Teens film and laugh at drowning man instead of calling for help!

Options

Comments

• mike030270
    mike030270 Members Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Options
    They could have thrown something nearby if it floated

There was 80+ people on a beach in florida making a human chain to save a family from drowning last week

Even if they called and help didn't make it on time and the guy still drowned, people would have praised them for at least trying to help
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    I hope MFs ain't gettin behind any law that requires Black folks to call 911.

Dude was drowning just ? call 911
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huey_C wrote: »

These ? really read the whole manual before they drive a car off the lot. I'm convinced.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Go figure wrote: »
    Meh. When you live in a country that refuses to help its poor, heal its sick, care for its old, its no shock that people are in not rush to help others in need.

I blame the political right for this

there is this thing called accountability

Right. If you think poor people who inherit their poverty are accountable for that, then enjoy inheriting death when I refuse to save your drowning ass.

Should have spent less time complaining about taxes and more time learning how to swim.

This easily one of the dumbest posts i seen on this forum

You must not read your own comments.

Social media, violence on tv and in music, violence in video games....something many if not most 14-16 year olds spend 90% of their free time with make them more familiar with death/violence thereby desensitizing some of them. Their living situations, family upbringing, rocky/traumatic life experiences also factor in.

Half (or most) of their lives a democrat was the president.

The existence of a political party does not absolve a human from being a ? . Its a cop out and its weak. What u did was deflect.
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    The question remains; Are the teens guilty of Criminal Negligence?

Criminal Negligence

The degree of culpability is determined by applying a reasonable person standard. Criminal negligence becomes "gross" when the failure to foresee involves a "wanton disregard for human life" (see the discussion in corporate manslaughter).

The maximum penalties for criminal negligence causing ? harm and death are 10 years (14 years if the conviction is for street racing causing ? harm) and life imprisonment, respectively.

IMO they could be charged with Criminal Negligence for not calling 911. Their family lost all contact of the victim and had gone days without seeing him. They (the family) reported him "missing". If the teens had called 911 at least the family would have known what happened to him.

They won't be charged. CNN confirmed this. Can't arrest someone for being an ? .

@twentyfivelighters they've been charged

Good ? those ?

Damn, I'm tired of seeing you racist ass ? get away with tying that word.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol... how fast do y'all think 911 travel. Dude was already a goner by the time they realized he was gonna drown. Even if they did, and yes I agree they should have... at best the only thing they could do was point out the general area where he was last seen and the body would've been recovered earlier.

And all y'all sayin they should've swam out or threw something to him either didn't watch the video or have terrible spatial awareness.

They ? up for laughing and recording but his death was his own fault
  • Inglewood_B
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mike030270 wrote: »
    They could have thrown something nearby if it floated

There was 80+ people on a beach in florida making a human chain to save a family from drowning last week

Even if they called and help didn't make it on time and the guy still drowned, people would have praised them for at least trying to help

Did it sound like 80+ people in that video to form a human chain? What exactly do you think a couple teenagers had on hand to throw to him? And do you seriously think they could've thrown it that far?

You could barely see dude in the video. If there was no sound and no one told you it was a man drowning you'd have no idea what that was in the water because he was so far away
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

His friend, David Cash Jr, "witnessed" (I believe, as do many others that he was a part of the crime, acting as a lookout) the crime and didn't report it, get a security guard, try to assist the little girl, nothing. His defense was that he had no obligation, legal or moral to help someone he didn't know.

He wasn't charged because at the time Nevada had no laws requiring bystanders to report crimes.

That sounds like an incompetent DA/prosecution more than anything.

Dude shouldn't have been considered a "bystander" if he was acting as a lookout.

I agree, that's what it sounded like to me and after reading the facts I don't see how he wasn't charged as an accessory..
  • Hevalisk
    Hevalisk Members Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lol... how fast do y'all think 911 travel. Dude was already a goner by the time they realized he was gonna drown. Even if they did, and yes I agree they should have... at best the only thing they could do was point out the general area where he was last seen and the body would've been recovered earlier.

