You ever have an interview and not get the job?

Options

Comments

• Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »
    So when I first got out of the military, I went to interview at a Kroger dairy plant (where they process and bottle milk, etc.) I needed a job bad and was applying everywhere (this was before I went back to school).

In doing my background for this company, and this plant in particular, I ran across a newspaper article about the HNIC (he really was a ? too) who grew up poor, went to school, and ended up in charge there after his journey. I had all my other stuff together but when they asked me "Why do you want to work here/for this company?" I knew I would get the job based on the answer I was about to give.

When they asked why I wanted to work there, I simply said because "I want to work for HNIC." I then continued on about the newspaper article I read about him and being inspired by his story because I could personally relate and how I hoped to be mentored by him one day, and if he can make it, I can make it type deal. I told them I literally applied here off the strength of that article.

This panel interview had to have at least 6 people interviewing me (it was crazy). Anyway, they literally stopped the interview (mid-interview) and went and got boss man so I could meet him. He came in like 5 minutes later, we shook hands, and they asked me again to tell him why I want to work here. I told him, but made it even more personal this time, and when he walked out of that room, I KNEW I had the job. We finished the "interview" but it was very light hearted the rest of the way. I got a call the very same day, that I had got the job. A ? was estatic.

Learning to manipulate people was one of the best things I have honestly ever learned.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 48 Law of Power talked about this.
    @Lady_Capoeira

I was always good at manipulating people growing up, but I became great at it after I read and started applying the 48 Laws of Power. You are correct.
  • Mastery
    Options
    Another thing, I have NEVER been late to an interview. I always show up at least 30 minutes prior and chill in the whip until about 15 minutes before the interview, then I go check in.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I can only think of 3 times in my life where I had an interview and didn't get the job. The first time was my first interview fresh out of college. I was interviewing for an entry level C++ programming position. I knew I wasn't getting that job because the cac's ? expression the minute he saw I was black, and then he had the nerve to ask me if I wrote my resume by myself....smh
  • Mastery
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When employers ask what your biggest weakness is I tell them that I am impatient, because I always want everything to be done at once, or I may voice frustration with others who may not perform at the standard I expect of myself.

The kicker here is I really am impatient haha

But it can be positively spinned by stating something to the effect of "I am results oriented and find that I must be more patient with those who are not, as I recognize people have different levels of productivity."

I tend to be honest as ? when it comes to my weaknesses, but I usually focus on a weakness that can be fixed.

I read that being impatient often goes hand in hand with high performance. So that was usually the "biggest" weakness of mine I chose to go with.
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Of course. I'm a black man with a somewhat white name. I'm sure when i go in they're like

confused-travolta.gif

I think my name is considered white and have had the same reaction.

It's not, it's a biblical name and they stole it and made it white.

Yeah, thats my excuse too...lol
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got my job with no real interview post

u want a cookie ? ??
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    I have interview tommorow...vibe i got was real full?d=1458881706 at the end

Reminds me of time i had a interview at target when i was 19...n some fat cac ? had a huge grease stain on her shirt i kept lookn at it and didnt get the job
    LOL target has turned so many people down. I remember one just opened and they said they were looking for young folks. I went up there with 7 people. 4 girls and 3 dudes. First thing me and the two other dudes noticed when we stepped in there. Was that mostly fine ass females worked in there. We was like "damn!! we got to work here". We all met up with the manager who was gonna give us the interview. He was cool as ? so we thinking we are definitely gonna get this job. My interview went cool but he was asking all kinds of deep ass unnecessary complex questions. Like ? that would seem stupid and a little overboard to be asking an almost 18 year old kid.

Long story short, he said he was gonna call me back to let me know if I got the job or not. Never called me back. Even acted like he wasn't there when I called and never came out when I showed up to the place lol(even though people said he was there). Turns out that the two other guys I came up there with interviews went the same as mine. They didn't get the job and he was ducking them too. The 4 females interviews went completely different from ours. They said he didn't even ask half the questions he asked us. They all got hired except for one, she wasn't all that attractive. I think you can pretty much figure out what happened here lol!!!!! Manager was a huge creep.

