Teens film and laugh at drowning man instead of calling for help!

Options

Comments

• Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    Not sure exactly what their particular argument is about but nothing etherous here. The dude said the election of Trump is an example of the way some people have become... not that it's Trump's fault. If anything that's saying that people were already like that before Trump.

See also

188g01qe9ale.jpg
    u3zeebwwhrqo.jpg

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So all 3 of yall agree that they shouldn't be charged but you just don't see a connection between politics and ? like this ?

I think the point they're trying to make is that people having been becoming more apathetic and generally on some ? up ? , and that's evident in electing a person like Trump who is apathetic about anything he doesn't agree with and also generally '? up'. Just my quick interpretation.
  • Go figure
    Options
    So all 3 of yall agree that they shouldn't be charged but you just don't see a connection between politics and ? like this ?

I think the point they're trying to make is that people having been becoming more apathetic and generally on some ? up ? , and that's evident in electing a person like Trump who is apathetic about anything he doesn't agree with and also generally '? up'. Just my quick interpretation.

"I blame the political right"

Is ignorant. Point blank.
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options

I dont really know if there is a correlation but that definitely appeared to be the election that apathy reached uncontrollable proportions. So many didnt bother to vote in such an obvious election...I guess you can draw a parallel they didnt bother to do anything in such an obvious situation here too. Havent seen footage but what was he doing in the middle of a lake? Especially if he couldnt swim dont know if he could or couldnt.
  • Go figure
    Options

I dont really know if there is a correlation but that definitely appeared to be the election that apathy reached uncontrollable proportions. So many didnt bother to vote in such an obvious election...I guess you can draw a parallel they didnt bother to do anything in such an obvious situation here too. Havent seen footage but what was he doing in the middle of a lake? Especially if he couldnt swim dont know if he could or couldnt.

My question is had those same teens rescued him would it be attributed to politics or their character?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah - same here. I'm wondering how the ? he made it out to the middle. Somebody on another site said dude was only physically disabled as in he walked with a limp.

And agree about the the election, not to mention other precedents it set.

My thing is watching it with what laws we get behind when we see how it's always used against us. This, to me, is some ? that should be addressed in a different way. There's also people out here who think people should be charged with a crime simply because of filming it - not even necessarily death, just these viral fights we see.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    LUClEN wrote: »
    My argument still holds even if you remove Trump or any president for that matter. Nixon, Regan, Bush, McCain, Limbaugh, Laren, DeVos... Pick a right winger, any right winger. Many of their views are still in direct conflict with the notion that we have a duty to help our fellow man

You guys are so desperate to refute the argument you can't even address it. You're reaching at the air.

Do u have an apathy meter we dont know about?

One can argue the murder rate in the highest poverty stricken neighborhoods have a high rate of apathy.

With that said, those conditions exist regardless of "left or right wing"

Do u disagree?

Left wing politics aim to remove that income inequality through wealth distribution while right wing politics perpetuates it through tax cuts and cutting of social programs. So no.
  • LUClEN
    Options

My question is had those same teens rescued him would it be attributed to politics or their character?

Those aren't nearly as separate as you seem to be implying. If you don't think you're character is shaped by your ideology then you won't see these things as connected.
  • LUClEN
    Options

Except you've failed to prove that it's based on a lack of knowledge. All you've done is proven the epistemological shortcomings of your own views.
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options

Those aren't nearly as separate as you seem to be implying. If you don't think you're character is shaped by your ideology then you won't see these things as connected.

Its a yes or no answer

had those same teens rescued him would it be attributed to politics or their character?
  • LUClEN
    Options

It was a yes or no answer

had those same teens rescued him would it be attributed to politics or their character?

I would attribute it to a more leftist ideology, which is part and parcel of their character. Again, these things aren't separated into neat little divisions like some kind of Freudian model of the Mind.
  • Go figure
    Options

I would attribute it to a more leftist ideology, which is part and parcel of their character. Again, these things aren't separated into neat little divisions like some kind of Freudian model of the Mind.

So any time u see a rescue vid u think to yourself...hell yea for leftist ideology!!
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options

Except you've failed to prove that it's based on a lack of knowledge. All you've done is proven the epistemological shortcomings of your own views.

Nah sounds more to me like taking all accountability away from the individual. When something bad happens, blame the guys u dont like not the ppl involved.

People and situations are more complex than "i blame [insert ideology here]"

Maybe they have ? parents
    Maybe they were shook and were masking it
    Maybe they didnt think he would actually drown
    Maybe they thiught someone else was callin 911
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Huey_C wrote: »
    (Nope) wrote: »
    10-20. That's just a guess though. It could be more or it could be less.

The existence of worldstar doesn't mean that there is no contradiction in America's beliefs here, just so you know. Either we see ourselves as having a duty to help others, or we do not. By and large, America does not seem to think that duty exists, and from what my web search shows there are not many laws that say that it exists.