And all y'all sayin they should've swam out or threw something to him either didn't watch the video or have terrible spatial awareness.

I don't think anyone in this thread expected them to be able to save dude, that's not the point.

It's the fact that they didn't even try(by calling 911), even though it would have required little effort on their part.

Plus, we didn't see what went down before the video started. If I see some dude that doesn't look in his right mind randomly wading out into the lake, I'm going to question him, and think about calling 911. But that's a moot point.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One day, the gravity of their inaction is going to weigh on them. It's going to haunt them.

I don't think they should be charged, what crime did they commit?

All I know is if it was my child laughing I would be so ashamed. I failed my child for them to lack such basic human decency.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't watch, but from what the video discrtipion is, to the racist ass comments on YouTube, Enough internet for me today. Starting to get tired of all this ? .
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Meh. When you live in a country that refuses to help its poor, heal its sick, care for its old, its no shock that people are in not rush to help others in need.

Right. If you think poor people who inherit their poverty are accountable for that, then enjoy inheriting death when I refuse to save your drowning ass.

Should have spent less time complaining about taxes and more time learning how to swim.

Social media, violence on tv and in music, violence in video games....something many if not most 14-16 year olds spend 90% of their free time with make them more familiar with death/violence thereby desensitizing some of them. Their living situations, family upbringing, rocky/traumatic life experiences also factor in.

The existence of a political party does not absolve a human from being a ? . Its a cop out and its weak. What u did was deflect.

It's not deflection at all. The fact of the matter is: values are subjective. But when you have white supremacist organizations fighting tooth and claw AGAINST the tendency for humans to help each other, then crying foul when that same cruelty manifests elsewhere where it disadvantages them, their own values are at odds with themselves. Creating cultures around such ideologies, and then wondering "Well how does this happen" is nothing short of unadulterated stupidity.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    brown321 wrote: »
    These kids ain't ? , but what is putting a case on them going to do?

These people here are wishing they could charge them with dudes death. And stupid ? support that ? .

Facts. These MFs completely disregarding how "well" 911 has worked for people especially Black people.

2nd. They also disregarding other ways to address these dudes' morals as opposed to trapping them up in the racist ass system... that don't give a ? about "911 / cops" killing they ass. Like they literally responsible for dudes' death.

Not even to address that they was allegedly high. Who the ? dialing 911 when they high.

The same laws MFs is supporting will be laws that'll be disproportionately used against Black people. These MFs saying "lock them up / charge them" like the justice system is fair or some ? . You really want MFs to be locked on some "moral"-type ? , like we share the same morals as the white people who make these laws ?

Yea that ? sound good til it's your cousin in that water. Only other way to address that is put em in the water and make em swim to the shore, ? them ? .

These ain't drug laws you talkin bout, this is basic human decency,

Them being high is a mitigating circumstance my ? .?........ sit your ass down son.

So you think I'd hold somebody else legally responsible for a relative's suicide ? Keep telling yourself that.

And you think I'd trust the system to apply that type of law fairly to Black people the way they handling laws now - foh.

Whatever tho, agree to disagree. As far as the MFs smoking weed, the point was they were high and somehow people seem to be holding then to logic of someone being sober.

No matter how you slice it, they didn't ? the dude, and the system is racist.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There's way too many reasons why you would call the police in that situation that go beyond the fact that it's the right thing to do. The video began with him in the water and lasted 3 min. People get pulled out of water and resuscitated often. Who knows how long they watched him before the recording started. Also, that man was missing for 4 days. Imagine if they had called police so his mother wouldn't have to worry for 4 days where her child was. Grieving process is a lot harder when your loved one's remains spent 4 days under water and now looks like a puffer fish
  • Go figure
    Options

It's not deflection at all. The fact of the matter is: values are subjective. But when you have white supremacist organizations fighting tooth and claw AGAINST the tendency for humans to help each other, then crying foul when that same cruelty manifests elsewhere where it disadvantages them, their own values are at odds with themselves. Creating cultures around such ideologies, and then wondering "Well how does this happen" is nothing short of unadulterated stupidity.

