You ever have an interview and not get the job?

Options

Comments

• Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    Yes just happened to me last week. Got the email yesterday saying I didn't get it

Had another interview a few days ago didn't hear back from them yet though

It was this one, I got it
    @Bcotton5

I asked for details ? haha

It's cool though lol
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »
    Yes just happened to me last week. Got the email yesterday saying I didn't get it

@Bcotton5

It's cool though lol

Lol I ain't trying to go in too much detail, b.

Shout out @KillaCham though, real ?
    know what it is.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm in the service industry.

If demanding to stand has worked for you, press on. And you're right, every interviewer is different.

But in my case, it's not about power or insecurity. Like I said, if I tell you to have a seat and you're like "Nah b, Ima just stand here" I'm going to think something is wrong with you LOL. Now I may ask if you require any special assistance to work because I wouldn't want to discriminate against a potentially mentally disabled person, but ultimately, you're not going to impress me by opting to stand in front of me at my desk.

Impress me through your resume and the answers to the questions I ask.
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any has done an interview through video before, where they record your responses?
  • Mastery
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm in the service industry.

If demanding to stand has worked for you, press on. And you're right, every interviewer is different.

But in my case, it's not about power or insecurity. Like I said, if I tell you to have a seat and you're like "Nah b, Ima just stand here" I'm going to think something is wrong with you LOL. Now I may ask if you require any special assistance to work because I wouldn't want to discriminate against a potentially mentally disabled person, but ultimately, you're not going to impress me by opting to stand in front of me at my desk.

Impress me through your resume and the answers to the questions I ask.
    Who said I demand to stand though? Lol

I clearly said I always ask the interviewer beforehand if it's ok, if they say it's not ok, I'll sit my ass down haha

I've never been denied the opportunity to stand though.

Trust me my dude, I didn't get the job I have now or any past jobs by just "standing." Lol.

Like you said, I was hired ultimately because I impressed.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Interviewer : How do you stay organized?

Me: In regards to what?

Interviewer: Everything

Me: I map out the process mentally and proceed to do it. It comes naturally, there really isnt a step by step process

Interviewer: I cant really gauge that response or gain anything about how your work with that answer

Me: I can give you specific scenarios but thats to vague of a question to know exactly what youre asking

The ? I'm supposed to answer that ? ? BTW its an Equipment maintenance/IT Support position
  • Mastery
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »

Me: I map out the process mentally and proceed to do it. It comes naturally, there really isnt a step by step process

Interviewer: I cant really gauge that response or gain anything about how your work with that answer

Me: I can give you specific scenarios but thats to vague of a question to know exactly what youre asking

The ? I'm supposed to answer that ? ? BTW its an Equipment maintenance/IT Support position

@Qiv_Owan

http://blog.simplyhired.com/jobsearch/interviews/interview-question-stay-organized/

This is a good example of how you could have tackled that question.

One thing I've done in the past before every job interview was go online and look at a ? load of possible interview questions to get a good idea of how I'm going to approach them if asked.

For the ones I see and am not sure how to answer, I look up examples on how to answer them then apply my personal experience to it.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options

@Qiv_Owan

http://blog.simplyhired.com/jobsearch/interviews/interview-question-stay-organized/

One thing I've done in the past before every job interview was go online and look at a ? load of possible interview questions to get a good idea of how I'm going to approach them if asked.

For the ones I see and am not sure how to answer, I look up examples on how to answer them then apply my personal experience to it.

I do that too

But something so vague and he was like "walk me through it"

Not sure if he knew what he was asking moreso seeing how i would answer

I think i sufficiently answered his question given the lack of substance behind the question itself
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah im sure i didnt get the job
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Simple, always find a way to relate it back to the position you're interviewing for. That's why they're there and that's why you're there.

A general answer I would give: "Well, from my experience in working in IT Support, I'm well aware there will be days where we're swamped with work, so when faced with the dilemma of solving multiple high priority items, I would organize my workload/queue by taking the following steps": *insert answer here that fits your work behavior*.

Most of the time these interviewers are drones that just want to hear buzz words so their green light goes off, and they can check off their little sheet.
  • Mastery
    Options

@Qiv_Owan

I do that too

I think i sufficiently answered his question given the lack of substance behind the question itself

I understand your frustration bruh. General questions ? me off as well haha. It can be tricky to answer a general question with a very specific and detailed answer.

But when he said "walk me through it," I think that's the point where you provide specific details, from A to Z, if possible.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options

@Qiv_Owan

I do that too

I understand your frustration bruh. General questions ? me off as well haha. It can be tricky to answer a general question with a very specific and detailed answer.

But when he said "walk me through it," I think that's the point where you provide specific details, from A to Z, if possible.

