Options

Comments

• Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's absolutely no logic to it.
    Westie wrote: »
    .....and further more lol at you ppl thinking your tax dollars count....at the federal level in a presidential election.

We're ALL being extorted either way..whether you vote, not vote, complain about who you voted for because you think your tax dollars had influence over that specific politician.

Try NOT paying your taxes and see what happens.

Who thinks their tax dollars count????? Who thinks paying taxes isn't ? extortion??? What person with basic knowledge does not understand that lobbyists and corporate money influences politicians???

Sometimes y'all who like to think you're protesting the system by not even participating in it get ahead of yourselves thinking you know more than most people, you don't.

@ bolded.
    People who think paying taxes gives them more reason to complain about policies of an elected official that they chose to vote for more than someone that chose not to vote.

I'm not saying I'm not voting because I know more or less than anyone, I'm not voting because I have come to my personal conclusion that I don't support Hillary Clinton's policy history or Donald Trump's present campaign.

To add, I grew up in high crime areas where taking the garbage to your curb could get you questioned by the police, lived a lot of different places,and been pulled over more times for "looking suspicious" and for the purposes of questioning my legal status (parole or probation) more so than any actual violation. I've probably had 35 non warranted contacts with the police under their suspicion off the way I look alone (between ages 17-30). Stop and frisk although I certainly don't want it....because it is all the way ? up.....doesn't scare me....and I'm not going to support Hillary to avoid it.....and Hillary never said Stop and Frisk was wrong, she said it was ineffective.....and unconstitutional because in part because it was ineffective which leads me to wonder what does she think is effective ( for the super predators )....

She has at least AT THE PRESENT TIME said it's not ok for these police killings to take place.There will never be a perfect candidate, but ok act as if the blatant racism that has come out of trumps mouth is on par with Hillary is crazy af. You may not like all of Hillarys old policies or trust her, so that means sitting it out and getting one step closer to getting this blatant racist to become the president of a country you live in? You're allowed this right, you don't have to do anything, I just think it's ridiculous.

@ bolded
    You're absolutely right.

.....and it's called pandering. Why? Because even with the parade of Black Death and protests all through the public consciousness and news, she has proposed no actionable plan. Only empathatic and vague words. Nothing of substance. I don't like clintons new policies in regards to the racial dynamic because she hasn't proposed any. My only conclusion is the present shitshow slow drip of unarmed Black Deaths will continue while we look the other way and give police money for reforms which do as they did in 2015, 14, 13.......There is nothing there.

The only concern I have about having a blatant racist in office vs a current silent denial of systematic racism is the emboldening of the populous.

Other than that even if trump wins ? it, the world needs to see America for what it is.

Every single politician panders. I really don't know what people want? You're not going to find someone who wants to be the president that is 100% squeaky clean and genuine. You're not. Someone who wants that amount of power is not going to be flawless, quite the opposite. Trump is pandering to racists. You want to empower his base so people can see America "for what it really is"? The world does and this is making us look absolutely ? ridiculous.

• Westie
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    I bet a lot of y'all don't even know the platform she is running on ...

Didn't even factor that into your decision.

? - If you ain't voting cuz you're frustrated ... or you just don't like the ? - I can respect that.

Just don't sit here and tell me this is your self-ritcheous way of "saving America".

I can only speak for myself on this but my decision to not vote isn't at all about saving america, its ideas/dream or its system. My decision to not vote and the actions in my community are about creating and establishing a completely new one. Starting over is a inevitable part of life. Recognizing that I'd rather be more in alignment with the cause that the effect.

What does not having a say in who "runs this country" do to establish anything?

You're also passing up an opportunity to vote for laws in your own area.
  • Westie
    Options
    There's some logic to not voting, though I'm voting 3rd party this year for Jill Stein, I definitely understand why someone wouldn't vote this year. Trump or Hilary both are gonna be bad for the country long term, both are warmongers and I have a feeling Hillary is dying to start some beef with Iran or Russia when she gets elected, among other nations. Neither Trump or Hillary can be trusted, so boycotting this election makes a lot of sense. Although Hillary is better then Trump in several ways, I don't want my conscience being on whatever ? she's gonna be on when she's in office. She voted for the war in Iraq and is a slave to Israel, I don't trust Hillary for ? .

A vote for the Third Party candidate is a vote for Trump but you'll feel better if he wins? Lol Okay ? .
  • Westie
    Options
    I really never thought I gave a ? if people didn't vote but seeing some of the "logic" behind it ? me off.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's some logic to it.
    It makes sense not to vote once you see these politicians for who they are....

