunta
    These Walls
    u
    Alright
    For Sale
    Momma
    The Blacker The Berry
    You ain't Gotta Lie
    I
    Mortal Man

Are very dope ranging from introspective to emotional in its ways. However, I think there's a lot going on with a lot of the album as if he had so many ideas and just had to get them out with the limited space he had when crafting the album. It becomes overwhelming even for the most musical fan. If you're reading through the thread and you're not exactly sold on purchasing the album, I'd stream it first and base your opinion off of what your ear hears. It's not good Kid MaAd City, but neither was section 80 which I had to remind myself of because if you expect his last effort to sound like his next one and future projects, you'll be very disappointed.

Rank
    4/5
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^ LOL at listing basically every song