The Official IT Thread

Options

Comments

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will be geting my A+ cert after I get my Master's degree. I also want to do some programming. I want to become a business Analyst. Searching Dice every job wants some basic programming experience. Should I just get windows certified or learn a basic programming language? C++, Java or .Net
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote:
    I will be geting my A+ cert after I get my Master's degree. I also want to do some programming. I want to become a business Analyst. Searching Dice every job wants some basic programming experience. Should I just get windows certified or learn a basic programming language? C++, Java or .Net

look and see the job listings on Dice and see what it requires. you cant learn programming overnight so if you have any free time get it cracking with the certs/programming. once you get comfortable with it you can throw it on your resume and it can make a difference between getting a job right after your degree or getting one a year later.

A+ can take you about 3 weeks to learn, practice and pass
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Options
    To all the ? that's needing motivation, I just got e-mailed about a position paying 171k a year. If that ? don't make you want to get your ass up and knock them certs out, nothing will!
  • King Erauno
    Options
    ^^^ gotdamn.

i need some ? like that and id be happy with the rest of my life
  • longmeat
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Here's the job description:
    Member of team responsible for the overall performance and availability of security system infrastructure solutions. Analyze technologies and recommend upgrades/changes based on assessments of the organization's current and future Security System needs.
    Design system solutions and create implementation and support models for technology encompassing a specific specialization or platform.
    Create both short and long-term enterprise system technology roadmaps based on an understanding of the organizational strategic requirements, technology context and business needs.
    Define and review reports to ensure all services are completely and successfully delivered. Proactively intervene to correct problems when they are encountered. Use metrics to improve processes.
    Work effectively with other IS teams and outsourcing provider(s) to ensure technology solutions are effectively managed and performed.
    Ensure a thorough analysis of service results, and respond to any escalated service delivery issues
    Assess organization's current and future technology needs. Set direction and lead improvements of techniques, methodologies and deliverables.
    Perform other duties as requested
    Minimum Requirements:
    Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems or related field
    Eight years of experience in the information services, which includes five (5) years experience with security systems technologies
    Strong understanding of Infrastructure design and support concepts.
    Preferred Qualifications
    Appropriate security certifications, such as CISSP (ISC)2, MCSA/MCSE: Security (Microsoft), CCSP
    (Cisco) and/or certifications from vendors
    Experience with MSFT platforms strongly preferred
    Experience with security architecture related to protocols such as SNMP, HTTP(s), SOA, Web
    Services
    Experience with secure coding practices, thread modeling, vulnerability assessment
    Experience with network and server security, including firewalls, VPN, Anti-Virus, Patch Management,
    etc.
    Experience with Common Criteria, FIPS and other certifications

Ima apply for this ? and see what happens. I'm definitely qualified, and will have my CCNP Security this Saturday. Damn I can't wait to have my CCIE. I might ? around and be able to afford a used Maybach lmao
  • valdez21
    valdez21 Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options
    longmeat wrote:
    To all the ? that's needing motivation, I just got e-mailed about a position paying 171k a year. If that ? don't make you want to get your ass up and knock them certs out, nothing will!

^^^^^THIS
    Man i may have to push back my route exam date, it's not sinking in like i wanted
  • longmeat
    Options
    You practicing in gsn3 as you're going along right? What exactly ain't sinking in?
  • valdez21
    Options
    yeah that's what im using. BGP and OSPF types. Right now going through the Route OCG and Route Student Lab manual. I'm trying to get to a point where i know what the lab is asking for me to do in these objectives and case studies
  • valdez21
    Options
    yeah that's what im using. BGP and OSPF types. Right now going through the Route OCG and Route Student Lab manual. I'm trying to get to a point where i know what the lab is asking for me to do in these objectives and case studies. I've read this article about Roman Rodichev, the 6xCCIE...
    Roman: If you are going to do CCIE, why waste time on CCNP? If you are ready for CCIE, you can go and take all CCNP tests in one day, and you’ll pass them. Getting CCNP might get you a $10-20K salary increase, but probably only if you switch jobs. If you think that CCIE is your ultimate goal, go for CCIE, don’t think about CCNP. These two certifications require a different approach in studying. Some people choose to study with pass4sure and pass the CCNP within a week. I would rather prepare first for a CCIE, and then take CCNP tests without preparation a week before the CCIE lab.

