10/10/15-20 Year Anniversary of The Million Man March: You Going?

Options

Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited September 2015
    Options
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    S2J wrote: »
    Helpful hints:

1)check airbnb

2)priceline express hotels. They dont give you the name, but you can specify the nunber of stars and pinpoint an area. Bettebidding.com reveals all the hotels they will give baed on he location and stars. IfJUST getting any room is your criteria, u can get Redroof or econo log for 100 bucks right now

3) you dont need to say IN dc. U can actually stay in Crystal city or Arlington and literally be closer via metro than if u stayed in certain points in DC

4) you're not gonna be able to drive and park, so this will be your best friend

L01_Metromap.png

Wmata.com You can plan any trip from your location . National mall is Smithsonian stop which is smack in he middle of that map

Smithsonian is probably gonna be closed. Archives is probably the best option.

to digress slightly: I wish that these marches weren't held in NW. They should be held in the hood where the people who need to see black manhood up close and personal can see it and participate. Even when I was a kid I used to ask my parents why it couldn't be held in Anacostia, Barry Farms, Lincoln Heights, or Mayfair.

Logistically it wouldn't work in Anacostia. Literally the way the neighborhood is designed it doesn't work. Same with Barry Farms which is literally 1 stop light over from Anacostia. Its project housing and the Farms is much smaller than people outside of DC think. ? is literally just a loop up and down 2 hills and you drive through in less than 45 seconds.

Edit @D0wn those are neighborhoods in DC. Hell except for Georgetown,The Farms might be the most well known neighborhood to people not from here
  • phukkyou2
    phukkyou2 Members Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes
    The Farms ain't even that bad tho. The constant bombardment of the Police just makes it feel that way. Everytime I been in The Farms I been straight. They got Construction goin on by the school the last time I checked so it's definitely chill over there.

Honestly it just has a reputation that needs to go away. I ain't gonna front like I be all thru there like that like that but it definitely ain't Hell On Earth. It's surrounded by Police, a school, a big ass hospital, and a Train Station, and this other ? they're building. Not to mention the Corner Store over there. There just isn't enough space for it to be otherwise.

All it is for the most part is just some regular Section 8 ?
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes
    blackrain wrote: »
    Helpful hints:

1)check airbnb

2)priceline express hotels. They dont give you the name, but you can specify the nunber of stars and pinpoint an area. Bettebidding.com reveals all the hotels they will give baed on he location and stars. IfJUST getting any room is your criteria, u can get Redroof or econo log for 100 bucks right now

3) you dont need to say IN dc. U can actually stay in Crystal city or Arlington and literally be closer via metro than if u stayed in certain points in DC

L01_Metromap.png

Wmata.com You can plan any trip from your location . National mall is Smithsonian stop which is smack in he middle of that map

to digress slightly: I wish that these marches weren't held in NW. They should be held in the hood where the people who need to see black manhood up close and personal can see it and participate. Even when I was a kid I used to ask my parents why it couldn't be held in Anacostia, Barry Farms, Lincoln Heights, or Mayfair.

Logistically it wouldn't work in Anacostia. Literally the way the neighborhood is designed it doesn't work. Same with Barry Farms which is literally 1 stop light over from Anacostia. Its project housing and the Farms is much smaller than people outside of DC think. ? is literally just a loop up and down 2 hills and you drive through in less than 45 seconds.

Edit @D0wn those are neighborhoods in DC. Hell except for Georgetown,The Farms might be the most well known neighborhood to people not from here

Eh, perhaps I am thinking too big for that area. I just want the hood to see the movement. I wish the movement was as accessible to them as Real Housewives of Ratchet.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Helpful hints:

1)check airbnb

L01_Metromap.png

Eh, perhaps I am thinking too big for that area. I just want the hood to see the movement. I wish the movement was as accessible to them as Real Housewives of Ratchet.

Ain't too many places on the southside built for that other than small parts of downtown. ? is pretty packed in. You don't really get any space til you hit certain parts of SW and NW which is where downtown is
  • Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I pay taxes so im accounted for. its another census for the rest of yall ? .
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    _Lefty wrote: »
    Dr.Chemix wrote: »
    To do what? Walk?

The question every IC online activist should be asking themselves is what can be done in their own communities with the youth? Never mind the march, perform the outreach in your own city. Take a stronger more influential action instead of just walking for some statement.

