Straight Outta Compton Movie - Official Thread (8-14)

Options

Comments

• Trigga T
    Trigga T Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dj pre-k wrote: »
    there can never be too many ? scenes

"Bye Felicia"
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Saw it earlier today

That opening scene was great start to the movie...and them banging out tge bus windoW too

Fave.scene was when they had dude under the table wit the dog on him...that was some vicious ?

Great movie

? touched me and made me proud to be black

Cant recall the last time a,movie did that honestly....been years

Classic
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    n that red bel air suge had.... Mean!!
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dj pre-k wrote: »
    I think Brotha Lynch Hung owned Black market and he was taxin

it was actually ced singleton, who owned black market records, but you right though lynch was on the label. that is still a dope name, as well as black wall street.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    finally saw it.

They jus skimmed over 100 miles and running. Yet played pretty much ALL of No Vaseline with reactions.

They made it seem like Cube wrote Friday all by himself. um DJ Pooh

SMH. They kinda made Eazy look like a sucker in the end. Beggin Cube and Dre for a reunion. Then STRESSED that E went from a mansion to the regular house.

Good to hear Bone get mentioned and seein the "Bone" tape next to Eazy's death bed was a super nice touch.

Bone Thugs deserved a mention at the very end when they were speaking on NWA's off spring. (50, Em, Snoop etc). Bone was Eazy's last gift to the world b4 he died.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I saw the movie yesterday, FCKN DOPE... Although I wish they made Eazy abit more gangsta, but I guess they wanted the casual fans to warm to Eazy as a good/likeable character...

There were a few inaccuracies, like Pac spitting 'Hail Marry' when Im sure that didnt get recoded until after Dre left Death Row and also Dre didnt want to give Pac the 'California Love' beat... But its a movie...

Also I always thought Dre didnt speak with Eazy on the phone and make peace, which is why he was upset that he didnt get to the hospital in time to make up...

Another thing, like the dude above says they made Cube look like he wrote the first 'Friday' by himself which was off, but I did like the Friday nods in the movie like 'Bye Felicia' in the hotel with the chicks ? off boyfriend (which most of the cinema didnt pick up on as im the only one that laughed) and the 'you got knocked the fck out' line haha

One question though, who was the dude wearing the Cazals who hung around NWA for most of the movie???
  • water ur seeds
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Also I was impressed with Cube's sons acting skills... Very impressive, he really looked and acted like an OG Cube, but when he laughed he kinda looked like a Cube/Drake hybrid lol
  • YapatnaJB
    YapatnaJB Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @water ur seeds that guy was Sir Jinx I think your talking about
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    YapatnaJB wrote: »
    @water ur seeds that guy was Sir Jinx I think your talking about

I thought that during the movie, just did a Google search and came up short... Thanks for the confirmation though...
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw it for a second time last night, the movie is really well done
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    Like Water wrote: »
    I'm going to the movies Saturday and me and the wife finna be busy as ? for the next month -- so my question is: this or Rogue Nation?

Support the damn movie

I'm a dinosaur that still buys albums and movies of those I support. Not to mention, I know the story of NWA and I ain't no young cat that needs to be introduced to them for the first time. Nor am I some hipster or a revisionist. I have all of the classics from this legendary group and understand its influence quite well.

It was a simple question meant for those who have seen both movies and have an objective opinion since I'm strapped for time and I believe both movies to be extremely good. I'll prolly end up owning both eventually anyway.

But Stew was right, I'll take my ass to LCA and pose the question since muhfuckas gettin aggy as ? in here.

Im kinda in the same predicament too busy to catch every movie and I want to see these two specifically. And yeah I don't need a history lesson on nwa either. But my boys have told me it's good so I'll think I wait on mission impossible 4 and catch straight outta Compton this week.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it fair to say that

3096369.jpg

is a hella better movie than

notorious_nodreamistoobig_cover.jpg

I saw it and Straight Outta Compton was hella better than Notorious. It was weird seeing things acted out on screen that I remembered when they happened, like the New Music Seminar fight, Cube leaving the group, Dre leaving, reading in The Source that Suge run up on Eazy to get Dre and the D.O.C. out of their Ruthless contracts.

What I can't figure out is why did they agree to give Jerry punk ass 20%. From what I understand managers only get 5-10%, and the 10% is if the manager is known and has managed superstar acts. Being that Dre and Yella were already in the industry, it seems as if they would have had rudimentary knowledge about getting lawyers to look over your contacts.

Also, what I can't figure out is why Eazy was so loyal to Jerry. It seems to me the Eazy should have realized that Jerry, not Cube, (and especially Dre,) was the expendable one. When Dre approached Eazy about the contracts, Eazy should have realized something was wrong. Like Cube said in No Vaseline, "You let a Jew break up my crew."

I think a better ending would have been the event that actually happened which was when Suge went to Dre's house to get the masters, and Suge asks Dre what is he going to call his label. Dre says "Aftermath," and slams the door in his face. I was trippin' off of the fact that Eazy had on the black White Sox cap in '86 when Sox didn't change to the the team colors until '91. Also, the lil chick that was playing Kim was bad as ? .

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This film has made more then 8 Mile, ? is crazy.....there's gonna be a flood of hip-hop biographies in the big screen in the future, if the films keep it real it will be a great thing.
  • the best 1
    the best 1 Members Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

One question though, who was the dude wearing the Cazals who hung around NWA for most of the movie???

