Teens film and laugh at drowning man instead of calling for help!

Options

Comments

• MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    them ? probably couldnt swim..another stereotype the white man claims
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    What do you think spawns that kind of thinking? You think a culture of apathy just births itself?

How many hours a week u think 14-16 yr olds spend watching CNN/C-Span or nightly news?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe 1 or 2 at best. But they spend hours and hours surrounded by people who have absorbed these views for years.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be bothered by this, but if you don't see us as having a duty to help one another as citizens when it comes to other stuff, I probably won't take it seriously when you try to say these kids had a duty to act here.
  • Go figure
    Options
    Maybe 1 or 2 at best. But they spend hours and hours surrounded by people who have absorbed these views for years.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be bothered by this, but if you don't see us as having a duty to help one another as citizens when it comes to other stuff, I probably won't take it seriously when you try to say these kids had a duty to act here.

How many hours u think 14-16 yr olds spend watching worldstar or playing grand theft auto in a week?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    7figz wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    7figz wrote: »
    brown321 wrote: »
    These kids ain't ? , but what is putting a case on them going to do?

These people here are wishing they could charge them with dudes death. And stupid ? support that ? .

Facts. These MFs completely disregarding how "well" 911 has worked for people especially Black people.

2nd. They also disregarding other ways to address these dudes' morals as opposed to trapping them up in the racist ass system... that don't give a ? about "911 / cops" killing they ass. Like they literally responsible for dudes' death.

Not even to address that they was allegedly high. Who the ? dialing 911 when they high.

The same laws MFs is supporting will be laws that'll be disproportionately used against Black people. These MFs saying "lock them up / charge them" like the justice system is fair or some ? . You really want MFs to be locked on some "moral"-type ? , like we share the same morals as the white people who make these laws ?

Yea that ? sound good til it's your cousin in that water. Only other way to address that is put em in the water and make em swim to the shore, ? them ? .

These ain't drug laws you talkin bout, this is basic human decency,

Them being high is a mitigating circumstance my ? .?........ sit your ass down son.

So you think I'd hold somebody else legally responsible for a relative's suicide ? Keep telling yourself that.

And you think I'd trust the system to apply that type of law fairly to Black people the way they handling laws now - foh.

Whatever tho, agree to disagree. As far as the MFs smoking weed, the point was they were high and somehow people seem to be holding then to logic of someone being sober.

No matter how you slice it, they didn't ? the dude, and the system is racist.

? them ? . They wack no matter what color they are. Got nothin to do with the system. The laws specifically aimed toward us don't even apply here, dead that. Stop bringing their sobriety into it, that sheds no light on the situation, they wasn't that damn high. And I couldn't care less what the system did to em, it ain't even about that. Some ? you gotta say out loud.....

The system is racist so don't charge em.

You ? man....

I'm done bro. You want to downplay / ignore whatever don't support your POV. Now you supposedly know just how high they was ? Ok.

So what's to say the law saying you have to call 911 won't used to charge a bystander to somebody smoking weed ?

I'm not even sticking up for these dudes. If you think ? is this simple in America, you probably short-sighted.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    10-20. That's just a guess though. It could be more or it could be less.

The existence of worldstar doesn't mean that there is no contradiction in America's beliefs here, just so you know. Either we see ourselves as having a duty to help others, or we do not. By and large, America does not seem to think that duty exists, and from what my web search shows there are not many laws that say that it exists.

• Go figure
    Options

The existence of worldstar doesn't mean that there is no contradiction in America's beliefs here, just so you know. Either we see ourselves as having a duty to help others, or we do not. By and large, America does not seem to think that duty exists, and from what my web search shows there are not many laws that say that it exists.

Bruh we're talkin about 14-16 yr olds. A highly impressionable age group.

2 hrs/
    week watching the news vs 20 hrs playing/watching violence

What do u think has a greater effect on them in terms of desensitization?
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »

2 hrs/

That assumes that the news is the only outlet where these ideologies manifest, which is far from true. The overarching social framework perpetuates these ideas in its laws, social mores, folkways, etc. It's bigger than that though, because now it's a legal issue. This is a matter of what is punishable. We can't mandate that people have a duty to help each other, but at the same time also say ? other people if your poor/elderly/sick/handicapped/? /transgender/illegal/etc
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And this ? was in Florida too. Those kids probably assumed that lake/pond was full of gators. That mightve contributed to the "Nah I'm not jumping in after yo ? ! LOL."
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about the son of that Australian chick who just got killed by the cops when she called 911 ?

Think he should be obligated to "call 911" too ?
  • Go figure
    Options

2 hrs/

That assumes that the news is the only outlet where these ideologies manifest

So then where else do u think your average 14-16 yr old learns about single payer health coverage and white supremacist organizations?

Is maybe social studies class making these kids apathetic as well?
  • mike030270
    mike030270 Members Posts: 29 ✭✭
    Options
    mike030270 wrote: »
    They could have thrown something nearby if it floated

There was 80+ people on a beach in florida making a human chain to save a family from drowning last week

Even if they called and help didn't make it on time and the guy still drowned, people would have praised them for at least trying to help

Did it sound like 80+ people in that video to form a human chain? What exactly do you think a couple teenagers had on hand to throw to him? And do you seriously think they could've thrown it that far?

