Cam Newton for MVP? The madness has to stop...

Options

Comments

804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    804 wrote: »
    There's a lot of straw man arguments in here. I didn't say Cam was playing bad. I said he doesn't deserve MVP. Saying he's good isn't saying anything, because I didn't say he wasn't. Tell me why he deserves it over Brady and AP. Possibly darke horse Carson Palmer (I doubt he really has a chance though). That's what's being discussed.

I've given you several reasons as to why he deserves it over Brady. You keep acting like they're not valid. You're bringing up me calling you a hater, but you won't mention the rest of my argument. And you keep saying the same thing. Pass yards, completion percentage, and qb rating aren't the only stats the NFL keeps. You're not here to debate, because you have no argument.

You said silly stuff. Brady is playing for the defending champions...and? And Brady had plenty of talent around him. Who? Dobson, Lafell, Edelman, and Amendola? Or his OL that are on IR? Or his bad running game (which has Lewis on IR)? He has Gronk. And you call me a hater, but you're taking credit away from Brady for MVP because of who his coach is?! THAT'S hater talk.

I'm giving you the context of the situation. First and foremost, Edelman is a baller and far from anybody to be dismissed away as not being an impact player for Brady and the Pats O. Nobody was calling the o-line a problem before the giants game, now all of a sudden it's trash. They can run the ball. You can keep cherry picking stats and from my posts if you want to, it doesn't make your argument anymore valid.
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Stewart is averaging less then 4 yards a carry and second in carries behind AP

Stewart is very average

Nobody in the NFL had rush for more 1st downs then Cam

Any back that average less then 4 yards is not good. He's only averaging .3 more yards a carry then Trent Richardson

The Patriots are averaging 3.8 ypc. So Tom has SLIGHTLY less run help.

I don't think that's true. Adrian Peterson (another person I called worthy of wining) leads the league in runs for a first down I think.

So neither of those points works for Cam outdoing them.

As far as this goes, Cam's first down percentage on runs is higher than AP's by 14 points. So 1 less rushing touchdown than AP, plus 20 more passing touchdowns than AP, but he deserves more consideration than Cam in your eyes. If you insist this isn't coming from a Sun concious hate of a division, I'll take your word for it, but let me ask you this, how many Panthers games have you seen this year?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brady got talent around him gronk amendola edleman Lewis that got hurt Blount add in the great system. Can has Olsen Stewart rookies. Ginn lol and his number 1 got his acl tore in the preseason. Cam is having a mvp season period
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Every time a black qb do well and is in the mvp hunt salt come. From mcnair having to share his mvp to cams accomplishments being minimized. U take him from Carolina they are the jets. A defensive team who can't score.

I said AP would be worthy of the award. His blackness doesn't count because he's a RB? The Jets are 6-5. Not a ? team. How do you think Vikings do without Peterson, or Pats without Brady?

08, Matt Cassel led the Patriots to 11-5 record.

Today he is a backup QB...
    You saw what he did this year

I'm going to go or on a limb and say they have a pretty good coach and system, bruh.

Brady is a Hall of Famer, but let's not act like the Pats are bums without him.

The Patriots were 16-0 the year before. That team was stacked when Cassell came in.

But this year? Bruh, you know damn well that's a mediocre team if he's out the game.

Agreed. Clearly Brady is better than Cassell ... Clearly.
    The bolded is what I was getting at...

Is this Panthers roster better than that Patriots roster???

What if the Panthers go 16-0 ...

But... But Cam doesent deserve MVP...

Why?

Well, you know... Because...

I hear you about the record. But look up the other MVP's season numbers when they won. The defense is the most valuable part of the team, so how can I call Cam the most valuable player? If Luke didn't miss time they'd have 2 legit DPOY candidates.

These things make it tough for me to call Cam (or any QB in this situation) MVP.

1. It's a defensive team
    2. It's a run first offense
    3. The passing game is the weakest part of the team.

Do all 3 (if any) of those describe the other recent MVP QB's?
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    There's a lot of straw man arguments in here. I didn't say Cam was playing bad. I said he doesn't deserve MVP. Saying he's good isn't saying anything, because I didn't say he wasn't. Tell me why he deserves it over Brady and AP. Possibly darke horse Carson Palmer (I doubt he really has a chance though). That's what's being discussed.

