"He Knew What He Signed Up For"

Options

Comments

• rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a news story! She mentored this man and his brother in her program when they were kids. Her being there was a double necessary. Obviously the wife recognized and allowed her to roll with them. Those white boys left that brother out there. That's the cover up. Said some beacon was activated B4 they left him. He was still alive.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/lara-trump-confirms-wilson-account-trump-call-widow
    Lara Trump Confirms Rep.’s Account Of POTUS’ Call, But Says It Lacked Context

Lara Trump on Friday backed up Rep. Frederica Wilson’s (D-FL) account of President Donald Trump’s phone call to the widow of a fallen soldier, even as she said she believed the congresswoman and the press took a comment that Wilson said was hurtful to the widow out of context.

Fox News host Ainsley Earhardt revealed during an interview on “Fox and Friends” that Trump, the wife of the President’s son Eric, had seen the transcript of the call. Trump described her father-in-law’s remark as coming during a broader comment on Sgt. La David Johnson’s commitment to serving his country.

“From what I have seen, this is a clear case of the media not doing their job. Whenever you read exactly what he said, he said ‘your husband went in to battle, you know, knowing that he could be injured, knowing that he could be killed and he still did it because he loves his country and he did it for the American people,'” Trump told Earhardt. “I can’t think of a better way, quite frankly, to express my gratitude to someone than by saying something like that. And yet they conveniently leave off the last part of what was said.”

Wilson said this week that when the President called Myeshia Johnson, the soldier’s widow, he told her that her husband “knew what he was signing up for.” Other people who heard the call confirmed that account, and White House Chief of Staff John Kelly backed it up Thursday when he told reporters that he’d advised Trump to tell Gold Star families that their lost loved ones knew what they had signed up for.

While Lara Trump argued that the President’s comments were simply made public without the full context, her father-in-law launched a far less nuanced attack on Wilson. He has repeatedly accused the congresswoman of lying, even after Kelly essentially confirmed Wilson’s story.

Eric Trump also took part in the interview, calling criticism of his father’s comments to Johnson “disgusting.”

“I think it shows the absolute worst of politics,” he said. “Here is the President of the United States calling to express his condolences on behalf of an incredibly grateful nation, and people turned it into a political item. To me, it’s disgusting.”

• stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-video-surfaces-disproving-kellys-attack-on-2015-rep-wilson-speech/
    WATCH: Video Surfaces Disproving Kelly’s Attack on 2015 Rep. Wilson Speech

A full video of Rep. Frederica Wilson’s speech at an FBI ceremony in 2015 has been re-published by the South Florida Sun Sentinel, and seems to contradict Chief of Staff John Kelly’s account of the speech.

In Kelly’s evocative comments to the White House press corps on Thursday, he defended Donald Trump against Wilson’s accusations that the president was insensitive in a call to a Gold Star widow.

After defending the president, Kelly attacked Wilson — recalling a speech the congresswoman gave in 2015 at the dedication ceremony of a new FBI building in Florida named for two slain FBI agents.

Kelly, then a general, alleged Wilson bragged about securing funds for a new FBI building in Florida during her speech — a comment that Kelly said left him “stunned” for its insensitivity.

But, it appears that Kelly’s forceful criticism of Wilson was unfounded: in the full video of Wilson’s 2015 speech, she makes no mention of securing funding for the building.

It would be quite a shocking indictment of Kelly if it turned out he lied before the press corps in order to tar the congresswoman, particularly given the powerful and emotional appeal to “sacredness” he made earlier in his comments.

This proves once and for all that Gen. Kelly is just another one of Trump’s facist errand boys.. Who will do or say anything to cover up his boss’s latest lie...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Didnt know his unit left him to die.

