L.O.G.O.N.H.I. (legend or not) Vol. 5: Drake

Options

Comments

• clippyclipp n*gga
    clippyclipp n*gga Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake is not bigger than 50, Nelly, Ja or Luda if you look at the full numbers,I can also throw T.I. in that mix too. Now I would put Drake in there bracket but I can't put him over none of those rappers I named. All he's really done is release more singles than them. But notice, Drake has only had 1 #1 on the Hot 100 and that was a Rihanna feature. Meanwhile:

Nelly: 4 #1's on the Hot 100
    50 Cent: 4 #1's on the hot 100
    Ja Rule: 3 #1's on the Hot 100
    Ludacris: 5 #1's on Hot 100
    T.I.: 4 #1's on the Hot 100

This shows you the impact they had NATION WIDE not just on the rap and rnb charts which all those artist did well on also. Yes Drake has the most #1's on the Rap and RnB Charts for a rapper. That's a great accomplishment. But outside that is where he falls short on the Impact Vs these guys I just mentioned. Also Let's look at the Album sales:

TML - 1.5 Million
    TC - 2 Million
    NWTS - 1.5 Million

Mixtapes
    SFSG - Gold
    IYRTITL - (It's going Platinum but no much higher)

Basically his fanbase is consistent but it's not increasing. He's moving units there's no doubt but so many rappers have done that already and were bigger in Album success including Nelly and 50 at there peaks were outselling POP stars at there height. "Country Grammer" 9x Platinum, his debut and he was still moving units 6 years into his career. Ja Rule Dominated the POP charts and took J-Lo's career to new heights and he was SINGING AND RAPPING something Drake like to act like he succeeded at doing first (Missy, Bone, L-Boogie etc) Ludacris has 5 #1 singles. I mean damn.

All of these guys have 4 Platinum albums or more. Just about where Drake is at. So what happens next? Can he sustain it? We will see. Also please spare me (Oh he's ruling for 6 years). Rap is way different now. During the Hey Day there was just way to much competition for anyone to rule forever. He has his support and that's clear by the numbers. But again he hasn't done anything new in terms of overall success. Look at these rappers from there 1st certified album to there last certified albums:

Ja Rule (99-2004) (Last certified album 2004, 5 years)
    Ludacris (99-2010) (Last certified album 2010, 11 years)
    Nelly (00-08) (Last certified album 2008, 8 years)
    50 Cent (2003-2009) (Last certified album 2009, 6 Years)
    T.I. (2003-2012) (Last certified album 2012, 11 years)

Also when you look inside those #1 singles at least 50% were features. There's nothing wrong with that but let's not act like Drake when #1 all on his own. Is he successful? Yes. Legend? After 6 years? Tupac and Biggie were, 20 years later we are still listening to there music, so that's why we know there are Legends . Drake isn't there yet, let him grow and we will see. But as of 2015, even throwing in the billboard stats, it isn't enough. Also if "Take Care" is going to be the "Classic" album you guys put up for him. He's really going to have a hard time competing with the All Time Greats. The bar is set really high for Rap Legends. There's a reason for that. So again Tupac and Biggie were both Legends after the same years Drake has been in the game. Ask yourself again? Is he a Legend? Don't see it sorry.

This exactly what ive been saying
  • s3nterocks
    s3nterocks Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Options
    Drake is not bigger than 50, Nelly, Ja or Luda if you look at the full numbers,I can also throw T.I. in that mix too. Now I would put Drake in there bracket but I can't put him over none of those rappers I named. All he's really done is release more singles than them. But notice, Drake has only had 1 #1 on the Hot 100 and that was a Rihanna feature. Meanwhile:

This shows you the impact they had NATION WIDE not just on the rap and rnb charts which all those artist did well on also. Yes Drake has the most #1's on the Rap and RnB Charts for a rapper. That's a great accomplishment. But outside that is where he falls short on the Impact Vs these guys I just mentioned. Also Let's look at the Album sales:

