You ever have an interview and not get the job?

Options

Comments

• SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Of course. I'm a black man with a somewhat white name. I'm sure when i go in they're like

confused-travolta.gif

That's precisely my problem. My name couldn't be whiter if it was Bradley William Higgensworth VI. My interview voice is also white as hell so when I show up and they see me they're like

confusion-gif.gif?gs=a

Lol..same here
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes just happened to me last week. Got the email yesterday saying I didn't get it
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    I literally got no call backs one time until I changed the name on my resume to Paul Thomason that next morning nuggas was callin out the woodworks.
    I remember that first white lady that got me on the phone sounded excited as hell to talk to me until she asked me a few questions where I had to answer with a few sentences and she could hear the ? in my voice that her tone changed to that of disappointment and like somebody stole her puppy. Lol

The new Orleans accent is a gift and a curse. Ive been told I don't really have the accent, but only when I'm around my dad or family and friends from my city. That ? sounds mad ignorant to white folks that's not from our city bruh.
    U ain't lying I'm the same way, like for the most part at work I don't think I sound like that but other ppl have called it out every once in a while.

I'm not even just STRAIGHT N.O. like that either (I spent first half of childhood in Cali) but the N.O is in my DNA will just just come out full blown when I get excited or ? though lol
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Yes just happened to me last week. Got the email yesterday saying I didn't get it

Had another interview a few days ago didn't hear back from them yet though
  • mrtdb
    mrtdb Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had an interview for an internship and the company never called me back...as it turns out I actually had a class with someone who applied for the same internship and got the offer. Funny thing is...my grades are better than his are, my knowledge of the subject is better than his, my desire to learn is better than his (he's lowkey a ? ), and my social skills are better than his. (We're both in school for information technology, so you know how lowkey and arrogant some techies can be, I'm pretty chill and easy to get along with though. He's the type that assumes you're wrong and talks over you, even if what he's saying makes no sense)

So he's white and I'm black...which leads me to believe that either
    - I got skipped over because I'm black
    - or he talked so loud in the interview the managers assumed he knew what he was talking about (even though he struggles with the basics of networking) and gave him the job. I'm willing to bank it's the first option tho.

To be honest I saw it coming though, during the interview I felt like the questions they asked me were a bit pointed than they should be...almost as if they were TRYING to prove I couldn't perform. It got to the point where they were asking me about specific port numbers, acronyms, and a whole bunch of it stuff that had nothing to do with the internship.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interview was ok

1 question caught my off guard...some ? that work there was smiling n giving the kid that eye
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2016
    Options
    mrtdb wrote: »
    I had an interview for an internship and the company never called me back...as it turns out I actually had a class with someone who applied for the same internship and got the offer. Funny thing is...my grades are better than his are, my knowledge of the subject is better than his, my desire to learn is better than his (he's lowkey a ? ), and my social skills are better than his. (We're both in school for information technology, so you know how lowkey and arrogant some techies can be, I'm pretty chill and easy to get along with though. He's the type that assumes you're wrong and talks over you, even if what he's saying makes no sense)

So he's white and I'm black...which leads me to believe that either
    - I got skipped over because I'm black
    - or he talked so loud in the interview the managers assumed he knew what he was talking about (even though he struggles with the basics of networking) and gave him the job. I'm willing to bank it's the first option tho.

To be honest I saw it coming though, during the interview I felt like the questions they asked me were a bit pointed than they should be...almost as if they were TRYING to prove I couldn't perform. It got to the point where they were asking me about specific port numbers, acronyms, and a whole bunch of it stuff that had nothing to do with the internship.

Yea I had a network engineer interview this week, smh I was stuck. I was drawing a blank on ? that I know smh

I ? up a basic ass subnetting question and I didn't realize it till after I left
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I interviewed 10 people this week with the intention of only hiring 3 of them.

It's a part of the employment process.

Update: I flipped some of their applications and was able to hire 6 of them and maybe 1 more depending on a background check.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I interviewed 10 people this week with the intention of only hiring 3 of them.

It's a part of the employment process.

Update: I flipped some of their applications and was able to hire 6 of them and maybe 1 more depending on a background check.

U should make a thread/post about advice u can give to us
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this the ? that will dead ass make u say ? it and just quit job hunting for a while. That ? is demoralizing lol. Especially when you waste your time/gas and mf'ers can't even bother to return your call afterwards. A while back I went on 2 interviews in the same damn day, didn't hear back from either. People who interview be fake as ? too! All smiley and ? acting like everything went great lol.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    One tip for you ? . Whenever your done with your interview don't be scared to send a thank you card for the job interview or an email thanking for the interview. Little ? like goes a long way. It shows your personable and will to go the extra mile.

Man ? that

They usually like me anyway, so it's nothing
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

this the ? that will dead ass make u say ? it and just quit job hunting for a while. That ? is demoralizing lol. Especially when you waste your time/gas and mf'ers can't even bother to return your call afterwards. A while back I went on 2 interviews in the same damn day, didn't hear back from either. People who interview be fake as ? too! All smiley and ? acting like everything went great lol.

Surprised more people haven't been killed over ? like this.

I mean, it's definitely not worth throwing your life away because an interview didn't go your way but, when people are pushed to the point where they don't feel like they have anything to lose.....it wouldn't be surprising if they responded with violence.
  • Bcotton5
    Options

I'm semi optimistic about this one , but I don't think I'll get it lol
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1 time and I really wanted the job, I guess somebody else just wanted it more than me, oh well.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I was young, got a job after a good interview at QT, failed a drug test, didnt get the job

Another one, had a great interview, saw that they wanted me to sell some ? at Costco, was offered the job turned it down

Had in interview with a Tech sales agency, two interviews which usually means you got it, even had a homie who worked there, I got a degree and everything (homie doesnt), no call back, I had to call them and they sent me an email talkin bout we not compatible.

? job hunting b
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Maybe I'll repost these in that stickied thread.

1. Going into an interview, you should know the background of the company you've applied for. When it was founded, its industry, public perception of it, the kinds of jobs exist within it, its major competitors, laws and policies relative to it. Displaying that type of information lets them know that you're not only well prepared, but invested in the job opportunity and staying and growing with them. It's the first question I ask, "What do you know about our company?" If you don't know anything, my automatic perception is that you just threw in an application with no idea of who you want as an employer. Or you don't care. And if you don't care, I don't want you. The more you know going in, the better because it means job training will be easier.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    2. Bring your resume, letters of recommendation, certificates, and other licenses and acknowledgements of performance. Yes, you probably already submitted it when you applied, but to have it in your hand means you can show AND tell when being asked about your experience and abilities. Not everyone needs this, as some people naturally articulate themselves better than most. But bringing visuals helps because if I'm interviewing you, I only know your work history, not the stories behind them.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    3. This should be a ? given. SHOW UP EARLY. If you're one time, you're late. If you're early, you're on time. No excuses. If you show up late for an interview with me, I may flat out tell you I'm not interested. Also, be professionally dressed. I don't care if it's for a restaurant, warehouse, or Chucky Cheese mascot. You better have on a shirt and tie or at least a nice ironed collered shirt. No jeans. Show some respect for a place of business.