SC pig flips over & then slams a young black girl in class for being "verbally disruptive"...

Options

Comments

• rebootx1
    rebootx1 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate the fact that people will flat out say it's the officers fought especially if u r black here's why, people we know there's racism in America , u guys r just giving blacks a platform to commit crimes and be excused, Mike brown had just committed a crime before he was killed this girl committed a crime before she was slammed, how minor or severe it was and how much for is used can't be measured equally at that given point, I can't rob a bank run out and police ? me then someone say he just strong arm robbed that bank but they didn't have to ? him. People once u commit a crime u open yourself up to so much other stuff
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

She brought out her cellphone. Some petty ? ...

That ain't really petty. It's mad disrespectful to do that ? in class, but it didn't require all of this in response though.

its 2015, those kids are going to check their text messages, check Facebook, twitter, instagram & record a pig playing Stone Cold Steve Austin in the classroom. It's not the 90's. Folk checked their pager constantly when we were in school. Nobody died

yeah, not sure how old you were in the 90's, but having a pager in the classroom and checking it was grounds to have it confiscated and possibly get you detention or suspended. ? , I had to talk my way out of a 3 day suspension just for having a pager in my possession back in '89.

That policy was also rooted in stereotypical, racist thought.

It was believed every Black\Brown student with a pager was a drug dealer.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

She brought out her cellphone. Some petty ? ...

That ain't really petty. It's mad disrespectful to do that ? in class, but it didn't require all of this in response though.

its 2015, those kids are going to check their text messages, check Facebook, twitter, instagram & record a pig playing Stone Cold Steve Austin in the classroom. It's not the 90's. Folk checked their pager constantly when we were in school. Nobody died

yeah, not sure how old you were in the 90's, but having a pager in the classroom and checking it was grounds to have it confiscated and possibly get you detention or suspended. ? , I had to talk my way out of a 3 day suspension just for having a pager in my possession back in '89.

That policy was also rooted in stereotypical, racist thought.

It was believed every Black\Brown student with a pager was a drug dealer.

In the 80's, yes, it was. In the 90's however, with the saturation of pagers in society this was no longer the case. They were seen strictly as a distraction by faculty. Anything that's a distraction to the classroom or even just the individual student is dealt with in the same manner: If it's seen, it's likely to be confiscated. If it happens more than once it will be confiscated and the student will face punishment.

This goes for pagers, phones, handheld games, PDA's (when they were hot), and UMPC's.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rebootx1 wrote: »
    I hate the fact that people will flat out say it's the officers fought especially if u r black here's why, people we know there's racism in America , u guys r just giving blacks a platform to commit crimes and be excused, Mike brown had just committed a crime before he was killed this girl committed a crime before she was slammed, how minor or severe it was and how much for is used can't be measured equally at that given point, I can't rob a bank run out and police ? me then someone say he just strong arm robbed that bank but they didn't have to ? him. People once u commit a crime u open yourself up to so much other stuff

didn-t-read-lol-o.gif
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    D0wn wrote: »
    a.mann wrote: »
    Whether they know it or not
    those defending and justifying the actions of cop those enable a Police State

384_quote_police_state_system_malcolm_over.gif

Its as if he spoke this yesterday....

Which is ? pathetic cause, a ? will fix his face, to brag about the progress we've made...
    Some progress

This what these dumb ? call and think progress is

tumblr_m0yaaecaon1rovmado1_500.gif
    9e5657d815e52fa4a881a38446436f76.480x259x17.gif
    3923995_o.gif

"But but.. u jest need 2 stawp hayting"
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Y'all over estimate the bravery of most teenagers...
    Yeah they can be unruly, but a stern voice brings most of them to tears.
    This don't open the door for anything.
    Like someone else said, this ain't Eastside High

BTW, its funny that the least trained (cop's) and most underpaid (cop's and teacher's) are in charge of our children. Then people wonder why kids are treated like ? .

That's no coincidence

Ubuntu1 wrote: »
    Wow

That ? is sickening

The cradle to prison to pipeline on full display

Hope it helps to shine a light on how girls of color, and especially black girls, are subject to discipline that is harsher and more frequent than that of their white peers

Black girls are six times more likely to be suspended than white girls. The racial disparities in punishment are greater for girls than for boys

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/02/13/384005652/study-black-girls-are-being-pushed-out-of-school

I was going to agree with u until I saw that ? at the bolded

man I swear u just refuse to be a teamplayer :(

Bruh

I'm the ultimate team player...I'm black before anything

Just stating facts

Not like it's not relevant to the discussion

And I sincerely hope these incidents garners more attention to the issues facing blk girls which are rarely if ever discussed at length or at great depth

You are out of your mind if you think that girls are generally disciplined more harshly than boys.

As messed up and completely unnecessary as this was I don't think it can be taken as evidence for widespread racial discrimination, in isolation. I'm not necessarily denying that black youth are, on average, disciplined more harshly, but I don't think this video alone, in isolation, helps to show that. I don't think anything in this video gives us a reason to believe that this specific officer is acting on a racial bias.