What sane minded person would vote for politicians who takes taxpayer $$ and throws it to whatever they feel like? Who would vote for some politician that forces you to submit to unnatural laws and policies and if you don't, well you get fined or sued? And that's just a few examples. The ppl who are unaware voters are just blind monkeys following whatever the tv tells em to. You ain't got no control over these politicians what so ever, but yet, you putting them in office. They need to wake up and look @ what they are doing because this White House has been pimping them since they came into existence.....
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really never thought I gave a ? if people didn't vote but seeing some of the "logic" behind it ? me off.

Reason to vote. Just one of the manyI remember hearing about this just one of many cases years ago on .. Like it is.. or Tony Brown.

Harry T. Moore was born on November 18, 1905, in Houston (Hous-ton), Florida, a tiny farming community in Suwanee County, in the Florida Panhandle. He was the only child of Johnny and Rosa Moore. His father tended the water tanks for the Seaboard Air Line Railroad and ran a small store in front of the house.

Johnny Moore's health faltered when Harry was nine years old, and he died in 1914. Rosa tried to manage alone, working in the cotton fields and running her little store on weekends, but in 1915, she sent Harry to live with one of her sisters in Daytona Beach. The following year, he moved to Jacksonville, where he spent the next three years living with three other aunts: Jesse, Adrianna, and Masie Tyson.

This would prove to be the most important period in his formative years. Jacksonville had a large and vibrant African American community, with a proud tradition of independence and intellectual achievement. Moore's aunts were educated, well-informed women (two were educators and one was a nurse), who took this spindly, intelligent boy into their house on Louisiana Street and treated him like the son they'd never had. Under their nurturing guidance, Moore's natural inquisitiveness and love of learning were reinforced.

After three years in Jacksonville, he returned home to Suwanee County, in 1919, and enrolled in the high school program of Florida Memorial College. Over the next four years, Moore excelled in his studies, earning straight As, except for one B+; he was even nicknamed "Doc" by his classmates.

In May 1925, at age 19, he graduated from Florida Memorial College with a "normal degree" and accepted a teaching job in Cocoa, Florida-- in the watery wilderness of Brevard County.

Building a Family and a Career

Harry and HarriettHe spent the next two years teaching fourth grade at Cocoa's only black elementary school. During his first year in Brevard County, he met an attractive older woman (she was 23, while he was barely 20), named Harriette Vyda Simms. She had taught school herself, but was currently selling insurance for the Atlanta Life Insurance Company. Within a year they were married.

Her family lived in Mims, a small citrus town outside of Titusville. The newlyweds moved in with Harriette's parents until they built their own house on an adjoining acre of land. Meanwhile, Harry had been promoted to principal of the Titusville Colored School, which went from fourth through ninth grades. He taught ninth grade and supervised a staff of six teachers.

In March 1928, their eldest daughter, Annie Rosalea, nicknamed Peaches, was born. When Peaches was six months old, Harriette began teaching at the Mims Colored School. On September 30, 1930, their "baby daughter," Juanita Evangeline, was born.

Moore Joins the NAACP

Harry with NAACP memberIn 1934, Harry Moore started the Brevard County NAACP, and steadily built it into a formidable organization. In 1937, in conjunction with the all-black Florida State Teacher's Association, and backed by the NAACP attorney Thurgood Marshall in New York, Moore filed the first lawsuit in the Deep South to equalize black and white teacher salaries. His good friend, John Gilbert, principal of the Cocoa Junior High School, courageously volunteered as the plaintiff. Although the Gilbert case was eventually lost in state court, it spawned a dozen other federal lawsuits in Florida that eventually led to equalized salaries.

By 1941, NAACP work had become Moore's driving obsession. In 1941, he organized the Florida State Conference of the NAACP, and soon became its unpaid executive secretary. He began churning out eloquent letters, circulars, and broadsides protesting unequal salaries, segregated schools, and the disenfranchisement of black voters.

Moore's Fight for Equal Rights

In 1943, he moved into an even more dangerous arena: lynchings and police brutality. At first, his protests were confined to letters to the governor, but he quickly threw himself directly into lynching cases, taking sworn affidavits from the victims' families and even launching his own investigations. From that point until his death, Moore investigated every single lynching in Florida.

