You ever have an interview and not get the job?

Options

Comments

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2. Bring your resume, letters of recommendation, certificates, and other licenses and acknowledgements of performance. Yes, you probably already submitted it when you applied, but to have it in your hand means you can show AND tell when being asked about your experience and abilities. Not everyone needs this, as some people naturally articulate themselves better than most. But bringing visuals helps because if I'm interviewing you, I only know your work history, not the stories behind them.

Reason i gota a interview was i turned my resume(in person) n it looked

I showed up 10 mins early to it...theres no reason why i shouldnt get it...unless nxt person knocks it out the park
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    Interview was ok

1 question caught my off guard...some ? that work there was smiling n giving the kid that eye

this made me think of incident at my job. we were interviewing for a position we were having a hard time filling. i was assisting the hiring manager (wasn't my department but we work closely with them). young dude comes in and i mean he is on point with his ? . we talking technology and then switching to fantasy football and im thinking ok young boy is killing it right now. he leaves and sends the thank you email and all that ? . i walk in her office and im like yo dude was on point. the first thing she said to me was he is gonna be a problem. i said why u say that? she said too many of the girls drooling when he walked in. he didn't get the job.

good luck my dude.

Well a girl that works there made a post on FB..."anybody need a job?" I just applied n she was suprised i was there...than today it was her n 2 other females smiling when i walked in...she asked how am i?(i said fine) n was taken to office by manager(he told me during interview...so u saw ______ fb post?" I said yeah
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4. Emulate your interviewer and take their verbal and non-verbal cues. Sit similarly to them, speak as they speak, and follow their lead. And don't cut them off when they're talking. You're trying to become a part of what they're already a part of. That means you conform. At the same time, conduct yourself with poise. Even if they are less than professional, that doesn't mean you act less than professional because they might see what you're doing wrong without seeing what they're doing that's wrong.

5. Pay attention to what they're asking. Don't answer questions they don't ask unless you are 110% sure it's relevant. Otherwise, it tells alot about your comprehension and listening skills. Most interviewers will let you ramble on if youre off topic and be thinking the whole time "I have no interet in what he's saying. If he doesn't get on topic, I'm just going to cut this short and tell him I'm not interested." Also, get them to talk. Alot of interviewers love to tell you about themselves i.e. the positions they've held, their experiences, etc. I personally dont unless I see personality similarities. And if they ask you if you have any questions, ASK SOMETHING. That's your time to take control of the interview.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    700 wrote: »
    I lie on all my resumes and applications

Whatever the job is..... I got years of experience

I just make ? up

Ever since I started doing that I aint been without a job

? I've turned down jobs, tf you mean

You might be joking, but seriously don't. Good companies do background checks and call references. I damn sure will if there is the slightest thing suspect on your resume or if your story doesn't sound right.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, im black

My name looks foreign and when they see its a nignog i can just feel the regret (my username is the letters in my first name rearranged, V_____n)

And this was before the degree

Ive also been overqualified, most entry level helpdesk jobs want u to know relatively nothing
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    going out into the world and getting ? on in job interviews was part of becoming a real human being.

Like I have buddie's who just grow up, work for their dad and never have to apply for a job in their life and seriously don't think I can relate to them sometimes.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe I'll repost these in that stickied thread.

1. Going into an interview, you should know the background of the company you've applied for. When it was founded, its industry, public perception of it, the kinds of jobs exist within it, its major competitors, laws and policies relative to it. Displaying that type of information lets them know that you're not only well prepared, but invested in the job opportunity and staying and growing with them. It's the first question I ask, "What do you know about our company?" If you don't know anything, my automatic perception is that you just threw in an application with no idea of who you want as an employer. Or you don't care. And if you don't care, I don't want you. The more you know going in, the better because it means job training will be easier.

Yea I need to get better at this, my last 2 interviews they asked this and I didn't really have much to say
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options

I just make ? up

You might be joking, but seriously don't. Good companies do background checks and call references. I damn sure will if there is the slightest thing suspect on your resume or if your story doesn't sound right.

Meh, ? are going to do what they need to do to feed their family, and of course he has the references on deck lol. The ? you thought this was?.. ? , maybe the companies should stop asking for outlandish experience, knowing damn well everyone that fits that description is already hired. It's almost age discrimination on most of that ? . They be like "20+years and a PMP", translation: old white male.

