Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We don't know how physical his fight scenes will be anyway. Now that's he a jedi master (I assume) he'll know how to fight. Look at how Vader and the emperor fight in the original trilogy and notice how they don't do a ton of movement yet still fight well.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I aso wanted to ask since the filmmakers are doing away with the eu does this mean that we wont be seeing the new jedi academy?
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    New STAR WARS: EPISODE VII Set Image With 'R2-D2'; Next Film Will Shoot In London Too

BpzfTVBIUAIBz14.jpg:large

A new snap from the Star Wars set (posted by the UK's chancellor of the exchequer no less) has popped up online, and gives us another look at everyone's favorite little Astromech droid alongside director J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm President Kathy Kennedy.
    Sure we've had images of 'Artoo' on the Episode VII set before, but it's always nice to see more of his shiny little head. Plus, that's not all we have. The below image was posted to Twitter by the UK's chancellor of the exchequer George Osborne (no relation to Norman), who payed a visit to the set today -- and along with the pic her confirms that Disney/Lucasfilm will be returning to film another Star Wars flick at some stage. In a separate statement he revealed that this will be the first standalone film, which will be directed by Godzilla's Gareth Edwards.
    George Osborne ✔ @George_Osborne
    Follow
    On set of Episode VII tonight, can announce another #StarWars film will be made in UK. A #LongTermEconomicPlan in a galaxy far far away
    5:15 PM - 10 Jun 2014
    357 RETWEETS 187 FAVORITES

Retweet

Favorite
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    We don't know how physical his fight scenes will be anyway. Now that's he a jedi master (I assume) he'll know how to fight. Look at how Vader and the emperor fight in the original trilogy and notice how they don't do a ton of movement yet still fight well.

the emperor hardly does anything in the original trilogy except for force lightning. if they can use cgi to make luke and leia fight as well as count dooku yoda and palpatine did in the prequel trilogies then i'm all for it.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sources say Ford injured his pelvis and broke his ankle under the pressure of the Millennium Falcon and will miss 6-8 weeks of filming
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word? If that's true then I wonder what the Empire has been doing the last few decades and how they're able to clap back like that
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    they are rehashing the empire? man I don't think i'll like this. palpatine . the galaxy is supposed to be free.
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smmfh

a future with no black people

yall can have that, im gucci
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    Rian Johnson To Direct Star Wars Episodes 8 & 9

'Deadline announced just moments ago that Lucasfilm is striking a deal to have Looper director Rian Johnson direct Star Wars episodes VIII and IX. This is exciting news as we've been on team Rian Johnson since his lesser-known cult hit Brick and he's proven himself more than capable of taking on a highly commercial blockbuster. It's bittersweet news however, as this means J.J. Abrams will be out for the final two episodes. Hopefully, the shift between the very different style of these two directors won't be too jarring.

Look...Johnson is a capable director. But after all the Star Wars news, it feels like a letdown that J.J. is not running with the ball all the way to the end. What could possibly be more important? The bar will likely be set high with episode 7, so Rian better start doing his homework.'
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smmfh

a future with no black people

yall can have that, im gucci

It's not the future it takes place "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."
  • Broddie
    edited June 2014
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

'Deadline announced just moments ago that Lucasfilm is striking a deal to have Looper director Rian Johnson direct Star Wars episodes VIII and IX. This is exciting news as we've been on team Rian Johnson since his lesser-known cult hit Brick and he's proven himself more than capable of taking on a highly commercial blockbuster. It's bittersweet news however, as this means J.J. Abrams will be out for the final two episodes. Hopefully, the shift between the very different style of these two directors won't be too jarring.

Look...Johnson is a capable director. But after all the Star Wars news, it feels like a letdown that J.J. is not running with the ball all the way to the end. What could possibly be more important? The bar will likely be set high with episode 7, so Rian better start doing his homework.'