Specific details on 'everything'?
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    Yeah im sure i didnt get the job

Lmao
  • jmol
    jmol Members Posts: 219 ✭✭
    Options
    I had a entry level interview working for Chevron the gas plant and i passed the test and everything high scores and the interview i did well but they asked did i have any relatable exp i said no and didn't get the job smh. The pay was 88k
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Listen.

One of the hardest pills to swallow when hitting the pavement is the fact that not every employer has practical, ethical, or plainly effective hiring processes. From the application process, to the applicant selection process, to the interviews, to the actual hiring and training, alot of places just don't know what the hell they're doing.

You could have done everything right. But all it takes is for someone to not forward your phone call to a manager, or for someone to scroll through whatever name they find appealing, or someone forgetting to click a certain button on a computer program and you might be out of luck.

So try, try, and try again. The company I work for now, I had applied for years before I got hired but whenever I called to speak to management, my call got bounced around and I never got in touch with anyone. Because someone, somewhere, didn't feel like doing THEIR job. There's no telling what could've been but it's worked out for me.

Don't give up.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jmol wrote: »
    I had a entry level interview working for Chevron the gas plant and i passed the test and everything high scores and the interview i did well but they asked did i have any relatable exp i said no and didn't get the job smh. The pay was 88k

Entry level $88k?! Is it still open, lol.
  • Bcotton5
    Options

@Bcotton5

It's cool though lol

I'll give you one , when it was time for me to ask questions I don't remember exactly I worded it but it was like "are there any tasks in this job that I wouldn't be able to do or I'm not qualified to do"

This was after them grilling me with ? job related questions.
  • dnyce215
    Options
    @Mastery good look with the gems bro. I appreciate it.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jmol wrote: »

A Chevron plant in Texas? You gotta know how to answer those questions to satisfy what they want to hear
  • SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes quite a few times...

Had and interview at Target and they emailed me that I didn't get it.

Aeropostale- Had an interview one Saturday came for a second interview the following Saturday. I called them back to check the status and they said we are currently fully staffed and we wouldn't be able to hire until Christmas. Why interview me then? I was ? . But now they are going out of business so I'm glad I didn't get it.

I Had an interview to work at Toys R Us for the second time they didn't rehire me. I didn't really care much.

I interviewed at two different Hollisters to be a manager in training, didn't get either one.

I Had an interview to work at Southington Observer (a newspaper) and they gave me an assignment. I wrote a story for them, they put it in the paper but I didn't get the job.

I interviewed at three different Victoria Secrets didn't get any of them. (I'll never apply there again.)

I interviewed at the Walking Company in 2010 and didn't get it then had another interview there in 2014 and didn't get it again.

I interviewed at a Soma because there was a new one opening up at the mall right by where I live but I didn't get it.

I interviewed at Build a Bear Workshop but for whatever reason I didn't get it.

I interviewed at a restaurant called Mitchell's Fish Market, I called to check the status and she said they went with someone with more experience.

I interviewed at Chili's and at the end of the interview he told me to call back in six days...not a week but six days to see if I had got it and I didn't. They went with someone with more experience.

All I have to say is the job market is cutthroat I'm lucky to be working where I'm working at now.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dnyce215
    Options
    I didn't get the IT job today. I was told I didn't wow them with my story on why I wanted to get in to IT.
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Of course. I'm a black man with a somewhat white name. I'm sure when i go in they're like

confused-travolta.gif

I feel your pain bro lol. My name is white as ? . I remember going on this interview my last semester in college. They flew me up there so I dressed comfortably for the flight. Sweat pants, jersey, and a cap. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just standard comfortable ? . So the flight labds, I go to get my bags and Im heading to the cab stands. On the way I call my mom to let her know that I had arrived safely. As Im walking I see a chauffeur chick standing there with my name on a poster board. So I walk up to the lady and tell her I'm SKPJR. The lady looked shocked aa ? . She eyeballed me from head to toe and says "you're SKPJR" with a tone of total disbelief. My mom was still on the phoneand she heard her. My mom was like damn she's shocked as ? to see you. That old white ? damn near ? herself. Old ? went from shocked to disgusted when she had to carry my bags.

I had no idea I was going to be driven back to the hotel. I wasn't informed of that. Even if I would have known that I still would have dresses comfortably for the flight. Cac ? just couldn't believe that the biggest employer in town was hiring ? engineers, let alone flying them in and that she would have to carry one of their bags.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only twice. 1) They had 2 post the job just out of protocol but it was later discovered they already had their candidate. 2) I was still living out of state and could not relocate for their timeframe. Was close but was too soon 4 my budget. Wound up being a blessing in disguise.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    I have interview tommorow...vibe i got was real full?d=1458881706 at the end

Reminds me of time i had a interview at target when i was 19...n some fat cac ? had a huge grease stain on her shirt i kept lookn at it and didnt get the job

yes. i have had an intvw and didn't get the job