The Logic Of Not Voting ?

Options

Comments

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    If you're trying to get out of jury duty at the federal or state level, your best chance of doing so is by never registering to vote or canceling your current voter registration. As important as the right to vote is, many Americans opt out of voting to avoid being called for jury duty.

This is an actual "reason" that people may have. Outside of that its mostly just apathy. A lot of people are in a place where they just arent in voting mentality. Due to things not being conducive to that in their lives. I was one of them but this is actually an election im interested in voting in. I never went around talking about not voting because I just let the next person vote. Good for them at least they are taking action. Not voting isnt an accomplishment.
    To say things like there is no difference and all that is nonsense to me. Just look at the last Republican Presidency (Bush) compared to the last Democrat (Obama). We dont need recessions and wars right now. Some of us actually enjoy our lives and it definitely matters. I had success during both but have enjoyed Obama's term greatly. Sometimes there is simply a clear choice and the realist in me understands that.
    Always keep in mind that there are many nonblacks on this site so there are people with all kinds of motives but if im going to vote it has nothing to do with anyone else's opinion thats one thing i always realized thats one thing thats up to them. Speaking of motives there has always been people trying to get black people and minorities to not vote look at all the unconstitutional laws they try to pass even today to try to make it harder. They fear that vote so obviously it matters.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's absolutely no logic to it.
    Westie wrote: »
    .....and further more lol at you ppl thinking your tax dollars count....at the federal level in a presidential election.

We're ALL being extorted either way..whether you vote, not vote, complain about who you voted for because you think your tax dollars had influence over that specific politician.

Try NOT paying your taxes and see what happens.

Who thinks their tax dollars count????? Who thinks paying taxes isn't ? extortion??? What person with basic knowledge does not understand that lobbyists and corporate money influences politicians???

Sometimes y'all who like to think you're protesting the system by not even participating in it get ahead of yourselves thinking you know more than most people, you don't.

@ bolded.
    People who think paying taxes gives them more reason to complain about policies of an elected official that they chose to vote for more than someone that chose not to vote.

I'm not saying I'm not voting because I know more or less than anyone, I'm not voting because I have come to my personal conclusion that I don't support Hillary Clinton's policy history or Donald Trump's present campaign.

To add, I grew up in high crime areas where taking the garbage to your curb could get you questioned by the police, lived a lot of different places,and been pulled over more times for "looking suspicious" and for the purposes of questioning my legal status (parole or probation) more so than any actual violation. I've probably had 35 non warranted contacts with the police under their suspicion off the way I look alone (between ages 17-30). Stop and frisk although I certainly don't want it....because it is all the way ? up.....doesn't scare me....and I'm not going to support Hillary to avoid it.....and Hillary never said Stop and Frisk was wrong, she said it was ineffective.....and unconstitutional because in part because it was ineffective which leads me to wonder what does she think is effective ( for the super predators )....

She has at least AT THE PRESENT TIME said it's not ok for these police killings to take place.There will never be a perfect candidate, but ok act as if the blatant racism that has come out of trumps mouth is on par with Hillary is crazy af. You may not like all of Hillarys old policies or trust her, so that means sitting it out and getting one step closer to getting this blatant racist to become the president of a country you live in? You're allowed this right, you don't have to do anything, I just think it's ridiculous.

@ bolded
    You're absolutely right.

.....and it's called pandering. Why? Because even with the parade of Black Death and protests all through the public consciousness and news, she has proposed no actionable plan. Only empathatic and vague words. Nothing of substance. I don't like clintons new policies in regards to the racial dynamic because she hasn't proposed any. My only conclusion is the present shitshow slow drip of unarmed Black Deaths will continue while we look the other way and give police money for reforms which do as they did in 2015, 14, 13.......There is nothing there.

The only concern I have about having a blatant racist in office vs a current silent denial of systematic racism is the emboldening of the populous.

Other than that even if trump wins ? it, the world needs to see America for what it is.

