AllHipHop Review Board

Options

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Awesome reviews guys. Just read through all of them. Keep 'em coming. I tallied up the scores so far.

@usmarin3‌ be mindful of the word limit (150 words for albums, 80 for songs). I'll let it rock since this is new and you did over 100.

@The_R_ that review has to be more in-depth to count lol
  • TB.Boy
    TB.Boy Members Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Options
    http://mrworldpremieretv.blogspot.ca/2014/12/j-cole-be-free-david-letterman-live.html?m=1

If you don't respect dude after this ? you man ? you because you're part of the problem
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Change my Grade to C+ lol
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    Awesome reviews guys. Just read through all of them. Keep 'em coming.

@The_R_ that review has to be more in-depth to count lol

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M CAPABLE OF...
    DELETE THAT POST IF YOU CAN
    I'LL EXPAND N/H
  • Chasin Bundlez
    Chasin Bundlez Members Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ill start the review by saying Cole is one of my four favorite new school rappers in the game (K.Dot,Drake,Rocky), so I was anticipating this album's release more than any other album this year. I admit my expectations for this album was high , following a very solid album "Born Sinner" and acouple dope mixtape tracks like" Revenge of the Dreamers". "Forest Hills Drive" is a decent project, but it's definitely a decline in quality imo. I also feel there wasn't much growth in the content. Listening to a Cole album you would think he's in his early 20s, because alot of the times he speaks from the pov of an adolescent. I gave it a pass the first couple albums, but on album number 3 I cant do that, he'll be 30 in a month... So songs about losing his virginity and chillin at his boys moms house smoking weed hoping to get rich isnt showing that he's evolving. There are a few songs that show growth like "January 28th" and "Love Yours" , but there's too many adolescent raps on here imo. Being that the title of the album is his old address, this album might purposely be meant to represent the pov during his youth, but the fact that he's BEEN rapping like that, I dont see a point to make a whole album doing it more. Musically its not bad, but it isnt great either. I dont mind Cole harmonizing on the hook (Adolescence 03') but this ? should never, ever ever ever.... sing whole ballads again in life. (St.Tropez, Hello,Intro)

Favorite Tracks- January 28, Fire Squad, No Role Modelz , Love Yourz

Worst Songs- Hello , St. Tropez(Extra strength NyQuill)

Letter Grade - C

Close this fuckkng thread, ain't no need for anyone to make another review after this one, it will be filled with lies, bias and pure ? slurping...Goldie hit on the head, ? felt weird as ? reading this cuz he literally said everything I was thinkin bout this mediocre album...word.
  • sirjudah
    sirjudah Members Posts: 1
    Options
    I may be the only one but I love the singing. drake has a trained voice Cole has a soulful natural voice he misses a few notes but it makes it feel genuine hello and st Tropez were good to me. MY LEAST fav song maybe tale of two cities. My fav song is apparently fire squad and Jan 28th. His song structure
    Is on point its not all 16 bars hook 16 bars hook. I'll give it a 4 out of 5 I would have liked a more time relevant project. I agree this should have been his first project its prob his first project with creative control
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Was really hype after I heard it the first time then I listened a few more times and let it settle in. The production/harmonizing gets really redundant on this joint although he does a good job at keeping the content relevant(assuming this record is about his old world which we already knew about btw) outside of "Wet Dreamz". Almost positive somebody told him that singing/harmonizing would sell him more records even tho he claims he doesnt care(lies). High points were "Fire Squad", "G.O.M.D." and "No Role Modelz", "Hello" and some of the joints early in the album were like mehhh after a few listens. Lyrically hes on point but I think he needs to hand over some of his production and let his growin up in Fayetteville go, on record at least. Overall not much better than his previous efforts, id probably say they are all around the same as far as quality goes. 7/10
  • bbkg79
    bbkg79 Members Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have minor grievances with the album, on first listen I thought there was a little too much singing. Upon my 2nd listen, things seemed to fall into place a little more. I think that's because I read a breakdown of the flow of the album, and it made more sense at that point. Plus, Cole has always harmonized.

(A) January 28th
    2nd Verse

Don't like the bar at all, seems like a throwaway - "Show me NY's ladder I'll climb it
    and set the bar up so high you gotta get Obama to force the Air Force to find it
    Nevermind it!"

(A) A tale of two Citiez
    ? dope, but seems a little drake influenced let me know if you hear it?

(B) Gomd
    Don't like production entirely. Love the beat at the beginning, wish it never switched at around 1:00. I like what he's saying but don't like the delivery of the hook (yes I know what song it's from)

(B+) Hello
    Don't like the flow when he raps doesn't seem to match perfectly and he's done better flow wise. But I like the song overall. Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s18GufLYtFg&feature=youtu.be

Everything else A+ to me. Different strokes for different folks but St. Tropez is sick. Little D' Angelo, little Outkast, little Badu, and many more older soul/african acts that I can't think of off the top atm.

Overall a solid album, there isn't a wow factor, nothing that made me say "yo rewind that b". But, that's not what this album is about or portraying. It's about his honesty and growth as a man, and artist.

Update : Total score changed from B+ to A-

The more I listen to this album the more I appreciate it and understand it as a whole. On my third listen I was playing it for someone and realized how much I appreciated the songs and how I felt listening to them. I also downloaded J. Cole's David Letterman "Be Free" performance and added it as the last song (before Note to self) on the album. Works well.

• G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Better late than never ? nobody else bothered to drop one for the site
    http://allhiphop.com/2014/12/14/j-cole-2014-forest-hills-drive-album-review/
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bbkg79 wrote: »
    I have minor grievances with the album, on first listen I thought there was a little too much singing. Upon my 2nd listen, things seemed to fall into place a little more. I think that's because I read a breakdown of the flow of the album, and it made more sense at that point. Plus, Cole has always harmonized.