I know someone could say something like that video after video after video but incidents of whites being unjustly abused by the police tend to grab less attention, arguably. Either way, police brutality is a problem.

What? Lol

Never said girls were disciplined more harshly than boys

I said blk girls tend to face harsher penalties than their white peers

Peer

1 :one that is of equal standing with another :equal; especially :one belonging to the same societal group especially based on age, grade, or status

In this instance "peers" is in reference to other girls, i.e. white girls

If you read the article I quoted in that post that should of been clear...but since I'm who I am u and others jumped to your own conclusions and ran with it

Ultimately my point being the unique challenges that face blk girls are largely ignored in conversation and reform efforts...hope this helps to bring attention to how white girls are treated so much differently than black girls by our schools

As for what happened to the girl in the video, it's subjective

So sure the video isn't proof of there being widespread racial discrimination.... but it doesn't need to. We have actual data and studies that prove that black youth are, on average, disciplined more harshly

And I think any suspicions of the officer being racial biased are all but confirmed considering he has a history of treating blk and white students differently...at least according to students who attended the high school and lawsuits filed against the officer
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate the fact that people will flat out say it's the officers fought especially if u r black here's why, people we know there's racism in America , u guys r just giving blacks a platform to commit crimes and be excused, Mike brown had just committed a crime before he was killed this girl committed a crime before she was slammed, how minor or severe it was and how much for is usebd can't be measured equally at that given point, I can't rob a bank run out and police ? me then someone say he just strong arm robbed that bank but they didn't have to ? him. People once u commit a crime u open yourself up to so much other stuff

In my mind, the question is : was this level of force necessary, did it have to be carried out? Was she a threat to other people? The crime has to be worse than the punishment. You don't just shoot someone in the head because they stole something.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kai wrote: »
    my mother is a highschool teacher and i showed her that ? , she was beyond appalled. first thing she said was "that teacher needs to be fired too." if this ? happened in canada, ? , every adult at that school would be reassigned with that teacher and principal getting fired, criminal charges for the cop, the school to be investigated by the board just to start. we don't just let cops abuse the ? out of children in most rational developed countries. hell, the cops aren't allowed to be on school property like that. now imagine how much of a side eye you americans that are defending this ? get from us.

she is a child, point, blank, period, there is nothing to be said after that, no ifs ands or buts. america is ? insane i swear

So is this lil' muhfucker....you want to defend him, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewvC75TgT_0
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    my mother is a highschool teacher and i showed her that ? , she was beyond appalled. first thing she said was "that teacher needs to be fired too." if this ? happened in canada, ? , every adult at that school would be reassigned with that teacher and principal getting fired, criminal charges for the cop, the school to be investigated by the board just to start. we don't just let cops abuse the ? out of children in most rational developed countries. hell, the cops aren't allowed to be on school property like that. now imagine how much of a side eye you americans that are defending this ? get from us.

she is a child, point, blank, period, there is nothing to be said after that, no ifs ands or buts. america is ? insane i swear

Nope. He can defend himself just fine.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Apple's and oranges bruh.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    In high school, as class was starting, two females boxed it out, legit good fight. The teacher never even called security. He got between them, got his face punched a few times and broke it up. Told them to sit down and then he would call security. They both left. He called security and they were taken to the office, without getting body slammed.

The teacher cleaned his ? nose and started class.

We applauded him.

This female didn't want to leave.. got body slammed.

Stop trying to seriously rationalize this ? . There's levels to everything. This wasn't one that required a cop.

I see what you're getting at, but you're missing two things. One, there is a reason, why ? goes the way it does now. Schools have made these policies to protect themselves from lawsuits. From the school's standpoint, they rather the cop handle the situation because when something goes wrong he has to take the blame not the school. Two, in your example, the students left. Regardless of whether they fought or not, they removed themselves as a distraction. The problem in this case was that the student was specifically choosing to continue to be a distraction.

We can all agree that this cop was a ? and in the wrong, but I don't think it's fair to say that schools resorting to this kind of thing is wrong. Teachers have been sued for doing the same thing you noted in your first post because the student claimed the teacher caused them injury during the break.
    walk into any predominately white college classroom right now and u will see many kids with phones out in the open.
    u don't tell the kid to leave or make a scene. u give them a 0. the end.

You can't compare high school to college. There is a lot of stuff that can be done in college that can't be done in high school. Students pay for college. Students are required to be in high school.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-video" data-allowfullscreen="1" data-href="/mediatakeout/videos/vb.731743396857610/1131266663571946/?type=3"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="https://www.facebook.com/mediatakeout/videos/1131266663571946/"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/mediatakeout/videos/1131266663571946/"></a><p>High School Kid BODYSLAMS School Security Guard . . . Then Gives Him . . . The GROUND AND POUND!!! (Wow . . . Kids Are Really OUT OF CONTROL These Days)</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/mediatakeout/">Mediatakeout</a&gt; on Sunday, October 25, 2015</blockquote></div></div>

@Mister B.