In 1944, Thurgood Marshall won a major victory in the landmark Smith v. Allwright case, in which the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the "lily-white" Democratic Party primary was unconstitutional. Harry Moore immediately organized the Progressive Voters' League, and in the next six years, due primarily to his leadership, over 116,000 black voters were registered in the Florida Democratic Party. This represented 31 percent of all eligible black voters in the state, a figure that was 51% higher than any other southern state.

In June 1946, Moore paid a terrible price for his political activism, as he and Harriette were both fired from their teaching jobs. Realizing that he would be blacklisted from teaching, Moore took a bold step: he became a full-time, paid organizer for the Florida NAACP.

During his first two years, he built the Florida NAACP to a peak of over 10,000 members in 63 branches. In January 1949, however, the NAACP national office doubled annual dues from $1 to $2, and membership plummeted all over the country. Florida followed suit, dropping to 3,000 members in the next year. Moore and the national office began having increasing disagreements over his political activities and his full-time status.

Moore and the Groveland ? Case

In July 1949, the Groveland ? burst upon the national scene, after four young black men were accused of ? a white woman. A white mob went on a rampage through Groveland's black neighborhood, and the National Guard had to be called out to restore order.

Once again, Moore threw himself into the case. After uncovering evidence that the Groveland defendants had been brutally beaten, Moore leveled those charges against the most notorious lawman in the country: Sheriff Willis McCall of Lake County.

Groveland defendants Walter Irvin, Sammy Shepherd, and 16-year-old Charles Greenlee were convicted in 1949, and Irvin and Shepherd were sentenced to death. In April 1951, however, Irvin and Shepherd's convictions were overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court; Lake County immediately prepared to try them again. On November 6, 1951, while Sheriff McCall was driving two of the defendants, Walter Irvin and Sammy Shepherd, back to Lake County for a pre-trial hearing, he shot them, killing Shepherd and critically wounding Irvin. McCall claimed that the handcuffed prisoners had attacked him while trying to escape. Irvin claimed that McCall had simply yanked them out of his car and started firing. The shooting created a national scandal. Harry Moore began calling for McCall's suspension and indictment for murder.

The Murder of Harry T. Moore

moore funeralOnly six weeks later, on Christmas Day 1951, Moore himself was killed when a bomb was placed beneath the floor joists directly under his bed. Moore died on the way to the hospital; his wife, Harriette, died nine days later.

The protests over the Moores' deaths rocked the nation, with dozens of rallies and memorial meetings around the country. President Truman and Florida Governor Fuller Warren were inundated with telegrams and protest letters.

Despite an extensive FBI investigation, however, and two later investigations, the murders have never been solved. Harry Moore was the first NAACP official killed in the civil rights struggle, and he and Harriette are the only husband and wife to give their lives to the movement.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

? - If you ain't voting cuz you're frustrated ... or you just don't like the ? - I can respect that.

Just don't sit here and tell me this is your self-ritcheous way of "saving America".

I can only speak for myself on this but my decision to not vote isn't at all about saving america, its ideas/dream or its system. My decision to not vote and the actions in my community are about creating and establishing a completely new one. Starting over is a inevitable part of life. Recognizing that I'd rather be more in alignment with the cause that the effect.

This I can respect. Don't agree, but I respect it.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    To answer the OP, the logic behind voting is, it is MY CHOICE AND RIGHT to decide if I want to vote or not. There has to be a candidate that I deem worthy enough to spend time out of day to go out and vote for. If there is no candidate that fits the bill, I will not vote, simple logic.

Then there's the personal accountability that comes with voting. If I vote for president X, and president X bombs a foreign land killing civilians, women and children, I am partially responsible. And I refuse to have that kind of blood on my hands.

To quote the great Dead Prez:

Yo, you expect me to vote for the lesser of two evils?
    NEVER!
    It’s more like the evil of two lessers.
    That’s like sayin’ – M! Choose your oppressor!
    Pick one! Jeffery Dahmer or Hannibal Lecter
    You want ? , Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper?
    THEY ALL ? UP and neither one of ‘em better
    Cuz ? is like a Democrat
    ? – Republican
    Marijuana – Independent Party
    SAME GOVERNMENT!
    You really think your vote counts?
    Ask my folk down in Florida didn’t they straight THROW they ? out!
    And them crackas act innocent,
    KNOWING they depend on this
    Benefit from HUSH money from big businesses
    MONEY is the president!
    If CONGRESS can’t make PROGRESS
    Let’s change the PROCESS -
    NO MORE TOMS RUNNIN’ FOR OFFICE!