Bruh we're talkin about 14-16 yr olds. A highly impressionable age group.

2 hrs/
    week watching the news vs 20 hrs playing/watching violence

What do u think has a greater effect on them in terms of desensitization?

That assumes that the news is the only outlet where these ideologies manifest

So then where else do u think your average 14-16 yr old learns about single payer health coverage and white supremacist organizations?

Is maybe social studies class making these kids apathetic as well?

I don't get how you don't understand the basic concept of duty. America, by and large, doesn't see helping others as something people are obligated to do; these kids did not have a duty to do ? . If the law says they do have a duty to risk their well being for other people, then we have that duty in other scenarios. In other scenarios we do not, so we do not have a duty here.

Im not arguing whether they have a duty or not. I dont think they do either. We never disagreed there. What they did was distasteful but not criminal.

My argument is the teens actions have nothing to do with the politics that u brought into the thread. Them being scumbags and laughing at a dying person in imminent danger has nothing to with whos holding office.

Yes it does.

So if this had happened while obama was in office would u blame him?

American's were unapologetically individualistic during Obama's presidency. We are discussing broader social philosophical leanings, and the election of Trump is just a manifestation and confirmation of that.

These children are imitating behavior that has been modeled in various arenas and deemed desirable.

That doesn't absolve them of guilt. But they are a symptom, not the disease.

Until we come together en masse and decide that accountability includes the well-being of others, then there is nothing aberrant about their behavior.

5 Grand wrote: »
    So let me get this straight; Its Donald Trumps fault that that man drowned and the kids didn't call 911?

Nobody mentioned Donald Trump. It's the kind of selfish, uncaring, apathetic beliefs that exist on the right side of the political spectrum that coincide with and support the unwillingness to help that we see in this video.

How is that ether?

That other guy asked me a question and I answered. You're either not reading or ignoring context.

The existence of worldstar doesn't mean that there is no contradiction in America's beliefs here, just so you know. Either we see ourselves as having a duty to help others, or we do not. By and large, America does not seem to think that duty exists, and from what my web search shows there are not many laws that say that it exists.

2 hrs/

So then where else do u think your average 14-16 yr old learns about single payer health coverage and white supremacist organizations?

I don't get how you don't understand the basic concept of duty. America, by and large, doesn't see helping others as something people are obligated to do; these kids did not have a duty to do ? . If the law says they do have a duty to risk their well being for other people, then we have that duty in other scenarios. In other scenarios we do not, so we do not have a duty here.

Im not arguing whether they have a duty or not. I dont think they do either. We never disagreed there. What they did was distasteful but not criminal.

My argument is the teens actions have nothing to do with the politics that u brought into the thread. Them being scumbags and laughing at a dying person in imminent danger has nothing to with whos holding office.

Yes it does.

American's were unapologetically individualistic during Obama's presidency. We are discussing broader social philosophical leanings, and the election of Trump is just a manifestation and confirmation of that.

These children are imitating behavior that has been modeled in various arenas and deemed desirable.

Until we come together en masse and decide that accountability includes the well-being of others, then there is nothing aberrant about their behavior.

"Americans were unapologetically individualistic during obama's presidency"

Are u attributing this to obama holding office?

Does obama fall under "the political right"?

Because if not, we can now file "i blame the political right" under "false statement"...at least you are being consistent tho

Again, please tell me under what system or set of ideas where apathy ceased to exist.

What is your argument?

I've said my piece. So this contrarian side of the dialectic--which you stay on--is unnecessary.

When was the argument about "apathy ceasing to exist?" Why the logical fallacy? It seems like you're trying to affirm the consequent and I'm not going. I was not axiomatic or absolute in my words. Nor did I proffer at any point in time apathy has ceased to exist. This is not an either/or situation. But to eschew the influence of those that dictate our living conditions is intellectually dishonest. Especially when speaking to accountability.

Do you just haphazardly stumble into the devil's advocate role of threads to keep us all intellectually honest?

Would you deny that right wing political and social philosophy is not inherently more individualistic?

Again what is your argument?
  • (Nope)
    Options

2 hrs/

Yes it does.

So let me get this straight; Its Donald Trumps fault that that man drowned and the kids didn't call 911?

Nobody mentioned Donald Trump. It's the kind of selfish, uncaring, apathetic beliefs that exist on the right side of the political spectrum that coincide with and support the unwillingness to help that we see in this video.

Not sure exactly what their particular argument is about but nothing etherous here. The dude said the election of Trump is an example of the way some people have become... not that it's Trump's fault. If anything that's saying that people were already like that before Trump.[/font]

My argument from the start was this has nothin to do with whos in office and they said yes it does.