Yea that ? crazy like you got everybody but him??? But at the same time that whole scene had to be chaos as i heard they was ambushed by about 50 isis so i know its not the 1st time the military has had to regroup and come back for fallen soldiers but damn..just had to be the brotha
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/white-house-statement-kelly-video-wilson
    After Video Contradicts John Kelly, White House Doubles Down In Defense

The White House on Friday stood behind its chief of staff, despite video showing definitively that he misspoke when he attacked a Democratic congresswoman on Thursday.

Though John Kelly originally attacked Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-FL) on Thursday for bragging about securing funding for an FBI building at a dedication ceremony in 2015, video published by the Sun Sentinel Friday of that 2015 event shows that Wilson did no such thing. White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, in a statement to TPM, glossed over Kelly’s inaccuracies.

“Gen. Kelly said he was ‘stunned’ that Rep. Wilson made comments at a building dedication honoring slain FBI agents about her own actions in Congress, including lobbying former President Obama on legislation,” Sanders said in a statement.

But that’s not an accurate summary of the chief of staff’s statement. Kelly said he was “stunned” that Wilson had spoken about securing the building’s funding. In reality, she had only briefly mentioned her efforts to pass legislation to have the building named after two fallen FBI officers. And, secondly, Wilson made no mention of lobbying Obama in her 2015 speech, according to the Sentinel’s video.

Neither Sanders nor another White House spokesperson responded to TPM’s questions about the details it mischaracterized in recounting Kelly’s attack.

Sanders’ statement continued: “As Gen. Kelly pointed out, if you’re able to make a sacred act like honoring American heroes about yourself, you’re an empty barrel.”

“Empty barrel” is what Kelly called Wilson for her sharing with the media that President Donald Trump did not mention Sgt. Johnson’s name in the call with his widow, according to Wilson, and that he had told her that Johnson “knew what he signed up for.”

Kelly on Thursday said that Wilson, in her 2015 speech, “stood up, and in the long tradition of empty barrels making the most noise, stood up there and all of that and talked about how she was instrumental in getting the funding for that building, and how she took care of her constituents because she got the money, and she just called up President Obama, and on that phone call he gave the money — the $20 million — to build the building. And she sat down, and we were stunned. Stunned that she had done it. Even for someone that is that empty a barrel, we were stunned.”

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/white-house-highly-inappropriate-question-marine-general
    WH Says ‘Highly Inappropriate’ For Reporter To Question ‘Marine General’

The White House on Friday told a journalist who asked about errors chief of staff John Kelly made Thursday that it would be “highly inappropriate” to “get into a debate with a four-star Marine general.”

The militaristic language, used to refer to the civilian position in the White House occupied by the retired Marine general, came when the reporter pointed out that Kelly had inaccurately accused a congresswoman of claiming credit for securing funding for an FBI building in Miramar, Florida in 2015.

As video published Friday by the Sun Sentinel showed, the congresswoman, Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-FL), never claimed to have secured funding for the building. She did mention during her speech that she had led a congressional effort to name the building after two fallen FBI officials.

Sanders repeated a misleading statement regarding Kelly’s remarks in the press briefing Friday.

“As we say in the South, all hat, no cattle,” she added, a statement that could allude to the fact that Rep. Wilson is known to wear colorful hats.

The reporter pointed out that Kelly’s statement Thursday was misleading: Wilson didn’t discuss the building’s funding in her speech in 2015.

“She also had quite a few comments that day that weren’t part of that speech and weren’t part of that video that were also witnessed by many people that were there,” Sanders said, referring to “what Gen. Kelly referenced yesterday.”

The reporter pressed: Would Kelly respond to reporting on his inaccurate statement?

“I think he’s addressed that pretty thoroughly yesterday,” Sanders said.

“He was wrong yesterday in talking about getting the money,” the reporter countered.

“If you want to go after Gen. Kelly, that’s up to you,” Sanders said. “But I think that, if you want to get into a debate with a four-star Marine general, I think that that’s something highly inappropriate.”

