Clueless coonette Chrisette Michelle x The Breakfast Club…

Options

Comments

•  i ro ny
    i ro ny Members Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

its really not about justifying anything.

she said why she did the ? . folks dont agree. it is what it is. i watched the interview just to get her perspective from her own mouth.

while i watched, one of the things i thought about was back when Lupe Fiasco was asked to perform at an Inauguration Party for Obama after his re-election in 2012. he accepted even after publically stating that Obama was "the biggest terrorist"..

https://youtu.be/28MwXpy8uh8?t=2m42s

"To me, the biggest terrorist is Obama in the United States of America," Fiasco said. "I’m trying to fight the terrorism that’s causing the other forms of terrorism. You know the root cause of terrorists is the stuff the U.S. government allows to happen. The foreign policies that we have in place in different countries that inspire people to become terrorists."

So yeah, Lupe gets invited to perform at this Inauguration event and what does he do? He raps the first verse of "Words I Never Said" for 40 minutes, which includes the following lyrics:

"Limbaugh is a racist, Glenn Beck is a racist
    Gaza Strip was getting bombed, Obama didn’t say ?
    That's why I ain't vote for him, next one either

I’m a part of the problem, my problem is I’m peaceful
    And I believe in the people, yeah"

If i remember correctly, he said he donated his commission to charity.

• NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »

she said why she did the ? . folks dont agree. it is what it is. i watched the interview just to get her perspective from her own mouth.

while i watched, one of the things i thought about was back when Lupe Fiasco was asked to perform at an Inauguration Party for Obama after his re-election in 2012. he accepted even after publically stating that Obama was "the biggest terrorist"..

"To me, the biggest terrorist is Obama in the United States of America," Fiasco said. "I’m trying to fight the terrorism that’s causing the other forms of terrorism. You know the root cause of terrorists is the stuff the U.S. government allows to happen. The foreign policies that we have in place in different countries that inspire people to become terrorists."

So yeah, Lupe gets invited to perform at this Inauguration event and what does he do? He raps the first verse of "Words I Never Said" for 40 minutes, which includes the following lyrics:

Let's see him pull that ? on Trump. I'll bet cash money he font want no problems.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao at Sion referring to him as smeng
  •  i ro ny
    Options
    NCswag wrote: »

Let's see him pull that ? on Trump. I'll bet cash money he font want no problems.

Pull what?

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Apparently this is the "open letter" India Arie wrote that people are responding to :
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spii4h

I Stand Up for @ChriseteM

I got a call this morning from Anthony David - he’s so brilliant.

I pick up the phone and the first thing he says was, I STAND WITH CHRISETTE MICHELLE

That got me thinking.

So this is a letter from US.
    I can’t say I STAND WITH HER

but ! I can say

I STAND UP FOR CHRISETTE MICHELE

First of all, let me speak for myself:

I LOVE Chrisette I’ve known her since she was singing at open mic’s at village underground, I’ve watched her journey and I haven’t agreed with it all, and still I love her, but that’s not why I write this open letter.

I write this because, I LOVE HUMANITY and I KNOW WE ARE BETTER THAN THIS. Social media is a powerful tool, that becomes a weapon, when people start treating each other as little more, than the little blue screen in front of them.

Basic truth: When we see people as less than human, it gives us permission to treat each other as less than human. THIS IS THE FUNDAMENTAL ISSUE FACING AMERICA AT THIS TIME.
    SO, why do it to each other on an interpersonal level?

The culture is talking about being “WOKE” …. Woke from what?

To ME, Woke, means conscious - making conscious decisions about how you navigate life.
    A basic spiritual philosophy is that, The highest consciousness understanding is that we are one interconnected humanity.

So WAKE UP THEN! Agree or disagree with Chrisette , she is A HUMAN BEING - nuanced and multi dimensional. Give her a chance to be everything that she is, and YOU take a chance to remember - you’ve made missteps too.

Which is how I SEE this thing with Chrisette - a misstep. I think there is a deeper reason she decided to be there - and I think it was a career misstep.

Wanna be “WOKE” respect your fellow HUMAN beings. You NEVER know another persons whole story, we all deserve our journey without being abused by strangers for it. Thats ? .

You want to be “WOKE” remember, that YOU comprise the world you live in, and the most IMPORTANT thing you can do for the world, is be YOUR BEST.

