A Serious Discussion About "African-American Culture"

Options

Comments

• semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the cultural studies have been done about African Americans. the world agrees its a very real culture. a few here don't. examples of a language, traditions, customs, beliefs, and habits are there. some have been talked about and some have not. the focus in this thread has been music.

OG is correct...y'all really don't wanna give AA credit for anything. someone else started it or they heavily influenced it. unique culture? there is no such thing anywhere. all cultures take from somewhere.

here is a really ? up thing about African Americans. we are the only people who enjoy breaking down our people. we will even sit around and applaud other people for breaking us down.

hey man y'all know better than the world. we aint culture. we aint ?
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Christianity :/ AAVE (ebonics), HBCU's(AA bands and halftime shows), second lines at funerals, mardi gras festivals in the gulf coast, AA day parade, modern gospel, blues, jazz, country, rock, soul, funk, disco, doo ? , bee bop, techno, house, new jersey garage, hip hop(has absolutely nothing to do with jamaican people), ragtime, rapping(not the same as hip hop), hoo doo, AA films and literature, Harlem renasiance, soul food , AA pimps, we even had our own form of martial arts at one point I think during slavery, the way our dance steps spread out across the country amongt ourselves(let along the non-blacks and foreign blacks that steal from us) is an example of culture, Louisiana creoles and Gullah geechie ? is AAs so whatever customs they have, civil rights movement, cowboy culture was originally AA, the way we dap ? up and shake hands(terrorist fist bumps), the way we do the head nod at ? when we walk past each other, black panthers, bloods, crips, gd, vl, naacp, ideas of pan-Africanism(which existed in the AA community before marcus garvey, so jamaicans can stop tryna take credit for it), take the chicken out the freezer before yo mama get home

I love how mufuckas say AAs aint got no culture while partaking in our culture

Basically this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_culture and much more ? i cant think of at the moment for a stupid mufuhcka
    zzombie wrote: »
    hip-hop was created by west indians and african americans can we please move the ? on already.... i am interested in hearing what african americans consider the unique culture and i don't just mean your arts

nah

I already posted examples of AA culture, i'm waitin for you to explain jamaican culture and what makes it such a prestigious culture compared to AAs

Where did you post this?

And if none of that constitutes as a part of a culture to you ? then you obviously lookin for cuttin babies ? off after they born or some barbaric, old world ?
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    a lot of the graf art came from hispanics
    alot of the deejaying came from west indians
    The actual music that was played was african american but how it was played, the techniques and equipment used to play the music was innovated by non-african american blacks word to grandmaster flash

I'll give the hispanics graffitti and i'll give kool herc credit for noticing that African Americans enjoyed the break beat as the best part of the song, but the actual music is undoubtedly African American

And the Disco DJs were African Americans and they predate Herc, that's who influenced the hip hop DJ culture
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    This Judah ? just wants to believe that AAs have no culture so he can comfortably claim to be an ancient israelite @zzombie I thought you hated them israealite ?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh you're actually using Wikipedia as a source for your explanation of African American culture? LOL

A whole lot of what you posted was mannerisms and you also included gangs?!?
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This Judah ? just wants to believe that AAs have no culture so he can comfortably claim to be an ancient israelite @zzombie I thought you hated them israealite ?

You trollin lol I feel it.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    There's going to be alot of ignorance, feelings, and misinformation in this thread.

^^^^
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Bruh you're actually using Wikipedia as a source for your explanation of African American culture? LOL

A whole lot of what you posted was mannerisms and you also included gangs?!?

A mannerism can be considered a part of a groups culture

And yes I included gangs, no one said every aspect of a particular culture had to be positive, racism and colonialism is a part of White American/European culture undoubtedly, it just is what it is, yes gangs are a big part of AA culture, just as they the mafia is a part of Italian culture and the Yakuza is a part of Chinese culture, its just facts dro

and why would i not post a wiki source that obviously is correctly defining AA culture
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    And I think yall are misunderstanding what in saying. I'm saying what yall are considering "culture" was mostly a result of slavery. Not to say some positive contributions didn't cone from perseverance through tribulation, but there is no uniformity.

