The Official 2015 New Orleans Pelicans Thread

Options

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I knew it would be an adjustment period but we do not look like a playoff team right now and that's in itself is surprising.

I said before the hire that I wasn't the biggest Alvin Gentry fan, he's an offensive guru but his teams don't play defense.

Kinda reminds me of a Mike D'Antoni lite.

Don't really care for how they are trying to make AD more of a perimeter player either you got a 6'10 man child whose one of the top 3-4 players in the league put him on the block and let him do work.

AD has looked very average through two games which is a shocker for a player of his talent; Gentry got duke shooting floaters and 15 footers like some type of combo guard. Scust.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    We looking shaky.

I. Smith getting too many minutes for my liking.

Jrue is on a strict minutes restriction
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    I knew it would be an adjustment period but we do not look like a playoff team right now and that's in itself is surprising.

I said before the hire that I wasn't the biggest Alvin Gentry fan, he's an offensive guru but his teams don't play defense.

Kinda reminds me of a Mike D'Antoni lite.

Don't really care for how they are trying to make AD more of a perimeter player either you got a 6'10 man child whose one of the top 3-4 players in the league put him on the block and let him do work.

AD has looked very average through two games which is a shocker for a player of his talent; Gentry got duke shooting floaters and 15 footers like some type of combo guard. Scust.

I feel that, I'll just say this. Darren Erman, our defense assistant, had the Celtics looking great last year from a defense standpoint, and they started off just like us. His defense system takes some time to adjust to, and its really not helping that we have 8 players playing heavy minutes against offensive up tempo teams. Not to mention those 8 players about four of them are 3rd and 4th strings who can't shoot for ?

AD started of shaky and frustrated, but if you watch the 2nd half last night he was finding his sports and his shoot. I predicted us to start horrible, but not this bad but whenever we do find out way and become healthy we will be really good.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    guys...guys...guys...

2 games...a back to back on the west coast with a depleted roster...

temper your expectations

Zydeco, if AD becomes a 3pt threat, thats just another tool in the utility belt. This will keep the spacing as it wont allow people to just pack the paint b/c if he knocks down a couple in a row, they have to respect it and come out and guard him...he pump fakes, dribble drives, then he can either look to score or pass to someone on the wing whose man left them to help rim protect. Oh yea, AD was 3/5 being the arc

? , Ish is getting more minutes due to injuries. Plain and simple, and to me, he is outplaying Nate. He pushes the tempo and finds shooters/cutters. I think he had 2 alleys to AD

• Crude_
    Options
    I like what I've seen out of Ish Smith those other guys are borderline d-leaguers.

This should be garbage ass Eric Gordon's time to shine with all these but he's still looking pedestrian as f*ck.

He's the type of guy that would put up decent numbers on a trash squad but on this team where he's the third or fourth option he's pretty useless; he's a liability on defense and very inconsistent offensively.
  • Crude_
    Options
    I'd like to see us go after an athletic shooting guard or small forward before the trade deadline this year.

I also wouldn't mind a stretch 5 who could spread the floor and rebound a little bit.
  • ZydecoShawty
    ZydecoShawty Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    Zydeco, if AD becomes a 3pt threat, thats just another tool in the utility belt. This will keep the spacing as it wont allow people to just pack the paint b/c if he knocks down a couple in a row, they have to respect it and come out and guard him...he pump fakes, dribble drives, then he can either look to score or pass to someone on the wing whose man left them to help rim protect. Oh yea, AD was 3/5 being the arc

We got the best young big man in the game who knows how to score at some of the most crazy angles in the low post, so getting him the ball in the low post and getting the ? outta the way should be the first got damn resort anytime he's on the floor. What the ? we running so many got damn pick and rolls with dudes like Ish Smith and Nate Robinson for?
  • AP21
    Options

We got the best young big man in the game who knows how to score at some of the most crazy angles in the low post, so getting him the ball in the low post and getting the ? outta the way should be the first got damn resort anytime he's on the floor. What the ? we running so many got damn pick and rolls with dudes like Ish Smith and Nate Robinson for?

how can he get in scoring position when the opposing team is throwing their Center at him throwing him off the block? He weigh 250, but still looks light as a feather. Ya'll clown Asik, but this is why he is so vital to AD's success. AD doesnt have to play center when other teams go with bigger lineups.

