THE FACE OF JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHRISTIANS, LETS TALK ABOUT IT

Options

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    Yeah reading the bible does sometimes lead people away. But this is the minority because there are millions of Christians all over the planet. Printing anything would naturally increase the literacy of that thing.lots of people who read scientific materials still believe in ?

A lot of people believe in ? because they don't understand the scientific explanations
    For natural happenings. As scientific literacy increases, more and more people will understand
    That we are here because of natural processes, not ? 's will.
    And, as the article I cited above says, economic growth drives secularization.
    Scientific advancements have a hand in all of this.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bodhi wrote: »
    Just because the majority of a population believes in a thing
    Does not make that thing true.
    Google Argumentum ad populum

I never argued for "truth" in this thread but the fact is remains that the religions Abraham of have basically taken over and they continue to spread meanwhile other religions are in retreat.

If you aren't arguing for the existence of the Abrahamic ? ,
    Then what is the point of saying something like the bolded?

It is just fact. The ? of Abraham existing or not is another discussion. Perhaps there is something within the abrahamic religions that give those who believe a survival advantage.

Perhaps. Perhaps not.
    It seems like a useless fact.
    Unless you can reiterate your point in bringing it up.

Well I brought it up because it was disputed

Maybe I'm mistaken but..

And where is the ? of Abraham now lol
    The vast majority of the human species worships some version of the ? of Abraham but i know you consider him lazy because he won't do what you want when and how you want him to

..it seems like you're arguing for the existence of the Abrahamic ? here.
    I pointed out your fallacious argument, which has a name (argumentum ad populum)..

It seems that way to you but your conclusions about my intentions are incorrect. you read what I said out of context. I said that to prove to him that the belief in that ? is still alive.

Before that I was saying that the Egyptian gods were dead. Nobody really belives in them anymore vs the billions who still pray in there own way to the ? of Abraham.

But..
    PILL_COSBY wrote: »
    history is just gonna repeat itself. 20 - 50 - 100 - 200 - 300 years from now something else will take over and that what you put all your faith in will become just a myth, folklore, and made up stories just like the rest. All the religions that came before had all of this faith these new religions have as well. They weren't "myths" or "folk lore" they were as real as your religion.

The Abrahamic religions have been around so long so sorry you are going to have to use more than cliches to prove that they will be going away

The reason they've been around so long is because the Abrahamic religions
    Are now world religions instead of being isolated to one particular group of people.
    What makes you think they won't fall out of favor eventually?
    As the saying goes, nothing lasts forever.

It is exactly because they are world religions that I believe they won't be going away their spread is just too vast. Many of the religions of the past were local and somewhat tied to ethnicity and that was there weakness.
  • Bodhi
    Options

I never argued for "truth" in this thread but the fact is remains that the religions Abraham of have basically taken over and they continue to spread meanwhile other religions are in retreat.

It is just fact. The ? of Abraham existing or not is another discussion. Perhaps there is something within the abrahamic religions that give those who believe a survival advantage.

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Maybe I'm mistaken but..

The vast majority of the human species worships some version of the ? of Abraham but i know you consider him lazy because he won't do what you want when and how you want him to

I pointed out your fallacious argument, which has a name (argumentum ad populum)..

It seems that way to you but your conclusions about my intentions are incorrect. you read what I said out of context. I said that to prove to him that the belief in that ? is still alive.

Before that I was saying that the Egyptian gods were dead. Nobody really belives in them anymore vs the billions who still pray in there own way to the ? of Abraham.

But..
    history is just gonna repeat itself. 20 - 50 - 100 - 200 - 300 years from now something else will take over and that what you put all your faith in will become just a myth, folklore, and made up stories just like the rest. All the religions that came before had all of this faith these new religions have as well. They weren't "myths" or "folk lore" they were as real as your religion.

The Abrahamic religions have been around so long so sorry you are going to have to use more than cliches to prove that they will be going away

Are now world religions instead of being isolated to one particular group of people.

