The 2017 MLB Thread

Options

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hopefully Henry Owens and Eduardo Rodriguez can take a leap forward this year, they both have potential and showed promise last season, I don't know what to expect out of Porcello but maybe this will take some pressure off of him and he'll put together a decent season, and hopefully Ortiz can put his beef with Price to the side and help him out with some run support
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    red sox get their ace and still managed to keep all of their prospects and their pick

is it an overpay, more than likely -- especially for someone who didnt provide results when his teams really needed it but playoff baseball is playoff baseball and you gotta get there first + theyre the red sox and john henry is the owner

he can just take some of that soccer money from liverpool
  • ckfree
    Options

word

his velocity didnt drop at all which is really important

so the pitcher with little wear on his arm with 1 bad year with the white sox smh means that teams will get him at a discount now
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim bowden said grienke is gonna get around 6 years 192 and will choose either the giants or dodgers in the next 24-48 hours
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »

word

his velocity didnt drop at all which is really important

so the pitcher with little wear on his arm with 1 bad year with the white sox smh means that teams will get him at a discount now

When you posted this I thought it would be complete opposite

Smdh
  • ckfree
    Options
    damn having just read it again right now i interpreted wrong what buster was saying

of course being the most valuable commodity means more suitors smh i dont know what i was thinking

i figured with boston (price) and potentially giants (greinke) out the picture and reports saying the dodgers would go the trade route in replacing greinke (if they lost him) the cubs could swoop in on the low

it would have been perfect

samardzija was really strugling with his mechanics and pitch selection which can easily be corrected with bosio since hes already familair with him

but if hes getting 20+ mil then ? damn
  • ckfree
    Options
    i heard on the radio that the marlins tv color announcer was fired because the organization felt he was too negative
  • ckfree
    Options
    and i understand with no salary cap some teams are afforded the luxury to make a crazy signing but at some point these pitching contracts need to stop going up

at some point teams have to know that long term deals at 30 + mil arent worth it

cmon man

? it up for us po teams out here
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    damn having just read it again right now i interpreted wrong what buster was saying

of course being the most valuable commodity means more suitors smh i dont know what i was thinking

i figured with boston (price) and potentially giants (greinke) out the picture and reports saying the dodgers would go the trade route in replacing greinke (if they lost him) the cubs could swoop in on the low

it would have been perfect

samardzija was really strugling with his mechanics and pitch selection which can easily be corrected with bosio since hes already familair with him

but if hes getting 20+ mil then ? damn

It could be his agent lyin to get teams to up offers.Cuz last year James Shields reportedly had a 100-110 mil offer yet he signed for 75 mil

I'd offer shark the same contract he rejected in 2014 before he was traded,if he don't want that then go get paid elsewhere
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    We didn't tender Henderson Alvarez. Was a quality pitcher when he wasn't on the DL...oh well.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    The cards offered david price 7 years 190 then boston upped their original offer(200 mil) 27 mil to the 217

Dodged a bullet thanks to the red sox idiotic spending
  • ckfree
    Options

well, i suppose heres the castro for shields idea again

in doing so i guess you do offset some of the money owed to shields by sending the padres castro contract
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    The padres would have to give up ross or cashner too.I aint trading 25 year old starlin castro for a 34 year old pitcher straight up

But wit the price of these fa contracts and teams tryna demand ransoms for younger pitching.I'd be open to the idea
  • ckfree
    Options
    The padres would have to give up ross or cashner too.I aint trading 25 year old starlin castro for a 34 year old pitcher straight up

But wit the price of these fa contracts and teams tryna demand ransoms for younger pitching.I'd be open to the idea

so you seeing what im seeing too

price is gone
    greinke apparently is only choosing between l.a/s.f
    samardzija supposedly wants over 100M, if true -- nope

a carrasco, salazar, quintana or ross trade seems really unlikely because theyll ask for the world and then some

so you got lackey, kazmir, maybe leake as options and considering the kind of contracts being handed to SPs right now, i dont know but theo is gonna have to figure something out
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options

price is gone

a carrasco, salazar, quintana or ross trade seems really unlikely because theyll ask for the world and then some

so you got lackey, kazmir, maybe leake as options and considering the kind of contracts being handed to SPs right now, i dont know but theo is gonna have to figure something out

I read shark is still an option for the cubs like a 3-4 year deal ranging from 64-78.I think his agent was intentionally leaking that 100 mil #