Every single politician panders. I really don't know what people want? You're not going to find someone who wants to be the president that is 100% squeaky clean and genuine. You're not. Someone who wants that amount of power is not going to be flawless, quite the opposite. Trump is pandering to racists. You want to empower his base so people can see America "for what it really is"? The world does and this is making us look absolutely ? ridiculous.

Again when broken down to its simplicity I do not support either candidate. That's it. That is my logic. I don't like either so I choose not to support either.

Nobody in this thread has given any solid reason to vote for Clinton, only reasons to vote against Trump.

Do I like Clinton? No.
    Do I like Trump? Hell no.

Just because I dislike Trump more than Clinton doesn't make me say "oh welp, in order to stop trump I gotta go support Clinton".

Again, I voted in 2008. Maybe I'll vote in 2020 if someone is there I feel like voting for. I choose not to vote this election because I don't like the choices offered.

There are plenty of reasons to vote for Clinton from my perspective, but they would all be dismissed on here as soon as they were posted ...

Nevertheless, I respect where you are coming from because at least it is logical and not pseudo-intellectual.

I disagree.

And I think there are better ways to educate yourself on Trump and Hilary's campaign other than the IC ... but I can repsect it.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's some logic to it.
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    xxCivicxx wrote: »
    Cuz equal pay for women isn't a black issue
    Cuz ? rights arent black issues
    Cuz police relations aren't black issues
    Cuz the state of economy isn't a black issue
    Cuz the tax code isn't a black issue
    Cuz affordable education isn't a black issue
    Cuz maternity/paternity leave isn't a black issue
    Cuz affordable child care isn't a black issue
    Cuz clean, renewable energy isn't a black issue
    Cuz anti-terrorism strategy isn't a black issue
    Cuz foreign policy / foreign relations isn't a black issue
    Cuz trade policy, the global economy isn't a black issue

None of that "affects black people" ...

We shouldn't care what the president plans to do about it.

Once again, not a single thing you just posted was done for black people, or even with black people in mind AT ALL so I'm not sure what your point is

Your post was just a bunch of buzzwords

And did you imply that ? rights is a black issue?? Smh

Buzz words???

Ok, so just to clarify ... your contention is that nothing in that post even remotely affects black people?

As a black person, I should not be concerned with any of those issues listed ...

You seem to have a comprehension problem, no disrespect

Once again, nothing you posted was done FOR BLACK PEOPLE

Your entire argument is "well SOME black people are residually affected by legislation passed to benefit other people"

I'm saying that's a horribly defeated and inferior mindset to have, and the FACTS are that nothing you posted was done to specifically help black people
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    The cynicism,distrust,fear and paranoia of the electoral/political process is absolutely real and legit

but I honestly feel many of us use that cynicism,distrust,fear and paranoia as an convenient excuse to do absolutely NOTHING.

Not voting in large numbers is actually a form of protest. It actually makes more noise than voting for the "lesser of two evils" every time.
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This video explains the "logic" of not voting in THIS election perfectly.

https://youtu.be/H1vpV6_F6GY
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you're trying to get out of jury duty at the federal or state level, your best chance of doing so is by never registering to vote or canceling your current voter registration. As important as the right to vote is, many Americans opt out of voting to avoid being called for jury duty.

A lot of people are in a place where they just arent in voting mentality. Due to things not being conducive to that in their lives.

Not voting isnt an accomplishment.

To say things like there is no difference and all that is nonsense to me. Just look at the last Republican Presidency (Bush) compared to the last Democrat (Obama). We dont need recessions and wars right now. Some of us actually enjoy our lives and it definitely matters. I had success during both but have enjoyed Obama's term greatly.

Still baffles me how people compare 2007...
    Bush's administration ... And where we are today ...

And have the nerve to say:

"They are exactly the same ... we have made no progress"

Just stop and think about that for a minute...