I've given you several reasons as to why he deserves it over Brady. You keep acting like they're not valid. You're bringing up me calling you a hater, but you won't mention the rest of my argument. And you keep saying the same thing. Pass yards, completion percentage, and qb rating aren't the only stats the NFL keeps. You're not here to debate, because you have no argument.

You said silly stuff. Brady is playing for the defending champions...and? And Brady had plenty of talent around him. Who? Dobson, Lafell, Edelman, and Amendola? Or his OL that are on IR? Or his bad running game (which has Lewis on IR)? He has Gronk. And you call me a hater, but you're taking credit away from Brady for MVP because of who his coach is?! THAT'S hater talk.

I'm giving you the context of the situation. First and foremost, Edelman is a baller and far from anybody to be dismissed away as not being an impact player for Brady and the Pats O. Nobody was calling the o-line a problem before the giants game, now all of a sudden it's trash. They can run the ball. You can keep cherry picking stats and from my posts if you want to, it doesn't make your argument anymore valid.

Stewart is very average

Any back that average less then 4 yards is not good. He's only averaging .3 more yards a carry then Trent Richardson

I don't think that's true. Adrian Peterson (another person I called worthy of wining) leads the league in runs for a first down I think.

As far as this goes, Cam's first down percentage on runs is higher than AP's by 14 points. So 1 less rushing touchdown than AP, plus 20 more passing touchdowns than AP, but he deserves more consideration than Cam in your eyes. If you insist this isn't coming from a Sun concious hate of a division, I'll take your word for it, but let me ask you this, how many Panthers games have you seen this year?

Why would a RB get a first down on a higher percent of his carries than a mobile QB? That doesn't happen. The Vikings have nothing without AP. AP has the advantage in category 2 (how important you are to your team) if that's how you judge your MVP. Some people just go by offensive performance. And counting his passing yards vs AP sounds as pointless as comparing their receiving yards. I've probably watched 4 or 5 of their games.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do agree people are goin a lil too far

The real reason for the kudos should be bc Ted Ginn is their leading wide receiver. Ted damn Ginn. He's ballin with scrubs

But yes, people are goin too far saying he should WIN the award. Not vs Brady. He should be 2nd, but beat Brady when Brady is essentially winning with the same lack of recievers but putting up superior numbers? Hell no
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    Brady got talent around him gronk amendola edleman Lewis that got hurt Blount add in the great system. Can has Olsen Stewart rookies. Ginn lol and his number 1 got his acl tore in the preseason. Cam is having a mvp season period

What?! Y'all are lying you're assess off in here gassing up these players. And Dion Lewis was a journeyman RB who played less than half the season before hitting IR. But ya count him as a big offensive talent. Blount broke 100 yards once this year too, so ya count him too.

Don't gas these dudes up just to discredit Brady.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since Edleman went out the Pats ain't been killing.

Options

Stewart is very average

Why would a RB get a first down on a higher percent of his carries than a mobile QB? That doesn't happen. The Vikings have nothing without AP. AP has the advantage in category 2 (how important you are to your team) if that's how you judge your MVP. Some people just go by offensive performance. And counting his passing yards vs AP sounds as pointless as comparing their receiving yards. I've probably watched 4 or 5 of their games.

Who compared passing yards, I'm talking about touchdowns, you know, the main objective of an offense, and Cam Newton has accounted for 19 more than AP. 19 more times Cam Newton has proven himself more valuable than Adrian Peterson.

As far as Brady goes, he is deserving, and if he wins I wouldn't be mad at all, but Cam is deserving as well. You can't hold our defense against Cam, if you're not gonna hold Brady's weapons against Brady. They only recently have dealt with injuries at the skill positions, and we still have to see how the Pats offense looks without Gronk, Edelman, and Lewis. The most popular narrative, is that Brady will put up numbers and will his team to victory no matter who's out there, well now that's gonna be put to the test. That's why I said before, there are five games left, and they give out the MVP after all 16 have been played. There's plenty of time for both guys to shine or implode.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What?! Y'all are lying you're assess off in here gassing up these players. And Dion Lewis was a journeyman RB who played less than half the season before hitting IR. But ya count him as a big offensive talent. Blount broke 100 yards once this year too, so ya count him too.

It's about roles.Lewis filled the vereen role amendola and Edelman filleen the Weller slot role. They are talented for that system
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    Since Edleman went out the Pats ain't been killing.