Got me reconsidering my strategy...
  • King Erauno
    Options
    ^^^^

it all depends on your time and $ really. you can braindump your whole way to the CCIE lab and ultimately you will learn everything needed to validate your CCNP in order to actually pass the CCIE lab..but its the experience and problems/scenarios you run into that will make you great at networking. i see what you're saying though
  • King Erauno
    Options
    yo long..where you gettin these emails from? you got any tech job sites you wanna share?i've been looking at the usual...careerbuilder...dice...monster..etc
  • longmeat
    Options
    I have my information on dice, monster, CB, and corp-corp.com.

Passing my CISSP opened up a whole new lane for the kid. After i get my CCIE ? will provably be even more crazier. The trick is to have the type of experience that's in demand. PKI, RBAC, multi factor authentication, policy writing/governance, and knowing how to created and execute a security strategy. That's more important than saying i know how to configure an ASA or checkpoint appliance.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad this thread still up. Mane as of not even I week or two at the most. I was working the regular Help Desk for the service members over here. Welp,.... Two technicians who were ADPE got fired basically cause they couldn't pass a ? test. So now since our team was at 4 ADPE techs was now down to only two. So they walked right over to the HD and picked.... It was three of us over at ADPE. Me, an old white lady who nags the ? out of everybody, and another dude. The other dude is actually smart. Can't hate on dude, but sometimes he act like he better than others. He know his stuff. So it was the other white lady and she nags, nags, nags, nags and argues til its not even funny (She nagged me cause I put "Hi" in my emails and when customers came into the HD area she also nagged me when I addressed the service members to the greeting of "This is the HD"). So them technicians chose me. I guess cause other dude fit into the HD perfectly and they wasn't gonna get the nagging lady and if the bosses threw her over there, then the ADPE techs said they was gonna quit. So as of right now, I am ADPE which means I am taking the systems apart, fixing them, riding around the base and meeting/greeting customers. Its difficult and I don't even care for a raise right now even though I could get one. Lord willing, I'll stick w/ this side for a year or two and it's a wrap from there. I'll be able to work ADPE over in Kuwait, Germany, China, etc.. or wherever I want w/ the actual hands on training.

Nobody but The Lord blessed me w/ that one......
  • longmeat
    Options
    mrrealone wrote:
    Glad this thread still up. Mane as of not even I week or two at the most. I was working the regular Help Desk for the service members over here. Welp,.... Two technicians who were ADPE got fired basically cause they couldn't pass a ? test. So now since our team was at 4 ADPE techs was now down to only two. So they walked right over to the HD and picked.... It was three of us over at ADPE. Me, an old white lady who nags the ? out of everybody, and another dude. The other dude is actually smart. Can't hate on dude, but sometimes he act like he better than others. He know his stuff. So it was the other white lady and she nags, nags, nags, nags and argues til its not even funny (She nagged me cause I put "Hi" in my emails and when customers came into the HD area she also nagged me when I addressed the service members to the greeting of "This is the HD"). So them technicians chose me. I guess cause other dude fit into the HD perfectly and they wasn't gonna get the nagging lady and if the bosses threw her over there, then the ADPE techs said they was gonna quit. So as of right now, I am ADPE which means I am taking the systems apart, fixing them, riding around the base and meeting/greeting customers. Its difficult and I don't even care for a raise right now even though I could get one. Lord willing, I'll stick w/ this side for a year or two and it's a wrap from there. I'll be able to work ADPE over in Kuwait, Germany, China, etc.. or wherever I want w/ the actual hands on training.

What in the hell did I just read?
  • longmeat
    Options
    Just got this in my e-mail. $80/hr, y'all ? need to get focused man!
    Solutions Architect – Security Focus
    This is senior level Solutions Architect in the Technology & Operations Portfolio responsible for supporting multiple, concurrent projects as well as collaborating in the development of the enterprise architecture.

The Solutions Architect is responsible for the architecture, design, and support of project solutions related to an integrated portfolio of security solutions. The Solution Architect is responsible for expressing the business value of technology architecture to senior management and influencing business strategies. Additionally, the Solutions Architect partners with development teams across multiple lines of business to design solutions using industry and company enterprise standards as well as defining and enforcing internal standards as appropriate.

