Teens film and laugh at drowning man instead of calling for help!

Options

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Go figure wrote: »
    7figz wrote: »
    So all 3 of yall agree that they shouldn't be charged but you just don't see a connection between politics and ? like this ?

I think the point they're trying to make is that people having been becoming more apathetic and generally on some ? up ? , and that's evident in electing a person like Trump who is apathetic about anything he doesn't agree with and also generally '? up'. Just my quick interpretation.

I dont really know if there is a correlation but that definitely appeared to be the election that apathy reached uncontrollable proportions. So many didnt bother to vote in such an obvious election...I guess you can draw a parallel they didnt bother to do anything in such an obvious situation here too. Havent seen footage but what was he doing in the middle of a lake? Especially if he couldnt swim dont know if he could or couldnt.

My question is had those same teens rescued him would it be attributed to politics or their character?

Those aren't nearly as separate as you seem to be implying. If you don't think you're character is shaped by your ideology then you won't see these things as connected.

It was a yes or no answer

had those same teens rescued him would it be attributed to politics or their character?

I would attribute it to a more leftist ideology, which is part and parcel of their character. Again, these things aren't separated into neat little divisions like some kind of Freudian model of the Mind.

So any time u see a rescue vid u think to yourself...hell yea for leftist ideology!!

Anytime I see collectivism and selflessness I associate it with the left.

Nah sounds more to me like taking all accountability away from the individual. When something bad happens, blame the guys u dont like not the ppl involved.

People and situations are more complex than "i blame [insert ideology here]"

I am absolutely thinking beyond the individual. I thought I made that clear. The individual is only responsible for so much. We are born into a world we do not choose and are exposed to ideas and values that we have no control over. These play such a big role in shaping how we think, which influences how we behave, that at a certain point we have to look beyond the individual when look at their behaviour and its causes.
    Maybe they have ? parents
    Maybe they were shook and were masking it
    Maybe they didnt think he would actually drown
    Maybe they thiught someone else was callin 911

1. "? parents" are more often than not a product of poor family planning, which is a consequence of generational poverty, inadequate education, and other issues that have deep roots in systemic failings the right continues to make worse

2. I'm not sure they would have been so cavalier about this if they were truly afraid.

3. They implied that he was going to die.

4. This is possible.

I never said there is a causal relationship between the existence of individualism and a refusal to help people. What I am saying is that the existence and promotion of individualism, which has long preceded Trump, Bush, and even Reagan, is contradictory to the promotion of some kind of citizen's duty that we have to help people. If we want to send the message that people should be acting on these kinds of duties, then we need to terminate those ideologies, otherwise we are sending mixed messages. Any system of law that tries to uphold two views that directly contradict each other will inevitably fall into disrepute.

But the problem with that is if people feel like they should have helped, then they would jump in the water and drown trying to save the guy that was drowning because they're not trained lifeguards.

At the end of the day, they should have called 911.

They SHOULD have done more, in a perfect world. They had no duty to, though. The fact that they had to dig up some old statute, which may not even apply here, is evidence of this. Look at the article in the OP:
    I agree they don’t have to help, but they should have called 9-1-1

Why would they have to call 9-1-1 but not help? I don't see the logic here, and none of the people in the article explain it.
    “May this tragic incident, which has shocked all of us, cause each of us to examine ourselves and our responsibility to one another"

If we have a responsibility to each other why is it not laid out in law? Why does it not exist when it's time to help the poor? Why does it entail calling 9-1-1, which would have been useless anyway given their poor response times, but does not include actually helping the poor schmuck before he drowns?

this idea they SHOULD have done anything is way too unclear to mean anything.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Lucien wrote:

Right so both political ideologies exist at the same time. What causes a person to (sub)consciously choose to act within the characteristics of one ideology over the other?
  • LUClEN
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Lucien wrote:

Right so both political ideologies exist at the same time. What causes a person to (sub)consciously choose to act within the characteristics of one ideology over the other?

That's above my pay grade.

But if we say that both are legitimate and acceptable, and someone behaves in a way that is more inline with one than the other, and then this behaviour is deemed unacceptable and deserving of punishment, then it clearly is not as acceptable as we've implied. The people interviewed in the article talk about our responsibility to help others. If that exists then my criticism is only fitting as it works along the same reasoning.
  • Go figure
    Options
    Lucien wrote:

That's above my pay grade.