TML - 1.5 Million
    TC - 2 Million
    NWTS - 1.5 Million

Mixtapes
    SFSG - Gold

Basically his fanbase is consistent but it's not increasing. He's moving units there's no doubt but so many rappers have done that already and were bigger in Album success including Nelly and 50 at there peaks were outselling POP stars at there height. "Country Grammer" 9x Platinum, his debut and he was still moving units 6 years into his career. Ja Rule Dominated the POP charts and took J-Lo's career to new heights and he was SINGING AND RAPPING something Drake like to act like he succeeded at doing first (Missy, Bone, L-Boogie etc) Ludacris has 5 #1 singles. I mean damn.

All of these guys have 4 Platinum albums or more. Just about where Drake is at. So what happens next? Can he sustain it? We will see. Also please spare me (Oh he's ruling for 6 years). Rap is way different now. During the Hey Day there was just way to much competition for anyone to rule forever. He has his support and that's clear by the numbers. But again he hasn't done anything new in terms of overall success. Look at these rappers from there 1st certified album to there last certified albums:

Also when you look inside those #1 singles at least 50% were features. There's nothing wrong with that but let's not act like Drake when #1 all on his own. Is he successful? Yes. Legend? After 6 years? Tupac and Biggie were, 20 years later we are still listening to there music, so that's why we know there are Legends . Drake isn't there yet, let him grow and we will see. But as of 2015, even throwing in the billboard stats, it isn't enough. Also if "Take Care" is going to be the "Classic" album you guys put up for him. He's really going to have a hard time competing with the All Time Greats. The bar is set really high for Rap Legends. There's a reason for that. So again Tupac and Biggie were both Legends after the same years Drake has been in the game. Ask yourself again? Is he a Legend? Don't see it sorry.

This is a trill ass post. I mean, i don't play the numbers game when discussing an artist, cause to me, that matters none. But since the premise of this Thread is most likely based of his recent accomplishment, this kills that argument.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Legend
    Platinum. Got em.
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All the top tier 90s cats are still here lol, snoop, nas, jay, raekwon, ghost, redman, 50,mobb deep eminem etc they still putting put music and will outbar all of these new cats ? even wayne is a 90s cat so for you to ask where are they st they still in your face lol

50 and Em ain't 90s cats. They might have called themselves makin music back then but nobody knew who they were.
  • onthafly
    Options
    s3nterocks wrote: »
    It may be a changing of the times and my inability to adapt, but his bars ain't on up there you can't be a legend. TO ME, rap isn't like other genres where popularity matters most. Rap is about who's the nicest on the mic. This dude is just at the top of the chart.

Also, i gave that last joint a try and i have the weirdest feelings about it. My brain is looking for bars and doesn't find any worthy of labeling good, but the beat and hook has me bopping. It's like he mastered the art of a hit, but just has no words for us 90's ? to ? with.

Congratulations. You've just learned how the music industry has been operating for the past 10+ years.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's too early to be talking "legend" we gotta see how his legacy stacks up and stands...Drake doesn't have UNDISPUTED classics yet...

Good Kid MAAD City most would argue is a classic record tho...Kendrick closer to legend than Drake to me and Kendrick ain't even there yet because he has alot more to prove. Drake makes great music for the moment but it doesn't seem to age that well. Few people are still bumping TML, or So Far Gone, or Take Care, or were bumping NWTS before this album he's on now came out.

Drake can create seasons for himself in ways that few artists that are out today can...but his seasons come and go swiftly.
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    Options
    Eminem first aftermath album dropped in 99 50 was known in nyc as underground scene in the 90s learn your facts
  • onthafly
    edited February 2015
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Are Nelly,Luda, and Ja Ruke legends?