It is exactly because they are world religions that I believe they won't be going away their spread is just too vast. Many of the religions of the past were local and somewhat tied to ethnicity and that was there weakness.

Then Abrahamic religions just got lucky.
    So that doesn't make them any better than the dead religions.

I think that the Abrahamic religions will eventually die too.
    Consider how many people actually take their religion seriously vs how many believe "because they were raised to".
  • zzombie
    Options
    Yeah reading the bible does sometimes lead people away. But this is the minority because there are millions of Christians all over the planet. Printing anything would naturally increase the literacy of that thing.lots of people who read scientific materials still believe in ?

A lot of people believe in ? because they don't understand the scientific explanations
    For natural happenings. As scientific literacy increases, more and more people will understand
    That we are here because of natural processes, not ? 's will.
    And, as the article I cited above says, economic growth drives secularization.
    Scientific advancements have a hand in all of this.

Correlation is not causation. The amount of people even in so called advanced nations that believe in religion or the supernatural is very very high. There are many many many highly educated people who believe in ?
  • zzombie
    Options

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Maybe I'm mistaken but..

But..

Then Abrahamic religions just got lucky.
    So that doesn't make them any better than the dead religions.

I think that the Abrahamic religions will eventually die too.
    Consider how many people actually take their religion seriously vs how many believe "because they were raised to".

lol haha haha Luck doesn't last for thousands of years. Take "religion seriously" is too vague what do you mean by that. I haven't been to church in a long time. Does that mean I don't take my religion seriously. I haven't prayed in a week does that mean I am not serious??? How are you going to judge this
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh and @kingblaze84 wanted to know where the ? of Abraham is today. My answer was basically all over the world with billions of followers. But I didn't say that to prove his existence

That's a little contradictory though, the ? of Abraham is still nowhere to be found on Earth. And according to the Koran, people who worship Jesus as ? are condemned to spend eternity in hell, so in some ways the Bible ? is very different then the Islamic one.

How can the same ? give such different rules on worship? Doesn't add up.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Correlation is not causation. The amount of people even in so called advanced nations that believe in religion or the supernatural is very very high. There are many many many highly educated people who believe in ?

None of these are my argument.
    I'm only stating that as a country experiences increased economic growth,
    Religious faith drops.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    lol haha haha Luck doesn't last for thousands of years.

They're lucky in the sense that they were able to become world religions.
    Many other religions didn't have the time to do that because of war and natural disasters.
    It's something like being there "at the right place and at the right time"
    Take "religion seriously" is too vague what do you mean by that. I haven't been to church in a long time. Does that mean I don't take my religion seriously. I haven't prayed in a week does that mean I am not serious??? How are you going to judge this

It means just what I said. Many people only believe in something because they were raised to.
    They don't believe because they have any deep personal conviction.
    I've asked plenty of people why they believe in what they do and they've said something like,
    "uhhh idk my parents were Christians so..."
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One can make a very serious argument that the Bible ? and the Islamic ? are different entities. The differences between the Koran and the Bible are so dramatic that they almost seem like totally different gods. How can the same ? say Jesus is ? and yet the same ? in the Koran says those who worship Jesus will enter hell?

Billy Graham, the famous Christian pastor, claims that Allah and the Bible ? are different gods, and I'm starting to think this is correct.

http://billygraham.org/decision-magazine/december-2013/do-christians-and-muslims-worship-the-same-? /

The ? of the Bible is not Allah, and Allah is not the ? of the Bible.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    One can make a very serious argument that the Bible ? and the Islamic ? are different entities.

Haha. One could make the argument that the Bible ?
    Between the different books and Testaments
    Are completely different gods.
  • zzombie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh and @kingblaze84 wanted to know where the ? of Abraham is today. My answer was basically all over the world with billions of followers. But I didn't say that to prove his existence

That's a little contradictory though, the ? of Abraham is still nowhere to be found on Earth. And according to the Koran, people who worship Jesus as ? are condemned to spend eternity in hell, so in some ways the Bible ? is very different then the Islamic one.