(A) January 28th
    2nd Verse

Don't like the bar at all, seems like a throwaway - "Show me NY's ladder I'll climb it
    and set the bar up so high you gotta get Obama to force the Air Force to find it
    Nevermind it!"

(A) A tale of two Citiez
    ? dope, but seems a little drake influenced let me know if you hear it?

(B) Gomd
    Don't like production entirely. Love the beat at the beginning, wish it never switched at around 1:00. I like what he's saying but don't like the delivery of the hook (yes I know what song it's from)

(B+) Hello
    Don't like the flow when he raps doesn't seem to match perfectly and he's done better flow wise. But I like the song overall. Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s18GufLYtFg&feature=youtu.be

Everything else A+ to me. Different strokes for different folks but St. Tropez is sick. Little D' Angelo, little Outkast, little Badu, and many more older soul/african acts that I can't think of off the top atm.

Overall a solid album, there isn't a wow factor, nothing that made me say "yo rewind that b". But, that's not what this album is about or portraying. It's about his honesty and growth as a man, and artist.

Update : Total score changed from B+ to A-

The more I listen to this album the more I appreciate it and understand it as a whole. On my third listen I was playing it for someone and realized how much I appreciated the songs and how I felt listening to them. I also downloaded J. Cole's David Letterman "Be Free" performance and added it as the last song (before Note to self) on the album. Works well.

Gon ahead and hit me with a link to the live performance
  • BoogaSuga
    BoogaSuga Members Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bbkg79 wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks but St. Tropez is sick. Little D' Angelo, little Outkast, little Badu, and many more older soul/african acts that I can't think of off the top atm.

You lost yo damn mind on that one right there

...hook me up with that download of Be Free tho playa
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    I'm a girl that can typically tell within 10 seconds of hearing a song whether or not I'll like it and, for that reason alone, I rarely sit through and listen to an album in its entirety.

Stopped reading the review right there...

Scrolled down...

Then i saw 7 GOATs so i decided to read it....

good review
  • KillaCham
    Options
    Only today and tomorrow left to review for J. Cole's album!
  • KillaCham
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    I'm gonna download it now i'm drop my review later

@deathrowzorrow‌

Been waiting on your review. Drop it before the deadline
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Options
    J cole is my favorite rapper of the new generation before this album even now. His best album, it reminds me of ? 's Son atleast Coles Gods Son album if you say so little personal and beautiful. Of course not at Nas ? son album level. I did not buy the album because he is under Jay contracts. Really good album on J Cole continues like this he will be one of the best. He did it without features really serious respect, not many people would've done that, Cole is talented.

4 \ 5 .. Would have been 4.5 \ 5 if he did not sing so much but apparently & no role modelz no jokez luv it

fire squard my favorite love how he ? on eminem and iggy

never did this review ? before so hope it was ok lol
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    J cole is my favorite rapper of the new generation before this album even now. His best album, it reminds me of ? 's Son atleast Coles Gods Son album if you say so little personal and beautiful. Of course not at Nas ? son album level. I did not buy the album because he is under Jay contracts. Really good album on J Cole continues like this he will be one of the best. He did it without features really serious respect, not many people would've done that, Cole is talented.

4 \ 5 .. Would have been 4.5 \ 5 if he did not sing so much but apparently & no role modelz no jokez luv it

fire squard my favorite love how he ? on eminem and iggy

never did this review ? before so hope it was ok lol

4135922-1403155628674.gif
  • bbkg79
    bbkg79 Members Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BoogaSuga @R.D. I used this http://www.flvto.com/ just add the youtube link and you good
  • KillaCham
    Options
  • KillaCham
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Final score for the boy Cole on the first page.
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Going into the single soul food I had very high expectations becaue of the classic goodie mob album/song that it borrows its name from. Although it didn't live up to the extremely high standards it set for itself, it is a solid track. It serves a very important role in the album as neither the best nor the worst but a good track to that helps the project as a whole.

B
  • KillaCham
    Options
    OhMars wrote: »
    Going into the single soul food I had very high expectations becaue of the classic goodie mob album/song that it borrows its name from. Although it didn't live up to the extremely high standards it set for itself, it is a solid track. It serves a very important role in the album as neither the best nor the worst but a good track to that helps the project as a whole.

B
    Good looks @OhMars. It would be cool to get different perspectives on some Big KRIT ? . Seems like a lot of people either have different opinions on him or haven't listened to his music and need some insight.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wanna hear him go in on every song like fire squad. Also more storytelling less singing that's not his lane. Good album overall
  • BoogaSuga
    Options
    Soul Food

Soul Food is one of my favorite tracks on Krit's album. Raphael Saadiq was a perfect fit on the hook for the smooth blues'd out production. Krit spits poetry as he reminisces on his "soul food". Krit feeds his soul by remembering his youth, when life was much more simple and finds ways to lyrically spread the table with actual "soul food".

Listen to the song and think about what krit says. on the surface he might just be talking about food, But give him a good ear and you see Krit is asking what's wrong with the direction we are going today. We all need to sit back and ask "What happened to the soul food?"

Love this track, only complaint is that I want more... wish it had a 3rd verse

A+
  • BoogaSuga
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Ikinggodgivbiz
    @younggoldie
    @b_a

Would be interested to hear a review on Big Krits Soul Food from you 3 since yall was the ones in the JCole vs Krit thread that said yall didn't ? with his music.

cuz like killacham said...

KillaCham wrote: »
    OhMars wrote: »

B
    It would be cool to get different perspectives on some Big KRIT ? . Seems like a lot of people either have different opinions on him or haven't listened to his music and need some insight.