Side note: If you're a black person interviewing other black (qualified) people you need to "even the odds" a bit, and hire more so based on potential and aptitude. I know you're probably doing the exact opposite as ? in your position stay scared to make moves SMH.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just make ? up

I'm not joking in the least bit

My ? sound believable, and I don't care

When I'm at work I always think to myself

"If they fire me or I get tired of this ? I can always go back to selling ? "

So really I don't care
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every interview I've had with a woman I didn't get the job....
  • b'mer...
    b'mer... Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At the end of the interview, when they ask u " so...do u have any questions?" Sale this little trick by gasing them up and seeming very interested, then ask them what was the last book that they have read. Sale it 100% and ur in there. Good as gold!
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good question to ask your interviewer when they ask if you have any questions.

"What types of problems is the company facing and how would hiring me help you solve those problems?"

You can also ask: "Can you give me some examples of how I would be collaborating with my manager/supervisor?"

I like to stand up during my interviews as well. It's just always something I've done. If I'm not buddy buddy with my interviewers by the end of the interview, I feel I won't get the job.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • soul rattler
    Options

I just make ? up

Meh, ? are going to do what they need to do to feed their family, and of course he has the references on deck lol. The ? you thought this was?.. ? , maybe the companies should stop asking for outlandish experience, knowing damn well everyone that fits that description is already hired. It's almost age discrimination on most of that ? . They be like "20+years and a PMP", translation: old white male.

Side note: If you're a black person interviewing other black (qualified) people you need to "even the odds" a bit, and hire more so based on potential and aptitude. I know you're probably doing the exact opposite as ? in your position stay scared to make moves SMH.

Project on someone else.

I promise you, you don't know what you're talking about.
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yeah.

? just like going to court. Get all dressed up with a suit & tie, and STILL go to jail.

I've been on plenty of interviews, and never got the job.

Sometimes I think I was used as a "box-check" for these companies to show via job candidate data, that they're not engaging in discriminatory hiring practices.

You can tell when a interview is going South, when they ask you questions related to your behavior/character, rather than your skillset.

• G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? interviews...straight like dat lol
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plenty of times. I hate the job hunt process
  • Mastery
    Options
    OhPee wrote: »
    Mastery wrote: »

"What types of problems is the company facing and how would hiring me help you solve those problems?"

You can also ask: "Can you give me some examples of how I would be collaborating with my manager/supervisor?"

I like to stand up during my interviews as well. It's just always something I've done. If I'm not buddy buddy with my interviewers by the end of the interview, I feel I won't get the job.

I just asked these 2 questions this morning. The panel of 3 were blown back and repeated how good the questions were. I want to personally thank you and am glad I looked at this thread last night before bed.

@OhPee

You're welcome bruh. Hopefully you get the job man.
  • Mastery
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »

What actually happened
    kzi87rx58w04.gif

Lmao! For real... I wish a ? could just choke his way to a position.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mrtdb wrote: »
    I had an interview for an internship and the company never called me back...as it turns out I actually had a class with someone who applied for the same internship and got the offer. Funny thing is...my grades are better than his are, my knowledge of the subject is better than his, my desire to learn is better than his (he's lowkey a ? ), and my social skills are better than his. (We're both in school for information technology, so you know how lowkey and arrogant some techies can be, I'm pretty chill and easy to get along with though. He's the type that assumes you're wrong and talks over you, even if what he's saying makes no sense)

So he's white and I'm black...which leads me to believe that either
    - I got skipped over because I'm black
    - or he talked so loud in the interview the managers assumed he knew what he was talking about (even though he struggles with the basics of networking) and gave him the job. I'm willing to bank it's the first option tho.

To be honest I saw it coming though, during the interview I felt like the questions they asked me were a bit pointed than they should be...almost as if they were TRYING to prove I couldn't perform. It got to the point where they were asking me about specific port numbers, acronyms, and a whole bunch of it stuff that had nothing to do with the internship.

This is often the case. In many cases if you Black you really got to be in ya face superman at whatever you do..........they gon 0 always doubt you if...and when you're not