You could barely see dude in the video. If there was no sound and no one told you it was a man drowning you'd have no idea what that was in the water because he was so far away

Doesn't need 80 people to help. That was the point. I doubt they had anything on them that would float to help. Looked like they were near the woods though. I could always find big ass branches in the woods when I was a kid. Get knee high in the water and reach with it. May not work out but it's something. Better than doing nothing but mocking the man drowning
  • LUClEN
    edited July 2017
    Options

2 hrs/

So then where else do u think your average 14-16 yr old learns about single payer health coverage and white supremacist organizations?

I don't get how you don't understand the basic concept of duty. America, by and large, doesn't see helping others as something people are obligated to do; these kids did not have a duty to do ? . If the law says they do have a duty to risk their well being for other people, then we have that duty in other scenarios. In other scenarios we do not, so we do not have a duty here.
  • Go figure
    Options

2 hrs/

I don't get how you don't understand the basic concept of duty. America, by and large, doesn't see helping others as something people are obligated to do; these kids did not have a duty to do ? . If the law says they do have a duty to risk their well being for other people, then we have that duty in other scenarios. In other scenarios we do not, so we do not have a duty here.

Im not arguing whether they have a duty or not. I dont think they do either. We never disagreed there. What they did was distasteful but not criminal.

My argument is the teens actions have nothing to do with the politics that u brought into the thread. Them being scumbags and laughing at a dying person in imminent danger has nothing to with whos holding office.
  • LUClEN
    Options

2 hrs/

Im not arguing whether they have a duty or not. I dont think they do either. We never disagreed there. What they did was distasteful but not criminal.

My argument is the teens actions have nothing to do with the politics that u brought into the thread. Them being scumbags and laughing at a dying person in imminent danger has nothing to with whos holding office.

It does when the person currently in office makes fun of handicapped people and robs millions of life-saving health care. We cannot be both in favour of this kind of behaviour and against it: we need to pick a side and be consistent. If we are bothered by what happened in this story, which you seem to be, then the right-wing criticism I made here is fitting.
  • Go figure
    Options

2 hrs/

It does when the person currently in office makes fun of handicapped people and robs millions of life-saving health care. We cannot be both in favour of this kind of behaviour and against it: we need to pick a side and be consistent. If we are bothered by what happened in this story, which you seem to be, then the right-wing criticism I made here is fitting.

So if this had happened before the election where would u place the blame?
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options

2 hrs/

From their parents, teachers, uncles, aunts, grandparents, etc who are influenced by ppl like Trump and Romney who like to portray themselves as self made and the poor as the "takers"

Then film, tv, video games, etc reinforce and help perpetuate American individualism or rather this idea that comfort and success result from personal qualities and white supremacy as well

It fosters apathy, a me first attitude, and resentment for certain segments of the society...

Consider the way blk ppl are portrayed in film and tv with negative stereotypes for example

Or the way the needy and or poor are portrayed as the takers or lazy or irresponsible

Its really not hard to see

And evident in the way most mainstream americans respond coldly to incidences of police misconduct when the victim is blk and or poor

Or the fact that most americans don't believe healthcare should be a right
  • Go figure
    Options

2 hrs/

From their parents, teachers, uncles, aunts, grandparents, etc

And same as you have ppl like Trump and Romney who like to portray themselves as self made and the poor as the "takers"

Film, tv, video games, etc reinforce and help perpetuate American individualism or rather this idea that comfort and success result from personal qualities and white supremacy as well

And i would agree it does foster apathy and resentment for certain segments of the society

Consider the way blk ppl are portrayed in film and tv with negative stereotypes for example

Or the way the needy and or poor are portrayed as the takers or lazy or irresponsible

And evident in the way most mainstream americans respond coldly to incidences of police misconduct when the victim is blk and or poor

So with all that said...do u think this is the fault of a single political party?

Also consider trump's approval rating is the lowest for any president in america's history if we are going to draw those parallels
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

2 hrs/

So if this had happened before the election where would u place the blame?

This effort to demonize and mock the poor, ppl considered "other" or "different" existed way before trump entered politics
  • LUClEN
    Options

2 hrs/

And same as you have ppl like Trump and Romney who like to portray themselves as self made and the poor as the "takers"

Film, tv, video games, etc reinforce and help perpetuate American individualism or rather this idea that comfort and success result from personal qualities and white supremacy as well

And i would agree it does foster apathy and resentment for certain segments of the society

So with all that said...do u think this is the fault of a single political party?

Also consider trump's approval rating is the lowest for any president in america's history if we are going to draw those parallels

I never blamed a political party, I blamed a specific kind of thinking. It's more than just libertarians and Republicans.
  • Go figure
    Options

2 hrs/

I never blamed a political party, I blamed a specific kind of thinking. It's more than just libertarians and Republicans.

Page 1 post 8
    I blame the political right for this

• LUClEN
    edited July 2017
    Options
    There is no party called the right party. Right is a term that refers to conservative, individualist politics. There are many different parties that fit that bill.
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ask myself "How is this even a conversation?" On the IC more than anywhere else in my life.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Options

2 hrs/

What happened with the man is an extreme case

And no one party, movie, game is responsible

Its a combination of things

But the Right does a lot to push certain narratives and ideas that foster apathy
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since when do people have a duty to help others?
    When they become Christian. But it's still understood to be voluntary.