But if we say that both are legitimate and acceptable, and someone behaves in a way that is more inline with one than the other, and then this behaviour is deemed unacceptable and deserving of punishment, then it clearly is not as acceptable as we've implied. The people interviewed in the article talk about our responsibility to help others. If that exists then my criticism is only fitting as it works along the same reasoning.

All your answers sound less about how u truly feel and more reactionary to how other people feel which comes off as more spiteful or defensive than genuine
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Calling 911 would not have been useless. Calling emergency services could have very well ended in a rescue. It's possible that they may have been in the area. Somebody close by could have been monitoring a CB radio. They may have made it in time. Who knows? Those teens didn't even try. Calling 911 at the very least would have insured that that black man ( who lived under the same system as those teens btw) would have been recovered decently instead of purifying in the hot Florida Sun. Calling 911 would have been far from useless.
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    Calling 911 would not have been useless. Calling emergency services could have very well ended in a rescue. It's possible that they may have been in the area. Somebody close by could have been monitoring a CB radio. They may have made it in time. Who knows? Those teens didn't even try. Calling 911 at the very least would have insured that that black man ( who lived under the same system as those teens btw) would have been recovered decently instead of purifying in the hot Florida Sun. Calling 911 would have been far from useless.

Why should they care if the white man dont care?
    -lucien logic
  • LUClEN
    edited July 2017
    Options

People wanna half step all the ? way. Why obligate people to have a duty to do useless ? when we could obligate them to actually help?

It's like the article says, people are just mad and want someone to blame. They had to dig up ? laws to satisfy the outcry, but these kids had no ? duty, and it's partially because we've legitimized rightist individualism that they don't.

Wanna be mad, be mad at the people who say it's fine to not give a ? .
  • LUClEN
    Options

Why should they care if the white man dont care?
    -lucien logic

"I'ma pretend words are penises and put them in mens mouths"
    - go figure
  • Go figure
    Options

People wanna half step all the ? way. Why obligate people to have a duty to do useless ? when we could obligate them to actually help?

It's like the article says, people are just mad and want someone to blame. They had to dig up ? laws to satisfy the outcry, but these kids had no ? duty, and it's partially because we've legitimized rightist individualism that they don't.

Last thing here

Sounds like u are assuming the only ppl decrying the situation follow right wing ideologies.

One can be left leaning and still decry it

Or they can be left leaning and still believe they have no duty to do anything...just like u

The point is.....it makes no difference how u lean, its only deflection
  • LUClEN
    Options

Last thing here

Sounds like u are assuming the only ppl decrying the situation follow right wing ideologies.

Or they can be left leaning and still believe they have no duty to do anything...just like u

Florida voted hugely in favour of right wing politics last election, despite its huge Cuban population (or maybe because of it). Now they want to ? laws that obligate people to help? Miss me with this faux outrage, pretend to be a good Samaritan nonsense

Look at the ? the people pushing for these kids to be tried are saying:
    “If they can sit there and watch somebody die in front of their eyes, imagine what they’re going to do when they get older”

So what about these right wingers who can watch people die without healthcare and do nothing? I guess they're punishable, too right? But no, that would demand some consistency in what it is people value.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sister is on some conspiracy ? .

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1275639079229734&id=100003509633509

Can't copy and paste.

Simone Scott is her name
  • LUClEN
    Options
    brown321 wrote: »
    Sister is on some conspiracy ? .

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1275639079229734&id=100003509633509

Can't copy and paste.

Simone Scott is her name

That link doesn't work fam
  • Go figure
    Options

Last thing here

Florida voted hugely in favour of right wing politics last election, despite its huge Cuban population (or maybe because of it). Now they want to ? laws that obligate people to help? Miss me with this faux outrage, pretend to be a good Samaritan nonsense

“If they can sit there and watch somebody die in front of their eyes, imagine what they’re going to do when they get older”

So what about these right wingers who can watch people die without healthcare and do nothing? I guess they're punishable, too right? But no, that would demand some consistency in what it is people value.

No faux outrage, good samaritan ? here. For maybe the 3rd or 4th time now...i believe the kids shouldnt face any charges or disciplinary action. Again, thats never been my argument here.

And for those right wingers u are referring to...there are people that "decry" that too. Basically any networks not named FoxNews does so. Not even mentioning SNL and other forms of entertainment that mock trump.

So "the right wing exists" is not a good enough excuse, bc the left wing exists as well.

Their (in)actions were their choice.
  • LUClEN
    edited July 2017
    Options

Last thing here

No faux outrage, good samaritan ? here. For maybe the 3rd or 4th time now...i believe the kids shouldnt face any charges or disciplinary action. Again, thats never been my argument here.

