DJ Quik Blames Tupac's Death & Death Row's Fall On Travon Lane

Options
RickyRich
RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
DJ Quik calls Travon Lane an instigator, says Suge Knight isn't to blame for Death Row's downfall.

A number of different factors could have possibly played a role in the fall of the Suge Knight-founded Death Row Records, but for Compton rapper DJ Quik, the label’s downfall can be attributed to one man in particular. Speaking exclusively with AllHipHop.com at Gentleman Jack's Art Beats & Lyrics tour stop in Atlanta, DJ Quik blamed the fall of the label on Travon Lane, a Death Row affiliate and alleged gang member.

According to DJ Quik, on top of ultimately bringing down the label, Lane was responsible for a fight which took place between Tupac Shakur, his entourage and Orlando Anderson the night the rapper was gunned down in Las Vegas.

“It wasn’t Suge that brought down Death Row either. It was Travon Lane, ? ass,” said DJ Quik. “Scary ass ? got that chain took and then got Tupac in there fighting. And then that’s how Tupac got shot. Because Travon Lane—he was like the little bully. He was like an instigator. It’s always the one that don’t mean nothing that bring the whole house of cards down. Travon Lane, you ought to be real proud of yourself. You’s a ? ass ? . ? , you ? it up for everybody.”

Anderson was reportedly a person of interest in the murder of Tupac. He was killed in a shootout, which took place well over a year after Tupac was gunned down in Vegas.

DJ Quik previously spoke on his relationship with the late Tupac during a 2009 interview with the Los Angeles Times. The rapper recalled the influence Tupac’s tenacious nature had on his work ethic.

“Before I met Pac, I saw his tenacity, which was insanely fierce toward the end of his life,” said Quik. “I always saw my songs one at a time, until I recorded with him and I started making 14 a day just [messing] with him. I’d been doing my thing for a long time at that point and I was like, ‘Who is this fire starter to get me to change the way I did my business?’ He really made me figure out the best usage of my available time, and got me on a wholly new personal clock directed toward constantly making music.”

DJ Quik served as an in-house producer at Death Row Records during the ‘90s and has also produced records for Tupac, Snoop Dogg, Xzibit, and more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg-YTXQtKgw

Comments

• deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jimmy Henchman killed Tupac
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inthe vid u cant even see pac fightin but u do see somebody treatin orlandos head like a soccer ball
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when will u ever learn
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quik a real ? .
  • RickyRich
    Options
    i guess pac was riding for his ? . But to me why didnt travon lane handle his own beef or got one of the weed carriers to deal wit it smh.
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Neckbone, Tray, Heron Buntry too...

It's a known fact he got his chain snatched at the Lakewood Mall in April 96 and told Pac that was the SSC that did it the night of the fight.

What brought Deathrow down though is Suge's mentality. If they didn't get bucked at then, it would've happened eventually. Sad, but true.
  • RickyRich
    Options
    travon lane is still a ? tho
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tupac getting gunned down was his own fault, he didn't have to participate in that fight. Dude got involved in something that had nothing to do with him and paid for it with his life

Came in here just to say this. Whoever this cat is/was it's not his fault PAC got shot at all.
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hope your proud of your self Travon Lane, your a real ? for this ?
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Tupac getting gunned down was his own fault, he didn't have to participate in that fight. Dude got involved in something that had nothing to do with him and paid for it with his life

Came in here just to say this. Whoever this cat is/was it's not his fault PAC got shot at all.
    Well I guess that is a one philosophy as it could be argued that Pac was shot due to his involvement in the scuffle and had he not stomped dude he would not have been targeted for retaliation. We all have our own choices to be accountable for and Pac's repercussions for his choices were his life. It could also be argued that if you create a scenario and someone gets killed regardless of their level of involvement it is your fault because had you not started it there would have been nothing for the person that got shot to get involved in...
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    yea, cause the labels downfall had nothing to do with the constant diss songs towards aftermath by a number of no name rappers until that label became irrelevant. Or the fact that Suge's reputation in business made it impossible for the music to be distributed after he went to jail. It was ALL Suge's fault.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea, cause the labels downfall had nothing to do with the constant diss songs towards aftermath by a number of no name rappers until that label became irrelevant. Or the fact that Suge's reputation in business made it impossible for the music to be distributed after he went to jail. It was ALL Suge's fault.
    NO all that ? was as they were tumbling down trying to grasp on to something to regain footing. The breaking Point came when Suge bet all his house of cards on Pac then Pac died. That was the pinnacle event that meant their star would rise no further all the ? that subsequently happened after that was just the aftermath(No Pun Meant)...
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All this being said, Quik is arguably the greatest producer hip hop has ever seen and this was a dope lil interview.

He always got some stories.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^ he regressed by joining a gang at the age of 24.

The overall mindset of Tupac was years ahead of his time, but he couldn't escape that thirst for power and respect.

He went out and got the Piru tattoo, started dropping anti-Crip ? in his lyrics:

"enemies that wanna 'C' me, what it 'B' like?

"conversatin' with my comrades, kickin Swahili..."

"we claim MOB, M-O-B if you 'b' specific...

whats crazy is I can actually remember him switching ? up..
    it's weird because pac was almost like a conscious rapper who would still keep it real and say ? you to ya face but death-row was a monster at the time straight juggernaut, so even though pac always had a thug element since he first came out, it's like death-row nurtured that side of pac to the fullest, even though at his core he was always that same guy telling the ladies to keep ya head up who shed so many tears, business wise the move to death-row was a positive thing because nobody was doing it on their level at their peak but just from a lifestyle perspective it obviously in hindsight wasn't the right call.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was bumping that So Many Tears loud as ? the other day.

Duuuuh, duuh, duh... duh...dah, duh. That bass line is crucial.

All these years i just noticed that ? aint got a curse word in it. You could play that ? anywhere.

Less im forgetting a lyric.
  • Iceberg Slick
    Iceberg Slick Members Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rap been infiltrated by cracka ? when quik aint puttin out work no mo. rip death row and pac.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    NO all that ? was as they were tumbling down trying to grasp on to something to regain footing. The breaking Point came when Suge bet all his house of cards on Pac then Pac died. That was the pinnacle event that meant their star would rise no further all the ? that subsequently happened after that was just the aftermath(No Pun Meant)...

Deathrow's downfall had a lot to do with Suge alienating everyone who left the label, to the point where the label was seen as a joke. 2pac was the only thing keeping Deathrow a float in 1996. After he died and Suge went to prison, Deathrow became a shell of itself because of Suge Knight's past business dealings. Suge wasn't a great businessman. Never was. You don't need to be a great businessman when you have a young and hungry Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg churning out classics.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how is lane a ? tho? was it a 1 on 1 chain take or was he jumped or gun play involved? Pac helped his homie out and that may have cost him his life.... cant blame his cuz Im helping my friends out in situations like that too
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quik talking dat ? but he knows there's consequences when u call out names especially reputables. Quik needs to think before speaking cause them broke ass SSCCs will come through there! Hell everyone in Compton knows SSCCs are wit the biz
  • $tayRichROLLIN
    $tayRichROLLIN Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know imma catch a lot of hate for saying this but PAC caused his owned death! It's admirable to ride with your homies but when u step off that porch and paccout a gang member u know that is with it you set yourself up. PAC wasn't a gang member nor was he hanging on the set like that!