That obviously cannot be justified. I don't think anyone would argue that it can. However, we have details about the incident that transpired with this young lady, according to students who witnessed it. We have the facts surrounding that particular case. We have a video of what went down and the extreme you posted is not comparable. She was not violent. She was not disruptive. She was sitting in her chair. At most, she was defiant. She’s FOURTEEN YEARS OLD. Her mother and grandmother JUST DIED. She has NO FAMILY LEFT. She’s in FOSTER CARE

When it is all said and done, she IS just a kid. She is an example of a teen girl facing hormones and trying to understand the world around her (especially facing adversity as this child doesn't have parents to teach "respect" and "compliance" that you've been alluding to). As adults, it is our job to understand these adversities and to utilize the right protocol in handling situations. When you shift the responsibility of the officer who did not use appropriate force to what the teenager should have been doing in the first place, that becomes lost.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »

Nope. He can defend himself just fine.

You done made me spit out my drink.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

i highly doubt Canada is some racial utopia tho

Don't let good be the enemy of great
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so where are the child abuse/assault on a minor charges? when is the pos gonna be arrested?
  • rebootx1
    Options
    She was asked multiple times to leave then the officer asked her multiple times I'm sorry in real life u don't get begged to do something or not do something normally u don't get a warning before someone come upside your head or ? u, welcome to the real world ladies and gentlemen, and how can the level of force be measured while the incident is in progress
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    In high school, as class was starting, two females boxed it out, legit good fight. The teacher never even called security. He got between them, got his face punched a few times and broke it up. Told them to sit down and then he would call security. They both left. He called security and they were taken to the office, without getting body slammed.

The teacher cleaned his ? nose and started class.

We applauded him.

This female didn't want to leave.. got body slammed.

Stop trying to seriously rationalize this ? . There's levels to everything. This wasn't one that required a cop.

I see what you're getting at, but you're missing two things. One, there is a reason, why ? goes the way it does now. Schools have made these policies to protect themselves from lawsuits. From the school's standpoint, they rather the cop handle the situation because when something goes wrong he has to take the blame not the school. Two, in your example, the students left. Regardless of whether they fought or not, they removed themselves as a distraction. The problem in this case was that the student was specifically choosing to continue to be a distraction.

We can all agree that this cop was a ? and in the wrong, but I don't think it's fair to say that schools resorting to this kind of thing is wrong. Teachers have been sued for doing the same thing you noted in your first post because the student claimed the teacher caused them injury during the break.
    walk into any predominately white college classroom right now and u will see many kids with phones out in the open.
    u don't tell the kid to leave or make a scene. u give them a 0. the end.

You can't compare high school to college. There is a lot of stuff that can be done in college that can't be done in high school. Students pay for college. Students are required to be in high school.

i feel like u know what i was getting at, but u want to ignore it in order to stick to your rhetoric.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options

Checking your phone ain't a crime.

And dylan roof killed 9 people and received not one iota of violence. Eat a ? , while crying, in confusion.

Put that on there too for extra ether and lol's.
  • rebootx1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ? and ? made ? now rule the world Hilary Clinton for 2016 ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the world where now u can do some ? and cry when u open a can of whip ass and can't close it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

i feel like u know what i was getting at, but u want to ignore it in order to stick to your rhetoric.

I thought I got what you were getting at, but maybe I didn't. It seemed to me like you were comparing what's done in college with white kids to what happens in high school. Regardless of racial makeup, the protocol for college classrooms is different. Half the people in my class now stay on phones, laptops, and tablets. It's not prohibited there.
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    the use of phones and other devices are prohibited to varying degrees. I have put it in my syllabus as have many other professors.
    the point is that, u don't have to make a ? spectacle when a student disobeys a rule.
    when I worked with junior high school kids, same deal. u break the rules, we make a note of it and tell your parents.
    again, the point is that breaking rules is not an invitation to get all indignant with children.
    ask them to leave for what? u basically inviting dumb ? .
    adults shouldn't be worried about their egos or challenging the will of children.
    i remember one chick shopping for didlos during class. the professor didn't say ? . he just failed the ? . simple ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    the use of phones and other devices are prohibited to varying degrees. I have put it in my syllabus as have many other professors.
    the point is that, u don't have to make a ? spectacle when a student disobeys a rule.
    when I worked with junior high school kids, same deal. u break the rules, we make a note of it and tell your parents.
    again, the point is that breaking rules is not an invitation to get all indignant with children.
    ask them to leave for what? u basically inviting dumb ? .
    adults shouldn't be worried about their egos or challenging the will of children.
    i remember one chick shopping for didlos during class. the professor didn't say ? . he just failed the ? . simple ? .

I get what you saying, I do, but just because some teachers let some ? slide doesn't mean another teacher is wrong for it. And just because something works in one instance doesn't mean it will in another. I can remember when I was in school and ? would basically test teachers. The moment one person got away with something everyone figured the could do it and that teacher basically lost control. I don't know what this class was like. Maybe the teacher overreacted or maybe the teacher did what was necessary to send a message to the other students. The point is the teacher isn't really the villain here. And in that interaction, the student was that was wrong period. All this other stuff is really beside the point.

• Brother_Five
    Options
    the teacher is clearly a ? .