• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Bodhi wrote: »
    Just because the majority of a population believes in a thing
    Does not make that thing true.
    Google Argumentum ad populum

I never argued for "truth" in this thread but the fact is remains that the religions Abraham of have basically taken over and they continue to spread meanwhile other religions are in retreat.

If you aren't arguing for the existence of the Abrahamic ? ,
    Then what is the point of saying something like the bolded?
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No they are not atheists are shrinking in proportion to the whole population in other words atheists increase in raw numbers it's not fast enough to keep up with the religious population. Therefore there slice of the pie is smaller

If national wealth drives secularization, the global population will cross an atheist threshold where the majority see religion as unimportant by 2041.

Averaging across the two measures of atheism, the entire world population would cross the atheist threshold by about 2038 (average of 2035 for disbelief and 2041 for religiosity). Although 2038 may seem improbably fast, this requires only a shift of approximately 1 percent per year whether in religiosity or belief in ? . Using the Human Development Index as a clock suggests an even earlier arrival for the atheist transition (1).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nigel-barber/atheism-to-defeat-religion-by-2038_b_1565108.html

Who knows what will happen 50 years from now but religion has been around for thousands of years the hope of atheists that religion will go away in 50 is highly unlikely and is wishful thinking at best. And makes little sense there are millions of Muslims and Christians alive now that will be alive by 2041
  • zzombie
    Options
    Also most of the nation's that are going atheists are mostly white once again perhaps there a genetic connection there maybe not who knows.

I'm not buying the money=atheist argument most of those nations are in western Europe and western Europe is being swamped with Muslim and muslims are out breeding the Europeans. So I'm definitely not seeing religion be reduced in importance by 2041 lol foh
  • zzombie
    Options
    Really what I am suggesting is that it is possible that human social behavior is an outgrowth of our genetics.

Of course, but if faith is influenced by our genes,
    One could argue that some ? hardwired us to know him.
    What I'm saying is that the differences in theistic philosophies
    Kind of debunks that.
    So from a theistic viewpoint,
    The form it takes would be very relevant.

I don't believe ? hardwires people to know him.That makes no sense from my religious perspective.

There is a difference between being hardwired to have a sense of the immaterial vs being hardwired to recognize a particular ?
  • Bodhi
    edited March 2016
    Options
    No they are not atheists are shrinking in proportion to the whole population in other words atheists increase in raw numbers it's not fast enough to keep up with the religious population. Therefore there slice of the pie is smaller

If national wealth drives secularization, the global population will cross an atheist threshold where the majority see religion as unimportant by 2041.

Averaging across the two measures of atheism, the entire world population would cross the atheist threshold by about 2038 (average of 2035 for disbelief and 2041 for religiosity). Although 2038 may seem improbably fast, this requires only a shift of approximately 1 percent per year whether in religiosity or belief in ? . Using the Human Development Index as a clock suggests an even earlier arrival for the atheist transition (1).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nigel-barber/atheism-to-defeat-religion-by-2038_b_1565108.html

Who knows what will happen 50 years from now but religion has been around for thousands of years the hope of atheists that religion will go away in 50 is highly unlikely and is wishful thinking at best. And makes little sense there are millions of Muslims and Christians alive now that will be alive by 2041

That piece predicted atheism would be the majority,
    Not that it would completely wipe out belief in ? (s).
  • zzombie
    Options

I never argued for "truth" in this thread but the fact is remains that the religions Abraham of have basically taken over and they continue to spread meanwhile other religions are in retreat.

It is just fact. The ? of Abraham existing or not is another discussion. Perhaps there is something within the abrahamic religions that give those who believe a survival advantage.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Really what I am suggesting is that it is possible that human social behavior is an outgrowth of our genetics.

Of course, but if faith is influenced by our genes,
    One could argue that some ? hardwired us to know him.
    What I'm saying is that the differences in theistic philosophies
    Kind of debunks that.
    So from a theistic viewpoint,
    The form it takes would be very relevant.

I don't believe ? hardwires people to know him.That makes no sense from my religious perspective.

There is a difference between being hardwired to have a sense of the immaterial vs being hardwired to recognize a particular ?

Either way, if we are indeed liable to have some type of religious faith
    Because our brains are hardwired that way,
    It seems more unlikely that these types of beliefs are false.
  • Bodhi
    Options

It is just fact. The ? of Abraham existing or not is another discussion. Perhaps there is something within the abrahamic religions that give those who believe a survival advantage.

Perhaps. Perhaps not.
    It seems like a useless fact.
    Unless you can reiterate your point in bringing it up.
  • zzombie
    Options

That piece predicted atheism would be the majority,
    Not that it would completely wipe out belief in ? (s).