Sir Jinx - co-producer of Ice Cube's "Amerikkas Most Wanted", "? At Will", "Death Certificate" and Dr Dre's cousin. They did a good job with the casting... that guy looked like Jinx and kinda sounded like him too.

Fvv8d7n.jpg

Here's Jinx from the movie...

Kc0TTBw.jpg
  • the best 1
    the best 1 Members Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Priority Records scene really happened in real life....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPt2YjHBqrw
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was a good movie and Im glad it's going well. Good to see NWA get their proper dues from this generation and see their music and legacy be exposed to a new audience.

That being said, I didnt like a few things with the movie.

1. They just glossed over the Eazy/Dre beef like it never happened. I was waiting for "Dre Day" and "Real Muthaphfuckin Gs" but it never came.
    2. They ? on Ren
    3. They didnt even acknowledge ? 4 Life
    4. They made it seem like Eazy wasnt doing ? after NWA broke up when he discovered Bone Thugs and was releasing solo albums/EPs.
    5. Having Dre punking out Suge's people. I wasnt there, but I doubt he was Tysoning dudes left and right. I guess to the victor goes the spoils.

All in all, I give it an 8/10.
  • mdot
    mdot Members Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw it today glad I did. The acting was top notch. Some stuff seems off but overall they did a great job.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Straight Outta Compton is the number one movie in the country AGAIN......only 3 other films this year have had the number one spot for three weeks. It's officially the biggest music biography of all time B)

http://collider.com/straight-outta-compton-back-on-top-of-the-box-office/

After losing out to War Room (though just barely) on Friday, Straight Outta Compton is back on top of the box office. The NWA bio earned an estimated $13.2 million in the last three days, bringing its domestic total up to $134.1 million. That means that Compton is now by far the most successful musical biography of all time, topping 2005’s Walk the Line ($119.5) and 2002’s 8 Mile ($116.7).

giphy.gif
  • newOldSchool
    newOldSchool Members Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw the movie yesterday, FCKN DOPE... Although I wish they made Eazy abit more gangsta, but I guess they wanted the casual fans to warm to Eazy as a good/likeable character...

There were a few inaccuracies, like Pac spitting 'Hail Marry' when Im sure that didnt get recoded until after Dre left Death Row and also Dre didnt want to give Pac the 'California Love' beat... But its a movie...

Also I always thought Dre didnt speak with Eazy on the phone and make peace, which is why he was upset that he didnt get to the hospital in time to make up...

Another thing, like the dude above says they made Cube look like he wrote the first 'Friday' by himself which was off, but I did like the Friday nods in the movie like 'Bye Felicia' in the hotel with the chicks ? off boyfriend (which most of the cinema didnt pick up on as im the only one that laughed) and the 'you got knocked the fck out' line haha

Everyone in the theater started dying laughing on "bye Felicia" when I was there.

The Dre and Easy talking and having a phone convo feels like "Movie Magic" to me. I've seen lots of Dre interviews post Easy's death and not until recently has Dre started to say they spoke, my guess is to support that storyline. But I still like the idea of them speaking.
  • newOldSchool
    newOldSchool Members Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is it fair to say that

3096369.jpg

is a hella better movie than

notorious_nodreamistoobig_cover.jpg

I saw it and Straight Outta Compton was hella better than Notorious. It was weird seeing things acted out on screen that I remembered when they happened, like the New Music Seminar fight, Cube leaving the group, Dre leaving, reading in The Source that Suge run up on Eazy to get Dre and the D.O.C. out of their Ruthless contracts.

What I can't figure out is why did they agree to give Jerry punk ass 20%. From what I understand managers only get 5-10%, and the 10% is if the manager is known and has managed superstar acts. Being that Dre and Yella were already in the industry, it seems as if they would have had rudimentary knowledge about getting lawyers to look over your contacts.

Also, what I can't figure out is why Eazy was so loyal to Jerry. It seems to me the Eazy should have realized that Jerry, not Cube, (and especially Dre,) was the expendable one. When Dre approached Eazy about the contracts, Eazy should have realized something was wrong. Like Cube said in No Vaseline, "You let a Jew break up my crew."

I think a better ending would have been the event that actually happened which was when Suge went to Dre's house to get the masters, and Suge asks Dre what is he going to call his label. Dre says "Aftermath," and slams the door in his face. I was trippin' off of the fact that Eazy had on the black White Sox cap in '86 when Sox didn't change to the the team colors until '91. Also, the lil chick that was playing Kim was bad as ? .

Cold 187um spoke on Easy being loyal to Jerry. From Easy's perspective Jerry took them from ? 's trying to make it, to ? performing sold out shows. Easy would have still been selling drugs and Dre would have been working at Eve After Dark if not for Jerry (In Easy's Mind). Plus, Jerry was telling them that they were expendable. Look at the comment he made in the movie when Cube left. " Ren is just as good."
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like somebody posted a couple pages back, they may have portrayed Eazy this way to make him appear as a more sympathetic figure to the audience, thus helping his overall legacy. They may not have wanted people to remember him as a lying thief that screwed all of them out of millions.

Or.......

This may be the truth about Eazy, in which only the members of NWA and his ex wife know.
This discussion has been closed.