Specific Experience Required:
    Broad Information Security knowledge with Subject Matter Expertise in one or more of the following areas with strong understanding of:
    · Identity & Access Management

o Role & Entitlements Management

o Identity Lifecycle Management

o Access Management

o User Provisioning

· Directory Services, Meta-Directory / Virtual Directory.

· Federation Services. (SAML 2.0)

· Web Access Management

· Web Single Sign-on / Enterprise Single Sign-on (ESSO)

· Risk Adaptive Authentication. (Device Authentication / Risk Engine).

· Experience with network and server security, including firewalls, VPN, Anti-Virus, Patch Management, etc

· Experience with security architecture related to protocols such as SAML, SSH, SNMP, HTTP, SOAP, SOA, Web Services

Responsibilities/Accountability in Architect Role:

Uses deep subject matter/functional expertise, influence and process skills to help internal/external customers and stakeholders identify and meet their high priority needs
    Encourages informed Risk-taking and acts as a catalyst for innovation; generates practical, sustainable and creative options to solve problems and create business opportunities, while maximizing existing resources.
    Performs assessments and listens to internal/external customers to understand and anticipate their needs and determine their priorities in the context of the overall enterprise.
    Leverage internal resources and external technology alliance partners to architect and integrate technology components that will be required as a part of the solution.
    Author "proposal-ready" narrative relative to the current state, critical assumptions, scope of services to be provided, solution to be delivered and benefits to be realized.
  • valdez21
    edited February 2012
    Options
    longmeat wrote:
    Just got this in my e-mail. $80/hr, y'all ? need to get focused man!

Best believe i'm focused. Took a day off work to study. Definitely trying to knock this exam out by next weekend. Been watching all videos today, going to lab up until next Saturday
  • longmeat
    Options
    My ? . Keep going at it b. I started my journey to get my certs up over a year ago. I've gotten through the CISSP, and gonna finish my CCNP Security this week, then go for that big boy by August. On the real Im mad fatigued but this ? was worth it 100%. My only regret is that i didn't get started sooner.
  • longmeat
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Man i swear these staffing companies be on some ? . They'll try to lowball the ? outta you if you let them. Like 6 of them hit me up for the same gig this afternoon. All talking about the right is 40/hr. I tell them now 65 at the min and they like yeah no problem.

I swear they some ? criminals b. Soon as this cert run is over, I need to focus 100% on my company. I wanna be the one ? these ? pockets.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    longmeat wrote:
    Man i swear these staffing companies be on some ? . They'll try to lowball the ? outta you if you let them. Like 6 of them hit me up for the same gig this afternoon. All talking about the right is 40/hr. I tell them now 65 at the min and they like yeah no problem.

I swear they some ? criminals b. Soon as this cert run is over, I need to focus 100% on my company. I wanna be the one ? these ? pockets.

yooo funny you said that ? . i had the same thing happen to me...at&t gig here..was 40/hr maybe last nov. i passed it up. same position being filled..some cats hit me 2 weeks ago about it. i was like how much..one company was talkin 35/hr. one company was talkin 39/hr another company was 37/hr (all contract, all for the same position) i knew i wasn't gonna take that ? but i interviewed anyway and got the offer. i declined. ($ was too low, no benefits, 12 hour shifts weekends)

those indian ? were PISSSSSED off
  • King Erauno
    Options
    im focused people. this has been my life since the end of last year. work, study, gym. i dont even entertain ? during the week right now (i know, crazy)

knockin out the written by mid march then onto the lab. somedays at work (8-5) i dont do anything but study so by the time i get home i have already done 8 hours of labbing/studying for the day.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    longmeat wrote:
    mrrealone wrote:

What in the hell did I just read?

I'm sorry.... What??
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mrrealone wrote:

Congrats on the job man
  • Mr Popo
    Mr Popo Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I really need to knock this A+ out so I can get to Security +. Anybody got answer sheets to A+?
  • longmeat
    Options
    Mr Popo wrote:
    I really need to knock this A+ out so I can get to Security +. Anybody got answer sheets to A+?

Stop it slime, if you gotta cheat for the A+, go head and become a truck driver cause you ain't never gonna make it b.
  • Mr Popo
    Mr Popo Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I didn't mean it like that...I meant test questions, not from the actual test, but from study guides...