I really like this. A much more inspired choice than Abrams. If Abrams is a "hired gun" Johnson is more of an actual "auteur". More of a Nolan than a Michael Bay. Johnson has already proven to be better capable at competent sci-fi writing than Abrams has. He's a lot hungrier and much more imaginative too. Can't wait to see him cut his teeth in proving himself as a big budget director with those two movies. Now I only wish that he was doing VII as well.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good to hear Rian Johnson get the gig. I absolutely love Brick and he really impressed me with Looper. He could do well with Star Wars.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Good to hear Rian Johnson get the gig. I absolutely love Brick and he really impressed me with Looper. He could do well with Star Wars.

Ozymandias (Breaking Bad) is also one of the greatest episodes of any TV series ever made.

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

the only thing that worries me is that he's directing two. but I don't see why people are worried that JJ is only directing the first one, the original trilogy never had a director for more than one film. the prequel trilogy however, had George for all 3.
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    Possible New STAR WARS EPISODE VII Plot Details Revealed

Star-Wars-banner.jpg

Star Wars Episode VII is still well over a year away and the plot is currently Disney's worse kept secret with leaks coming in every week or so. Now it's BadAss Digest writer Devin Faraci's turn to give us some new details on the film's plot. Be warned though, if you're not a fan of even the mildest of spoilers, this isn't for you...

According to Faraci the film will open with the iconic Star Wars crawl but rather than the shot moving to a spaceship flying through space the camera will pan to a severed hand grasping a (Jedi) lightsaber. The weapon eventually lands on a desert planet where it is discovered by (eventual heroes) John Boyega and Daisy Ridley. Recognising it to be a Jedi relic they plan to return it to it's owners, taking them into space where they meet Han Solo and Chewbacca piloting a ship that is not the Millenium Falcon.

The pair recognise the lightsaber as Luke Skywalker's, however they haven't seen the Jedi since the events of Return Of The Jedi 30 years ago. This leads the film's protagonists on a search for Luke.

As for the film's villains, while he hasn't mentioned any names, Faraci claims that nefarious forces are creating a super weapon on an icy planet. The weapon is much more powerful than the original's Death Star, capable of destroying entire solar systems!

If true it looks like we'll be in for one odd ride when November of 2015 roles around. What do you think of the details? True or not false and regardless of their validity, do they interest you? Sign off your thoughts on the matter below!
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A weapon that can destroy an entire solar system?! Seems a bit overkill and unnecessary.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    A weapon that can destroy an entire solar system?! Seems a bit overkill and unnecessary.

Not really. If a star system has multiple inhabited worlds, a weapon like that would be the quickest way to deal with them all. It probably just attacks that system's sun and makes it go nova or something wiping out the system in the process.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yup in the EU there was tons of weapons that could whip out solar systems. If they were going that route thought I still think they should have made some of the EU canon. They didn't have to include the Vong or other ? people hated but I know Thrawn and few other arcs were in high regards of people .
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    like most movies that come out of Hollyweird
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    that ? about lukes severed hand landing on a planet. man it would have burned up on its way into the atmosphere. if mountain sized asteroids get reduced to rocks burning in a planetary atmosphere. how is a hand going to be intact. that scrip is ? .
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    ‘Star Wars Episode VII’ Villains Could Rewrite Franchise History

Vader-Palpatine.jpg

Rumors surrounding the villains of Star Wars Episode VII have been running rampant since before the cast was announced. Could Han Solo and Princess Leia’s kid become a Sith, much like in the Expanded Universe? Would Luke Skywalker himself turn to the dark side? When the cast was announced, we examined the photo trying to guess who the bad guy would be. Oscar Isaac? Adam Driver? We don’t know.

And honestly, we still don’t know for sure. But proven Star Wars scooper Latino Review has dropped a bomb of potential information about the Star Wars 7 villains. It’s a massive spoiler, that builds into a few other even bigger spoilers in regards to the plot, so beware.