? do you see this? I ain't sayin it is the solution, but it could help spark the solution. Sometimes you gotta just take what you can get and build from it. A million minds can produce limitless ideas. Crackas scared of ? like this, if they scared, you know it's bout somethin.

mmm2.jpg
    _Lefty wrote: »
    I don't think some of you short sighted ? understand how dope this is on so many levels. And honestly, if there was something like this sanctioned every year and black men kept a good turnout, you know how many minds could be effected, how many minds could be opened, how many connections could be made, how many young minds could be taken off the ? . You know that proud feeling you get when you at a family reunion, or a hood cookout? This is deeper than either of those. You're a black man before even your last name, which ain't ours to begin with. I know i'm speakin real positive, maybe too positive, but we so ? up as a people i'm damn near willing to try anything at this point. As black men, we set the tone for ourselves, and our households. We deal with so much negativity, we all know what it's like to be black men in america. ? ain't no cakewalk cuzz. I'm for anything that brings ? together. Maybe that stare that we all give eachother at stop lights could turn into a peace sign. Somethin gotta shake though. We livin crazy right now.

And what some of you overly optimist "pie in the sky, when I wish upon a star, Disney movie," dudes fail to realize is that ultimately that his rally is nothing more than a feel good gathering en masse that nothing tangible is going to come out of. Why do you say that Rex? Well, what were the tangible and positive results of the first rally? Dudes went out there, heard some speeches, got momentarily and about three weeks later returned to their regularly scheduled ? . What is going to be said at this rally that wasn't said at the first one? Unless some cats are coming with some practical solution based ? , then this is all a monumental waste of time, energy, and money.

The thing that not has me thoroughly perplexed and sadden is black men will willingly spend money on this ? , but Dr. Johnson is STILL trying to raise money for his school. If dudes are willing to spend money to stand around on the National Mall to hear Farrakhan long winded ass say the same damn ? he's been saying for 30 years, why can't brothers donate that same amount of money to something that will lead to positive and tangible results, the teaching, mentoring, grooming, and nurturing of the new generation of black politicians, entrepreneurs, financiers, engineers, etc.

pennyda1 wrote: »
    I am going... But anybody know any good hotels
    To stay at everything I seen was 179 a night. I'm not trying to spend that much

Say bruh, and I'm dead ass serious. Why don't you stay home, take that $179 and donate it to Dr. Johnson's school. Let's say only 500,000 dudes planned on going, but instead of paying $179 for a hotel room, they donated that money to Dr. Johnson for his school. That would be $89,500,000.00. Imagine if Umar Johnson had that much money to start schools for black children all over America the fruit that those seeds would eventually yield, plus he'd even have a little left over to trick off on conscious strippers. The cold part about is that brothers are more willing able to support hotels, restaurants, gas stations, bus companies, and air lines that are owned by members of the dominate society. If you asked me, this some ass backwards ? . However, if y'all insist on going to D.C. to stand around for hours at the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to listen Louis Farrakhan for 2 plus hours, then I feel as if you have a duty make a donation to Dr. Johnson's school equal to the amount of money that you spent for this trip. If cats did that, then maybe in for the 50th anniversary of the Million Man March, we can finally start talking about the progress that we have made as a people.

There is nothing wrong with being overly optimistic. Faith is all we have left at this point. I rather be a wish upon a star singing field ? with my boots on the ground in DC uniting with the rest of my black nation that give a ? about what we going through now than to be a ? making excuses hiding behind a dollar. The unity, black empowerment, love and refocus that will be on display amongst man woman and child in DC that day along with the rest of the world will be priceless. Fatherless black kids are a punchline in the GNS. Black women/broken black families are a punchline in GNS. There are millions of them coming to DC that day and its my duty as a black man to show up and stand tall along with them. You say this wont be nothing but a feel good march. I say so what. Black folks have been through hell these past 3 years. Black man is lower on the social totem pole than he was 50 years ago. We need a re-education into the real plight of the black man from Farrakhan. Some of dont know where we come from or where we are headed. We all need a pep talk. We all need a shoulder to cry on. We all need a brother to talk to and a sister to understand us. Thats what nutures the warrior spirit. The march will offer this. I bet my life I will comeback a stronger man than when I leave. Yall bean counters stay at home though. History will be made. No less than 4 Million will be in DC. The women will outnumber the men 2:1. This will be a life changing event for alot of people
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    LOL this ? said have the million man march down the FARMS

Its obvious some of you 'city' ? aint really from the city
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How a ? can talk down on another while simultaneously doing absolutely nothing will always astound me. If this joint flip a switch for 1000 ? it's a success because that positivity breeds. Like I said, bunch of short sighted dudes out here. Sitting on a couch talkin about what we need to do ain't doin ? . You ever been to a funeral, funerals bring whole families together. The drive to the gravesite, the repass and all that helps a family cope, just that togetherness lifts a weight of sadness at least temporarily. We need somethin like this in the worst way we out here gettin excecuted and ? still talkin bout what we need to do. We either gotta make moves, or get ran over. ? what these ? talkin bout.
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Yaaaaaaaaaawn. holier than thou ass ? , be the main ones who dont do either or...