Anthony David: “It’s EASIER for black twitter to attack one lone black woman, and “shut her down” rather than face the “proverbial enemy SHE met, face to face, and so I stand with her behind her and on any other side”

and I (mostly) agree.

He also says: “I would have performed lol”

I personally would not have LOL ~ Not EVEN.
    But Do NOT feel she should be shouted down or abused for it. Not even.

CLARITY

I’m not saying we shouldn’t say ANYTHING!
    I AM SAYING, LET LOOK AT HOW WE ARE SAYING WHAT WE SAY. Why the abuse? and the “Canceling Chrisette Michele in 2017?” and all of that? come on guys.

I think the WAY we are responding is a EXTREME - and I think the reason WHY is so extreme, is that it’s misplaced FEAR and Anger. Chrisette is a trigger for our fear - not the cause nor should she be the focus of it.

WHERE WE ARE IN OUR COLLECTIVE JOURNEY AS A HUMANITY, WITH EVERYTHING happening in the world, the WRONG thing to do is turn on each other out of our own fear and pain. BECAUSE THAT, is how we lose power!
    We need all light workers and healers and high consciousness human beings, on deck now!

So, what I’m saying is, Choose your words, and actions wisely and with the intent to elevate, because WE NEED IT NOW!

Do I agree with her performing at the inauguration? NO. I would have NEVER done it. For any price, under any circumstance. but thats ME.

Do I agree with her having the CHOICE? YES

Do I think I understand the nuance that went into her decision? NO!!

NUANCES
    when you are a person in the public eye, everything you do is seen as a “black and white” decision.
    But all mature adults learn, NOTHING in life is black and white. She is a “celebrity” but first she is HUMAN.

Search your OWN life and recall ANYthing that has been a simple black and white journey? Doesn’t happen.
    And the bigger your life is, the more grey area there is, because there are so MANY people watching and everyones eyes see color differently.

Life is NUANCED, and before you straight up attack someone who, heretofore had been a gifted, talented, respectful, at LEAST, entertaining part of your world, - give them a chance to be human, complex, sometimes contradictory, … you know.. HUMAN.

Anthony David: “What I also find interesting is that people who aren’t even trying to be a force for good, folks who are making misogynistic music for decades! for example, … can become black leaders with 1 tweet … WHY?”

and I AGREE WITH HIM!

Its a MUCH harder path, to be a stand up, decent woman or man in the public eye - and it’s so easy to wear black and hide all of the stains on your own clothes, while you say nice words that people agree with.

Let disagree - but love our sister.

someone i’ve worked with ALL MY CAREER, and love DEARLY, voted for Trump ( and against Obama - twice) and we have yelled at each other it, but we’re still together. TOGETHER, we are a force for good in the world. He is one of my favorite musicians in the world STILL. I don’t agree with him, but I empathize, and I love him still and always will.

which is further to the point!

All who have been asleep and are now “woke”
    THE MOST “WOKE” THING WE CAN DO? IS LOVE,

Not fluffy, pink, new age love. LOVE as in, THE RADICAL VIBRATION THAT IS LOVE! LOVE IN ACTION.
    Stop the petty talk - AND USE OUR ENERGY FOR THE HIGHEST GOOD. WE ARE MORE POWERFUL THAN WE KNOW when we are making “woke” or what I call, “high consciousness” choices.

IF WE CAN JUST FOCUS OUR ATTENTION WHERE IT MATTERS, WE CAN AFFECT CHANGE.
    We are a PASSIONATE PEOPLE! and it’s beautiful, now lets use out power and passion consciously. SO, this, and things of the like, are your FUEL for your flight, if you so choose.

AND SO YES.

I (don’t have to AGREE with Chrirsette to) Stand up for Chrisette

I stand for Love
    I stand for acceptance
    I stand for social responsibility
    I stand for peace
    I stand for you
    I stand for me
    I stand for US

From my Windowsill

#Songversation #worthy #breathe #iamlight #lovearmy #standupforchrisette #chrisettemichele #inauguration #LoveArmy #lovearmyrevival love to all #soulbirdsworldwide

India Arie & Anthony David
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    India Arie is speaking facts like an adult. The world today is full of adult-aged children who never outgrew high school.
  •  i ro ny
    Options

i agree with India Arie.

folks need to stop looking for celebrity saviors too.

• rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This country is going to ? and we're still talking about Chrisette Michele.. Wow.
  •  i ro ny
    Options

lets be real tho...

which one of yall ? in here was actively supporting Chrisette Michele like that?

show of hands.

im sure one of you ol "matter of fact i do" ass ? is gonna come in here saying they do just outta spite but lets take this to another level. its not like yall were paying/supporting customers of her work whole time.

also, take a second and reassess the artists you listen to and/or support. what are they talking about? what is their message? what are you buying into with your money?

think about it.

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

lets be real tho...

which one of yall ? in here was actively supporting Chrisette Michele like that?

show of hands.

im sure one of you ol "matter of fact i do" ass ? is gonna come in here saying they do just outta spite but lets take this to another level. its not like yall were paying/supporting customers of her work whole time.

also, take a second and reassess the artists you listen to and/or support. what are they talking about? what is their message? what are you buying into with your money?

think about it.

Hol up...

She claimed she didn't do it for money or because her career is suffering... so your entire point moot bruh
  • ThaNubianGod
    ThaNubianGod Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    India Arie is speaking facts like an adult. The world today is full of adult-aged children who never outgrew high school.

It's all, very clearly, her opinion, nothing necessarily "factual" about it.

If you want to agree, say that - but to say that people who are voicing their dissatisfaction with CM, are adult aged children, is itself childish.

People flaming India behind this have a point too. For example -

India spoke tons of facts in her post. And yeh, most of yall act like high-schoolers. "You sang for Trump, so I can't deal with you", how ? childish does that sound? I've lost so much respect for society after the last few years, we really are becoming a joke. Anyone over the age of 25+ who is on this ? needs to seriously needs to re-evaluate what they're really about in life.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    This country is going to ? and we're still talking about Chrisette Michele.. Wow.

Certain people are on here. I aint. I am no longer interested in discussing this. Even the ones who are "outraged" will forget eventually. But good point you gotta realize what type that even is and deal with them accordingly and/or ignore them. Thats what she would be well served to do too. You can sit on the sidelines talking and worrying about someone else's life and choices but you cant control somebody else. How much of that are you gonna do? Thats on you.
  •  i ro ny
    Options

lets be real tho...

show of hands.

think about it.

So, if people haven't bought her album, they shouldn't have an opinion on her performing at at Trump's inauguration ?

That's not what I was alluding to. My point is seperate. No purchase is necessary for an opinion on anything.

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wow... India.Arie chimes in too?

I loved her debut album to bits (remember it scored 0 against Alicia Keys at the Grammys back in '01?)

•  i ro ny
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

lets be real tho...

show of hands.

think about it.

Hol up...

She claimed she didn't do it for money or because her career is suffering... so your entire point moot bruh

My point had nothing to do with whether or not she did it for money. I just asked a question about who in here actually purchases her music or goes to her shows when she's in town.
  • 7figz
    Options

If you want to agree, say that - but to say that people who are voicing their dissatisfaction with CM, are adult aged children, is itself childish.

India spoke tons of facts in her post. And yeh, most of yall act like high-schoolers. "You sang for Trump, so I can't deal with you", how ? childish does that sound? I've lost so much respect for society after the last few years, we really are becoming a joke. Anyone over the age of 25+ who is on this ? needs to seriously needs to re-evaluate what they're really about in life.

So what are you "about" and what you think a lot of people think about what you "act like" ?

Also, India Arie said that she wouldn't have performed and she doesn't agree with it either... which is pretty much what people are saying here. SO how can you agree with her, yet think everyone who disagrees with CM is childish ?

•  i ro ny
    Options

So what are you "about" and what you think a lot of people think about what you "act like" ?

Also, India Arie said that she wouldn't have performed and she doesn't agree with it either... which is pretty much what people are saying here. SO how can you agree with her, yet think everyone who disagrees with CM is childish ?

I think the whole coonhunt thing is what makes it childish.
  • 7figz
    Options

Not sure what you mean by coonhunt, but if it's to say that calling her a ? is childish, then I gotta ask is she a ? or not ? If she did some ? ? , then what's childish about calling her a ? ?
  •  i ro ny
    Options

Not sure what you mean by coonhunt, but if it's to say that calling her a ? is childish, then I gotta ask is she a ? or not ? If she did some ? ? , then what's childish about calling her a ? ?

The term is thrown around too much and here recently, it's not even representative of what the ? word actually means. In the rise of "black twitter" in the last 9 years, the word "? " has taken on a new meaning altogether.