Why Do White People Love Animals So Much?

Options

Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

Was this directed at me?

Depends. Do you honestly believe that only white people love animals?
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they like owning and controling living things.

Came to say this
  • TheDouce
    TheDouce Members Posts: 24
    Options
    I'd rescue my dog from a fire over a human child.
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Planet of the Apes happened because of white people
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    That's not true. Yes, people have come at odds with animals in the past. That's natural. It happens between lots of species not just humans. White people were the ones that came through various places and introduced practices that pretty much destroyed habitats.
    man, the reason why i mentioned Australia is because it wasn't white people that rolled through and exterminated animals. it wasn't because they were white or not white, it's because they had the means to make it happen and made a short-sighted decision. it's entirely possible (if we go down the rabbit hole here) that animals were hunted into extinction at some point in the Americas as well.

it's fair to say white people wiped out some animals -and we can make a list; Will Munny has a good start- but if elephants and rhinos go extinct right now, it's probably not white people pulling the trigger on that. so just as it's lame to say "only white people love animals," we shouldn't act like only white people can eliminate them.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^white people created the social and political conditions that force the poachers to poach soooooo they kinda are responsible for the African game animals going extinct, BUT there is a lot of murkiness to that ? .
  • Will Munny
    Options
    White people only care about cute animals.

Like nobody give a ? about pangolins but everybody losing their ? over polar bears.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    ^^^^white people created the social and political conditions that force the poachers to poach soooooo they kinda are responsible for the African game animals going extinct, BUT there is a lot of murkiness to that ? .

Thank you. You saved me from having to point this out.

Nowhere did I say that white people were the only ones responsible for making animals go extinct. Nowhere did I even say that whites were the only ones to treat animals wrongly. But they are the main culprit and have done it on a level others haven't. Again, it's simply a fact that a lot of the animals that are endangered now only got to be in that position because of European influence. Say what you want, but the Native Americans weren't culling buffalo or wolves or rattlesnakes. Europeans did that. Native Americans weren't bringing over foreign species and causing havoc on native ecosystems. Europeans did that.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    Not entirely true about the buffalo. A lot of anthropologists now think that the reason the buffalo numbers were so ungodly was because small pox came through and wiped out so many native Americans the buffalo populations sky rocketed.

When the Indians got rifles, and especially horses from the Spanish, buffalo numbers were actually really taking a hurting.

Buffalo got killed off because of entire system that created the demand, not necessarily just hunters, but I think most people realize that.

You are absolutely right about the introduction of invasive species and the trouble they have caused, and still causing. I was an aquatic invasive species intern last summer, I know all about people's disregard for nature in that aspect.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Source? Not saying you're wrong. I just never heard that.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »
    I think what he's talking about is how if a CAC had to choose between a child dying and the family dog it would legitimately be one of the hardest decisions they've ever made.

And that is almost exclusively a CAC problem.

Good thing you put almost cause im definately choosing the dog over the 18 year financial burden.
  • kingofkingz
    kingofkingz Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not white but i love my puppy more then life itself
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

Was this directed at me?

No, of course not.

Let me just reiterate for those who have or are still thinking this. I've never said that only white people love animals. I believe that no where, not in the thread title, original post, or subsequent posts, have I said that, so I'm a bit confused why people have said or think that.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I mean animals are cool but I don't have a season pass to the zoo or anything.

I know I'd rather see a white person loving animals over game hunting them..that's infuriating.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    Source? Not saying you're wrong. I just never heard that.

? I dunno man google that ? . I'm sure it's still disputed.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Also if you would save the life of an animal over the life of a human I believe you either need to be A. Shot or B. Quarantined in a psych ward with some form of mental psychosis.