Naw, it's the "holier than thou," who think that showing up a rally is suddenly cause dudes to take action. Dudes are going to to say that they were there and hopefully try to see the chick Snoop was talkin' about in All About U, with her daughter he can holla at her and her daughter, then try to ? .
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with being overly optimistic. Faith is all we have left at this point.

You should like those black folks that would be in church singing, crying, and talking about forgiveness. We don't need faith, what we is a plan of action and viable means of implementing it.
    I rather be a wish upon a star singing field ? with my boots on the ground in DC uniting with the rest of my black nation that give a ? about what we going through now than to be a ? making excuses hiding behind a dollar.

So what are you doing right now? Or what are you going to be inspired to do after you come home from this attention whorin' charade? BTW, are you going to donate money to Dr. Johnson's school?
    The unity, black empowerment, love and refocus that will be on display amongst man woman and child in DC that day along with the rest of the world will be priceless.

We don't need a "display." We need a plan of action.
    its my duty as a black man to show up and stand tall along with them. You say this wont be nothing but a feel good march.

So what are you doing now in your community?
    You say this wont be nothing but a feel good march.

So what tangible results came out of the first march, and exactly how is this going to be different?
    I say so what.

How is that suppose to be beneficial to black people?
    Black folks have been through hell these past 3 years.

As opposed to when? Haven't been going through hell for the entire 396 years that we've been in this country?
    Black man is lower on the social totem pole than he was 50 years ago.

No we're not.
    We need a re-education into the real plight of the black man from Farrakhan.

The Elijah Muhammed had Malcolm killed, the government provided logistical and more than likely made a deal with the N.O.I. Farrakhan admitted that he added to rhetoric that led to Brother Malcolm's death. He also said that Brother Malcolm was a traitor and dealt with like a traitor. This a man you want re-education from?
    We all need a pep talk. We all need a shoulder to cry on.

Really bruh? That was a ? made statement filled with feminine energy. Dude is over hear equating the plight of African Americans to a half-time, "Win One for the Gipper," motivational speech, and saying that we need a shoulder to cry like a teen age ? that's cryin' and whinin' behind some smooth talking dude that smashed and dashed.
    We all need a brother to talk to and a sister to understand us.

We already have that.
    Thats what nutures the warrior spirit.

What nurtures the warrior spirit is focused plan of a attack, high morale, and a clear objective.
    The march will offer this.

Really, and who told you that? What did the first one offer?
    I bet my life I will comeback a stronger man than when I leave.

If you need to go stand around by the Washington Monument all day and listen to speeches to become a become a better, than we're more ? as a people than I previously thought.

•  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    D0wn wrote: »
    Yaaaaaaaaaawn. holier than thou ass ? , be the main ones who dont do either or...

Naw, it's the "holier than thou," who think that showing up a rally is suddenly cause dudes to take action. Dudes are going to to say that they were there and hopefully try to see the chick Snoop was talkin' about in All About U, with her daughter he can holla at her and her daughter, then try to ? .
    There is nothing wrong with being overly optimistic. Faith is all we have left at this point.

You should like those black folks that would be in church singing, crying, and talking about forgiveness. We don't need faith, what we is a plan of action and viable means of implementing it.
    I rather be a wish upon a star singing field ? with my boots on the ground in DC uniting with the rest of my black nation that give a ? about what we going through now than to be a ? making excuses hiding behind a dollar.

So what are you doing right now? Or what are you going to be inspired to do after you come home from this attention whorin' charade? BTW, are you going to donate money to Dr. Johnson's school?
    The unity, black empowerment, love and refocus that will be on display amongst man woman and child in DC that day along with the rest of the world will be priceless.

We don't need a "display." We need a plan of action.
    its my duty as a black man to show up and stand tall along with them. You say this wont be nothing but a feel good march.

So what are you doing now in your community?
    You say this wont be nothing but a feel good march.

So what tangible results came out of the first march, and exactly how is this going to be different?
    I say so what.

How is that suppose to be beneficial to black people?
    Black folks have been through hell these past 3 years.

