USA: Do you see a future where most of our black women wear their hair naturally?

Options

Comments

• bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    Hell no. The trend is not going to go backwards
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, it will happen eventually.
    Only when black women feel no shame about their kinks and decide that they WANT to rock their natural hair texture to special events.

i.e THEIR WEDDING! / AWARD CEREMONY / NEWS ANCHOR JOBS!

then the pride might trickle down to a local level.

We have to first address who or what instilled the shame in the first place, obviously

And while I do agree for many bulk women their natural hair can be a source of shame, some women don't want to devote the time and effort to going natural

I agree with the source, but look at what American society is becoming, everything is becoming more accepted. Do we just need the courage to try?

• desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    Only when black women feel no shame about their kinks and decide that they WANT to rock their natural hair texture to special events.

We have to first address who or what instilled the shame in the first place, obviously

And while I do agree for many bulk women their natural hair can be a source of shame, some women don't want to devote the time and effort to going natural

I agree with the source, but look at what American society is becoming, everything is becoming more accepted. Do we just need the courage to try?

The country is changing but in many aspects I feel like we are running in place

Race relations, in particular

We still have grade schools and even HBCUs that don't allow their students to rock locs and other natural hair styles

Many ppl associate natural hair with criminality and militancy

And than its hard to even see someone especially women of color with locs or a natural hairstyle on tv or in magazines or in the movies

• LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We still have grade schools and even HBCUs that don't allow their students to rock locs and other natural hair styles

And than its hard to even see someone especially women of color with locs or a natural hairstyle on tv or in magazines or in the movies

Has your locs hindered you in your career?
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Has your locs hindered you in your career?

The touching of my hair and questions gets annoying but no

I'm not a suit trying to climb the corporate ladder or anything like that either

• spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love every bit of it.
  • MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Khaleesi wrote: »

I wish I had been AWOKEN by my wedding. I deeply regret that.

But now I have a second chance.

I will be attending a very snooty fancy upscale wedding next weekend and will most likely be the only black person there.. And I will rock my curls so damn hard that the poor bride will be ignored because the spotlight WILL be on me.

On a side note....

I can't for the life of me figure out what possesed people to think that this hair is not beautiful & that it's "bad" hair?

Beautiful brothas and sistas, kings & queens...how did they fool us?

b9f3uh.jpg

Lawd dont tempt me

You know what you doing Khaleesi.

Just peeped your sig...

GO PATS! ;)
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WOMEN with natural hair are very very common in nyc
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    Wish there would be a day that insecure women wouldn't rely on weave and would embrace their inner beauty
  • Snatch Some Collars
    Snatch Some Collars Members Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Options
    I love my girl natural hair. Just wish she would show it more. Ain't nothin better than looking down seeing a head full of beautiful black curly hair in my lap. She braided her ? up and threw a wig on last week tho
  • the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I anticipate that as the so-called "browning of America" starts to really take effect, we'll begin to see the white European standard of beauty dissipate. That's when natural hair won't be viewed as a political statement, but will be seen as soft & feminine and uniquely African American/Caribbean.

I do web editing for this broad who writes for Curly Nikki, and you'll be surprised at how much their natural hair defines them.

I personally think it's attractive. It bespeaks and personifies confidence (female swag). You rarely catch a dumb hoodrat type broad rocking natural hair on the regular.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    No.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I clicked the link, and saw exactly what I expected: mostly black women with "natural" hair that is not really natural to black, unmixed women of West African descent.

Women with hair like this:

tumblr_lze9dxHXzq1qeb6upo1_500.jpg

23ixjxx.jpg

1291416221912.jpg

That's why I say y'all are ? brainwashed.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    Nah, I don't think so. I hope I am wrong.....
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    If by natural you mean free of chemicals yes. If by natural you mean no weaves or wigs then no. As long as women love fashion and trying different looks then weaves and wigs are always gonna be here. It'd also help if people knew straight hair doesn't always mean chemicals been in it. I seen natural hair women get told their not "really natural" because they don't rock a 2nd coming of Angela Davis afro lol

This. A lot of famous women wear weaves and wigs as protective styles too cuz a lot of hair and makeup people aren't well versed in black hair. All that heat and ? is just as damaging as perms
  • jaymafia
    jaymafia Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options
    What's a weave?? (I only date Latinas :-))
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd like to think that day will come...and soon

Especially considering the health risks associated with chemical straighteners and heat

But natural hair is hard work, a lot of women don't have the time or patience

I love my locs, but the upkeep <perm

Pic?
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No, will never happen.
    Wife tried weave for a week to see what it was like ... WOAT.

Her natural hair looks much better - it's cheaper, healthier, and she can rock a dozen different styles depending on how she is feeling.

To answer your question T/S, I don't see it happening any time soon. There is a culture and expectation around wearing weave. On top of that, let's be honest, the natural hair for many black women is not desireable even amongst most black men...

• JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm noticing more naturals more often.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, will never happen.

This is very true.

Even with "good hair", it took a lot of time and effort to switch over and maintain her natural hair once she took her locks out.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jaymafia wrote: »

Latinas wear weaves and extensions
  • jaymafia
    jaymafia Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »

How many Latina weave complaint threads are there? Oh OK
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

How many Latina weave complaint threads are there? Oh OK

idk what you're talking about
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Most natural girls date whites so idc if a chick rocks weaves as long as it looks good and she doesn't have self hate issues

@khalessi your husband is white so you prove my point