An now this same reductionist rhetoric, apathy, and myopic perspective has us on the verge of electing the next ? as President

After all, he is "The same as Obama"

SMMFH

• MrMinimalist
    MrMinimalist Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They're selected, not elected anyway as they say.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The cynicism,distrust,fear and paranoia of the electoral/political process is absolutely real and legit

but I honestly feel many of us use that cynicism,distrust,fear and paranoia as an convenient excuse to do absolutely NOTHING.

Not voting in large numbers is actually a form of protest. It actually makes more noise than voting for the "lesser of two evils" every time.

But ultimately who benefits from people NOT participating in choosing their elected representatives?

Who are you "stickin' it to!" by NOT voting for mayors,city/county council members, school board members, sheriffs,State Prosecutors,Senators etc.???

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

A lot of people are in a place where they just arent in voting mentality. Due to things not being conducive to that in their lives.

Not voting isnt an accomplishment.

To say things like there is no difference and all that is nonsense to me. Just look at the last Republican Presidency (Bush) compared to the last Democrat (Obama). We dont need recessions and wars right now. Some of us actually enjoy our lives and it definitely matters. I had success during both but have enjoyed Obama's term greatly.

Still baffles me how people compare 2007...
    Bush's administration ... And where we are today ...

And have the nerve to say:

"They are exactly the same ... we have made no progress"

Just stop and think about that for a minute...

An now this same reductionist rhetoric, apathy, and myopic perspective has us on the verge of electing the next ? as President

After all, he is "The same as Obama"

SMMFH

Exactly. To me, that makes no sense. Thats where my brain comes in to play. I actually think a better option than not voting is voting from the ground up. That way your actually doing something. From the community to state to country. Its obvious the differences it makes who is in office. Just seeing how red states are run vs blue. for instance. From roads, industries, laws, etc.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Doesn't work like that anymore. Well idk how it works in N.Y. but here in MI if you have a license, state ID, passport etc you are added to list of being in jury duty regardless if you're registered to vote.

It's really no way out of out jury duty these days.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I bet a lot of y'all don't even know the platform she is running on ...

Didn't even factor that into your decision.

? - If you ain't voting cuz you're frustrated ... or you just don't like the ? - I can respect that.

Just don't sit here and tell me this is your self-ritcheous way of "saving America".

I can only speak for myself on this but my decision to not vote isn't at all about saving america, its ideas/dream or its system. My decision to not vote and the actions in my community are about creating and establishing a completely new one. Starting over is a inevitable part of life. Recognizing that I'd rather be more in alignment with the cause that the effect.

What does not having a say in who "runs this country" do to establish anything?

You're also passing up an opportunity to vote for laws in your own area.

Because whoever "runs this country" is just an employee. The president is a figurehead who answers to those who hate, ? , and systematically oppress us. If I get hired somewhere I have to follow the rules of that company or I will be fired. So whoever the next president is will just follow the rules of the house/company, not the people.

And not only am I not passing up an opportunity to affect policy on a local level, our actions in the community is what creates and will create the new policies. We are creating the policies instead of voting on them. Another reason I do what I do is to be a living example that major things can and will get done without the White man's permission.
  • Peace_79
    edited October 2016
    Options

Once again, not a single thing you just posted was done for black people, or even with black people in mind AT ALL so I'm not sure what your point is

Buzz words???

Ok, so just to clarify ... your contention is that nothing in that post even remotely affects black people?

As a black person, I should not be concerned with any of those issues listed ...

Your entire argument is "well SOME black people are residually affected by legislation passed to benefit other people"

I'm saying that's a horribly defeated and inferior mindset to have, and the FACTS are that nothing you posted was done to specifically help black people

Nah want I am saying is that you need to be more specific with your claim.

"In your opinion, nothing has been done to specifically affect race relations amongst black people in America"

We are not defined only by the color of our skin.

So your statement is false, because dozens of laws have been passed to "help black people"...

Or PEOPLE ... who happen to be black ...

Furthermore, l disagree with this notion that we should ignore all other qualities of a presidential candidate and all other crucial issues domestically and abroad ... because of your claim.