Kazmir got exposed wit the astros and he can't pitch deep into games he's a 5-6 inning pitcher so I'd pass cuz the cubs already have 2 of those and leake gonna end up on the cards imo.Shark and shields can go 7-8.The problem is the cubs would probably have to give up castro and baez for shields and ross/cashner.I'd rather sign shark or leake and keep both
  • ckfree
    Options

price is gone

I read shark is still an option for the cubs like a 3-4 year deal ranging from 64-78.I think his agent was intentionally leaking that 100 mil #

Kazmir got exposed wit the astros and he can't pitch deep into games he's a 5-6 inning pitcher so I'd pass cuz the cubs already have 2 of those and leake gonna end up on the cards imo.Shark and shields can go 7-8.The problem is the cubs would probably have to give up castro and baez for shields and ross/cashner.I'd rather sign shark or leake and keep both

yeah thats what i was thinking too because if it was true he would have been signed that but the giants are the wild card because rosenthal reported that samardzija is the giants plan b and if the reports are true that the dodgers are said to be offering greinke 35 mil for like 6 then i can see the giants saying nope and throwing 100 mil at samardzija

i wouldnt be a big fan of shields for the simple fact that the cubs failed to meet his asking price last year so now theyre suppose to assume the entire contract they had no interest in before along with giving up a castro and or baez -- nah thats backwards as ? -- either its a salary dump or its nothing if im theo

theo might just be better off waiting to see if the trade demands come down because you know theyre telling him right now how so and so is a wanted commoditiy and that they dont really have to sell him so if he wants said player hes gonna have to overpay -- which is true -- but if these teams like the indians and braves want to keep losing half of their games scoring 1 run or 2 runs then thats what it'll be

those two organizations dont have money like that theyre looking for cost controllable bats just as much as the cubs are looking for cost controllable pitching but they just fronting right now
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited December 2015
    Options

price is gone

yeah thats what i was thinking too because if it was true he would have been signed that but the giants are the wild card because rosenthal reported that samardzija is the giants plan b and if the reports are true that the dodgers are said to be offering greinke 35 mil for like 6 then i can see the giants saying nope and throwing 100 mil at samardzija

i wouldnt be a big fan of shields for the simple fact that the cubs failed to meet his asking price last year so now theyre suppose to assume the entire contract they had no interest in before along with giving up a castro and or baez -- nah thats backwards as ? -- either its a salary dump or its nothing if im theo

theo might just be better off waiting to see if the trade demands come down because you know theyre telling him right now how so and so is a wanted commoditiy and that they dont really have to sell him so if he wants said player hes gonna have to overpay -- which is true -- but if these teams like the indians and braves want to keep losing half of their games scoring 1 run or 2 runs then thats what it'll be

those two organizations dont have money like that theyre looking for cost controllable bats just as much as the cubs are looking for cost controllable pitching but they just fronting right now

Exactly.The indians have carrasco(cheap contract) salazar won't be eligible for arbitration for 2 years.They can demand a ransom but it don't mean they'll get it.Just wait it out and the indians need a bat/outfielder it depends how much theo values soler when it comes to a potential cleveland trade.I know soler be taking those weird scenic routes to fly ? and is injury prone but duke was the best and most consistent hitter in the playoffs and he's signed until 2021 he has the most value of any of the cubs young players right now outside bryant

Crasnick said the braves most likely keeping miller and he made a good point about the braves needing a cf they already have 2 corner of's so they might not be a fit

Edit right after I posted this I read the indians are interested in pedro alverez and chris carter.Both were non tendered so there's their DH answer they technically don't need soler all they needed was a bat/offense they can sign a of on a 1 year deal to fill in until brantley is ready
  • Tommy bilfiger
    edited December 2015
    Options

Good luck with that.Padres basically saying take a 34 year old pitcher with 65 mil left on his contract and give us a young ss + in return FOH
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    It's looking like jeff samardijza about to get paid and get priced out the cubs range smdh and jon lackey is the fallback option

And javier baez is gonna play center field in winter ball
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options

Way too much dough annually imo but whatever

You negrodamus
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options

You negrodamus

Lol nah it was a report saying the cubs and lackey were getting close to a deal then they agreed like an hour or 2 later

I'm intrigued about baez at cf if he can play that position(he said he came up a cf) then the Cubs can keep the whole core
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Options
    D backs signed grienke
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options

You negrodamus

Lol nah it was a report saying the cubs and lackey were getting close to a deal then they agreed like an hour or 2 later

I'm intrigued about baez at cf if he can play that position(he said he came up a cf) then the Cubs can keep the whole core

Lastbweek you said we might get lackey lol