How can the same ? give such different rules on worship? Doesn't add up.

Christians Jew muslims all believe that they are worshipping the ? of Abraham. Jews don't worship the ? of the new testament, Christians don't worship the ? of Islam but each group believes they are worshipping the ? of Abraham. So all three are part of the Abrahamic religion because we all claim the same spiritual ancestor

Finding ? the way you want to is impossible ? is not a lost pair of socks. And from my perspective you don't "find" ? you experience him and if you don't have the spiritual senses it's going to be very hard for you.
  • zzombie
    Options
    lol haha haha Luck doesn't last for thousands of years.

They're lucky in the sense that they were able to become world religions.
    Many other religions didn't have the time to do that because of war and natural disasters.
    It's something like being there "at the right place and at the right time"
    Take "religion seriously" is too vague what do you mean by that. I haven't been to church in a long time. Does that mean I don't take my religion seriously. I haven't prayed in a week does that mean I am not serious??? How are you going to judge this

It means just what I said. Many people only believe in something because they were raised to.
    I've asked plenty of people why they believe in what they do and they've said something like,
    "uhhh idk my parents were Christians so..."

That was just your personal evolution in ideology but you are obviously in the minority. I've asked plenty of people the same question and they gave me an opposite answer.

And you haven't said anything because what you said was too vague. What does it mean to take your religion seriously???? You have not answered that
  • zzombie
    Options
    One can make a very serious argument that the Bible ? and the Islamic ? are different entities.

Haha. One could make the argument that the Bible ?
    Between the different books and Testaments
    Are completely different gods.

If me and you watch the same movie and write different reviews/summaries that doesn't mean there were two different movies.
  • zzombie
    Options
    One can make a very serious argument that the Bible ? and the Islamic ? are different entities. The differences between the Koran and the Bible are so dramatic that they almost seem like totally different gods. How can the same ? say Jesus is ? and yet the same ? in the Koran says those who worship Jesus will enter hell?

Billy Graham, the famous Christian pastor, claims that Allah and the Bible ? are different gods, and I'm starting to think this is correct.

http://billygraham.org/decision-magazine/december-2013/do-christians-and-muslims-worship-the-same-? /

The ? of the Bible is not Allah, and Allah is not the ? of the Bible.

I believe Allah is Satan/Lucifer/the serpent etc etc whatever you want to call him. But Muslim still think they are worshipping the ? of Abraham.

Also my argument to you was never that we worship the same ? it was that the abrahamic religions are dominant over humanity and will continue to be so
  • Bodhi
    Options
    That was just your personal evolution in ideology but you are obviously in the minority. I've asked plenty of people the same question and they gave me an opposite answer.

Sure.

And you haven't said anything ... What does it mean to take your religion seriously???? You have not answered that

I did.

These people usually aren't studying their religion
    And are not committed to any spiritual discipline.
    They just go to church and have their pastor spoon-feed them verses
    While living lives outside of the church very much the same if not completely identical
    As any nonreligious person. They just believe because
    They were programmed to by their parents and their society.

• zzombie
    edited March 2016
    Options

Sure.

And you haven't said anything ... What does it mean to take your religion seriously???? You have not answered that

I did.

While living lives outside of the church very much the same if not completely identical

you did not say anything the first time I asked you the answer you gave was no real answer and this one barely was so let me re-state my question to you how do you qualify taking religion serious???? how can you tell these people don't have deep personal conviction how do you know these people where programmed by society??? and I am not asking you about the people you know I am asking you about religious people in general.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    you did not say anything the first time I asked you the answer you gave was no real answer and this one barely was so let me re-state my question to you

200_s.gif
    how do you qualify taking religion serious????

how can you tell these people don't have deep personal conviction???

General observation... talking to people online and in person...
    how do you know these people where programmed by society???