The press secretary added later, responding separately to a question about a speech made by former President George W. Bush on Thursday: “I think if anybody is pushing a lot of fabricated things right now, I think most of that would be coming from the news media.”

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i ro ny wrote: »

it seems like there is too much military technology for an ambush in 2017 but alas.

@ the bolded

You haven't seen nothing yet.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Soldiers die all the time b. Nothing more to see. LOL this guy talking like warfare has never had casualties. Get the ? out of here clwon
  • stringer bell
    Options
    Video of a 2015 speech delivered by Representative Frederica S. Wilson revealed Friday that John F. Kelly, the White House chief of staff, misrepresented her remarks when he accused her of bragging about securing $20 million for a South Florida F.B.I. building and twisting President Barack Obama’s arm.

Mr. Kelly, escalating a feud between Mr. Trump and Ms. Wilson, had cast the congresswoman on Thursday as a publicity-seeking opportunist. However, the video, released by The Sun Sentinel, a newspaper in South Florida, showed that during her nine-minute speech, Ms. Wilson never took credit for getting the money for the building, only for helping pass legislation naming the building after two fallen federal agents.

She never mentioned pleading with Mr. Obama, and she acknowledged the help of several Republicans, including John A. Boehner, then the House speaker; Representatives Mario Diaz-Balart and Carlos Curbelo; and Senator Marco Rubio.

Ms. Wilson, in an interview on Friday, called Mr. Kelly a liar and hinted strongly that the altercation, prompted by a call from President Trump to the widow of a fallen black soldier, was racially charged.

“The White House itself is full of white supremacists,” she said.

“I feel very sorry for him because he feels such a need to lie on me and I’m not even his enemy,” Ms. Wilson said of Mr. Kelly. “I just can’t even imagine why he would fabricate something like that. That is absolutely insane. I’m just flabbergasted because it’s very easy to trace.”

While she stopped short of accusing Mr. Kelly, a retired Marine general, of racial animus, she did say that others in the White House are racially biased.

“They are making themselves look like fools. They have no credibility,” she said. “They are trying to assassinate my character, and they are assassinating their own because everything they say is coming out and shown to be a lie.”

But Mr. Trump and his top aides remained defiant on Friday, even after the video was released. In an interview with Fox Business Network’s Maria Bartiromo, Mr. Trump said he found Ms. Wilson’s criticism of Mr. Kelly “sickening.” The president called his chief of staff “a very elegant man,” and added that Mr. Kelly “is a tough, strong four-star Marine.”

Mr. Kelly, Mr. Trump said, was offended that Ms. Wilson publicized what the president said was “a very nice” call to the widow of a soldier killed in action in Niger.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the White House press secretary, said that Mr. Kelly “absolutely” stands by his Thursday remarks.

“General Kelly said he was ‘stunned’ that Representative Wilson made comments at a building dedication honoring slain F.B.I. agents about her own actions in Congress, including lobbying former President Obama on legislation,” Ms. Sanders said in a statement. “As General Kelly pointed out, if you’re able to make a sacred act like honoring American heroes about yourself, you’re an empty barrel.”

Ms. Sanders escalated the messaging a few hours later: “As we say in the South: all hat, no cattle,” she said. Ms. Wilson is known in the Capitol and in South Florida for her colorful hats.

Ms. Sanders also told a reporter who questioned Mr. Kelly’s veracity that “if you want to get into a debate with a four-star Marine general, I think that that’s something highly inappropriate.”

The charges and countercharges on Friday veered into the incendiary issue of race. Ms. Wilson is African-American, as is Myeshia Johnson, the widow of Sgt. La David T. Johnson, one of four American soldiers killed on Oct. 4 in Niger.

People in Ms. Wilson’s South Florida district and some members of the Congressional Black Caucus echoed Ms. Wilson’s accusations, though they also noted that Mr. Trump attacks people of all races.

