Yes
37% 37 votes
No
62% 62 votes

Comments

• gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we had this thread already. stop trying to discredit popular artist because u have a personal issue with them. Em made his impact in the game already. now its time for one of these new ? to step in. I hate yall ? .
  • mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh i agree hes a legend....i was trying to make a point to @zombie lol....
    but yeah delete this thread if yall need to
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    Options
    No he is not

He's a legend to eveery other demographic besides blacks

At the same time he has a strong fan base in some African countries like Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana u can look at the MMLP 2 sales and see how much it sold in those countries

But overall no

He's a Pop icon his music touches and is liked by so many non hip-hop fans because he sings as well as raps and because he makes hits and radio songs like no other in the genre every single is a guranteed hit

His core fan base was never going to be blacks it is teenage white girls that is his core fan base

People in India, Saudi Arabia, Germany, Pakistan, Brazil, Sweedan, Ireland, Mexico, France will bump and buy his albums and singles like crazy hence the sales

But African Americans nah but nothing wrong wityh that

The Beatles
    Britney Spears
    Lady GaGa
    Elton John
    Elvis
    The Backstreet Boys
    Adele

Also are not legends to black people they like him are legends to every other demographic besides blacks and have also sold like crazy
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    He a legend lol. Yeah he wack now but can't deny his legacy
  • GunTown
    Options
    This is the type of person he is a legend, icon, role model too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-iJCCatcw

• GunTown
    Options
    However there is execptions. But this is a black female. He definitley appeals to black females more than black males

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFPNUvZoQik

The whole world seems to adore his deep/instrospective/emotional music besides the I.C.

• murdap
    murdap Members Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Not a legend to black fans with no classic albums just dre beats to carry his career the best bars Em ever put out was in 8 mile and the movie was about him he couldnt lose. Lil Tic gave it to him and eminem choked they booed him off stage. Lil Tic >>>>> Eminem

"Rip the rabbit head off toss it to hugh hefner cuz i dont play boy now tell me who fresher" lil tic 8 mile

• brimstone
    brimstone Members Posts: 41 ✭✭
    Options
    he is legend is my book . he had learn to rap all over again, i like his older style more.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    well i took my son to the barber shop last week and a song,off hislone classic,came kn evwrybody knew all,the words
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Yeah but not as high as his white washed fanbase thinks.

Eminem has had a Charlie Sheen-ish career. He did some things, cause some scandals, but he really never had a classic movie.

bad example: Platoon,Wall Street,Young Guns

Godfather 1 and 2 are classics. I wouldn't consider Platoon nor Wall Street classics, just good movies.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? no he is not a legend he is just a popular rapper to be a legend in any art form you have to go beyond that you have to have a major effect on your medium or be a major figure in it after your popularity has stopped.

Rakim, g rap, run dmc, nas, 2pac, Jay-Z, snoop these people are legends. The first two literally changed thow rappers spit. Run dmc is one of the first hip-hop groups to take hip-hop mainstream but still maintained a real hip-hop vibe. 2pac is more than hip-hop he's a ? American icon. Snoop is really the first gangster rap superstar. Nas set a high bar artistically and poetically he stretched the art form. Jay-Z business moves and consistent presence in the public mind makes him a legend there is no rapper turned CEO are powerful as he is.

Did em fundamentally change hip-hop like rakim did?? Did he originate anything??? Is his style of original??? Does he spread the artform by having influence out side of it??? How strong is this influence.
  • GunTown
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @Zombie Who was heavily singing on hooks and selling crazy records doing it before Eminem did it with The Eminem Show album which is a Diamond album and came out in 2002?

Yes Bone Thugs, Z-Ro, Devin The Dude did it before him but they didn't sell like he did take it to the heights he did commercially and we talking about the highest selling hip-hop album in history here

Then what happens after The Eminem Show which came out in 2002 a rapping and singing album where he singing on the hooks and singing on an entire song from start to finish

Kid Cudi
    50 Cent
    Max B
    B.o.B
    Drake
    Wiz Khalifa
    Rich Homie Quan
    Young Thug

Then emerge after 2002 after The Eminem Show the most succesful rapping/singing melodic album ever

And these rappers like Kid Cudi, B.o.B, Wiz Khalifa etc who got their singing style from Eminem ain't thinking well a bunch of white teenagers and foreign non black teenagers are the 1s that like and bought The Eminem Show and all the records he singing on. They thinking wow we want that success from it too even if we can get 5% of his fans to like our music

• GunTown
    Options
    Hailie's Song came out in 2002, Mockingbird came out in 2004, When I'm Gone came out in 2005

Daughters by Nas came out in 2012

• GunTown
    Options
    Before Eminem who was rapping/singing about regular everyday average person issues like parenting, depression, family troubles, welfare backround, love, marriage

Then u have other regular content rappers rapping/singing about the same content like Kid Cudi, B.o.B

• DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Anyone who vote yes or no is fundamentally racist. I expect that ? out of GuntlTown but the rest of you coloreds, do you like it when people cone at you as if youre the spokesperson for an entire race of individuals?

The real answer is to each their own. /thread
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo Sion. Right now is a good time to buy stocks, looks like we are in a bear market?
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wtf is an rsp fan?
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've said before, I believe the term legend is thrown around too easily. Should we consider Vanilla Ice a legend since he sold 11 million off is one album? ? Is 50 a legend?? MC Hammer?? Ja Rule?? Or were these people just the hottest rapper during their time??

Eminem has never really resonated with african americans collectively, the source of rap music. His gimmick has been being a white rapper in a predominently black industry that said shocking ? at the time. Can he rap?? Absolutely.

Does he have a classic?? Maybe MMLP. Maybe. Is his music still held in high regard outside of lose yourself?? Has anyone outside his ? , mostly white audience bumped an entire album of his in 5 years?? If not, is he a legend or a hot rapper that faded out?? Em suffered from being an animated rapper without much substance. The conversation would be different if all his songs were as deep as lose yourself, stan, etc. ? still listening to him fantasize about killing kim??
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eminem is a legend because he sold a lot of records.

Kool G Rap is a legend because of his magnificent flow regardless of how many records he sold.

There's scores of MCs that are legends that didn't sell as many records as Eminem.