10/10/15-20 Year Anniversary of The Million Man March: You Going?

Options

Comments

• phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    Im hyped as ? . Just got the email confirming my room is booked. I bought my bus ticket monday. I have been putting pocket change and broken bills to the side every week since July so i can have some trip/meal money once I get in DC and its starting to add up. I got my travel bag and potential outfits already laid out on my bed. I havent been this excited towards anything in a long while. October 10th is going to be a life changer I can feel it!

DC residents how is the weather like in October?

October's whatever. Just make sure you bring a jacket and a pair of shorts just incase. This year seems like a toss up with cooler/average weather temperatures having the slight by just considering how chill the weather's been at night recently
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I'm staying with one of my dogs out there. ? a $179 a da.y Times are tough.

Question is it one or two days for the March?
  • black caesar
    Options
    Yes
    Im hyped as ? . Just got the email confirming my room is booked I bought my bus ticket monday. I have been putting pocket change and broken bills to the side every week since July so i can have some trip/meal money once I get in DC and its starting to add up. I got my travel bag and potential outfits already laid out on my bed. I havent been this excited towards anything in a long while. October 10th is going to be a life changer I can feel it!

Bring a coat.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    phukkyou2 wrote: »
    Im hyped as ? . Just got the email confirming my room is booked. I bought my bus ticket monday. I have been putting pocket change and broken bills to the side every week since July so i can have some trip/meal money once I get in DC and its starting to add up. I got my travel bag and potential outfits already laid out on my bed. I havent been this excited towards anything in a long while. October 10th is going to be a life changer I can feel it!

October's whatever. Just make sure you bring a jacket and a pair of shorts just incase. This year seems like a toss up with cooler/average weather temperatures having the slight by just considering how chill the weather's been at night recently

Shorts in October in DC? You gonna be cold as ?
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Lefty wrote: »
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    To do what? Walk?

The question every IC online activist should be asking themselves is what can be done in their own communities with the youth? Never mind the march, perform the outreach in your own city. Take a stronger more influential action instead of just walking for some statement.

? do you see this? I ain't sayin it is the solution, but it could help spark the solution. Sometimes you gotta just take what you can get and build from it. A million minds can produce limitless ideas. Crackas scared of ? like this, if they scared, you know it's bout somethin.

mmm2.jpg
    I don't think some of you short sighted ? understand how dope this is on so many levels. And honestly, if there was something like this sanctioned every year and black men kept a good turnout, you know how many minds could be effected, how many minds could be opened, how many connections could be made, how many young minds could be taken off the ? . You know that proud feeling you get when you at a family reunion, or a hood cookout? This is deeper than either of those. You're a black man before even your last name, which ain't ours to begin with. I know i'm speakin real positive, maybe too positive, but we so ? up as a people i'm damn near willing to try anything at this point. As black men, we set the tone for ourselves, and our households. We deal with so much negativity, we all know what it's like to be black men in america. ? ain't no cakewalk cuzz. I'm for anything that brings ? together. Maybe that stare that we all give eachother at stop lights could turn into a peace sign. Somethin gotta shake though. We livin crazy right now.

The first march was absolutely historic. I was young and in the street heavy, so regrettably I didn't go. What I witnessed on television was amazing and if I remember correctly, not one negative incident occurred. The media even tried to lie about the number of black men that marched that day. It was easily one million, but they kept trying to say several hundred thousand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol3BIfAKqPI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-_FNFSP0rA

The day before the march, I heard Khalid Abdul Muhammad and a young Malik Shabazz speak at the pre-million man march rally. CNN damn near cut it off because of how unfiltered these brother were.

• phukkyou2
    Options
    Yes
    blackrain wrote: »

Nah. Not really. Usually it's not bad in October. It doesn't really get cold/chilly til November. In the past few years it's been wishy washy but for the most part it's typically warm in September and October. We got a Heatwave going on right now.

Shiet tho, winters be jah like long. ? don't start warming up til June. May be chilly as ? foreal, especially at night
  • blackrain
    Options

Nah. Not really. Usually it's not bad in October. It doesn't really get cold/chilly til November. In the past few years it's been wishy washy but for the most part it's typically warm in September and October. We got a Heatwave going on right now.