My issue isnt that the kids should face any type of discipline...they broke no laws.

I still fail to see the connection youre making. Just as u have white supremacist organizations "fighting against the tendency for humans to help each other" u have other groups/political organizations fighting FOR it.

A couple teens high/? and being cruel bystanders has absolutely nothing to do with kkk, alt right or trump. It also has nothing to do with democrats or black lives matter.

For each "cruel" video u find i can probably find 100 "rescue" videos in the same political climate we all share. How do u correlate this ? ?

If not a deflection its improper conflation.
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options
    when you have white supremacist organizations fighting tooth and claw AGAINST the tendency for humans to help each other

Give an example.of this ^^^
    then crying foul when that same cruelty manifests elsewhere where it disadvantages them

As it pertains to this ^^^^ in relation to the article

In other words, what white supremacist organization is being disadvantaged by the (in)actions of the teens in this article thereby crying foul for displaying the "same cruelty"?

How do u even make that connection?
  • Inglewood_B
    Options

There's way too many reasons why you would call the police in that situation that go beyond the fact that it's the right thing to do. The video began with him in the water and lasted 3 min. People get pulled out of water and resuscitated often. Who knows how long they watched him before the recording started. Also, that man was missing for 4 days. Imagine if they had called police so his mother wouldn't have to worry for 4 days where her child was. Grieving process is a lot harder when your loved one's remains spent 4 days under water and now looks like a puffer fish

Ok but my point is to all these people talkin about they should be charged.

And I'm sayin "For what?!" Being ? ? Far as I can tell that ain't a crime. And I don't want no precedent set on teenagers having their lives ruined for general teenage scumbag behavior.

• LUClEN
    Options

My issue isnt that the kids should face any type of discipline...they broke no laws.

I still fail to see the connection youre making. Just as u have white supremacist organizations "fighting against the tendency for humans to help each other" u have other groups/political organizations fighting FOR it.

A couple teens high/? and being cruel bystanders has absolutely nothing to do with kkk, alt right or trump. It also has nothing to do with democrats or black lives matter.

For each "cruel" video u find i can probably find 100 "rescue" videos in the same political climate we all share. How do u correlate this ? ?

People standing idly by while people suffer, whether from drowning or from destitute poverty, is essentially the same at its root. If people on the right are decrying it in this situation, solely because that could have been them or their family drowning, while giving zero ? in other situations, there's no consistency. Moreover, if they promote that kind of "survival of the fittest" nonsense in one scenario, I don't see them as having any room to talk when people decide not to help their fellow man in other scenarios.

• Inglewood_B
    edited July 2017
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Lets get something straight; Those teens had no obligation to jump in the water and try to save him, unless they were trained, licensed lifeguards. In fact, even if they were trained licensed lifeguards, unless they were ON DUTY, they had no obligation to jump in the water and try to save them.

But I feel that its Criminal Negligence because they watched a man drown and didn't call 911.

I understand that they weren't trained and didn't know how to save him (I'd bet most of the posters on the IC don't know how to save somebody from drowning) But all they had to do is call the police and tell them what happened.

Nah criminal negligence means you had some culpability in said crime or death(say if they had coerced this man out into the open water without a life jacket and knowing he couldn't swim)

That man was gonna die regardless, his death was his own fault. ? was reprehensible and bad form, but not illegal
  • Go figure
    Options

People standing idly by while people suffer, whether from drowning or from destitute poverty, is essentially the same at its root. If people on the right are decrying it in this situation, solely because that could have been them or their family drowning, while giving zero ? in other situations, there's no consistency. Moreover, if they promote that kind of "survival of the fittest" nonsense in one scenario, I don't see them as having any room to talk when people decide not to help their fellow man in other scenarios.