Bottom line is, the hiring process is not what it should be. For the most part it's all on your interviewers choice.

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another thing, I have NEVER been late to an interview. I always show up at least 30 minutes prior and chill in the whip until about 15 minutes before the interview, then I go check in.

yea I always do this but ? just went wrong that day from the jump, it was for a job I really wanted too smh
  • Mastery
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Man I just got a call back from a job I really want. She said I'll be getting interviewed by 3 different people at the same time. I hate those types of interviews. ? stressful bruh

I love panel interviews bruh. I look forward to them ? . To me, I just get to impress more than 1 person at a time. ? 'em all in one fell swoop yo.

Another thing I've done in the past (including the job I have now) is stand up during my panel interviews. Sitting down for a panel interview is way to formal for me, I like to be relaxed. I was told that in the 10+ years this Corporate Employee Program has been running, I'm the only person who has ever stood up. Had them eating out of the palm of my hands bruh.

I'm too scared to try this but I just might do this at my next interview this coming Friday.
    @Lady_Capoeira

You gotta be super confident to pull it off. They can read your body language. Also, make sure you ask if they are ok with you standing right before the interview starts.

It'd be mad weird if you just standing up when they expect you to sit down.

Standing sends a message of self-assuredness—but it also makes you appear taller, which around the world is seen as a sign of smarts, confidence and credibility. You should appear open and approachable, which means your hands should be at your sides (not stiff, but where your arms fall naturally) and ready to gesture naturally.
  • Mastery
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Standing may feel weird at first, but if you can pull it off and be comfortable, it's also a great way to stand out from the field of competitors. When I got my offer from the FDIC, they told me that I was the first person in the 10 years this Corporate Employee Program has been running that has stood up during the interview portion.

Cold part is, when I told my group liaisons (they divided us up into 4 different groups) that I was planning on standing up, they tried to talk me out of it, said it would backfire on me, no one has ever done it, etc... flat out told me don't do it.

My reaction?

q47z5pfjj2n0.gif
  • Mastery
    Options
    All I could think was that I always stand up during job interviews and ya'll not about to stop me now.
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    standing sounds awkward as ? .. not saying it wouldnt work, cause it apparently has for you.
  • Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good question to ask your interviewer when they ask if you have any questions.

"What types of problems is the company facing and how would hiring me help you solve those problems?"

You can also ask: "Can you give me some examples of how I would be collaborating with my manager/supervisor?"

I like to stand up during my interviews as well. It's just always something I've done. If I'm not buddy buddy with my interviewers by the end of the interview, I feel I won't get the job.

Bruh,

I just went to an interview today. And I used the question you wrote. Bruh the top person who interviewed me (VP of Operations USA Division) had to take a pause to answer that as if he was impressed by what I was asking. It was a great interview btw. Thanks for those tips man, this is what we need to see here more often. I'm awaiting on a response.
  • Mastery
    Options
    riddlerap wrote: »
    standing sounds awkward as ? .. not saying it wouldnt work, cause it apparently has for you.
    That's why I said it may feel weird. People are conditioned their whole life to sit during job interviews and deviating from that may not seem too appealing. I just like to think outside of the box and do/try different ? to separate myself from everyone else.

I can better articulate and better sell myself when I'm standing. I'm essentially presenting myself to the panel when I stand, versus sitting down and just answering some questions.
  • Mastery
    Options
    Ip man wrote: »

"What types of problems is the company facing and how would hiring me help you solve those problems?"

You can also ask: "Can you give me some examples of how I would be collaborating with my manager/supervisor?"

I like to stand up during my interviews as well. It's just always something I've done. If I'm not buddy buddy with my interviewers by the end of the interview, I feel I won't get the job.