Only odd thing about this is...how do expect to change the process?

You won't get a plausible answer to this.

But while we are waiting for it to magically change ...

Let's allow an incompetent, bigoted psychopath to run our country and destroy our relationships with the other 95% of the world.

A large portion of Americans hardly ever travel out of the States and view other countries with ignorance, disdain and arrogant contempt anyway...

• Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can somebody please tell me what makes Trump so bad? I have not been following it much but he always seems like a cool down to earth kind of guy, what has he done that was so bad?

This was an honest question I really wanna know the answer to, but instead of getting an answer I just get flagged and buried? can somebody please tell me why he gets so much heat? I heard he called women pigs lol I have called women a lot worse that does not make me bad we all say ? , I like the way Trump isn't (or doesn't seem to be) media trained, Hillary is just talking ? she comes from the same crew as Bush and Obama, before anyone says it yes I know I am not an American I am just giving my opinion from the outside looking in, so can anybody tell me why Trump is so hated?
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2016
    Options
    .....and further more lol at you ppl thinking your tax dollars count....at the federal level in a presidential election.

We're ALL being extorted either way..whether you vote, not vote, complain about who you voted for because you think your tax dollars had influence over that specific politician.

Who thinks their tax dollars count????? Who thinks paying taxes isn't ? extortion??? What person with basic knowledge does not understand that lobbyists and corporate money influences politicians???

Sometimes y'all who like to think you're protesting the system by not even participating in it get ahead of yourselves thinking you know more than most people, you don't.

@ bolded.
    People who think paying taxes gives them more reason to complain about policies of an elected official that they chose to vote for more than someone that chose not to vote.

I'm not saying I'm not voting because I know more or less than anyone, I'm not voting because I have come to my personal conclusion that I don't support Hillary Clinton's policy history or Donald Trump's present campaign.

To add, I grew up in high crime areas where taking the garbage to your curb could get you questioned by the police, lived a lot of different places,and been pulled over more times for "looking suspicious" and for the purposes of questioning my legal status (parole or probation) more so than any actual violation. I've probably had 35 non warranted contacts with the police under their suspicion off the way I look alone (between ages 17-30). Stop and frisk although I certainly don't want it....because it is all the way ? up.....doesn't scare me....and I'm not going to support Hillary to avoid it.....and Hillary never said Stop and Frisk was wrong, she said it was ineffective.....and unconstitutional because in part because it was ineffective which leads me to wonder what does she think is effective ( for the super predators )....

She has at least AT THE PRESENT TIME said it's not ok for these police killings to take place.There will never be a perfect candidate, but ok act as if the blatant racism that has come out of trumps mouth is on par with Hillary is crazy af. You may not like all of Hillarys old policies or trust her, so that means sitting it out and getting one step closer to getting this blatant racist to become the president of a country you live in? You're allowed this right, you don't have to do anything, I just think it's ridiculous.

@ bolded
    You're absolutely right.

.....and it's called pandering. Why? Because even with the parade of Black Death and protests all through the public consciousness and news, she has proposed no actionable plan. Only empathatic and vague words. Nothing of substance. I don't like clintons new policies in regards to the racial dynamic because she hasn't proposed any. My only conclusion is the present shitshow slow drip of unarmed Black Deaths will continue while we look the other way and give police money for reforms which do as they did in 2015, 14, 13.......There is nothing there.

The only concern I have about having a blatant racist in office vs a current silent denial of systematic racism is the emboldening of the populous.

Other than that even if trump wins ? it, the world needs to see America for what it is.

That is completely false.

Read what she's doing before you tell me what she's not doing.

By the way - have you heard about Trump's "plan" on this issue?

How do you think that will work out for black people?

Serious question ...

• Westie
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    To answer the OP, the logic behind voting is, it is MY CHOICE AND RIGHT to decide if I want to vote or not. There has to be a candidate that I deem worthy enough to spend time out of day to go out and vote for. If there is no candidate that fits the bill, I will not vote, simple logic.

Then there's the personal accountability that comes with voting. If I vote for president X, and president X bombs a foreign land killing civilians, women and children, I am partially responsible. And I refuse to have that kind of blood on my hands.