As opposed to when? Haven't been going through hell for the entire 396 years that we've been in this country?
    Black man is lower on the social totem pole than he was 50 years ago.

No we're not.
    We need a re-education into the real plight of the black man from Farrakhan.

The Elijah Muhammed had Malcolm killed, the government provided logistical and more than likely made a deal with the N.O.I. Farrakhan admitted that he added to rhetoric that led to Brother Malcolm's death. He also said that Brother Malcolm was a traitor and dealt with like a traitor. This a man you want re-education from?
    We all need a pep talk. We all need a shoulder to cry on.

Really bruh? That was a ? made statement filled with feminine energy. Dude is over hear equating the plight of African Americans to a half-time, "Win One for the Gipper," motivational speech, and saying that we need a shoulder to cry like a teen age ? that's cryin' and whinin' behind some smooth talking dude that smashed and dashed.
    We all need a brother to talk to and a sister to understand us.

We already have that.
    Thats what nutures the warrior spirit.

What nurtures the warrior spirit is focused plan of a attack, high morale, and a clear objective.
    The march will offer this.

Really, and who told you that? What did the first one offer?
    I bet my life I will comeback a stronger man than when I leave.

If you need to go stand around by the Washington Monument all day and listen to speeches to become a become a better, than we're more ? as a people than I previously thought.

simply put, participating in the march is symbolism, if anything.

that if there were a call for black people to unite and actually do it, they would.

thats it.

if you dont want to participate in the ? , cool.
  • pennyda1
    pennyda1 Members Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    216atlran wrote: »
    If it's going to be for a day or two imma thug it out, same clothes on. ? that 179. I can get a trial gym membership out there & take a shower.

Are you going?
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    texas409 wrote: »
    Props to yall brothers thats going. Folks can talk online all day but actually getting out there and linking up with others for inspiration and hopefully positive change is a great thing that trumps all else. If I lived close to that area I would definitely be there

Going to this march won't do anything. People don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. All these people together....and no investment building. A complete waste of time, and ? all the fake ? "Black leaders' who will use this for their ID brand.
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    Yes
    Props to yall brothers thats going. Folks can talk online all day but actually getting out there and linking up with others for inspiration and hopefully positive change is a great thing that trumps all else. If I lived close to that area I would definitely be there

Going to this march won't do anything. People don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. All these people together....and no investment building. A complete waste of time, and ? all the fake ? "Black leaders' who will use this for their ID brand.

"it wont do anything". what is it SUPPOSED to do outside of show the world that a MILLION black people can come together for a good cause?

your line of thought is so nihilistic but you got it.
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »

"it wont do anything". what is it SUPPOSED to do outside of show the world that a MILLION black people can come together for a good cause?

What's the good cause? We don't need to come to together for a "good cause." We need a plan of action to improve our situation.
  •  i ro ny
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes

What's the good cause? We don't need to come to together for a "good cause." We need a plan of action to improve our situation.

clearly, there is NO reason for me to have dialogue with you about this. i'm not in the business of convincing people or changing minds.

• yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes

You gotta start somewhere bro...

Do what you gotta then you can do what you wanna
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not Sure Yet

clearly, there is NO reason for me to have dialogue with you about this. i'm not in the business of convincing people or changing minds.

Say bruh, dont u plan on fighting some ic ? at the march tho?
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    Yes

nah. that would be silly as ? .

imma tell him about himself tho and how corny he ? is.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Options
    Not Sure Yet

what would be silly as ? is If u think some ? u never met before bout to let u get in his face, Yappin he aint ? without a fight poppin after lol. But ? , I dont know the ? either so he might just accept it and walk away.

•  i ro ny
    Options
    Yes

what would be silly as ? is If u think some ? u never met before bout to let u get in his face, Yappin he aint ? without a fight poppin after lol. But ? , I dont know the ? either so he might just accept it and walk away.

if homie wants that type of problem, so be it.

i give no ? .
  • Lurkristocrat
    Options
    Not Sure Yet

if homie wants that type of problem, so be it.

i give no ? .

No doubt
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    So who's going to this ? glorified group therapy/pep rally on Saturday?
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    Yes
    So who's going to this ? glorified group therapy/pep rally on Saturday?

i'll be at said ? glorified group therapy/pep rally on Saturday?
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody down to carpool?

If I had the paper I would be there.

For those who go, can y'all please make a few videos and post them up in here, they might be streaming it already, but just in case...
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH, I might end up going cause I accidentally asked to be a volunteer.