Nelly is. No on the other two

You crazy if you think Nelly gets Legend status over Ludacris. You must think his career started with Theatre of the mind or some ? .
  • onthafly
    Options
    Yall bring up 50 cent ja, and nelly but they was only hot for about 5 years each. ? nelly was barely 4 years2000-2004 . Same with 50 2003-2007. And ja was hot from 2000-2004 as well. Those were their primes . Drake been basically one of the biggest rappers since 2009. It's 2015. That's 6 years. And it looks like he just continuing to get bigger. Yeah the quality of music can be better but ? to deny what he done in so little time. Eh he probably not a legend now. But to say he won't be is just hating

50 Cent and Nelly had way more impact in the short time that they were hot. I can only think of 3 Drake songs off the top of my head that I ? with and nothing Drake did is ever ? with grodt. And what does being the most popular rapper in a commercialized music industry watered down for white people have to do with being a legend to ? on a hip hop board that bump real ? ?
  • onthafly
    Options
    aka_OG wrote: »
    i think the whole legend argument comes from the fact there are similarities with him and jay

what was jay's subject matter: women, lifestyle, being the best/haters, some street ish and bars galore

whats drakes subject matter: women, lifestyle, being the best/haters, and has bars

for THIS generation he's a legend or atleast one in the making

i may not agree - but i understand it

Do you listen to the music or do you just skim through it? I'm gonna assume you haven't heard the album or you don't know english. You only know what the single is and singled that out to be thee meaning of what he's about.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly tho whats his distinctive classic song? Everyone who is a legend has that, his most popular songs are started from the bottom, miss me, forever and prolly sumthin im forgetting. Its not a universally popular song on the level of sumthin like today was a good day for example. His "hits" dont have replay value after a 6 month period
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    housemouse wrote: »

Do you listen to the music or do you just skim through it? I'm gonna assume you haven't heard the album or you don't know english. You only know what the single is and singled that out to be thee meaning of what he's about.

what was jay subject matter from reasonable doubt to kingdom come?

• clippyclipp n*gga
    Options
    50 first appears on a onyx main stream def jam album in 98 so yes 50 is 90s cat wether you want to believe it or not lol.
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    Options
    jay is a 80s cat
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    housemouse wrote: »
    Eminem first aftermath album dropped in 99 50 was known in nyc as underground scene in the 90s learn your facts

I'll give you em but bunches of ? was known on the underground scene before anybody knew who they were. 50 didn't drop an album mainstream or otherwise until early 2000s. If that makes 50 a 90s cat then that would have to make Jay and probably a few others that you mentioned 80s cats which means you still don't know your facts. Wack ass ? . Tryna school somebody and you can't even get yo ? straight.

Dumb ? ...Jay Z been out since 1987....Hawaiian Sophie...do your googles young ? ...
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton hop off already, smh
  • clippyclipp n*gga
    Options
    ^^^ this ? is extra ? lmao
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Legend
    Took care of the situation so to speak.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    Legend

TML - 1.5 Million
    TC - 2 Million
    NWTS - 1.5 Million

Mixtapes
    SFSG - Gold

With ya logic of album sales, Wilt Chamberlain is a better basketball player than Lebron cause he could average more points in certain season and in a game.. I'm sure in 2002 downloading full albums weeks prior to their release and bootlegging was at a all time high with their Napster.. I tell you one thing though...they aint selling as many albums as Drake now minus the chosen few as jay-Z or Eminem.
  • metal face terrorist
    metal face terrorist Members Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

TML - 1.5 Million
    TC - 2 Million
    NWTS - 1.5 Million

Mixtapes
    SFSG - Gold

With ya logic of album sales, Wilt Chamberlain is a better basketball player than Lebron cause he could average more points in certain season and in a game.. I'm sure in 2002 downloading full albums weeks prior to their release and bootlegging was at a all time high with their Napster.. I tell you one thing though...they aint selling as many albums as Drake now minus the chosen few as jay-Z or Eminem.

Man, where is Nelly's 9 million fans at now. Put Drake in that early/mid 2000 era, I think homie wouldve easily have gone multi platinum.