Shiet tho, winters be jah like long. ? don't start warming up til June. May be chilly as ? foreal, especially at night

I've lived here my entire life...it's not winter cold in October but you ain't out here wearing shorts either. Them days are gone by October.
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I'm staying with one of my dogs out there. ? a $179 a da.y Times are tough.

Question is it one or two days for the March?

I dont blame you for not wanting to pay for a room. In the last two weeks the prices have sky rocketed. The average price for a room downtown as of now is starting at 350 a night not including those holds on your credit card and taxes. Getting a room is hard to find in DC now. Travelocity and Expedia says 65% occupied and still got 5 weeks to go. I should of got my room last month. I had to settle for a room a few miles away from downtown but reasonably affordable to reach by cab or metro rail/bus. They trying to price the blacks out of downtown but the expensive rooms are still filling up.

I think its a one day event. The flyers says it takes place from 5:00am-7:00pm. Im probably going to end up camping out downtown friday night waiting for the moment the allow people on the lawn because I want to be close as possible to the podium
  • phukkyou2
    Options
    Yes

I've lived here my entire life...it's not winter cold in October but you ain't out here wearing shorts either. Them days are gone by October.

I guess you're anemic then lol. 70s is shorts weather to me
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes
    1) No networking came out of the first rally, so what's to make going to make this one any different?

well thanks to the first march, 1,700,000+ black people were added to the voter registration rolls.

also...

Obama took time off from attending campaign coffees to attend October's Million Man March in Washington, D.C. His experiences there only reinforced his reasons for jumping into politics.

"What I saw was a powerful demonstration of an impulse and need for African-American men to come together to recognize each other and affirm our rightful place in the society," he said. "There was a profound sense that African-American men were ready to make a commitment to bring about change in our communities and lives.

"But what was lacking among march organizers was a positive agenda, a coherent agenda for change. Without this agenda a lot of this energy is going to dissipate. Just as holding hands and singing 'We shall overcome' is not going to do it, exhorting youth to have pride in their race, give up drugs and crime, is not going to do it if we can't find jobs and futures for the 50 percent of black youth who are unemployed, underemployed, and full of bitterness and rage.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/what-makes-obama-run/Content?oid=889221

So yeah. Its possible to be skeptical of the march's goals and Farrakhan's.....weird ? .....yet still take something substantive away from the experience.
    Nothing going to stop me from going. I feel like something positive that we have yet to imagine e will happen. I feel like official numbers will topple out at 4-5 million black men showing up. I have to go. I be a ? ass no fight uncle tom if I didnt. This is our early 60s march.

Alright can we plz chill w/ the impossible expectations tho, people always gas up the potential effect of a march in D.C wayyyy too much. Every year see progressive activists pushing some march in the fall and yappin like they really gonna start some revolution that ends capitalism and war or summin. ? is stupid. Right Wing cacs talk the same ? lol "we're gonna get 10 million Tea Party Patriots in D.C to launch a revolution again Obamacare" like mannnn sit your delusional ass down lol.

fwiw

Feminists, ? , Unions, and Jews all have had marches that reached 200,000. "I Have A Dream" march attendance was 250,000. Largest Anti-Vietnam War protest was 600,000. Largest Pro-Choice marches top 500k. How many of those marches other than Farrakhan's and MLK's have you heard of before btw? Right exactly, I had to google this ? lol. LBJ & Obama's inaugurations are still the High Score for D.C gatherings at around 2,000,000 and those absolutely shut the city down from what I'm told. (Klu Klux ? march had 50,000 in case you were wondering...)
    And I hate to be a ? about it but WOMEN AND WEED will be plentiful.

.........oh right they DID legalize it....................hm..........................

giphy.gif
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    yep, I'm going.
  • black caesar
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »
    I WANTED TO GO BUT I WASNT ABOUT TO GO SOLO...

Dro man up. Solo trips aren't bad, plus this is a historic event that you could tell your family about.
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Already here!
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    IC trill brother meet up @the rally? I havent gone back and read the posts to see if thats the plan but me and my cousin gonna drive down there. Its about a 6 hr drive im figuring. Im not missing this for ? .
  •  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    IC trill brother meet up @the rally? I havent gone back and read the posts to see if thats the plan but me and my cousin gonna drive down there. Its about a 6 hr drive im figuring. Im not missing this for ? .

We in there.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To do what? Walk?