Draymond Green is just a gnat and pest. He knows how to irritate Davis and get him off his game. Hell, i even said Whiteside from Miami is a bad matchup for AD b/c athletically, they are so much alike.

And you running the PnR b/c thats the play regardless of the personnel. Its the scheme. EVERYONE should be able to run it, and depending on who is on the floor will dictate how the defense defends it which is why you see a ton of PnR with Anderson. If they over commit to the guard, he slips the screen and steps back for the three. If they over commit to him, the guard has the paint to roam.

Crude...Gordon shot 45% from 3 last year and shot like 51% on catch and shoot 3's...c'mon brah...dude dont suck. He has finally settled into what his role is going to be. He's not the dribble ? guy he was when he was in LA. His problem is when he dribbles too much without a purpose. When he is on the attack, its almost a sure thing, he is going to get fouled, but when he dances around the 3 pt line then chucks one up, thats where i have an issue with him

but he dont suck...c'mon fam
  • Crude_
    Options
    Gordon ain't a starting 2 guard on a championship caliber team bruh; yea I know he shot the 3 ball at high percentage last year but a stat sheet does not tell the whole story.

Gordon would be a nice guy to bring in off the bench as second or third guy though similar to how the Spurs have used Patty Mills the last couple of years, yes I know they are two different players that play different positions too by the way.

He needs to be benched and if he can't accept that role then look to shop him around for a younger, bigger, athletic guard who maybe is looking to get a chance on a squad that will give him minutes.
  • silverfoxx
    Options

how can he get in scoring position when the opposing team is throwing their Center at him throwing him off the block? He weigh 250, but still looks light as a feather. Ya'll clown Asik, but this is why he is so vital to AD's success. AD doesnt have to play center when other teams go with bigger lineups.

Draymond Green is just a gnat and pest. He knows how to irritate Davis and get him off his game. Hell, i even said Whiteside from Miami is a bad matchup for AD b/c athletically, they are so much alike.

And you running the PnR b/c thats the play regardless of the personnel. Its the scheme. EVERYONE should be able to run it, and depending on who is on the floor will dictate how the defense defends it which is why you see a ton of PnR with Anderson. If they over commit to the guard, he slips the screen and steps back for the three. If they over commit to him, the guard has the paint to roam.

Crude...Gordon shot 45% from 3 last year and shot like 51% on catch and shoot 3's...c'mon brah...dude dont suck. He has finally settled into what his role is going to be. He's not the dribble ? guy he was when he was in LA. His problem is when he dribbles too much without a purpose. When he is on the attack, its almost a sure thing, he is going to get fouled, but when he dances around the 3 pt line then chucks one up, thats where i have an issue with him

Put beautiful.
    Crude_ wrote: »
    Gordon ain't a starting 2 guard on a championship caliber team bruh; yea I know he shot the 3 ball at high percentage last year but a stat sheet does not tell the whole story.

Gordon would be a nice guy to bring in off the bench as second or third guy though similar to how the Spurs have used Patty Mills the last couple of years, yes I know they are two different players that play different positions too by the way.

He needs to be benched and if he can't accept that role then look to shop him around for a younger, bigger, athletic guard who maybe is looking to get a chance on a squad that will give him minutes.

I agree, but its not that easy just to ship him off and find a younger, bigger, and athletic guard. I also don't think he is useless. He knows this is a contract season, so I expect him to get better.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate our guards.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options

? like this is why you make some of the most disingenuous arguments, what the ? Omer Asik playing center has to do with AD's ability to face up centers on the low block on offense? And I wish you summarize all of your ? instead of writing 1 page essays, nobody feel like reading through all that ? .
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    Nate Robinson has just been released after 2 games, but the company statement man thinks we should be able to effectively run pick and roll with any Joe Blow off the NBA free agent list and waiver wire.
  • silverfoxx
    Options
    Nate Robinson has just been released after 2 games, but the company statement man thinks we should be able to effectively run pick and roll with any Joe Blow off the NBA free agent list and waiver wire.

