Straight Outta Compton Movie - Official Thread (8-14)

Options

Comments

• Lebong James
    Lebong James Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the ending should've been "Hello"
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    You sure are going out on a limb on that one.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    Straight Outta Compton the album is on the billboard charts

Better late than never. While Straight Outta Compton remains at the top of the Box Office, N.W.A’s 1988 single of the same name makes its debut on the Billboard Top 100 at number 38. This marks the collectives first top 40 hit ever.

Meanwhile, the album itself currently takes the number 4 spot on the Billboard Top 200 right below Dr. Dre’s recent release, Compton at number 3. The late Eazy-E also scores his third Hot 100 with “Boyz In The Hood” debuting at number 50.

Yo thats whats up! I'm gonna cop Eazy E's first album this weekend, I'm ashamed to say I've never listened to it. That changes Friday
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it fair to say that

3096369.jpg

is a hella better movie than

notorious_nodreamistoobig_cover.jpg

True, I really did like Notorious but SOC is way more raw and was directed much better. Acting was far more superior
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sully wrote: »

dafuq did they do to Biggie's hand? looks like someone photoshopped everything past his proximal interphalangeal joint....they left him with fat hands and nubs on the end.

that's like the Standardized Slaughter of movie poster photoshopping.

pretty sure it's just shadows that are covering it because of the way his hand is cusped around the cane. although I have no idea why they coloured him blue like a dark smurf
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to the movies Saturday and me and the wife finna be busy as ? for the next month -- so my question is: this or Rogue Nation?
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Is it fair to say that

3096369.jpg

I think Notorious could have been a whole nother Goat film if it was done right and not basically behind the music with actors.
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    I'm going to the movies Saturday and me and the wife finna be busy as ? for the next month -- so my question is: this or Rogue Nation?

Support the damn movie
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

You should make this a poll in GnS or Donkey.
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Support the damn movie

I'm a dinosaur that still buys albums and movies of those I support. Not to mention, I know the story of NWA and I ain't no young cat that needs to be introduced to them for the first time. Nor am I some hipster or a revisionist. I have all of the classics from this legendary group and understand its influence quite well.

It was a simple question meant for those who have seen both movies and have an objective opinion since I'm strapped for time and I believe both movies to be extremely good. I'll prolly end up owning both eventually anyway.

But Stew was right, I'll take my ass to LCA and pose the question since muhfuckas gettin aggy as ? in here.
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    movie was dope and it sparked the music i love. made me appreciate nwa even more. im not a gangsta but i love the music that started from that branch. from easy to snoop, em, 50, game, kendrick. cant wait to get the dvd
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »
    4770212.t.jpg

...Remember the 90's pop rapper named Candyman who made that song "Knockin Boots?"...Well thats him in the bottom right corner...Phucked up aint it...lol...

He look like Russel Wilson lol
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movie was nostalgic as hell for me.... I think I was in the 8th grade when Eazy passed. ? almost teared up. I agree with MasterP on the whole Eazy getting jumped by Suge folk. anyway Great movie.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw this tonight. My thoughts:

1. The movie was a bit self-serving to Cube and Dre who produced the movie.

2. Cube got WAAAAY more mic-time than Eazy and definitely Ren. Why do we need to hear Cube's verse on ? the police twice?

3. Eazy came off bad. They show him downgrading his house, and breaking up weed instead of him firing back with Real Muthafuckin G's. I dunno, history is written by the winners I guess.

4. The guy that they got to play Yella looked just like him.

5. It will be interesting to see Cube's son in another role.
  • Stew
    edited August 2015
    Options
    smp4life wrote: »
    Just saw this tonight. My thoughts:

1. The movie was a bit self-serving to Cube and Dre who produced the movie.

2. Cube got WAAAAY more mic-time than Eazy and definitely Ren. Why do we need to hear Cube's verse on ? the police twice?

3. Eazy came off bad. They show him downgrading his house, and breaking up weed instead of him firing back with Real Muthafuckin G's. I dunno, history is written by the winners I guess.

4. The guy that they got to play Yella looked just like him.

5. It will be interesting to see Cube's son in another role.

I think you like a lot of others on this board were looking at the movie from a super Hip Hop head point of view when thats not what they were trying to do hence why they got the big budget/big director to do the movie. Thats what the directors cut is for(lets hope). Either they wanted to get the main points by(how it got started/music drama/beefs/how it ended) or they had no choice from Universal to put it out that way imo.
  • smp4life
    Options
    FishNChips wrote: »
    You guys do realize biopics aren't 100% factual right? Leave that to the documentaries

I'm sure Dre didn't really turn around while leaving Death Row and say "Aftermath" when Suge asked him what he's gonna call his new label.