So trump is a manifestation of this "apathy" and yet they said "people were unapologetically apathetic during obamas presidency"

So either obama is a manifestation of this apathy as well which means its not exclusive to right wing politics (making one of them wrong)

Or obamas not a manifestation meaning it has nothing to do with whos holding office. (Making both of them wrong)

They cosign each other while contradicting each other n the goal posts keep movin

You're full of ? my guy. And you continue to misconstrue my argument to earn Joe Rogan brownie points. And yes, by any metric, in a tangible way Obama was center of right. But there was clear context for his position, which you would likely ignore.

• Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options

....so anyone who disagrees with u is contrararian eh? What political ideology would u attribute that to?
  • (Nope)
    Options

2 hrs/

Yes it does.

Not sure exactly what their particular argument is about but nothing etherous here. The dude said the election of Trump is an example of the way some people have become... not that it's Trump's fault. If anything that's saying that people were already like that before Trump.

Yeah that doesn't fit his oppositional narrative tho.
  • (Nope)
    Options

Again, it is not either/or it can be both...

For instance, I've heard that some people walk and chew gum at the same time.

giphy.gif

• (Nope)
    Options

....so anyone who disagrees with u is contrararian eh? What political ideology would u attribute that to?

More absolutist ? .

But it's that way with you.
  • Go figure
    Options

giphy.gif

Right...which is why i said saying "i blame the political right" is ignorant bc theres much more that comes into play than that

Do u agree or disagree
  • (Nope)
    edited July 2017
    Options

giphy.gif

Right...which is why i said saying "i blame the political right" is ignorant bc theres much more that comes into play than that

Do u agree or disagree

That assertion can be correct without being all encompassing. IT IS NOT A YES OR NO QUESTION.

Are you denying that influence. Yes or no?

Or are you questioning the power attributed to that influence? Yes or no?
  • (Nope)
    Options
    Also, I agree the power of that influence is considerable. It is what this country is built on.
  • Go figure
    edited July 2017
    Options

giphy.gif

Do u agree or disagree

That assertion can be correct without being all encompassing. IT IS NOT A YES OR NO QUESTION.

Are you denying that influence. Yes or no?

Or are you questioning the power attributed to that influence? Yes or no?

No;no

If u check dudes first 2 posts...."i blame the political right"

Poster responds: theres a thing called accountability

Dudes second post: *obliterates accountability and pins it to white house*

In that case we should all say raising our children is futile unless we change the government bc they have a stronger influence than my house hold

I question whether yall have children, nieces or nephews close to u cuz it sounds like not
  • LUClEN
    Options

So any time u see a rescue vid u think to yourself...hell yea for leftist ideology!!

Anytime I see collectivism and selflessness I associate it with the left.

Nah sounds more to me like taking all accountability away from the individual. When something bad happens, blame the guys u dont like not the ppl involved.

I am absolutely thinking beyond the individual. I thought I made that clear. The individual is only responsible for so much. We are born into a world we do not choose and are exposed to ideas and values that we have no control over. These play such a big role in shaping how we think, which influences how we behave, that at a certain point we have to look beyond the individual when look at their behaviour and its causes.

1. "? parents" are more often than not a product of poor family planning, which is a consequence of generational poverty, inadequate education, and other issues that have deep roots in systemic failings the right continues to make worse

2. I'm not sure they would have been so cavalier about this if they were truly afraid.

3. They implied that he was going to die.

4. This is possible.

I never said there is a causal relationship between the existence of individualism and a refusal to help people. What I am saying is that the existence and promotion of individualism, which has long preceded Trump, Bush, and even Reagan, is contradictory to the promotion of some kind of citizen's duty that we have to help people. If we want to send the message that people should be acting on these kinds of duties, then we need to terminate those ideologies, otherwise we are sending mixed messages. Any system of law that tries to uphold two views that directly contradict each other will inevitably fall into disrepute.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anytime I see collectivism and selflessness I associate it with the left.

I am absolutely thinking beyond the individual. I thought I made that clear. The individual is only responsible for so much. We are born into a world we do not choose and are exposed to ideas and values that we have no control over. These play such a big role in shaping how we think, which influences how we behave, that at a certain point we have to look beyond the individual when look at their behaviour and its causes.

1. "? parents" are more often than not a product of poor family planning, which is a consequence of generational poverty, inadequate education, and other issues that have deep roots in systemic failings the right continues to make worse

2. I'm not sure they would have been so cavalier about this if they were truly afraid.

3. They implied that he was going to die.

4. This is possible.

I never said there is a causal relationship between the existence of individualism and a refusal to help people. What I am saying is that the existence and promotion of individualism, which has long preceded Trump, Bush, and even Reagan, is contradictory to the promotion of some kind of citizen's duty that we have to help people. If we want to send the message that people should be acting on these kinds of duties, then we need to terminate those ideologies, otherwise we are sending mixed messages. Any system of law that tries to uphold two views that directly contradict each other will inevitably fall into disrepute.

But the problem with that is if people feel like they should have helped, then they would jump in the water and drown trying to save the guy that was drowning because they're not trained lifeguards.

At the end of the day, they should have called 911.