The Official IT Thread

Options

Comments

• King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    valdez21 wrote: »
    a systems engineer. basically going out getting clients and providing Cisco solutions, working with account managers. Thanks man

did you get the job?
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Just passed my IPS exam, CCNP Security ? !!!!!

Now it's time to go had on the IE
  • valdez21
    valdez21 Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    Options
    waiting to hear back from the company for a third interview, hopefully this week. Failed the TShoot exam. Any tips? i ran outta time something horrible
  • longmeat
    Options
    Look over the report and just focus on the section you did poorly in. Was it the lab why you ran out of time, or was it subnetting? I know when I first was doing the CCNA, the subnetting part was what chewed up a lot of my time.
  • valdez21
    Options
    It was the lab. Ran out of time going through the trouble tickets. The report just said "troubleshooting networks". No particular routing protocol or anything.
  • longmeat
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Can't really offer any help man. on the security exams there's no troubleshooting labs, just multiple choice questions. Only recommendation I can give is just go over the type of lab it was (routing protocol, frame relay, vtp, etc) and try to understand what are the requirements to get it up and running. Like EIGRP for example requires the routers to be on the same subnet, have the same AS, use the same authentication method, and have the right ports allowed if an ACL is place for a neighbor relationship to form.

On another note, I been telling recruiters that's been emailing me I already got my CCIE. So far the highest rate they agreed on was 90/hr on C2C/1099 (told them my rate was 100/hr W2). That's 200k b. If that don't make you wanna study, nothing will.
  • longmeat
    Options
    SMDH, I knew this was gonna happen. They're updating the CCIE Security lab soon

http://blog.ine.com/2012/02/01/ccie-security-version-4-update/
  • isiahil
    isiahil Members Posts: 22
    Options
    It was the lab. Ran out of time going through the trouble tickets. The report just said "troubleshooting networks". No particular routing protocol or anything.
    I know for network related stuff labing it out helps for me. What kind of questions did you struggle with? Was it OSPF/EIGRP type problems?
    longmeat wrote: »
    On another note, I been telling recruiters that's been emailing me I already got my CCIE. So far the highest rate they agreed on was 90/hr on C2C/1099 (told them my rate was 100/hr W2). That's 200k b. If that don't make you wanna study, nothing will.

My CCIE Voice grind has been back on lately. I may be on track to take the CCIE written before June. We have a huge Cisco Voice project we just landed at my job. This thing is the definition of a resume builder, I am talking a 40 site VoIP cutover. It is only two people at my job (including me) that knows anything about Cisco Voice. I am fairly certain 99% of this cutover will fall onto my shoulders. I am going to use this project to study for the CCIE Voice lab. If I can pull this project off I am confident I can pass the CCIE Voice lab. Plus I need that 200K right now.
  • valdez21
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Can't really offer any help man. on the security exams there's no troubleshooting labs, just multiple choice questions. Only recommendation I can give is just go over the type of lab it was (routing protocol, frame relay, vtp, etc) and try to understand what are the requirements to get it up and running. Like EIGRP for example requires the routers to be on the same subnet, have the same AS, use the same authentication method, and have the right ports allowed if an ACL is place for a neighbor relationship to form.

Yeah i'm trying to build the topology out in the lab. It was just about everything you can think of on there. So you good with doing contracts like that?
    isiahil wrote: »
    I know for network related stuff labing it out helps for me. What kind of questions did you struggle with? Was it OSPF/EIGRP type problems?

My CCIE Voice grind has been back on lately. I may be on track to take the CCIE written before June. We have a huge Cisco Voice project we just landed at my job. This thing is the definition of a resume builder, I am talking a 40 site VoIP cutover. It is only two people at my job (including me) that knows anything about Cisco Voice. I am fairly certain 99% of this cutover will fall onto my shoulders. I am going to use this project to study for the CCIE Voice lab. If I can pull this project off I am confident I can pass the CCIE Voice lab. Plus I need that 200K right now.

I think i had those covered but then again the report didn't tell me where i was weak. I think i'll start looking for contract jobs to get on projects like that.
  • King Erauno
    Options

supposed to be sometime pretty soon. Ive been hearing that for months. After they announce it it will be 6 months before the first exam takes place. So keep an hear out for it and i will too. Gonna put us on a time constraint, but it can be done
  • longmeat
    Options
    isiahil wrote: »

Good luck on that project b, that'll be some real good experience. On my job I have to configure everything but Cisco IPS and 802.1x (they're using something else). So I'll have some good ass experience getting they're infrastructure secure, on top of all the other ? I have to do there. But I'd probably have passed my CCIE before that ? comes around.
    Yeah i'm trying to build the topology out in the lab. It was just about everything you can think of on there. So you good with doing contracts like that?