For example, your logic thus far in the conversation would suggest that if Trump promised to murder all Muslims on earth and drop a nuclear bomb on Siria and China ...

It "wouldn't matter" because ...

"That would not specifically affect black people"
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My main reason for voting in this election is simple,it is stop Donald Trump by any means necessary of becoming President, a man who has filed bankruptcy 6 times you think he is going to be responsible and give damn about the financial health of this country.

He hasn’t released his tax returns because he probably owes millions of dollars to some Russians and it is no coincidence that these email hacks which have been linked back to Russia have hit and targeted everyone but Donald Trump and his campaign. Because Russia would prefer Trump as the President so Putin can control him from a far like a puppet.

Or how Donald Trump tax plan would blow the deficit up by every estimate from independent researcher "A revenue shortfall of $500 billion next year and nearly $10 trillion over the next decade, according to the Tax Policy Center."
    While on the other hand Clinton’s carefully calibrated plan is exactly what you’d expect from a former girl scout and college class president. She would raise an extra $30 billion in 2017, and a total of $1.08 trillion over the next decade—tidily matching the $1.1 trillion in new spending she’s proposed on infrastructure, education, and other items.
    http://time.com/money/4405149/clinton-and-trump-tax-plans-cost-by-income-level/

I would not trust a man who has the attitude of a petulant child who is consistently baited by tweets with our nuclear codes and the most powerful military Earth has ever seen in history. Where Donald Trump has mention in his security briefings about using nukes 3 time in his briefing.

Or how he wants to implement stop and frisk across the country when it was ruled in court as being unconstitutional .

I SAY THIS TO ALL WHO ARE THINKING ABOUT SITTING OUT OF THIS ELECTION,THAT THIS MAN NAMED DONALD J. TRUMP CAN NOT BECOME PRESIDENT!
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Voting locally >>>

Even then black people in the US, don't have a economic base so local voting isn't a 100% science
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    To answer the OP, the logic behind voting is, it is MY CHOICE AND RIGHT to decide if I want to vote or not. There has to be a candidate that I deem worthy enough to spend time out of day to go out and vote for. If there is no candidate that fits the bill, I will not vote, simple logic.

Then there's the personal accountability that comes with voting. If I vote for president X, and president X bombs a foreign land killing civilians, women and children, I am partially responsible. And I refuse to have that kind of blood on my hands.

To quote the great Dead Prez:

Yo, you expect me to vote for the lesser of two evils?
    NEVER!
    It’s more like the evil of two lessers.
    That’s like sayin’ – M! Choose your oppressor!
    Pick one! Jeffery Dahmer or Hannibal Lecter
    You want ? , Coke, Pepsi or Dr. Pepper?
    THEY ALL ? UP and neither one of ‘em better
    Cuz ? is like a Democrat
    ? – Republican
    Marijuana – Independent Party
    SAME GOVERNMENT!
    You really think your vote counts?
    Ask my folk down in Florida didn’t they straight THROW they ? out!
    And them crackas act innocent,
    KNOWING they depend on this
    Benefit from HUSH money from big businesses
    MONEY is the president!
    If CONGRESS can’t make PROGRESS
    Let’s change the PROCESS -
    NO MORE TOMS RUNNIN’ FOR OFFICE!

Only odd thing about this is...how do expect to change the process?

You won't get a plausible answer to this.

But while we are waiting for it to magically change ...

Let's allow an incompetent, bigoted psychopath to run our country and destroy our relationships with the other 95% of the world.

A large portion of Americans hardly ever travel out of the States and view other countries with ignorance, disdain and arrogant contempt anyway...

What does that have to do with having a megalomaniac in charge of trade deals and interacting with foreign leaders?

Regarding the Republican Party, Trump's ascension to within a touching distance of the White House is due to George W. Bush's legacy as an ex-President under the same party for 2 terms...

It is what it is...
  • xxCivicxx
    Options

Buzz words???

Nah want I am saying is that you need to be more specific with your claim.