To quote the great Dead Prez:

Yo, you expect me to vote for the lesser of two evils?
    NEVER!
    It’s more like the evil of two lessers.
    That’s like sayin’ – M! Choose your oppressor!
    Pick one! Jeffery Dahmer or Hannibal Lecter
    You want ? , Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper?
    THEY ALL ? UP and neither one of ‘em better
    Cuz ? is like a Democrat
    ? – Republican
    Marijuana – Independent Party
    SAME GOVERNMENT!
    You really think your vote counts?
    Ask my folk down in Florida didn’t they straight THROW they ? out!
    And them crackas act innocent,
    KNOWING they depend on this
    Benefit from HUSH money from big businesses
    MONEY is the president!
    If CONGRESS can’t make PROGRESS
    Let’s change the PROCESS -
    NO MORE TOMS RUNNIN’ FOR OFFICE!

Only odd thing about this is...how do expect to change the process?

You won't get a plausible answer to this.

But while we are waiting for it to magically change ...

Let's allow an incompetent, bigoted psychopath to run our country and destroy our relationships with the other 95% of the world.

A large portion of Americans hardly ever travel out of the States and view other countries with ignorance, disdain and arrogant contempt anyway...

What does that have to do with having a megalomaniac in charge of trade deals and interacting with foreign leaders?
  • Westie
    Options
    That files for bankruptcy regularly btw, but let's put him in charge (for the most part) of our economy.

I'm irritated.
  • Westie
    Options
    Can somebody please tell me what makes Trump so bad? I have not been following it much but he always seems like a cool down to earth kind of guy, what has he done that was so bad?

This was an honest question I really wanna know the answer to, but instead of getting an answer I just get flagged and buried? can somebody please tell me why he gets so much heat? I heard he called women pigs lol I have called women a lot worse that does not make me bad we all say ? , I like the way Trump isn't (or doesn't seem to be) media trained, Hillary is just talking ? she comes from the same crew as Bush and Obama, before anyone says it yes I know I am not an American I am just giving my opinion from the outside looking in, so can anybody tell me why Trump is so hated?

Omgggg please don't even bother. If you wanted to really know, you have an Internet connection.

Www.google.com
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

@ bolded.

@ bolded
    You're absolutely right.

Serious question ...

Put your cape away. This ? Hillary talking about police reform and building better relation with cops, which is very vague. "Hey Blacks, I'm going to give more money to the police force for killing you. Police Reform!!!"
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2016
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »

@ bolded.

@ bolded
    You're absolutely right.

Serious question ...

Put your cape away. This ? Hillary talking about police reform and building better relation with cops, which is very vague. "Hey Blacks, I'm going to give more money to the police force for killing you. Police Reform!!!"

You may not like Hilary ...
    You may not choose to believe her ..

But she does have a plan.

Two questions -

1) Have you read anything about her platform?

Or are you going off of your biased interpretation of a 5 second sound bite from a presidential Debate?

2) If you were president, how would you solve this issue?

In your eyes - what is a worthy plan?
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »

@ bolded.

@ bolded
    You're absolutely right.

Serious question ...

You may not like Hilary ...
    You may not choose to believe her ..

But she does have a plan.

Two questions -

1) Have you read anything about her platform?

Or are you going off of your biased interpretation of a 5 second sound bite from a presidential Debate?

2) If you were president, how would you solve this issue?

In your eyes - what is a worthy plan?

Read, saw the debate, seen the docs, saw her exploit Haiti for millions of dollars, act like she was concerned etc. Stop assuming and realize this system wasn't made to help Black folks. Miss me with the smart dumb ? .
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ok. Cool.

I assumed that you weren't aware of her platform based on the contradictory comments that you made.

My mistake.

Given that you are well versed, can you explain to me how the following is "very vague", "pandering", or "destined to be ineffective" against fractured race relations within the justice system and police communities?

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/criminal-justice-reform/

And again, if you contend that Hilary, in fact, has only proposed "vague and empathetic words ... [and her] plans are nothing of substance"

What would be an effective plan or proposal?

Given that her approach is destined to prove grossly ineffective and fail miserably ... so much so that we should allow Donald Trump into the Oval Office ...

I am curious as to what that threshold of effectiveness is ... what right looks like
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I personally feel that if you don't want to vote than don't because it's your right to have a choice. But you also lose the right to complain as well since you didn't participate.

Thoughts?

This is ? .

What If your wife says she wants a threesome with you and another dude or
    She want your permission to let the broncos O-line run a train on her.

You can't say how ? up she is because you didn't pick one?