Speciesism is another form of bigotry, it's no different than any other form of in-group/out-group discrimination. You can distinguish *most* humans from *most* non-human animals on the basis of cognitive ability ( the capacity to make rational choices or form rational preferences, if your concern is with autonomy or preference fulfillment-you can't consistently want to maximize every rational being's preferences, as I've argued, because different preferences are incommensurable and can blatantly contradict each other- or anything that requires higher cognition) but being human is as arbitrary when it comes to moral consideration as is having brown skin or being a woman. You can argue that the life of a human is more valuable than the life of a pig because a human can form a rational preference to continue existing or can know and understand more about the world than a pig can or can even be considered more deserving of life because of the choices (s)he has made etc. but, like I said, we're still not justified in regarding human infants as more valuable than non-human animals and if we consider autonomy, preference fulfillment, knowledge, moral character etc. instead of happiness as being beneficial or good then we still still have to give either equal consideration or more consideration than we can give to infants to non-humans who have demonstrated self-awareness (and equal consideration to all of them to the extent that we care about happiness).
    Remember what the Joker said in The Dark Knight 'We'll see how loyal some hungry pooches are.'

Their value isn't dependent on how loyal they are, it's dependent on their being sentient beings. They shouldn't have to earn compassion and respect. Unlike most humans, they can't be punished for their behavior because they can't make rational choices (even if they could, giving people more or less consideration because of the choices that they make is a double standard).
    Fact of the matter is those animals do not have souls or cognitive ability.

All animals have cognitive ability, it's just not as developed as ours. If someone can experience emotional states without having a soul then I don't understand why having a soul matters.
    The only reason why they have any benefit to human society is because HUMANS TRAINED THEM AND MADE THEM THAT WAY.

Non-human animals don't exist for our benefit anymore than African slaves existed for white people. Humans didn't create the capacity that non-human mammals and birds have to emotionally bond with humans if they're introduced to them an an early stage in their development, our own capacity to bond and form relationships stems from a shared mammalian psychology, it's not unique to us.

Half of the people (my rough estimate) who are so adamant about prioritizing humans over non-human animals don't seem to care that much about other humans, at least not all of them. Interestingly enough, research suggests that vegans and vegetarians are generally more compassionate toward *both* humans and non-human animals than meat eaters are.

http://www.care2.com/causes/study-shows-vegans-are-more-empathetic-neurologically-speaking.html
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White ppl love animals more then blacks.

? is facts.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White Deviants

136246672-dog-and-woman-kissing-each-other-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=MKxlBRZ4YgbQtuK83%2FKIl6sx8SWvr79Yf6G2SO7eg9w%3D
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

Was this directed at me?

No, of course not.

Let me just reiterate for those who have or are still thinking this. I've never said that only white people love animals. I believe that no where, not in the thread title, original post, or subsequent posts, have I said that, so I'm a bit confused why people have said or think that.

Then I ain't talking to you *shrugs*
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Options
    http://youtu.be/uWT2qHVftGk

OP gotta point .... Look at this ? this CAC said ...made a whole damn sing about the ?

"BABY I LOVE MY DOG MORE THAN I LOVE YOU ....YOU MAY FAINT ...MY DOG WILL ALLWAYS COME THRU"

Lmaoooooooo .....NOW THAT is what you call HOH's right there ....that ? said you can have my ? ....but ? don't you touch Fido gotdammit!!!

These CACs wild

Honestly tho I could gives a ? about a mutt ...or a little cat ...? let one of them little drooling son of a ? start acting up ....I'd do that little ? just like my ? here ..

2575682_o.gif

AIDIOS FIDOOOOOOO!!!!!

RNS
  • Will Munny
    Options
    Aye I tell you what. My dog never texted me at 4 am telling me he got too ? to make it out hunting with me in the morning.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Because they are animals.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

Goooooottttttt damn ...... Big ? freak nasty as ?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    oh, that's absolutely fair. but at the same time, if we're talking "this or that race has a greater appreciation for animals"...
    Nowhere did I say that white people were the only ones responsible for making animals go extinct. Nowhere did I even say that whites were the only ones to treat animals wrongly. But they are the main culprit and have done it on a level others haven't.
    right, but this is my point: if we're talking like ONLY crazy white people have done it, then we're making it seem like "as long as we address how white people treat animals, we're good." might not be your sentiment, but hey.
    Native Americans weren't bringing over foreign species and causing havoc on native ecosystems. Europeans did that.
    this comes back to something i was touching on earlier, though: white people simply had the MEANS (you know i favor geographical determinism for this, but YMMV) to do it, not some specific motivation that all other people lack.