Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    JJ has directed...

M.I.3
    Star Trek
    Super 8
    Star Trek: Into Darkness

While producing some others.. I don't see what's wrong with any of those movies he directed and enjoyed them all. I understand everyone not feeling the same way but I didn't leave watching any of the movies he directed feeling like it missed something. Even the other movies he's associated with as producer or writer that I've seen have been good, maybe not always ground breaking but still entertaining.

I know how something like LOST could have people feel some sort of way about it but for the most part the show was great. Until the end when it was meh. But that's most shows when it reaches over 120 episodes.

pete-shrug.gif
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so Gareth Edwards has been given one of the spin offs.

this guys career trajectory is insane.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    True story this movie needs it's own thread so all this stuff could just be posted in there.

nah just go to super hero hype i'm pretty sure they got it covered.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True story this movie needs it's own thread so all this stuff could just be posted in there.

nah just go to super hero hype i'm pretty sure they got it covered.

I've been posting on that site for 9 years now. But I'm avoiding the SW section altogether over there.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    with them deciding to ? on all the books and say there non cannon i don't have high hopes for this trilogy. i think they are about to trash star wars. I hope i'm wrong tho
    None canon? Wack.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S.jR. wrote: »
    JJ has directed...

M.I.3
    Star Trek
    Super 8

While producing some others.. I don't see what's wrong with any of those movies he directed and enjoyed them all. I understand everyone not feeling the same way but I didn't leave watching any of the movies he directed feeling like it missed something. Even the other movies he's associated with as producer or writer that I've seen have been good, maybe not always ground breaking but still entertaining.

I know how something like LOST could have people feel some sort of way about it but for the most part the show was great. Until the end when it was meh. But that's most shows when it reaches over 120 episodes.

pete-shrug.gif
    Super 8 was trash
  • S.jR.
    S.jR. Members Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S.jR. wrote: »
    JJ has directed...

M.I.3
    Star Trek
    Super 8

pete-shrug.gif
    Super 8 was trash

I recall streaming that because I didn't have really any expectations.. and I wasn't disappointed.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    Lupita Nyong’o and Gwendoline Christie Join ‘Star Wars Episode VII’

26-lupita-nonstop-550x320.jpg

Those who were upset that the first big wave of Star Wars Episode VII casting did not include more women can breathe a bit easier. Lupita Nyong’o and Gwendoline Christie have just been added to the cast.

Here’s the official release:

Lupita Nyong’o joins the recently announced cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. This year, her breakthrough performance in 12 Years a Slave earned her an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

Gwendoline Christie, currently starring in the hit television series Game of Thrones as Brienne of Tarth, has also been cast in the production. She can next be seen in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2.

“I could not be more excited about Lupita and Gwendoline joining the cast of Episode VII,” says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “It’s thrilling to see this extraordinarily talented ensemble taking shape.”

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the Saga Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    sw-7-17-480w_medium.jpg
    sw-7-20-480w_medium.jpg
    sw-7-16-480w_medium.jpg
    n-STAR-WARS-EPISODE-VII-large570.jpg
    sw-7-39-480w.jpg
    sw-7-06-480w.jpg
    sw-7-01-480w.jpg
    sw-7-09-480w.jpg
    sw-7-03-480w.jpg
    sw-7-32-480w.jpg
    sw-7-07-480w.jpg
    sw-7-13-480w.jpg
    sw-7-34-480w.jpg
    sw-7-33-480w.jpg

those are just extras but good to see that they are taking it back to tatooine.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shout out to lupita
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Yup. Lupita! *blasts "We Made It"*
    Let JJ cook , i will bet you it will be better than all the prequels

I wish I knew you in person so I could bet good money with you that it won't even be on the level of Episode III.

Oh and people could say what they want about the prequels but at least it was ALL George Lucas' independent vision. He didn't have to answer to anybody and got his actual vision as he wanted it on the screen. Like a true filmmaker. Jar Jar Abrams on the other hand won't have that luxury. He's just a hired hand paid to deliver the vision that Disney and franchise producers have for the series.

? i love Ep 3 and still insist the wackness of Matrix/Pirates/etc sequels basically vindicate the prequels as a whole, but......LOL @ anyone who seriously believes that Star Wars will somehow be worse off without George Lucas' WOAT ? dialogue ("I hate sand"? smfh) and complete over-reliance on CGI that looks laughable 10 years later. Don't give me that "independent vision" ? because we all know Lucas first wife made the Original Trilogy as great as it was by editing the films and scripts personally. Lucas is an utterly brilliant visionary, but he needs someone to keep his stupid ? in check and handle the heavy lifting of writing & directing. Period. I been saying for years that once other people started directing Star Wars films, they would be GOAT status...

• A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Episodes III was pretty ? dope.. don't know what people were expecting I'm not sure it could have been much better
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Episode III was good. The Prequel trilogy could have been good if Episodes I and II were merged and a movie that actually followed the events of the Clone Wars was the real Episode II.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like the fact that there are practical effects again and real landscapes and not cgi everywhere now all they need is to make sure to bring back one of the goat orchestra's.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

I wish I knew you in person so I could bet good money with you that it won't even be on the level of Episode III.