Let’s start with the light spoilers, this according to Latino Review.

the-inquisitor-star-wars-rebels

Remember this article I wrote last week? It’s called, Why Does ‘Star Wars’ Need The Inquisitor If It Already Has Darth Vader? In it, I talked to Star Wars Rebels executive producer Dave Filoni about the main bad guy of Rebels, the Inquisitor. He told me the Inquisitor was just a ? of Darth Vader, a soldier to do the heavy lifting. Here’s a brief quote:

So many years [after The Clone Wars], [Jedi] are so few and far between that I don’t think [Darth Vader] would follow up every lead. Because one of the things that’s muddled the whole operation, in my mind, is kids being born that can use the Force. The Emperor and Vader don’t really want them around either. But they’re so unnoticeable, you needed a group of hunters, attack dogs. And so we have an Inquisitor that goes out and hunts these guys down.

So the Inquisitor, in Rebels, is someone who uses the Force, but isn’t a Sith. They serve the Sith. Which leads us to Episode VII.

Medium spoilers begin:

According to Latino Review, the Inquisitors are the villains of Star Wars Episode VII. “The Inquisitors are defenders of the Sith Order and they’ve been around for a long time. Just how long is what turns Episode VII’s story on it’s head.”

That’s a level one spoiler, now we get into even bigger spoilers.

When Han Solo, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley and Chewbacca finally find the missing Luke Skywalker (remember these plot spoilers?) he’s been captured by the Inquisitors. (Which actors play them, we don’t know yet. Driver? Gwendoline Christie?) Once he escapes, he tells his friends their story which leads to a…FLASHBACK. Yes, the rumors are reportedly true. The first flashback in Star Wars film history.

In that flashback, Carrie Fisher’s daughter Billie Lourd (remember she was rumored to be cast?) would play/provide the voice of a young Princess Leia, showing a time where the Inquisitors were being controlled by Darth Vader. Yes, according to Latino Review, Darth Vader does appear in Star Wars Episode VII.

Which brings us all the way back to Star Wars Rebels. Filoni gave us more information on what the Inquisitor does in the show:

He finds you, he analyzes you, even by fighting against them, saber to saber, he’s learning about you. Who taught you, where you came from, how old you are. Sometimes what your name is. Because they have all the records and he’s meticulously studied them.

But wait, do these Inquisitors have a leader? According to Badass Digest, yes.

There’s a main Inquisitor villain (I don’t know his name) Want to know what he looks like? He wears a black robe. His eyes are deep red. And half of his face is metal. He’s a cyborg. That was his hand in the picture JJ Abrams shared with the note about A Force For Change.

If this is all true, it’s a pretty radical departure from what we know about Star Wars. If Darth Vader was puppeteering an army of Inquisitors while also dealing with Luke Skywalker, and those Inquisitors survived, it means the Rebellion didn’t win at the end of Return of the Jedi. The enemy remained. That changes everything we’ve ever thought about Star Wars. It does what a great sequel should do: takes the story you’re expecting and flips it on its head.

So is it true? All the pieces fit. It stays in canon, while also expanding it. The story of the Skywalkers isn’t all that’s happening. More and more layers are being revealed we’re going to explore them.

You made it this far, so what do you think about all this? Do you like the idea of Inquisitors in Star Wars Episode VII? How do you feel about a potential flashback?
  • 1CK1S
    Options
    First Look At The Suspected Villain of Star Wars Episode VII

inquisitor.png?format=1000w

According the the infamous Latino Review...

"I hear, but cannot confirm, that some layoffs in the production run might be causing some of these unexpected leaks of actual content to hit the net. If you've already been fired, you can't be fired again, I guess? Either way, IndieRevolver seems to be tapped into these people, because they have a concept art photo of the "Sith Inquisitor," a half cyborg nightmare creature, looking at the broken helmet of Darth Vader. "

According to Indie Revolver.......

"It’s true that the main villain of Episode VII is a Sith Inquisitor. He’s tall and thin and terrifyingly creepy, with glowing red eyes to match his red lightsaber. He’s got some robotic upgrades, like Vader – but no mask. The cybernetic bits weave in and out of him. He’s got a human upper lip, a steel jaw… and the robotic hand that JJ Abrams posted an image of. As LR mentioned, we’ll see flashbacks in this movie which will show us Princess Leia as a young girl and Vader’s involvement with the Sith during his prime. This inquisitor has a fascination Vader through the movie’s timeline as well though – just look how he stares at Vader’s shattered helmet in this image."