They lost like 3 receivers close in time I think, so he was part of it, but not all of it.
  • bow to royalty
    Options

Stewart is very average

Who compared passing yards, I'm talking about touchdowns, you know, the main objective of an offense, and Cam Newton has accounted for 19 more than AP. 19 more times Cam Newton has proven himself more valuable than Adrian Peterson.

As far as Brady goes, he is deserving, and if he wins I wouldn't be mad at all, but Cam is deserving as well. You can't hold our defense against Cam, if you're not gonna hold Brady's weapons against Brady. They only recently have dealt with injuries at the skill positions, and we still have to see how the Pats offense looks without Gronk, Edelman, and Lewis. The most popular narrative, is that Brady will put up numbers and will his team to victory no matter who's out there, well now that's gonna be put to the test. That's why I said before, there are five games left, and they give out the MVP after all 16 have been played. There's plenty of time for both guys to shine or implode.

Any QB will have more TD's than a RB pretty much. It's the nature of the position. Just like a lot of DB's have more INT's than Watt, but they aren't better players. It's just the position.

What Brady weapons are you talking about man? Nobody had ever checked for Amendola, ya'll didn't even want Lafell, and Edelman is an undersized WR, chosen in the 7th round, that was a QB in college. That's not an impressive group of WR's. And they didn't just get hurt. Lewis has been hurt for like a month, and Lafell missed the first 5 games.

Ya there's still time left, and both players can change their resume before the season's over. So we can wait and see. But as of right now, I'm going with Brady.
  • bow to royalty
    Options

It's about roles.Lewis filled the vereen role amendola and Edelman filleen the Weller slot role. They are talented for that system

If they work out, it's the system. If they don't, Brady can't do it without good receivers. Either way, you don't have to give Brady credit. But I'm the hater...
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    This is a pretty sad thread. I dont agree with t/s completely ? on Cam, but can we plkease be honest. Yall too emotionally biased

3 pages and no one has compared THEIR actual stats?

Brady: 3,600yds, 28td, 4int, 65%, 106 rating
    Cam: 2466yds, 20td, 9int, 57%, 89rat, 427 rush yds

Thats actially even closer than i thought on the passing stats. Idlf Cam closes the margin, he should win. But if Brady finishes with a 40td, 5 int year, come the ? on people

*Unless Carolina goes 16-0. In that case, give it to Cam regardless

• ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I say it was Brady's to lose before all the injuries mounted up to his offense. Now to me it's neck and neck. Brady throws one more pick, Cam should be in the lead for the MVP.
    edited December 2015
    Options

Stewart is very average

Any QB will have more TD's than a RB pretty much. It's the nature of the position. Just like a lot of DB's have more INT's than Watt, but they aren't better players. It's just the position.

What Brady weapons are you talking about man? Nobody had ever checked for Amendola, ya'll didn't even want Lafell, and Edelman is an undersized WR, chosen in the 7th round, that was a QB in college. That's not an impressive group of WR's. And they didn't just get hurt. Lewis has been hurt for like a month, and Lafell missed the first 5 games.

Ya there's still time left, and both players can change their resume before the season's over. So we can wait and see. But as of right now, I'm going with Brady.

This is why I don't respect your opinion, let alone agree with it. Ladainian Tomlinson had 32 touchdowns when he won MVP, Shaun Alexander set the running back record for TDs in a season the previous year when he won MVP, and Barry Sanders and AP won it running for 2000 yards, while averaging 6 yards a carry. Adrian Peterson is not having an MVP worthy season in comparison, it's not even close.

The bolded about Edelman is the dumbest ? you've said so far. What does that have to do with his production? Talk about straw man arguments, ? please. Edelman outplayed Gronkowski in the Super Bowl, and he's clearly the Pats best wide out.

You think you know football, but I can assure you don't know nearly as much as you think you do.
  • bow to royalty
    Options

Stewart is very average

This is why I don't respect your opinion, let alone agree with it. Ladainian Tomlinson had 32 touchdowns when he won MVP, Shaun Alexander set the running back record for TDs in a season the previous year when he won MVP, and Barry Sanders and AP won it running for 2000 yards, while averaging 6 yards a carry. Adrian Peterson is not having an MVP worthy season in comparison, it's not even close.

The bolded about Edelman is the dumbest ? you've said so far. What does that have to do with his production? Talk about straw man arguments, ? please. Edelman outplayed Gronkowski in the Super Bowl, and he's clearly the Pats best wide out.