Oh and people could say what they want about the prequels but at least it was ALL George Lucas' independent vision. He didn't have to answer to anybody and got his actual vision as he wanted it on the screen. Like a true filmmaker. Jar Jar Abrams on the other hand won't have that luxury. He's just a hired hand paid to deliver the vision that Disney and franchise producers have for the series.

? i love Ep 3 and still insist the wackness of Matrix/Pirates/etc sequels basically vindicate the prequels as a whole, but......LOL @ anyone who seriously believes that Star Wars will somehow be worse off without George Lucas' WOAT ? dialogue ("I hate sand"? smfh) and complete over-reliance on CGI that looks laughable 10 years later. Don't give me that "independent vision" ? because we all know Lucas first wife made the Original Trilogy as great as it was by editing the films and scripts personally. Lucas is an utterly brilliant visionary, but he needs someone to keep his stupid ? in check and handle the heavy lifting of writing & directing. Period. I been saying for years that once other people started directing Star Wars films, they would be GOAT status...

Episode VII will not be as good as Episode III.
  • Broddie
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    I like the fact that there are practical effects again and real landscapes and not cgi everywhere now all they need is to make sure to bring back one of the goat orchestra's.

Prequels had practical effects too. This movie will use digital effects as well as practical ones like the prequels. John Williams is composing the new movie.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll see it because. ..it's ? Star Wars but my expectations are minimal
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They began shooting about a month ago.. Yet you already know how the final project will turn out?
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    J.J. Abrams Responds To The Recent STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Set Pic Leaks

BpS4EBRCMAAZvhE.jpg

By way of a response to the recent batch of leaked Star Wars set images that have found their way online, the director has posted a pic of his own to the Bad Robot Twitter account. As you'll see from the snap, he has a sense of humor about the whole thing at least..
    Follow Mark "RorMachine":
    View CBM Profile Follow on Twitter
    By Mark "RorMachine" Cassidy - 6/4/2014
    We recently had some pretty revealing images leak from the set of Star Wars: Episode VII, including a large pig-creature, various extras and pics of a currently under-construction Millennium Falcon. This has prompted the film's director to post a little pic of his own.

Embedded image permalink

In case you're having trouble with Abrams' handwriting, the pic says:

"I wish people would stop leaking photos from Episode VII. And making ridiculous claims that the Millennium Falcon is in the movie. – JJ"

Now if you're not a fan, or aren't too familiar with the interiors of the various space crafts in the Star Wars universe, you may not have noticed that the note has been placed in top of Dejarik table -- a sort of holographic chess game which is played by Chewbacca and R2-D2 in "A New Hope", and which is located in the Millennium Falcon. I guess it's nice to know he's not taking these leaks too seriously anyway.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    Not really excited as I thought I'd be. Especially with them abandoning the EU and doing their own thing.
    Everybody from the originals are old af. That's a horrible marketing scheme to try and get more views

Luke went on to become that ? no way Hamill old ass can pull that off

Was I the only one that watched the Clone Wars? ? was goat
    ? Disney for ending it

yea the EU was so much better, Leia became a jedi and birth twins who also because jedi's well one became a sith lord..or was that the grandson
  • Broddie
    Options

They began shooting about a month ago.. Yet you already know how the final project will turn out?

I don't have to listen to a Lil Wayne album to know it won't live up to rap standards.

JJ Abrams is a brand. I already know what that brand is capable of based on his resume. Bad Robot is just a geekier Platinum Dunes but they are just as hacky. Every single thing those guys put their hands on whether it's Kurtzman & Orci (The Legend of Zorro, Cowboys & Aliens), Damon Lindelof (Prometheus) and JJ himself (MI 3, Super 8) has been mediocre or just downright toxic and always derivative of superior works from other people.

So yeah with that in mind. Episode VII will not be as good as Episode III.
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    J.J. Abrams Responds To The Recent STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Set Pic Leaks

BpS4EBRCMAAZvhE.jpg

By way of a response to the recent batch of leaked Star Wars set images that have found their way online, the director has posted a pic of his own to the Bad Robot Twitter account. As you'll see from the snap, he has a sense of humor about the whole thing at least..
    Follow Mark "RorMachine":
    View CBM Profile Follow on Twitter
    By Mark "RorMachine" Cassidy - 6/4/2014
    We recently had some pretty revealing images leak from the set of Star Wars: Episode VII, including a large pig-creature, various extras and pics of a currently under-construction Millennium Falcon. This has prompted the film's director to post a little pic of his own.

Embedded image permalink

In case you're having trouble with Abrams' handwriting, the pic says:

"I wish people would stop leaking photos from Episode VII. And making ridiculous claims that the Millennium Falcon is in the movie. – JJ"

Now if you're not a fan, or aren't too familiar with the interiors of the various space crafts in the Star Wars universe, you may not have noticed that the note has been placed in top of Dejarik table -- a sort of holographic chess game which is played by Chewbacca and R2-D2 in "A New Hope", and which is located in the Millennium Falcon. I guess it's nice to know he's not taking these leaks too seriously anyway.

obviously the millennium falcon will be in the movie. han solo without the millennium falcon is sacrilege.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    he looks like he can still do a physical role and action scenes. he slightly resemble obi-wan also. I said slightly befor y'all attack me.