Bruh,

I just went to an interview today. And I used the question you wrote. Bruh the top person who interviewed me (VP of Operations USA Division) had to take a pause to answer that as if he was impressed by what I was asking. It was a great interview btw. Thanks for those tips man, this is what we need to see here more often. I'm awaiting on a response.
    @Ip man

No problem bruh and good ? dog, you said the interview was great so hopefully it results in a job.

When I asked that question to one of the panelists of the FDIC interview, he took like 10 minutes to answer it (the other panelists were chiming in and helping him out too) which was a good sign to me. Crazy.
  • Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ip man wrote: »

Bruh,

@Ip man

No problem bruh and good ? dog, you said the interview was great so hopefully it results in a job.

When I asked that question to one of the panelists of the FDIC interview, he took like 10 minutes to answer it (the other panelists were chiming in and helping him out too) which was a good sign to me. Crazy.

Thanks man for real. Your advice is making a difference.
  • Mastery
    Options
    I got the job shout out @KillaCham
    @Bcotton5

Details?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes just happened to me last week. Got the email yesterday saying I didn't get it

Had another interview a few days ago didn't hear back from them yet though

It was this one, I got it
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can we get this merged with the how to find a new job thread

Or stickied
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man I just got a call back from a job I really want. She said I'll be getting interviewed by 3 different people at the same time. I hate those types of interviews. ? stressful bruh

I love panel interviews bruh. I look forward to them ? . To me, I just get to impress more than 1 person at a time. ? 'em all in one fell swoop yo.

Another thing I've done in the past (including the job I have now) is stand up during my panel interviews. Sitting down for a panel interview is way to formal for me, I like to be relaxed. I was told that in the 10+ years this Corporate Employee Program has been running, I'm the only person who has ever stood up. Had them eating out of the palm of my hands bruh.

I'm too scared to try this but I just might do this at my next interview this coming Friday.
    @Lady_Capoeira

You gotta be super confident to pull it off. They can read your body language. Also, make sure you ask if they are ok with you standing right before the interview starts.

Standing sends a message of self-assuredness—but it also makes you appear taller, which around the world is seen as a sign of smarts, confidence and credibility. You should appear open and approachable, which means your hands should be at your sides (not stiff, but where your arms fall naturally) and ready to gesture naturally.

LOL please don't do this.

If I'm interviewing you in my office and you just want to stand over me, I'm going to take it as you have problems following direction and using cheap fake psychological tricks to sway my opinion. Instant rejection.
  • Mastery
    edited August 2016
    Options

@Lady_Capoeira

If I'm interviewing you in my office and you just want to stand over me, I'm going to take it as you have problems following direction and using cheap fake psychological tricks to sway my opinion. Instant rejection.

Stand OVER you? You doing interviews in broom closets? Lol

Problems following direction?

I see you missed the whole point.

Like I said, it's always worked for me. I'm assuming you've never had anybody stand up and present themselves to you during an interview based on your response, so in reality, you don't know what you'd do, aside from what you think you'd do/say.

You're one of many people who conduct job interviews, and every interviewer is different.
  • Mastery
    Options
    @soul rattler

What kind of job/position do you conduct interviews for?
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Lady_Capoeira

I've interviewed a ton of people and someone standing up wouldn't bother me at all. I think it would only bother people that are insecure and fear losing their power.

Just saying.
  • Mastery
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »

@Lady_Capoeira

I've interviewed a ton of people and someone standing up wouldn't bother me at all. I think it would only bother people that are insecure and fear losing their power.

Just saying.

This ^^^^^^

He comes off as if he would take it personally, like a direct insult or something.

Which is why I asked what kind of positions he conducts interviews for cause I was thinking maybe it was the industry he is in, but in all reality, the industry shouldn't matter for the most part.
  • Mastery
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Can we get this merged with the how to find a new job thread

Or stickied

@Sion