Clifford W. Jordan, 60, the general manager of a nursing company in the same building as Ms. Wilson’s Miami Gardens office, said the criticism of the congresswoman smacked of racism and sexism.

“There’s all this noise around the one black guy who died in Niger — no one is even talking about the other guys — and now they’re going after this black congresswoman,” said Mr. Jordan, whose father died in the 1960s while serving as a sergeant in the Air Force.

“It’s almost like General Kelly was telling the congresswoman, ‘You don’t know your place, you’re not supposed to criticize the president,’” said Mr. Jordan, who is black. “That’s how it looks to the black people.”

Stacey Plaskett, a Democrat and the ? Islands’ delegate to Congress, said she was especially offended that Mr. Trump did not seem to know Sergeant Johnson’s name.

“He continually called that fallen soldier ‘your guy’ to his wife. That was his wife,” she said. “It was almost as if he doesn’t believe that we have husbands and wives as black people. And that I find very disturbing, that he would not give her the respect of calling that soldier her husband.”

“I think he challenges anybody who goes after him and corrects him, whether they are black or white or male or female,” she continued. “I think the attack is more stark when it is a woman of color.”

Representative Karen Bass, Democrat of California, said it was not surprising to see people attack Sergeant Johnson’s widow in racially derogatory terms on social media. “He has given license to this,” Ms. Bass said of President Trump. “He’s promoted it. He’s agitated it. He’s encouraged it.”

The issue exploded this week when Ms. Wilson went public to say that in a condolence call to Ms. Johnson, Mr. Trump had said that Sergeant Johnson “knew what he signed up for.”

Mr. Trump flatly declared that Ms. Wilson’s account was fabricated, but on Thursday, when Mr. Kelly defended the president, he did not reject her account.

Instead, he accused her of turning Sergeant Johnson’s death into a political stunt. The congresswoman had known Sergeant Johnson and his family for years, beginning when, in elementary school, he joined a mentoring program that she had started. She was in the limousine with Ms. Johnson and her two children, awaiting Sergeant Johnson’s body at Miami International Airport, when the president’s call came in over a speakerphone.

Although he did not use her name, Mr. Kelly said he and the congresswoman were both at the 2015 ceremony for a new Miami F.B.I. building that was named after Benjamin P. Grogan and Jerry L. Dove, agents who were killed in a 1986 shootout. Mr. Kelly said Ms. Wilson had taken credit for getting the funding for the building. Ms. Wilson’s congressional district includes parts of Miami.

“And we were stunned — stunned that she’d done it,” Mr. Kelly said. “Even for someone that is that empty a barrel, we were stunned.”

Mr. Trump’s aides — many of whom had teared up during Mr. Kelly’s remarks on Thursday, seeing them as an emotional defense of the president — were angry on Friday as the controversy continued.

“It should have ended yesterday after General Kelly’s comments. But it didn’t. It continued,” Ms. Sanders said. “He thought it was important that people got a full and accurate picture of what took place.”

If that was his goal, Mr. Kelly failed. His recollection of Ms. Wilson’s appearance at the dedication of the F.B.I. building was highly inaccurate, and only ratcheted up the political tensions.

During the April 2015 dedication ceremony for the building that houses the F.B.I.’s South Florida operations, Ms. Wilson spoke about how quickly she was able to get a bill through the typically slow and bureaucratic Congress.

“It is a miracle, to say the least,” Ms. Wilson said of the swift legislative action. But, she said, the quick passage shows how much respect Congress has for the F.B.I.

“Most men and women in law enforcement leave their homes for work knowing that there is a possibility they may not return,” Ms. Wilson said.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Gen Kelly str8 up lied tho. But there is a vid of her speech, why tell a lie that can be so easily disproven.

I dont kno wtf is goin on. These ppl cant be this stupid.