He wanted the name Black Market but someone already had that name and wanted a lot of money for it IIRC.
  • Stew
    Options
    FishNChips wrote: »
    You guys do realize biopics aren't 100% factual right? Leave that to the documentaries

I'm sure Dre didn't really turn around while leaving Death Row and say "Aftermath" when Suge asked him what he's gonna call his new label.

He wanted the name Black Market but someone already had that name and wanted a lot of money for it IIRC.

Wouldnt that have been some ? with a name like that and his first big artist was Em lol
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Brotha Lynch Hung owned Black market and he was taxin
  • smp4life
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Trinity
    Eazy Daughter was definitely right about the Dre diss from E not being included nor the Dre Day ? .....both should have been in ....only thing I can think Is that maybe suge blocked him from using it?? Idk either way it should have been apart of the story

Also they alluded to Jimmy Iovine "taking care" of the contract situation but like she said they didn't show that Eazy came up off Dre for the Chronic ..which makes the "Dre Day only make Eazy Pay Day" line classic

Dont know why ppl keep saying this when they never played "Dre Day". Wasnt "Real Muthafuckin G's" released AFTER "Dre Day" Came out?

There was no reason for them to get into that beef in this movie imo. Its a NWA movie, that beef was irrelevant to NWA as a whole.
    Dre was a NWA member and Eazy was a NWA member ....what the ? are you talking about it had nothing to do with NWA him leaving to go to death row was the reason NWA died ...and furthermore explaining how potent the beef was would have been more accurate to illustrate why the group didn't get back together ...it had become deeper than just jerry heller ...? had personal issues with each other and that ? is just as important to the story as including no Vaseline .....all that fabricated ? about ? "getting the group back" was some Hollywood nonsense ..only thing I've ever heard Dre say about that is he never got the chance to squash the beef

Stop being a got damn disgusting ? groupie you got damn freak .....you just wasn't tryna see Dre get ? on ....probably leave out of the theater crying like a hoe in mourning

No ? , NWA died the day Cube left that group(the movie showed u that just in case u werent paying attention). I know the ? story dumb ? , aint got ? to do with me being a fan of Dr. Dre. "Dre Day" and "Real Muthafuckin G's" aint got ? to do with a NWA Biopic, u know why? Cause Ren, Yella and Cube aint got ? to do with either one of them songs. Thats all extra ? and they both regret it foh.

Um. zaggin4efiL is a multi-plat nwa album w/o Cube.
  • Stew
    Options
    Trinity
    Eazy Daughter was definitely right about the Dre diss from E not being included nor the Dre Day ? .....both should have been in ....only thing I can think Is that maybe suge blocked him from using it?? Idk either way it should have been apart of the story

Also they alluded to Jimmy Iovine "taking care" of the contract situation but like she said they didn't show that Eazy came up off Dre for the Chronic ..which makes the "Dre Day only make Eazy Pay Day" line classic

Dont know why ppl keep saying this when they never played "Dre Day". Wasnt "Real Muthafuckin G's" released AFTER "Dre Day" Came out?

There was no reason for them to get into that beef in this movie imo. Its a NWA movie, that beef was irrelevant to NWA as a whole.
    Dre was a NWA member and Eazy was a NWA member ....what the ? are you talking about it had nothing to do with NWA him leaving to go to death row was the reason NWA died ...and furthermore explaining how potent the beef was would have been more accurate to illustrate why the group didn't get back together ...it had become deeper than just jerry heller ...? had personal issues with each other and that ? is just as important to the story as including no Vaseline .....all that fabricated ? about ? "getting the group back" was some Hollywood nonsense ..only thing I've ever heard Dre say about that is he never got the chance to squash the beef

Stop being a got damn disgusting ? groupie you got damn freak .....you just wasn't tryna see Dre get ? on ....probably leave out of the theater crying like a hoe in mourning

No ? , NWA died the day Cube left that group(the movie showed u that just in case u werent paying attention). I know the ? story dumb ? , aint got ? to do with me being a fan of Dr. Dre. "Dre Day" and "Real Muthafuckin G's" aint got ? to do with a NWA Biopic, u know why? Cause Ren, Yella and Cube aint got ? to do with either one of them songs. Thats all extra ? and they both regret it foh.

Um. zaggin4efiL is a multi-plat nwa album w/o Cube.

lol pretty sure it went multi plat off the NWA name alone but anyway I see u going back through the thread now
  • the best 1
    the best 1 Members Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gwyneth Paltrow raps NWA's "Gangsta Gangsta".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Oej7K469I
  • newOldSchool
    newOldSchool Members Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it fair to say that

3096369.jpg

Too much derick Luke acting silly. Too many performance scenes. Too many unnecessary ? scenes.
This discussion has been closed.