The question every IC online activist should be asking themselves is what can be done in their own communities with the youth? Never mind the march, perform the outreach in your own city. Take a stronger more influential action instead of just walking for some statement.

? do you see this? I ain't sayin it is the solution, but it could help spark the solution. Sometimes you gotta just take what you can get and build from it. A million minds can produce limitless ideas. Crackas scared of ? like this, if they scared, you know it's bout somethin.

mmm2.jpg
    I don't think some of you short sighted ? understand how dope this is on so many levels. And honestly, if there was something like this sanctioned every year and black men kept a good turnout, you know how many minds could be effected, how many minds could be opened, how many connections could be made, how many young minds could be taken off the ? . You know that proud feeling you get when you at a family reunion, or a hood cookout? This is deeper than either of those. You're a black man before even your last name, which ain't ours to begin with. I know i'm speakin real positive, maybe too positive, but we so ? up as a people i'm damn near willing to try anything at this point. As black men, we set the tone for ourselves, and our households. We deal with so much negativity, we all know what it's like to be black men in america. ? ain't no cakewalk cuzz. I'm for anything that brings ? together. Maybe that stare that we all give eachother at stop lights could turn into a peace sign. Somethin gotta shake though. We livin crazy right now.

And what some of you overly optimist "pie in the sky, when I wish upon a star, Disney movie," dudes fail to realize is that ultimately that his rally is nothing more than a feel good gathering en masse that nothing tangible is going to come out of. Why do you say that Rex? Well, what were the tangible and positive results of the first rally? Dudes went out there, heard some speeches, got momentarily and about three weeks later returned to their regularly scheduled ? . What is going to be said at this rally that wasn't said at the first one? Unless some cats are coming with some practical solution based ? , then this is all a monumental waste of time, energy, and money.

The thing that not has me thoroughly perplexed and sadden is black men will willingly spend money on this ? , but Dr. Johnson is STILL trying to raise money for his school. If dudes are willing to spend money to stand around on the National Mall to hear Farrakhan long winded ass say the same damn ? he's been saying for 30 years, why can't brothers donate that same amount of money to something that will lead to positive and tangible results, the teaching, mentoring, grooming, and nurturing of the new generation of black politicians, entrepreneurs, financiers, engineers, etc.

pennyda1 wrote: »
    I am going... But anybody know any good hotels
    To stay at everything I seen was 179 a night. I'm not trying to spend that much

Say bruh, and I'm dead ass serious. Why don't you stay home, take that $179 and donate it to Dr. Johnson's school. Let's say only 500,000 dudes planned on going, but instead of paying $179 for a hotel room, they donated that money to Dr. Johnson for his school. That would be $89,500,000.00. Imagine if Umar Johnson had that much money to start schools for black children all over America the fruit that those seeds would eventually yield, plus he'd even have a little left over to trick off on conscious strippers. The cold part about is that brothers are more willing able to support hotels, restaurants, gas stations, bus companies, and air lines that are owned by members of the dominate society. If you asked me, this some ass backwards ? . However, if y'all insist on going to D.C. to stand around for hours at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to listen Louis Farrakhan for 2 plus hours, then I feel as if you have a duty make a donation to Dr. Johnson's school equal to the amount of money that you spent for this trip. If cats did that, then maybe in for the 50th anniversary of the Million Man March, we can finally start talking about the progress that we have made as a people.

• S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes
    Helpful hints:

1)check airbnb

2)priceline express hotels. They dont give you the name, but you can specify the nunber of stars and pinpoint an area. Bettebidding.com reveals all the hotels they will give baed on he location and stars. IfJUST getting any room is your criteria, u can get Redroof or econo log for 100 bucks right now

3) you dont need to say IN dc. U can actually stay in Crystal city or Arlington and literally be closer via metro than if u stayed in certain points in DC

4) you're not gonna be able to drive and park, so this will be your best friend

L01_Metromap.png

Wmata.com You can plan any trip from your location . National mall is Smithsonian stop which is smack in he middle of that map
  • 216atlran
    216atlran Members Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    I gotta look this stuff up & all the events, anybody got any links? I got off the 10th & 11th from my job.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not Sure Yet
    Ill be there
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes

Early October is mild. the coldest it gets during that time is 50-60 degrees. I could tell you to bring a jacket, but black folk generate a lot of heat so you probably won't need it.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    S2J wrote: »
    Helpful hints:

1)check airbnb

2)priceline express hotels. They dont give you the name, but you can specify the nunber of stars and pinpoint an area. Bettebidding.com reveals all the hotels they will give baed on he location and stars. IfJUST getting any room is your criteria, u can get Redroof or econo log for 100 bucks right now

3) you dont need to say IN dc. U can actually stay in Crystal city or Arlington and literally be closer via metro than if u stayed in certain points in DC

L01_Metromap.png

Wmata.com You can plan any trip from your location . National mall is Smithsonian stop which is smack in he middle of that map

Smithsonian is probably gonna be closed. Archives is probably the best option.

to digress slightly: I wish that these marches weren't held in NW. They should be held in the hood where the people who need to see black manhood up close and personal can see it and participate. Even when I was a kid I used to ask my parents why it couldn't be held in Anacostia, Barry Farms, Lincoln Heights, or Mayfair.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Lol @ a million man march in Barry Farms

Yea thats 1 of them 'sounds good on paper' ideas

Actually...no, that don't even sound good on paper.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Not Sure Yet
    To do what? Walk?

mmm2.jpg

And what some of you overly optimist "pie in the sky, when I wish upon a star, Disney movie," dudes fail to realize is that ultimately that his rally is nothing more than a feel good gathering en masse that nothing tangible is going to come out of. Why do you say that Rex? Well, what were the tangible and positive results of the first rally? Dudes went out there, heard some speeches, got momentarily and about three weeks later returned to their regularly scheduled ? . What is going to be said at this rally that wasn't said at the first one? Unless some cats are coming with some practical solution based ? , then this is all a monumental waste of time, energy, and money.

The thing that not has me thoroughly perplexed and sadden is black men will willingly spend money on this ? , but Dr. Johnson is STILL trying to raise money for his school. If dudes are willing to spend money to stand around on the National Mall to hear Farrakhan long winded ass say the same damn ? he's been saying for 30 years, why can't brothers donate that same amount of money to something that will lead to positive and tangible results, the teaching, mentoring, grooming, and nurturing of the new generation of black politicians, entrepreneurs, financiers, engineers, etc.

pennyda1 wrote: »
    I am going... But anybody know any good hotels
    To stay at everything I seen was 179 a night. I'm not trying to spend that much

Say bruh, and I'm dead ass serious. Why don't you stay home, take that $179 and donate it to Dr. Johnson's school. Let's say only 500,000 dudes planned on going, but instead of paying $179 for a hotel room, they donated that money to Dr. Johnson for his school. That would be $89,500,000.00. Imagine if Umar Johnson had that much money to start schools for black children all over America the fruit that those seeds would eventually yield, plus he'd even have a little left over to trick off on conscious strippers. The cold part about is that brothers are more willing able to support hotels, restaurants, gas stations, bus companies, and air lines that are owned by members of the dominate society. If you asked me, this some ass backwards ? . However, if y'all insist on going to D.C. to stand around for hours at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to listen Louis Farrakhan for 2 plus hours, then I feel as if you have a duty make a donation to Dr. Johnson's school equal to the amount of money that you spent for this trip. If cats did that, then maybe in for the 50th anniversary of the Million Man March, we can finally start talking about the progress that we have made as a people.
    Yaaaaaaaaaawn.
    holier than thou ass ? , be the main ones who dont do either or
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    Helpful hints:

1)check airbnb

L01_Metromap.png

Smithsonian is probably gonna be closed. Archives is probably the best option.

to digress slightly: I wish that these marches weren't held in NW. They should be held in the hood where the people who need to see black manhood up close and personal can see it and participate. Even when I was a kid I used to ask my parents why it couldn't be held in Anacostia, Barry Farms, Lincoln Heights, or Mayfair.

A million ? gathering in the hood vs. a million ? gather in americas capital...
    Ooooookay.
  • blackrain
    Options
    Oh and for all the "they legalized it " it people it's legal for medicinal use not recreational. However the law is if you're found with anything less than an ounce it's a fine or some ? you don't get arrested. We ain't Colorado where you can walk into stores and buy weed..yet.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Props to yall brothers thats going. Folks can talk online all day but actually getting out there and linking up with others for inspiration and hopefully positive change is a great thing that trumps all else. If I lived close to that area I would definitely be there