I am also not buying that it is just too unlikely it's 2016 and religion still has a major influence on worldwide events, 2041 it really not that far off I don't see things changing that radically so fast
  • zzombie
    Options

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Well I brought it up because it was disputed And in any case to me at least no form of knowledge is bad or needs a point
  • Bodhi
    Options

I am also not buying that it is just too unlikely it's 2016 and religion still has a major influence on worldwide events, 2041 it really not that far off I don't see things changing that radically so fast

Consider how much we've advanced technologically
    In 25 years.
  • zzombie
    Options
    Oh and @kingblaze84 wanted to know where the ? of Abraham is today. My answer was basically all over the world with billions of followers. But I didn't say that to prove his existence
  • Bodhi
    Options

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Well I brought it up because it was disputed

Maybe I'm mistaken but..

And where is the ? of Abraham now lol
    The vast majority of the human species worships some version of the ? of Abraham but i know you consider him lazy because he won't do what you want when and how you want him to

..it seems like you're arguing for the existence of the Abrahamic ? here.
    I pointed out your fallacious argument, which has a name (argumentum ad populum)..
  • zzombie
    Options

In 25 years.

Culture advances much slower and you can't really qualify a cultural "advancement" with technology you can make things faster stronger smaller more useful. Human Culture cannot really be thought of that way
  • Bodhi
    Options
    But I didn't say that to prove his existence

Oh ok so a whole bunch of people believe in him
    But that doesn't mean he actually exists anywhere. Got it.
  • Bodhi
    Options

In 25 years.

Culture advances much slower and you can't really qualify a cultural "advancement" with technology you can make things faster stronger smaller more useful. Human Culture cannot really be thought of that way

Technology impacts and influences culture.
  • zzombie
    Options

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Maybe I'm mistaken but..

The vast majority of the human species worships some version of the ? of Abraham but i know you consider him lazy because he won't do what you want when and how you want him to

I pointed out your fallacious argument, which has a name (argumentum ad populum)..

It seems that way to you but your conclusions about my intentions are incorrect. you read what I said out of context. I said that to prove to him that the belief in that ? is still alive.

Before that I was saying that the Egyptian gods were dead. Nobody really belives in them anymore vs the billions who still pray in there own way to the ? of Abraham.
  • zzombie
    Options
    But I didn't say that to prove his existence

Oh ok so a whole bunch of people believe in him
    But that doesn't mean he actually exists anywhere. Got it.

Exactly no one can prove ?
  • zzombie
    Options

In 25 years.

Yes.... but so???? an argument can be made that technology can lead to making religion spread faster. Now we can print bibles even faster can can look up any religious text in an instant
  • zzombie
    Options
    The first virtual reality telling of bible stories will be goat
  • Bodhi
    Options

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Maybe I'm mistaken but..

It seems that way to you but your conclusions about my intentions are incorrect. you read what I said out of context. I said that to prove to him that the belief in that ? is still alive.

Before that I was saying that the Egyptian gods were dead. Nobody really belives in them anymore vs the billions who still pray in there own way to the ? of Abraham.

But..
    PILL_COSBY wrote: »
    history is just gonna repeat itself. 20 - 50 - 100 - 200 - 300 years from now something else will take over and that what you put all your faith in will become just a myth, folklore, and made up stories just like the rest. All the religions that came before had all of this faith these new religions have as well. They weren't "myths" or "folk lore" they were as real as your religion.
  • Bodhi
    Options

In 25 years.

Yes.... but so???? an argument can be made that technology can lead to making religion spread faster. Now we can print bibles even faster can can look up any religious text in an instant

Yeah and a lot of times actually reading the Bible leads people to stop believing in it's claims.
    We can print Bibles faster and we can also print scientific information faster
    Which increases the population's scientific literacy.
  • zzombie
    Options

In 25 years.

Yeah and a lot of times actually reading the Bible leads people to stop believing in it's claims.
    We can print Bibles faster and we can also print scientific information faster
    Which increases the population's scientific literacy.

Yeah reading the bible does sometimes lead people away. But this is the minority because there are millions of Christians all over the planet. Printing anything would naturally increase the literacy of that thing.lots of people who read scientific materials still believe in ?
  • zzombie
    Options

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Maybe I'm mistaken but..

But..
    history is just gonna repeat itself. 20 - 50 - 100 - 200 - 300 years from now something else will take over and that what you put all your faith in will become just a myth, folklore, and made up stories just like the rest. All the religions that came before had all of this faith these new religions have as well. They weren't "myths" or "folk lore" they were as real as your religion.

The Abrahamic religions have been around so long so sorry you are going to have to use more than cliches to prove that they will be going away
  • Bodhi
    Options

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Maybe I'm mistaken but..

But..

The Abrahamic religions have been around so long so sorry you are going to have to use more than cliches to prove that they will be going away

The reason they've been around so long is because the Abrahamic religions
    Are now world religions instead of being isolated to one particular group of people.
    What makes you think they won't fall out of favor eventually?
    As the saying goes, nothing lasts forever.