I think youre brushing everything with too broad a stroke

1) people of any political affiliation are "decrying" this

2) to some ppl its the raw display of cruelty/carelessness rather than "it could have been me or my family"

With your logic if all u do is work and support yourself and your family without doing anything to benefit the poor neighborhoods youre referring to means youre as much a part of the problem as "the right"
  • LUClEN
    Options

2) to some ppl its the raw display of cruelty/carelessness rather than "it could have been me or my family"

With your logic if all u do is work and support yourself and your family without doing anything to benefit the poor neighborhoods youre referring to means youre as much a part of the problem as "the right"

No, that's not my logic at all. I am a pretty socially reserved person: I basically just work and go to school and talk to like 3 people in my day at most. But I pay my taxes, I don't think welfare should be cut, I'm a very strong proponent of universalizing health care, and this removes any contradiction. Someone who thinks people should be helping each other is being consistent when they criticize these kid' actions (or lack thereof), but if someone is against helping their fellow man get life saving surgery under single payer health care they have no room to talk about kids refusing to risk their life to save a drowning man. Particularly when the costs are much greater when saving a drowning person.
  • Go figure
    Options

No, that's not my logic at all. I am a pretty socially reserved person: I basically just work and go to school and talk to like 3 people in my day at most. But I pay my taxes, I don't think welfare should be cut, I'm a very strong proponent of universalizing health care, and this removes any contradiction. Someone who thinks people should be helping each other is being consistent when they criticize these kid' actions (or lack thereof), but if someone is against helping their fellow man get life saving surgery under single payer health care they have no room to talk about kids refusing to risk their life to save a drowning man. Particularly when the costs are much greater when saving a drowning person.

Bruh...this is about the kids' reactions and posting it on social media...not about what donald trump and his voters think about healthcare.

"Save me im drowning!"

"Nah b, trump tryna get rid of obamacare, i aint gotta do ? " *points and laughs*
  • LUClEN
    Options
    What do you think spawns that kind of thinking? You think a culture of apathy just births itself? Why attack symptoms when we can criticize causes?

Oh cause they're black, gotcha. Give those kids life.

It was a ? damn pile driver. He knew what he was doing.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    brown321 wrote: »
    These kids ain't ? , but what is putting a case on them going to do?

These people here are wishing they could charge them with dudes death. And stupid ? support that ? .

Facts. These MFs completely disregarding how "well" 911 has worked for people especially Black people.

2nd. They also disregarding other ways to address these dudes' morals as opposed to trapping them up in the racist ass system... that don't give a ? about "911 / cops" killing they ass. Like they literally responsible for dudes' death.

Not even to address that they was allegedly high. Who the ? dialing 911 when they high.

The same laws MFs is supporting will be laws that'll be disproportionately used against Black people. These MFs saying "lock them up / charge them" like the justice system is fair or some ? . You really want MFs to be locked on some "moral"-type ? , like we share the same morals as the white people who make these laws ?

Yea that ? sound good til it's your cousin in that water. Only other way to address that is put em in the water and make em swim to the shore, ? them ? .

These ain't drug laws you talkin bout, this is basic human decency,

Them being high is a mitigating circumstance my ? .?........ sit your ass down son.

So you think I'd hold somebody else legally responsible for a relative's suicide ? Keep telling yourself that.

And you think I'd trust the system to apply that type of law fairly to Black people the way they handling laws now - foh.

Whatever tho, agree to disagree. As far as the MFs smoking weed, the point was they were high and somehow people seem to be holding then to logic of someone being sober.

No matter how you slice it, they didn't ? the dude, and the system is racist.

? them ? . They wack no matter what color they are. Got nothin to do with the system. The laws specifically aimed toward us don't even apply here, dead that. Stop bringing their sobriety into it, that sheds no light on the situation, they wasn't that damn high. And I couldn't care less what the system did to em, it ain't even about that. Some ? you gotta say out loud.....

The system is racist so don't charge em.

You ? man....
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Since when do people have a duty to help others?