And SHS talkin bout dont question a general LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL who tf does she think he is? Jesus lol. All this has to end asap

But this is what happens when u elect a reality tv star as potus. smh
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He won't last 4 years man he just can't. Everyday it's some new ? with him. Every morning! 3 yrs from now is far far 2 long for this guy 2 B in office. I ain't never wanna have 2 ? no one but I'll be damned if I say I won't now and have no sense of feeling when I say it. 3 CACS shooting at protesters this week? Never has been this bad in my 30+ years man. Sad state of society.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLE4_Iqivlg

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/bakari-sellers-ed-martin-battle-over-trumps-feud-with-rep-wilson-tell-me-her-lie/
    Bakari Sellers, Ed Martin Battle Over Trump’s Feud with Rep. Wilson: ‘Tell Me Her Lie!’

Bakari Sellers and Ed Martin battled on CNN earlier tonight over the ongoing back-and-forth between President Trump and Congresswoman Frederica Wilson.

Sellers said that Wilson is right to bring up the racial aspect of Trump’s attacks because of how the President goes after people like her, Jemele Hill, and Colin Kaepernick.

Martin said that Wilson “jumped the shark” and told Sellers to stop making this into a racial issue. Sellers retorted that his comments only “underscore… the premise of what I’m talking about.”

They battled over whether it’s Trump or Wilson who’s being disrespectful and lying, with Sellers saying, “Tell me her lie!”

Martin accused Wilson of “demagoguing” the issue and even told Sellers that he’s part of the problem for dividing people.

Sellers shot back by calling Martin “an artist who does not tell the truth.”

• Rozetta5tone
    Rozetta5tone Members Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I usually vouch for the villain but dude ain’t even smart enough to be a villain. He’s exposing his hand and it’s hard for me to fathom how he became so wealthy and influential. He’s just another reason why “Old Money” needs to be taken out of circulation.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So they left the black man to die in Africa.....
  • stringer bell
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9ft_cbVXGE

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/tucker-carlson-calls-lawrence-odonnell-joy-reid-morons-for-invoking-race-to-slam-john-kelly/
    Tucker Carlson: Lawrence O’Donnell, Joy Reid Are ‘Morons’ for Invoking Race to Slam John Kelly

On Friday night, Tucker Carlson went after MSNBC hosts Lawrence O’Donnell and Joy Reid for accusing Gen. John Kelly of racism for his criticisms of Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-FL).

The Fox News host began by going after Wilson for insisting that the term Kelly used “empty barrel” was racist after she “looked it up in the dictionary.”

“The definition isn’t there, by the way,” Carlson reacted (he later noted the term was coined by the philosopher Plato and used by William Shakespeare). “What you are looking at is another fake politician alleging yet more fake bias crimes to hide her own failures. You would think Democrats would be embarrassed by the routine by now. It’s tired and absurd, not to mention divisive and dumb. Who’s not sick of it at this point? But nope, Democrats still willing to defend it.”

He then went after O’Donnell for accusing Kelly of trying to “de-humanize” her and used his upbringing in Irish Catholic Boston to insinuate that the “empty barrel” terminology was used back then as a racial slur. He also called out Reid for the following tweeting:

“This is grotesque, obviously,” Carlson reacted. “The morons making these arguments are sick. It’s a symptom of disease to imagine racism behind every disagreement. It’s also by the way the death of traditional political debate. You can argue with people who disagree with you who are just wrong but there is no reasoning with bigots. You can only crush them. Your opponents suddenly become your enemies. They must be destroyed. That is how many on the left see General Kelly, not to mention you and me.”

Tucker apparently doesn’t like people calling out white supremacy...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At least part of the problem is that people do cry racism over everything these days. Look, I'm not going to say here isn't a race issue here. But Trump is an all around ? . He hasn't done right by the white families of fallen soldiers either. While this whole debate was going on, another story came out about him promising some white people money and not delivering on it until he got called out.

Trump is a ? . I don't think race is as big an issue in this story as his general shittiness and the stupidity of the people that support him.
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options