You think you know football, but I can assure you don't know nearly as much as you think you do.

You really want to go down the stats of previous MVP's road? With the QB completing less than 60% of his passes, and around 20th in QB rating? 20th in passing yards, and even when you add in his rushing yards, he doesn't break the top 10. I explained earlier that AP's nomination is based largely on how important you are to your team. Not as much on his numbers, even though he is the leading rusher in the league.

The point with Edelman is there's a big difference between having a talented group of WR's and being productive with the WR's you have. This conversation aside, do you HONESTLY think if Edelman had been drafted by CAR in that same 7th round, he would have had as successful of a career so far? If someone is just another dude (Edelman), then they link up with elite talent, then they'll look better than they are. You're using that to take away from Brady. I don't think most teams would be too shook if Edelman went to their division unless he went to another elite QB. Reason being, they know a lot of his production is Brady. Real ? I think teams may be more concerned about Kelvin Benjamin coming to their division, than Edelman.
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    Between offensive rushing, offensive passing, defensive rushing, and defensive passing: Offensive passing is the weakest part of the team, on either side of the ball. They have the 29th ranked pass offense in the league. Only the 9ers, Vikings, and Rams are below them...2 of those teams don't even know who their QB is.

What other MVP has this bad of a stat on their resume? Cam's having a really productive year, but one of the lowest ranked passing games, and one of the lower completion percentages in the league, and he's the Most Valuable Player in the NFL?
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You keep discounting that they're not a passing team and his receivers are not very good

Jonathan Stewart Is ok I guess

I been keeping an eye on Carolina games and everytime it's time to make something happen, Cam been coming through

"Cam, use these guys that can't start for any other team in the league sans the Bronwns and do what you can" and they're undefeated

Sometimes it's just more to it than the numbers(right or wrong)
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    You keep discounting that they're not a passing team and his receivers are not very good

Jonathan Stewart Is ok I guess

I been keeping an eye on Carolina games and everytime it's time to make something happen, Cam been coming through

"Cam, use these guys that can't start for any other team in the league sans the Bronwns and do what you can" and they're undefeated

Sometimes it's just more to it than the numbers(right or wrong)

I'm not discounting that though bruh, I've said it as a negative. The QB of a team that isn't a passing team is the Most Valuable Player in the league? The strongest part of the team is the defense. So a player that's not even a part of the team's biggest strength is the Most Valuable Player in the league? Like i said, Cam's having a good year, no doubt. But he's not the MVP.

Rodgers last year was hands down the best thing bout the Packers. Peyton's record setting TD year, he was hands down the best thing about the Broncos. AP 2000+ yard (from scrimmage) season, he was hands down the best thing bout the Vikings. Rodgers again the year before that with his 45 TD's and 6 INT's was hands down the best thing bout that Packers. The defense is the best thing bout the Panthers. That's not disrespect towards Cam, it's just the truth about the team.
  • R.D.
    Options
    They're a rushing team and he drives the rushing attack behind a team averaging the 3rd most points in league
  • bow to royalty
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    They're a rushing team and he drives the rushing attack behind a team averaging the 3rd most points in league

Cam's 39 rushing yards a game is driving the rushing attack? He does find the end zone though. No doubt about that.

Tom Brady is the QB of a passing team, and drives the passing attack for the team averaging the 2nd most points in the league. He also finds the end zone, and more than Cam so far. While coughing up the ball less. And also throwing to an unimpressive group of WR's (Like Cam is).
  • fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cam > Brady in the MVP race.

Right now.

It's simple. The award goes to the best QB on the best team these days, unless the QB is just a game manager. Cam is doing his thing.
  • bow to royalty
    Options

Right now.

It's simple. The award goes to the best QB on the best team these days, unless the QB is just a game manager. Cam is doing his thing.

I hear you, and that does look like the patten. But all those QB's had great seasons. We're talking about a QB whose weakness this year is passing. We're talking MVP not Heisman
  • R.D.
    Options

Right now.

I hear you, and that does look like the patten. But all those QB's had great seasons. We're talking about a QB whose weakness this year is passing. We're talking MVP not Heisman

Passing is not his weakness, it's the teams' if it's even a weakness and sit on that same point w/o mentioning his receiver core...you just seem like a hater

And despite this "weakness", they still put up points, still undefeated