Toney Douglas is being brought back. Good ? . He played well here last year.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »

I bet it was Gentry who wanted Nate in the first place, I'm already not feeling this dudes decisions, especially the decision on how AD should score the basketball. Muthafucka trynna make AD become Draymond Green and ? ? up the whole process. The ? kind of backwards ass ? is that?
  • silverfoxx
    Options

I bet it was Gentry who wanted Nate in the first place, I'm already not feeling this dudes decisions, especially the decision on how AD should score the basketball. Muthafucka trynna make AD become Draymond Green and ? ? up the whole process. The ? kind of backwards ass ? is that?

Lol u gotta wait the Storm brother. I'm sure they all will figure each other out. If by game 15 and we still playing like ? juice then I'll began getting worried. But right now I'm staying calm.
  • ZydecoShawty
    Options

Lol u gotta wait the Storm brother. I'm sure they all will figure each other out. If by game 15 and we still playing like ? juice then I'll began getting worried. But right now I'm staying calm.

Making a post player who took efficient shots his first 3 years in the league and is the best finisher at rim for us to all of a sudden become a primary option 3 pt shooter to the space floor and create driving lanes for the likes of Eric Gordon, Jrue Holiday, Ish Smith and formerly Nate Robinson is ? ass backwards stupid coaching and doesn't benefit this team in anyway.
  • silverfoxx
    Options

Making a post player who took efficient shots his first 3 years in the league and is the best finisher at rim for us to all of a sudden become a primary option 3 pt shooter to the space floor and create driving lanes for the likes of Eric Gordon, Jrue Holiday, Ish Smith and formerly Nate Robinson is ? ass backwards stupid coaching and doesn't benefit this team in anyway.

Let me ask you this... If everyone started the season healthy you think Gentry makes the same gameplan for AD?

Like I said I won't jump to conclusions until I see a healthy roster and enough for us to get adjusted to the defensive sets.

• ZydecoShawty
    Options
    Bruh, don't ask me ? ? like that.
  • AP21
    Options

? like this is why you make some of the most disingenuous arguments, what the ? Omer Asik playing center has to do with AD's ability to face up centers on the low block on offense? And I wish you summarize all of your ? instead of writing 1 page essays, nobody feel like reading through all that ? .

Pretty sure you not even reading my posts at this point or you not watching the same games as everyone else.

If Anthony Davis is in, playing the center position, with no other big men on the floor, who do you think is more likely to guard him on defense? Could it possibly be the other teams center?

When Ad is on the block, he is being forced off the block, therfore, he can't establish position which is the point of not letting him get the ball where he feels like it. Asik on the floor helps AD play power forward. But all that aside, could it just be that the first two teams had a gameplan to stop AD because the roster is so depleted?

You not giving the other teams credit and it makes you come off like a homer.

And I don't apologize for not writing like some kid on Twitter or Instagram. If my thoughts are too much for you to read then put me on ignore. I won't take it personal.

• AP21
    Options

This is not happening lol

Why you exaggerating so much
  • ZydecoShawty
    edited October 2015
    Options

Pretty sure you not even reading my posts at this point or you not watching the same games as everyone else.

If Anthony Davis is in, playing the center position, with no other big men on the floor, who do you think is more likely to guard him on defense? Could it possibly be the other teams center?

When Ad is on the block, he is being forced off the block, therfore, he can't establish position which is the point of not letting him get the ball where he feels like it. Asik on the floor helps AD play power forward. But all that aside, could it just be that the first two teams had a gameplan to stop AD because the roster is so depleted?

You not giving the other teams credit and it makes you come off like a homer.

And I don't apologize for not writing like some kid on Twitter or Instagram. If my thoughts are too much for you to read then put me on ignore. I won't take it personal.

So in the 4 years AD has been in the NBA you telling us you never once saw AD successfully face a center up on the low block (Do you even know the difference between facing up and back to the basket on the low block is to begin with)? And you do you honestly believe that Omer Asik presence alone helps clear the paint for AD, seriously? Just off the top of ? like this alone, if I ignore you, it won't have a damn thing to do with your posts being too damn long, trust me.
  • AP21
    Options
    You still stuck in the 90's brah

Positions have evolved

He ain't a one trick pony

At this point fam, let's just agree to disagree
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol ? in here goin at it...

tumblr_me0bdxNXb01ryoms3o1_400.gif

• ZydecoShawty
    edited October 2015
    Options
    When the hell has 4's facing up on the low block become a 90's era phenomenon? I agree, we really need to end this discussion after this. Saying Omer Asik is a vital piece to our floor spacing on offense has already gon to far.