Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah fam you always bring money up cuz thats your comfort zone, you crutch so to speak i kknow you are more than your money but you value that greatly @2stepz_ahead
  • inori
    inori Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a real question tho...

back in the day it was easy to boycott businesses that don't have your peoples best interests in mind and let them feel the burn of not getting black dollars... my question is... how do we adapt that strategy???

I watched yesterday and I saw commercials for T-Mobile, headache medicine, insurance companies, beers... how the ? do we navigate the terrain where you boycott one company thats owned by another company that supports the very same fuckery.

Hate to say it but I don't see muhfuckas on some "yeah... t-mobile is one of the NFL's biggest sponsors.. ? them ima switch carriers!... I aint buying Excedrin no more... and ? this noise... I'm switching my car insurance... and while i'm at it... I aint drinking this ? beer anymore either!"
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did anyone speak about Villanueva from the Steelers? I didn’t see white folks cry about what he did. And the Steelers was supposed to stay in the tunnel as a team
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inori wrote: »

back in the day it was easy to boycott businesses that don't have your peoples best interests in mind and let them feel the burn of not getting black dollars... my question is... how do we adapt that strategy???

I watched yesterday and I saw commercials for T-Mobile, headache medicine, insurance companies, beers... how the ? do we navigate the terrain where you boycott one company thats owned by another company that supports the very same fuckery.

Hate to say it but I don't see muhfuckas on some "yeah... t-mobile is one of the NFL's biggest sponsors.. ? them ima switch carriers!... I aint buying Excedrin no more... and ? this noise... I'm switching my car insurance... and while i'm at it... I aint drinking this ? beer anymore either!"

Seems like there's something else you'd like to say. Cut to the chase. What's your point?

As far as certain main utilities are concerned, phones, gas, electricity etc it's difficult to boycott as many of these are necessities. However, alcohol clothing, even certain brands of cars can be boycotted. I simply say research the company you are doing business with and make sure that their public stance aligns with yours.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Id push that racist ? into traffic and go about my day
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have to realize most people not willing to sacrifice for the change that they will tell you they are seeking.
  • D. Morgan
    edited September 2017
    Options

Something went wrong with my computer
  • D. Morgan
    edited September 2017
    Options

? up
  • inori
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Seems like there's something else you'd like to say. Cut to the chase. What's your point?

As far as certain main utilities are concerned, phones, gas, electricity etc it's difficult to boycott as many of these are necessities. However, alcohol clothing, even certain brands of cars can be boycotted. I simply say research the company you are doing business with and make sure that their public stance aligns with yours.

Not really....I was just trying to figure out how folks could adapt accordingly on the boycott tip...

Ur absolutely right about main utilities being difficult... I was just looking for realistic solutions on how to effectively boycott while navigating companies owned by companies owned by companies.. It's so convoluted some folks might actively be boycotting while still patronizing the parent company without knowing it.

The "making a statement" is all well and good... Taking a stance is good.. but like it's been said in this thread countless times....the only language these folks understand is when you hit they pockets... I'm just trying to see what's the best way to do so
  • inori
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

You have to realize most people not willing to sacrifice for the change that they will tell you they are seeking.

I realize this.. I'm just trying to adapt a strategy for those that are willing....
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

Not really....I was just trying to figure out how folks could adapt accordingly on the boycott tip...

Ur absolutely right about main utilities being difficult... I was just looking for realistic solutions on how to effectively boycott while navigating companies owned by companies owned by companies.. It's so convoluted some folks might actively be boycotting while still patronizing the parent company without knowing it.

The "making a statement" is all well and good... Taking a stance is good.. but like it's been said in this thread countless times....the only language these folks understand is when you hit they pockets... I'm just trying to see what's the best way to do so

I don't think they understand that either. There are many business that do not value the Black dollar. That's why advertisement and marketing is still overwhelming geared to toward whites.

It doesn't matter what they understand. Blacks need to understand that whites as a whole are not our friends, adopting their culture and mores is toxic. We need to stand on our own, have some morals and pride in our own. We can stand in solidarity with whites who are willing to tell the truth about white supremacy and make an effort to show they genuinely support Black interests\issues.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

I don't think they understand that either. There are many business that do not value the Black dollar. That's why advertisement and marketing is still overwhelming geared to toward whites.

It doesn't matter what they understand. Blacks need to understand that whites as a whole are not our friends, adopting their culture and mores is toxic. We need to stand on our own, have some morals and pride in our own. We can stand in solidarity with whites who are willing to tell the truth about white supremacy and make an effort to show they genuinely support Black interests\issues.
  • Kwan Dai
    Options

• Kwan Dai
    Options

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah fam you always bring money up cuz thats your comfort zone, you crutch so to speak i kknow you are more than your money but you value that greatly @2stepz_ahead

did they or did they not speak about firing those who dont stand?

can you answer that?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited September 2017
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited September 2017
    Options
  • playmaker88
    Options

can you answer that?

They did but im just talking about a common refrain in your post.. it is what it is.. im not attacking you for it
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

can you answer that?

They did but im just talking about a common refrain in your post.. it is what it is.. im not attacking you for it

right....when they speak about firing.....thats ? with peoples money.

thats why i brought it up.

it has nothing to do with me.

im speaking more on....we need to take their power away.

white people understand money...they same way they can threaten the athletes with it....they need to secure themselves so they wont have that power over them.

i do value money a bit less than the next man.....honestly i dont put much value in it at all but i understand its needed for certain things. but thats another story.
  • playmaker88
    Options
    And thats excatly why i didnt get jiggy with what Tomlin did or anyone else taking this weak stance He said it himself

he wrapped himself in that football fraternity ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PY9CjmtNWs
  • inori
    Options

You and I are in agreement for the most part.. which is why I was trying to get a better understanding of these businesses we all patronize.

A brotha/sista could be on some.. Yeah we boycotting all this surface ? .. not watching a football game or buying their ? is cool... but not realizing the advil we buy... the liquor we buy.. the cell phone bill we pay... the clothes we buy.. ? ... the toilet paper we buy is made by folks that are actively plotting against our best interests..

I was just trying to open a dialogue about how to appropriately navigate these waters is all.. Not a simple thing I know.. but I think it warrants discussion
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options

Well every tactic is not the best for every circumstance. It's not they were just boycotting any business that hurt their feelings back in the day. They were specifically boycotting businesses and institutions that couldn't function without the black dollar. And in the cases of things like the transportation systems, the city makes money off of those things, so a boycott against them well be felt more universally than against some private corporation. In short, boycotts can still work, you just have to be strategic about how you employ them, and that's always been the case.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited September 2017
    Options
    WTF? This site is trippin.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Still trippin.
  • The Lonious Monk