There is nothing wrong with not picking between 2 bad choices.
  • Peace_79
    Options
    ^ Interesting analogy.

What if that decision affected more than just you ...

Say over 300 million people ...

What if it was across more than just that one isolated issue.

What if it was several dozens of crucial issues with systemic consequences for you and the world at large.

Imagine if it dealt with matters even MORE serious than infidelity ...

- Like wars, terrorism and the lives of millions of people

-Or the ability for millions of young adults to acquire an education in America

-Or the global and domestic economy; augmented by the dynamics of foreign policy and international relations

Does any of that change your analogy?

• xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cuz equal pay for women isn't a black issue
    Cuz ? rights arent black issues
    Cuz police relations aren't black issues
    Cuz the state of economy isn't a black issue
    Cuz the tax code isn't a black issue
    Cuz affordable education isn't a black issue
    Cuz maternity/paternity leave isn't a black issue
    Cuz affordable child care isn't a black issue
    Cuz clean, renewable energy isn't a black issue
    Cuz anti-terrorism strategy isn't a black issue
    Cuz foreign policy / foreign relations isn't a black issue
    Cuz trade policy, the global economy isn't a black issue

None of that "affects black people" ...

We shouldn't care what the president plans to do about it.

Once again, not a single thing you just posted was done for black people, or even with black people in mind AT ALL so I'm not sure what your point is

Your post was just a bunch of buzzwords

And did you imply that ? rights is a black issue?? Smh
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is what I mean, stop allowing yourself to be brainwashed

YOU don't know what platform she's running on, and I'll bet money on that

But it doesn't matter either way
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2016
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    Cuz equal pay for women isn't a black issue
    Cuz ? rights arent black issues
    Cuz police relations aren't black issues
    Cuz the state of economy isn't a black issue
    Cuz the tax code isn't a black issue
    Cuz affordable education isn't a black issue
    Cuz maternity/paternity leave isn't a black issue
    Cuz affordable child care isn't a black issue
    Cuz clean, renewable energy isn't a black issue
    Cuz anti-terrorism strategy isn't a black issue
    Cuz foreign policy / foreign relations isn't a black issue
    Cuz trade policy, the global economy isn't a black issue

None of that "affects black people" ...

We shouldn't care what the president plans to do about it.

Once again, not a single thing you just posted was done for black people, or even with black people in mind AT ALL so I'm not sure what your point is

Your post was just a bunch of buzzwords

And did you imply that ? rights is a black issue?? Smh

Buzz words???

Ok, so just to clarify ... your contention is that nothing in that post even remotely affects black people?

As a black person, I should not be concerned with any of those issues listed ...
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "The game is clearly rigged, but we should play anyway." That's the way people sound on this topic. Voting works when people have access to the ideologies of all the candidates; when the candidates have access to all of the ballots; when gerrymandering is either nonexistent or done in a less duplicitous way; when candidates have equal media and debate access; etc. The problem is that people think voting by itself, or the lackthereof, is the greatest concern, but if people are ignorant then their vote will be used against them.

Black people voted for Barack Obama in record numbers. They also voted for the Democratic super-majority as well, yet black people didn't receive any substantive policy changes to their benefits. The notion that voting brings change is therefore debunked. It's funny really, this country has never had a robust democracy in practice. But people don't study history, so how could they know that?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@ bolded.

@ bolded
    You're absolutely right.

Every single politician panders. I really don't know what people want? You're not going to find someone who wants to be the president that is 100% squeaky clean and genuine. You're not. Someone who wants that amount of power is not going to be flawless, quite the opposite. Trump is pandering to racists. You want to empower his base so people can see America "for what it really is"? The world does and this is making us look absolutely ? ridiculous.

Again when broken down to its simplicity I do not support either candidate. That's it. That is my logic. I don't like either so I choose not to support either.

Nobody in this thread has given any solid reason to vote for Clinton, only reasons to vote against Trump.

Do I like Clinton? No.
    Do I like Trump? Hell no.

Just because I dislike Trump more than Clinton doesn't make me say "oh welp, in order to stop trump I gotta go support Clinton".

Again, I voted in 2008. Maybe I'll vote in 2020 if someone is there I feel like voting for. I choose not to vote this election because I don't like the choices offered.

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The cynicism,distrust,fear and paranoia of the electoral/political process is absolutely real and legit

but I honestly feel many of us use that cynicism,distrust,fear and paranoia as an convenient excuse to do absolutely NOTHING.