Why Do White People Love Animals So Much?

Options

Comments

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black people don't love animals? I have a dog and consider her part of my family, I will cry like a ? when her time is up.

I never said that black people don't love animals. I mean, I think I love animals. And I don't think that there are too many people that don't love their pets, but I'm talking more than just pets. My point was that it just doesn't seem like black people love animals as much as white people. Again, that might just be a myth though.
    As far as the zoo I like it, but I think they belong in the wild and we need to stop hunting.

I'm ambivalent about hunting. I'm not anti-hunting though.
  • phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So we're just going to give White People credit for everything around here huh?.

But what about all of the Black Folks in Eden? Or do they not count becuz this is another "? white america" thread
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time for a complete response.
    Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    I think it's a generalization. Not all white people love non-human animals and many people of color do.

Yes, I agree. But it seems like there is a lot of truth to this generalization. Hm, maybe not?
    I'm against zoos.

I think that I am too for obvious reasons.
    I believe in animal equality. To be fair, I don't think rejecting the concept of animal equality necessarily involves explicit or overt speciesism but I don't think you can make a non-arbitrary moral distinction between all humans and all non-human animals. If your concern is with happiness-suffering then it would be consistent to value or care about all animals, regardless of species or cognitive ability. If your concern is with the fulfillment of rational preferences or respecting autonomy or anything that involves a more developed cognition then it would be consistent to value some non-human animals (rats, dolphins, elephants, pigeons, magpies, octopi, ) more than you value human infants under 1.5-2 years of age who probably cannot form rational preferences or make rational choices regarding their own bodies that can be honored or contradicted ( a preference based form of consequentialism is itself inherently inconsistent, if not overtly speciesist, because different preferences are fundamentally incommensurable).

But don't infants have the potential for such cognitive ability in the way that many non-human animals do? I believe in respect for animals, but I have serious problems placing them on the same level of humans. I can respect that idea though. I think that it's called ecocentrism. It's also hard to respect an animal that can easily ? you with no ? given.
    I'm a vegan, I'm for ethical veganism (as much as is practical. To be clear, 'veganism' is not just a diet but a general lifestyle of trying to minimize the harm you cause to non-human animals).

Much respect to you, but I couldn't do. Maybe I'm too weak. I love meat.. I mean, I like being a carnivore/omnivore. I get my fruits and veggies in, and I try to stay away from red meat and processed foods, but it's hard bruh. Huh, I didn't know veganism was a lifestyle.
    I think it is. I also think it's hypocritical that infants are generally given more consideration than non-human animals, regardless of whether or not they're more or less cognitively developed than infants are.

But then, aren't animal rights activists and similar people so hypocritical in just that way? Again, I think that infants get a pass because they can grow into human adults.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    It's hilarious how people REALLY believe that only white people like animals.

Was this directed at me?
    if it was between my dog dying and one of you ? , i feel sorry for your familys.

I was thinking about this scenario. Honestly though. If I had to choose between some stranger's life or my dog's life, Unfortunately, I'd have to choose the stranger. My belief: human life > animal life.
    D0wn wrote: »
    Love animals?

Who hunt animals for fun?
    Who own the poultry industry?
    Fast food?
    Who displaced animals the most?
    Who killed off many species of animals?
    Who own the zoos?
    Who own the aquariums?

Lol, good point.
    White ppl dont love all animals. They the ones that's doing the hunting and killing of animals for sport. The Circus animals are mistreated and circus are owned by white people.As far as the zoo, I'm against zoos cause you basically have the animal in captivity and put on display.

I feel when it comes to animals, black ppl would leave a lion alone if they saw one but white ppl want to study or shoot it

Agreed.

And back to the zoo issue, is there anyone here who isn't against zoos? Zoos seems so obviously wrong, so why do we still have them? Seems like an outdated idea. Maybe shelters but not zoos.

Again, I'm not against hunting, but I can understand some of the outrage, even though some of that outrage is potentially hypocritical and/or disingenuous when the same people have no problem with fishing, killing bugs, etc.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    phukkyou2 wrote: »
    So we're just going to give White People credit for everything around here huh?.

But what about all of the Black Folks in Eden? Or do they not count becuz this is another "? white america" thread

Not following you here. Feel free to drop some knowledge.

And no, this isn't necessarily a "? white america" thread.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Plutarch the zoo im iffy on. It's good for our endangered species and learning but I really don't like the thought of having wild animals in a small enclosure.
  • Young Stef
    Young Stef Members Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cuz they got time.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    i regretted watching this one..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFPjVdI7aU

Sheeeit. After seeing so many pleasant baby and pets videos, that caught me off-guard. I thought that dogs never hurt babies. But if you look at the video comments, a lot of white people seem to be defending the dog...
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inb4 white people ?
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Pico wrote: »
    @Plutarch the zoo im iffy on. It's good for our endangered species and learning but I really don't like the thought of having wild animals in a small enclosure.

@Pico Yeah, I guess that's true. It's good for endangered species and learning. It just seems so "unnatural" and abusive. I can't front. I loved the zoo as a kid, but it's different now that I"m an adult. Yeah, wild animals shouldn't be boxed up like that.

People be getting brolic at the zoo, knowing that the animals can't do ? . Like walking up on someone you know at his job and just ? with him, knowing he can't do ? or he'll get fired.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpBXna8qtDQ
    I forgot who it was, but it was probably Katt Williams who explained how ? up that ? was so well.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why those animals endangered to begin with???
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options

people duh
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eh, the whites I'm around love dogs in particular; they don't love all animals so much that they wouldn't gulf down a burger. The love for dogs makes perfect sense though, since dogs were specifically bred for companionship, among other things.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

people duh

naw ? say it....whyyyyyyy iiii ttttt ppl.
    destruction of the ecosystem, displacing animals and the natural order of things .
    pollution...
    thats whys its coming back to bite them in the ass.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Options

people duh

naw ? say it....whyyyyyyy iiii ttttt ppl.
    destruction of the ecosystem, displacing animals and the natural order of things .
    pollution...
    thats whys its coming back to bite them in the ass.

its not just white people but ok boo you got it
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes it is hippocritical cute animals are looked at as more important. It drives me ? insane from an ecological perspective.