I never levied my criticism towards you. I don't know why you've injected yourself into it.
    And for those right wingers u are referring to...there are people that "decry" that too. Basically any networks not named FoxNews does so. Not even mentioning SNL and other forms of entertainment that mock trump.

So "the right wing exists" is not a good enough excuse, bc the left wing exists as well.

You just don't get it.

This is my last post.

p1: Leftist politics say you should help people
    p2: rightist politics say you have no duty to help people
    p3: both are acceptable in the current climate
    p4: these kids did not help someone
    C1: These kids refusing to help someone is not unacceptable according to the acceptance of rightist politics

P5: these kids not helping is actually unacceptable
    p2[again]: rightist politics say you have no duty to help people
    C2: Rightist politics are unacceptable

It's a very simple line of logic.
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I know it's ? up but the way the one young boy said "he just died" had me crying. Lol. Lord forgive me.
  • Go figure
    Options

Last thing here

I never levied my criticism towards you. I don't know why you've injected yourself into it.

You just don't get it.

This is my last post.

p1: Leftist politics say you should help people
    p2: rightist politics say you have no duty to help people
    p3: both are acceptable in the current climate
    p4: these kids did not help someone
    C1: These kids refusing to help someone is not unacceptable according to the acceptance of rightist politics

P5: these kids not helping is actually unacceptable
    p2[again]: rightist politics say you have no duty to help people
    C2: Rightist politics are unacceptable

It's a very simple line of logic.

And how much of that ? u just wrote do u think was actually goin thru those kids minds?

Exactly

At least ull stop postin
  • Go figure
    Options
    "Look what those kids did!!"

"Yea but what about what the right wing is doing!"

If everyone thought like u society and personal relationships would never progress
  • LUClEN
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether or not they were conscious of it.

Your reasoning skills are bad. Shadyteam bad.
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether or not they were conscious of it.

So ? forbid someone inflict harm on u or your loved ones...and instead of seeking justice u rant to your family about right wing ideologies and single payer health coverage.

And the dude says..."im fully aware of my actions and have no regret"

Lucien: "Damn uuuuu trump!!!"
  • LUClEN
    Options
    These kids never inflicted harm. There is a huge difference between causing harm, and not fulfilling a duty to help.

Your analogy fails.
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options
    These kids never inflicted harm. There is a huge difference between causing harm, and not fulfilling a duty to help.

Your analogy fails.

Inflicting harm on someone for personal gain (car jack, strong arm robbery) is about as apathetic as it gets. U couldnt care less for this life, u want their money/property n will ? if need be.

Like how the right wing steal from the poor to enrich themselves and in turn make those neighborhoods violent due to poverty they cause. If those ppl werent poor thered be less violence, as the right wingers remain indifferent to do anything.

From your logic these are the same things no?
  • LUClEN
    edited July 2017
    Options

Your analogy fails.

Inflicting harm on someone for personal gain (car jack, strong arm robbery) is about as apathetic as it gets. U couldnt care less for this life, u want their money/property n will ? if need be.

Like how the right wing steal from the poor to enrich themselves and in turn make those neighborhoods violent due to poverty they cause. If those ppl werent poor thered be less violence, as the right wingers remain indifferent to do anything.

No. Those imply different kinds of moral and legal culpability. They're both kinds of apathy, I agree with that, but the person who inflicts harm is infringing on someone's negative rights rather than someone's positive rights.
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options

Your analogy fails.

No. Those imply different kinds of moral and legal culpability. They're both kinds of apathy, I agree with that, but the person who inflicts harm is infringing on someone's positive rights rather than someone's negative rights.

But the logic still applies. Since the right wing will take from someone for personal gain while devaluing their life to the extent of death, if citizen a does it to citizen b, it must be a manifestation of right wing ideology.

U cant apply it only when convenient. If someone robbed u like the right wing robs the poor, u wouldnt rant at trump, u would hold the offending individual accountable.

Again this analogy is by your logic.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    The right wing isn't taking it. They already have it. They are denying help to those around them. That is what makes it comparable to this scenario and incomparable to yours.
  • Go figure
    Options
    The right wing isn't taking it. They already have it. They are denying help to those around them. That is what makes it comparable to this scenario and incomparable to yours.

Yes and its in their ideology that in order to have it u must take it. Why do we always hear "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer"?

Because they stopped taking?

Gentrification....is that taking or they already have those neighborhoods?