Son I've been doing contract work for years, that's how I eat so good. Contract is the best thing in IT, IMO. You get the right certs, and the right experience and you can eat like a king. I'm getting 30-40+ emails a week for job offers man, and I don't even got the CCIE yet.

supposed to be sometime pretty soon. Ive been hearing that for months. After they announce it it will be 6 months before the first exam takes place. So keep an hear out for it and i will too. Gonna put us on a time constraint, but it can be done

Gonna put USon a time contsraint? Naw son, I'm grinding right now already like I gotta take my exam next week. I already knocked out 4 chapters from the CCIE book, and planning to finish chapter 9 by the end of the day. I should have gone through the entire book by next Tuesday .

I know about the 6 months lead time, so come August, I'm taking that flight to ? the beast. They'll still be on v3. Ever since I passed the IPS and realized I got only one exam left, I'm back on my grind heavy. All I think about now is studying and going to the gym. I'm like ? everything else.
  • longmeat
    Options
    It looks like the entire written exam is a mix between what's on the ccnp sec exams or the cissp.

I don't know if that's good or bad because that's A LOT of ? to cover. King do have a exam sim for the written?
  • King Erauno
    Options
    It looks like the entire written exam is a mix between what's on the ccnp sec exams or the cissp.

I don't know if that's good or bad because that's A LOT of ? to cover. King do have a exam sim for the written?

nah i'm looking for one myself thats not a brain dump. Gonna keep looking. Let me know if you find any
  • a_wack_poster
    a_wack_poster Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been a long time since I been in here, I had a lot of other ? to deal with but I finally got a chance to take my A+ exam. Passed the 701 with a 740 and the 702 with a 722.

I'm finally halfway in there. Now I gotta find some entry level places to get some experience in. I dont know which path I'm gonna go down just yet but I'm glad I finally passed this test.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    Been a long time since I been in here, I had a lot of other ? to deal with but I finally got a chance to take my A+ exam. Passed the 701 with a 740 and the 702 with a 722.

I'm finally halfway in there. Now I gotta find some entry level places to get some experience in. I dont know which path I'm gonna go down just yet but I'm glad I finally passed this test.

congrats. look around for jobs at best buy or staples in their tech department. Or check around school, if you are in school.
  • a_wack_poster
    a_wack_poster Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, and will do. I'm about ready to tell my current job to eat a ? anyway, this happened just in time.
  • longmeat
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Yo king ucertify has one for $120 and IPExpert got one for $99.

http://www.ipexpert.com/Cisco/CCIE/Security/Written/Quizzer
    http://www.ucertify.com/exams/Cisco/350-018.html

I'll check and see how it's licensed, but we might be able to both use it to study. The ucertify one has a money back guarantee too.

congrats fam. try to figure out which direction you want to go, and go for the next certification. I had my a+, ccna, and mcp before I got my first job, and those certs helped me stand out among all the other entry level cats I was competing against.

Also, if you're enrolled in school, hit up the intern office/co-op department/job board. That's how I got my 1st help desk gig.
  • guytoosmooth
    guytoosmooth Members Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Options
    I been lurking, but IT seems like the way to go. I don't know anything about it, ima read thru this whole thread when I get off. But for a newbie that doesn't know sh't, where do I begin as far as certs. Entry level job isn't gonna cut it for now cuz I'm in the military, but I plan on studying on my own and getting as many certs as I can before I get out do I can get into this career field. Somebody let me know what to start with and I will go from there. Thanks.
  • King Erauno
    Options
    @ long..i got a connect over at ipexpert so ill see how that works, licensed etc. I ordered a bunch of ? from them so they better looks out
  • King Erauno
    Options
    I been lurking, but IT seems like the way to go. I don't know anything about it, ima read thru this whole thread when I get off. But for a newbie that doesn't know sh't, where do I begin as far as certs. Entry level job isn't gonna cut it for now cuz I'm in the military, but I plan on studying on my own and getting as many certs as I can before I get out do I can get into this career field. Somebody let me know what to start with and I will go from there. Thanks.

Read the thread and look up some of the things we're talking about, CCNA, A+, security +, etc and see which interests you the most. You want to start with an entry level cert so one of those would be a good starting point, as well as any Microsoft stuff.
  • longmeat
    Options
    @King good look, lemme know what you here, I'm planning on buying something this week.

King when recruiters hit you up, tell em you got your ccie already and see what kinda rate you can get. They hating not wanting a ? to hit triple digits an hour.
  • valdez21
    Options
    Passed TSHOOT, CCNP certified
  • longmeat
    Options
    ^my ? . you going right to the IE or u taking a break?
  • valdez21
    Options
    Taking a break. I'll start back studying in five minutes B-)
  • King Erauno
    Options
    congrats man.

aiight check it.. i ? with ipexpert heavy. http://www.ipexpert.com/Company/Promotions/Cisco-Training-Products

usually got good ? to prep for the ccie..or any other cisco cert. I'm waiting for my boy Mike to hit me back about these practice questions, and any other info/products they may have. Though, i thought about coppin an ipad with all the videos and ? on it for like $1200