Cats serve no other purpose give pleasure to humans and they are an absolute ecological nightmare.

I ? hate people.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People lose their ? minds when a brood of ducklings gets hit by a car but don't bat an eyelash at the wetland being drained across the street.

People are the ? worst. For real.
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love the zoo.
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I agree. But it seems like there is a lot of truth to this generalization. Hm, maybe not?

I don't know whether or not it's true as a generalization. I don't think most white people love non-human animals as much as they love, or at least respect and care about, other humans, let alone more. It could be that white Westerners are more likely to think of themselves as 'animal lovers' or even go so far as to identify with the idea of animal equality or animal rights. Either way, we're individuals first and foremost and if you look at us in that way it becomes less relevant what statistical differences there are between groups. I remember reading somewhere that economic security and the satisfaction of basic needs correlates with more 'tolerant', "liberal" attitudes (ie. it could help to explain why homophobia is so rampant in African and Middle Eastern countries, I don't know how much truth there is to that considering how many well off people are prejudiced against ? . I don't think Russia or the Middle East are even considered generally third world. It does help to explain how Western society has become progressively more 'liberal' as the standard of living has gotten higher).

Hindu's regard cows as sacred. In some cultures, rats are highly respected as well. The ancient Egyptians viewed cats in a similar way. Many Native American cultures perform rituals honoring the animals they ? and expressing gratitude to them for their 'sacrifice'. Khoi-San hunters also, when they ? an animal for food, will sometimes apologize to them and explain that they're only trying to feed their families.

But don't infants have the potential for such cognitive ability in the way that many non-human animals do? I believe in respect for animals, but I have serious problems placing them on the same level of humans. I can respect that idea though. I think that it's called ecocentrism. It's also hard to respect an animal that can easily ? you with no ? given.

Potentiality isn't actuality. Sperm/egg cells and zygotes have the potential for self-awareness but they aren't self-aware. Everyone alive has the potential to be dead but we're not dead yet. I don't know what ecocentrism is. If it's what it sounds like, I care about animals as individuals ; they have value in and of themselves and I don't care what they bring to or detract from the ecosystem as a whole. I have no problem respecting an animal who could easily ? me with no ? given because a prerequisite for being moral or immoral is the capacity to make rational choices. You can't fault most non-human animals for being aggressive anymore than you can credit them for being affectionate and altruistic, they feel how they feel and they instinctively act on what they feel in the moment without being able to rationally consider alternative actions or the consequences of their behavior (this could be an oversimplification, on my part). To the extent that they are, chimpanzees seem to be the only non-human animals who are capable of our level of cruelty. I don't know how common violent and aggressive behavior is among rats, dolphins, elephants or the other non-human animals who have demonstrated self-awareness.

How do you feel about an infant with a rare medical disorder that prevents them from aging (this was an actual case I read about, a 16 year old girl was physically and mentally an infant).

But then, aren't animal rights activists and similar people so hypocritical in just that way? Again, I think that infants get a pass because they can grow into human adults.

In what way? Not all animal rights activists place infants above non-human animals or some non-human animals over others. I'm sure virtually all of them are 'hypocritical' to some extent but no more so than everyone else is.

It doesn't actually matter whether or not animal rights activists or vegans are hypocritical anymore than whether or not individual abolitionists and racial equality activists were/are. An idea falls or stands on it's own ; the character or the 'idea-action' consistency of the person who ascribes to or promotes that idea is irrelevant. The weakest arguments often focus on the failings of the people presenting the alternative position and not the position itself. I can go out and ? a man and tell other people that doing so is wrong and it's still objectively true that giving your interests more consideration than you give the interests of any other person is morally inconsistent (it's inconsistent even if moral nihilism is true and nothing is objectively good or bad), my hypocrisy doesn't detract from my argument or reasoning.

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think white people especially like animals more than any other race...they just don't dislike them or don't have the same level of apathy towards animals that they do people that aren't white.

People of other cultures have always historically had more reverence/love/admiration/appreciation for animals and nature in general than Western Europeans...
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

@Pico Yeah, I guess that's true. It's good for endangered species and learning. It just seems so "unnatural" and abusive. I can't front. I loved the zoo as a kid, but it's different now that I"m an adult. Yeah, wild animals shouldn't be boxed up like that.

People be getting brolic at the zoo, knowing that the animals can't do ? . Like walking up on someone you know at his job and just ? with him, knowing he can't do ? or he'll get fired.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpBXna8qtDQ
    I forgot who it was, but it was probably Katt Williams who explained how ? up that ? was so well.

That video is some ? ? I would do lol. That lion would be all kinds of frustrated l
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White people don't love animals. They constantly ? with them and go around the world destroying habitats that had gone most of human history without being disturbed.

Pretty much every other group of people on Earth loves animals more than white people. There was no need for conservation of animals in places like Africa and the Americas until whites showed up.
  • BamBamMr7Gram
    BamBamMr7Gram Members Posts: 329 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Yes it is hippocritical cute animals are looked at as more important. It drives me ? insane from an ecological perspective.

Cats serve no other purpose give pleasure to humans and they are an absolute ecological nightmare.

I ? hate people.

Cats eat rats, and snakes and other pests around homes. I haven't had a pest problem in years so your point about cats are invalid, and I don't even like cats