Most religious belief is influenced by your geographical location; that's a fact.

• Bodhi
    Options
    Just because you don't like my responses doesn't mean I'm not answering your questions..
  • zzombie
    Options
    Just because you don't like my responses doesn't mean I'm not answering your questions..

The answer you gave me was inadequate if boils down to your personal observations.

someone living in a free society is not forced to follow any particular religion so you fail at proving the "society programs you" argument.
  • zzombie
    Options
    If millions of people spread out all over the world and in every kind of geographic location declare that they consider themselves adherents to a particular religion it is the height of arrogance to make any argument that boils down to basically saying they are brain washed.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    The answer you gave me was inadequate if boils down to your personal observations.

lol.. Like I'm going to give you someone else's observations?
    someone living in a free society is not forced to follow any particular religion so you fail at proving the "society programs you" argument.

Strawman #1 from @zzombie
    They're not forced to follow any particular religion but they are raised to do so.
    Parents influence them and society influences them.
    Many people were programmed from birth. Most religious people were raised in their faith.
    If you live in a society and participate in a culture that's majority Christian,
    Chances are you will probably be Christian. Likewise,
    If you live in a Muslim country, chances are you will be Muslim.
  • Bodhi
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If millions of people spread out all over the world and in every kind of geographic location declare that they consider themselves adherents to a particular religion it is the height of arrogance to make any argument that boils down to basically saying they are brain washed.

Yeah there are millions of Buddhists in America.
    However, if you look at the demographics of any particular State,
    Buddhists will most likely be around 0.5 to 1% of the population.
    On the other hand, Christians are usually in the 80's percentage.
    Why? Because America is majority Christian, even though
    There are millions of Buddhists all over the world.
    Alternatively, Thailand's Buddhists estimate at around 90% of the population
    and Muslims make up around the same percentage in Iraq.

So again, I'm saying that if you were born in a majority Christian nation,
    Chances are, you'll be Christian.
    The same applies for any Muslim or Buddhist population.
    But hey, that's just my observation. I guess you'll want to discredit that now.
  • zzombie
    Options

Yeah there are millions of Buddhists in America.
    However, if you look at the demographics of any particular State,
    Buddhists will most likely be around 0.5 to 1% of the population.
    On the other hand, Christians are usually in the 80's percentage.
    Why? Because America is majority Christian, even though
    There are millions of Buddhists all over the world.
    Alternatively, Thailand's Buddhists estimate at around 90% of the population
    and Muslims make up around the same percentage in Iraq.

So again, I'm saying that if you were born in a majority Christian nation,
    Chances are, you'll be Christian.
    The same applies for any Muslim or Buddhist population.
    But hey, that's just my observation. I guess you'll want to discredit that now.

Yeah one person's personal observations don't really mean ? it's just your opinion. Once again correlations is not causation just because most of the people in america may be Christians doesn't mean living in america means society brain washed you into Christianity.
  • zzombie
    Options

lol.. Like I'm going to give you someone else's observations?

Strawman #1 from @zzombie
    They're not forced to follow any particular religion but they are raised to do so.
    Parents influence them and society influences them.
    Many people were programmed from birth. Most religious people were raised in their faith.
    If you live in a society and participate in a culture that's majority Christian,
    Chances are you will probably be Christian. Likewise,
    If you live in a Muslim country, chances are you will be Muslim.

Just because you are influenced to do something when you are younger doesn't mean you continue when you become an adult. You are just making a bunch of assumptions. People convert to different religions all the time despite being raised under their parents religion
  • Bodhi
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ha. Yeah okay. Well look, it happens. People keep their parents' religions most of the time. And often it's because they don't care enough or aren't much interested to research anything else.
    You can scream and kick and cover your eyes all you want. We could ask other posters on what they've experienced and I'd safely assume their observations are similar to mine. If you have nothing else to say at this point let's just drop it. It's not as serious as it seems.