Why Do White People Love Animals So Much?

Options
Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
famous_people_and_animals_28.jpg

I'm starting to think that it partially stems from a paternalistic or superiority complex, but I really don't get it at all. I honestly find it bizarre at times, and it's led to some rather unpleasant experiences with my Caucasian brethren. And I'm not just talking about the arguments about Mike Vick or Gerald McClellan. There's also the ? who look down on you for not being vegan or vegetarian.

Don't get me wrong. I like animals too but, apparently, just not as much. Lots of white people seem to value animals more than they do humans (nevermind that humans are "animals" too). I hate to say it, but I believe that the life of the worst human is more valuable than the life of the cutest kitten. But these PETA types go hard. I remember being at an anti-terrorism conference and hearing an FBI agent tell the audience that an overwhelming majority of attacks that they have to deal with were not orchestrated by Muslim fanatics but by animal rights extremists.

So what are your thoughts and theories?

Is white people loving animals just a myth?
How do you feel about zoos?
Do you believe in "animal rights"?
What do you think of vegetarianism and veganism?
Is it hypocritical that pets and cute animals (e.g., squirrels) seem to be valued more than "ugly" animals (e.g., rats, which, like squirrels, are rodents) and insects?

Comments

• yahwehprofet
    yahwehprofet Members Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMHO
    Cuz they got the time and money to do that those type of things.... Not so much love animals just have more freedom to enjoy nature more
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love animals too
  • willywanker
    willywanker Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As far as the zoo I like it, but I think they belong in the wild and we need to stop hunting.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Is white people loving animals just a myth?

I think it's a generalization. Not all white people love non-human animals and many people of color do.
    How do you feel about zoos?

I'm against zoos.
    Do you believe in "animal rights"?

I believe in animal equality. To be fair, I don't think rejecting the concept of animal equality necessarily involves explicit or overt speciesism but I don't think you can make a non-arbitrary moral distinction between all humans and all non-human animals. If your concern is with happiness-suffering then it would be consistent to value or care about all animals, regardless of species or cognitive ability. If your concern is with the fulfillment of rational preferences or respecting autonomy or anything that involves a more developed cognition then it would be consistent to value some non-human animals (rats, dolphins, elephants, pigeons, magpies, octopi, ) more than you value human infants under 1.5-2 years of age who probably cannot form rational preferences or make rational choices regarding their own bodies that can be honored or contradicted ( a preference based form of consequentialism is itself inherently inconsistent, if not overtly speciesist, because different preferences are fundamentally incommensurable).
    What do you think of vegetarianism and veganism?

I'm a vegan, I'm for ethical veganism (as much as is practical. To be clear, 'veganism' is not just a diet but a general lifestyle of trying to minimize the harm you cause to non-human animals).
    Is it hypocritical that pets and cute animals (e.g., squirrels) seem to be valued more than "ugly" animals (e.g., rats, which, like squirrels, are rodents) and insects?

I think it is. I also think it's hypocritical that infants are generally given more consideration than non-human animals, regardless of whether or not they're more or less cognitively developed than infants are.
  • willywanker
    willywanker Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meester wrote: »
    Maybe because they want to be animals.
    Because white people are wild animals
    they like owning and controling living things.

The hate is real.

•   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if it was between my dog dying and one of you ? , i feel sorry for your familys.

Why am I not shocked that ANIMALS get more love than humans in america today. ..
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Meester wrote: »
    if it was between my dog dying and one of you ? , i feel sorry for your familys.

Why am I not shocked that ANIMALS get more love than humans in america today. ..

It's understandable that he would care more about a member of his family, someone he knows and is emotionally attached to, than strangers. That's how most people are. A white person with a close black friend will probably care more about his friend than he will white strangers. He didn't say that he would favor any random dog over any random human just because they're a dog.
    But I will never put more value in the life of an animal than that of a human.

And this is what white people do.

White people who do this are in the minority. They're mocked and ridiculed by mainstream white society, it's not the normal attitude among them. If it were, as DOwn pointed out, hunting, factory farming, zoos, vivisection etc. would all be illegal.

I agree that caring about non-human animals more than you care about humans is wrong (even if, hypocritically, I have a bias in favor of non-human animals I definitely do not favor any non-human animal over any human for no other reason than their being non-human) but I believe the reverse is just as bad.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Ubuntu1 yes that is how most ppl are but how am I not a animal because i ? a non threatening one to protect my friends and family? As if the non threatening one dont have friends and family.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i do love animals
  • BamBamMr7Gram
    BamBamMr7Gram Members Posts: 329 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got 8 dogs 3 stay inside I love animals period. To me the worst human life isn't worth any animal because in some cases such as the charleston guy they don't deserve to live to me. Animals don't have morals, nor bother humans we bother them. I hunt, but not for sport I wasn't raised that way so I respect animals differently.
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some animals are more loyal than humans and some are essential for our survival.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is true. If you ever go on a animal YouTube video the insensitivity is so high that you will get banned for saying "? " they will find a way to ridiculed you and praise a innocent donkey.

And them valuing a animal more then a human is also true. I seen many videos where an animal kills or seriously hurt a human and zero empathy is towards the human and love is for the animal. I get the love for animals, I loooooove them myself, but I'm not batshit crazy that I'm excited when one eats a photogpher alive. Not all whites, bug many whites do.

BASED ON MY ENCOUNTERS of course. Not being sterotypical, just speaking on people (whites and white washed Asians) that I know or seen online.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    White ppl dont love all animals. They the ones that's doing the hunting and killing of animals for sport. The Circus animals are mistreated and circus are owned by white people.As far as the zoo, I'm against zoos cause you basically have the animal in captivity and put on display.

I feel when it comes to animals, black ppl would leave a lion alone if they saw one but white ppl want to study or shoot it
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    not to presume the thought process of the white man... but i would say "because animals may be better than people." also:
    Black people don't love animals? I have a dog and consider her part of my family, I will cry like a ? when her time is up.
    this here, basically