"In your opinion, nothing has been done to specifically affect race relations amongst black people in America"

We are not defined only by the color of our skin.

So your statement is false, because dozens of laws have been passed to "help black people"...

Or PEOPLE ... who happen to be black ...

Furthermore, l disagree with this notion that we should ignore all other qualities of a presidential candidate and all other crucial issues domestically and abroad ... because of your claim.

For example, your logic thus far in the conversation would suggest that if Trump promised to murder all Muslims on earth and drop a nuclear bomb on Siria and China ...

It "wouldn't matter" because ...

"That would not specifically affect black people"

Ok I'm completely confused about what point you're trying to make so I'm just going to stop
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    My main reason for voting in this election is simple,it is stop Donald Trump by any means necessary of becoming President, a man who has filed bankruptcy 6 times you think he is going to be responsible and give damn about the financial health of this country.

He hasn’t released his tax returns because he probably owes millions of dollars to some Russians and it is no coincidence that these email hacks which have been linked back to Russia have hit and targeted everyone but Donald Trump and his campaign. Because Russia would prefer Trump as the President so Putin can control him from a far like a puppet.

Or how Donald Trump tax plan would blow the deficit up by every estimate from independent researcher "A revenue shortfall of $500 billion next year and nearly $10 trillion over the next decade, according to the Tax Policy Center."
    While on the other hand Clinton’s carefully calibrated plan is exactly what you’d expect from a former girl scout and college class president. She would raise an extra $30 billion in 2017, and a total of $1.08 trillion over the next decade—tidily matching the $1.1 trillion in new spending she’s proposed on infrastructure, education, and other items.
    http://time.com/money/4405149/clinton-and-trump-tax-plans-cost-by-income-level/

I would not trust a man who has the attitude of a petulant child who is consistently baited by tweets with our nuclear codes and the most powerful military Earth has ever seen in history. Where Donald Trump has mention in his security briefings about using nukes 3 time in his briefing.

Or how he wants to implement stop and frisk across the country when it was ruled in court as being unconstitutional .

I SAY THIS TO ALL WHO ARE THINKING ABOUT SITTING OUT OF THIS ELECTION,THAT THIS MAN NAMED DONALD J. TRUMP CAN NOT BECOME PRESIDENT!

The country is already multiple trillions of dollars in debt and once again, why do y'all let yourselves be hypnotized by this orchestrated political circus?

It looks like you copy/pasted that from a random political article. There's no depth to what you're saying
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    Smh black people in america are probably ?

No one thinks for themselves any more, y'all just parrot propaganda that y'all heard somewhere else

I shouldn't have to convince ? that the current candidates are 2 sides to the exact same coin
  • xxCivicxx
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I'm saying they're all worse than trump because they all have passed legislation that has directly ? black people

Trump has never been in a position to pass oppressive legislation but he will just be doing the same things that are already happening if he is elected. So will hillary, it literally does not matter

Y'all gotta stop believing the media

But he's damn sure been sued over his racist housing practices. Him and his daddy was pretty much Donald Sterling of the east coast.

Exactly, and this is what makes him small scale compared to what hillary has done
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They don't realize how withdrawl makes things worse
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    brown321 wrote: »
    I personally feel that if you don't want to vote than don't because it's your right to have a choice. But you also lose the right to complain as well since you didn't participate.

Thoughts?

This is ? .

What If your wife says she wants a threesome with you and another dude or
    She want your permission to let the broncos O-line run a train on her.

You can't say how ? up she is because you didn't pick one?

There is nothing wrong with not picking between 2 bad choices.
    m6xpr23at1ic.gif

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the candidates

But if Trump wins, his supporters are going to feel bullet proof and I see a lot of bad ? happening to all non whites.

They gon feel he got their back for the ? they gon do and they gon go hard.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you pay taxes how do you lose the right to complain?

But you not voting for the people that is spending your money. Yeah that makes alot of sense. Just give them your money and dont say ? . Cool.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This was excellent. MED is still that ? . Though I agree with Eddie.