I gave an example of what I believe to be "culture" though Indian society. We don't have much in comparison. Yall are taking as if I'm talking down on us, but that's not the purpose of this thread.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a lot of the graf art came from hispanics
    alot of the deejaying came from west indians
    The actual music that was played was african american but how it was played, the techniques and equipment used to play the music was innovated by non-african american blacks word to grandmaster flash

I'll give the hispanics graffitti and i'll give kool herc credit for noticing that African Americans enjoyed the break beat as the best part of the song, but the actual music is undoubtedly African American

And the Disco DJs were African Americans and they predate Herc, that's who influenced the hip hop DJ culture

what originally made hip-hop music different from any other???? what makes a hip-hop deejay different from a normal deejay??? the techniques and the style of how they play their music.

also king charles another jamaican deejay that played in nyc predates herc
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    And I think yall are misunderstanding what in saying. I'm saying what yall are considering "culture" was mostly a result of slavery. Not to say some positive contributions didn't cone from perseverance through tribulation, but there is no uniformity.

I gave an example of what I believe to be "culture" though Indian society. We don't have much in comparison. Yall are taking as if I'm talking down on us, but that's not the purpose of this thread.

Ok, then Jamaicans, hatians, and afro latinos dont have any culture either then
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    Options
    There's going to be alot of ignorance, feelings, and misinformation in this thread.

^^^^

ill take the feelings part, but misinformation and ignorance, not on my behalf
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Holy ? ? ! I'm tired of reading about who invented ? what with hip hop. Take it to the reason. ? .
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall ? would be likeable if y'all humbled yallselves , we are emotional people and disagreements are expected but this is supposed to be for building

we got a whole section of this forum called the donkey dedicated to ? like this
  • zzombie
    Options
    the cultural studies have been done about African Americans. the world agrees its a very real culture. a few here don't. examples of a language, traditions, customs, beliefs, and habits are there. some have been talked about and some have not. the focus in this thread has been music.

OG is correct...y'all really don't wanna give AA credit for anything. someone else started it or they heavily influenced it. unique culture? there is no such thing anywhere. all cultures take from somewhere.

here is a really ? up thing about African Americans. we are the only people who enjoy breaking down our people. we will even sit around and applaud other people for breaking us down.

That's ? i already have AA'S CREDIT for alot of ? but hip-hop did not come together only under african american hands.

blues, jazz,soul etc etc nobody can take that away from you that's clearly yours and everybody on the planet loves those art forms. Not to mention that in my mind the greatest black writers have been african american BUT hip-hop was really a coming together of different blacks
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If u go through this thread, the only people who said "aas have no culture " are aas. Sad.
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options

That's ? i already have AA'S CREDIT for alot of ? but hip-hop did not come together only under african american hands.

blues, jazz,soul etc etc nobody can take that away from you that's clearly yours and everybody on the planet loves those art forms. Not to mention that in my mind the greatest black writers have been african american BUT hip-hop was really a coming together of different blacks

nah ? u have took plenty of shots at us. to be honest the way y'all just kept going back and forth about hip hop was a great thread derail and straight disrespectful to the African american culture.

y'all can carry on..i'm good
  • zzombie
    Options

nah ? u have took plenty of shots at us. to be honest the way y'all just kept going back and forth about hip hop was a great thread derail and straight disrespectful to the African american culture.

quote me dissing african americans in this thread??? you can't do it can you???
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options

? .. the whole hip hop discussion was disrespectful. u aint add anything to this damn thread. u been on some AA's aint create hip hop since like page 2. now u wanna derail the thread again on some quote me kiddie ? ?

nah I said I'm good before u ass even get started...smh

• babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Smh, too much romanticizing other countries culture. Its infantile to think other people's ways are better than your own. Unless you were born and raised in a culture you will never fully understand it. Believe me, there is someone suffering because of some sick custom in someones culture. You think women look forward to female circumcision? Some of y'all seem to think we were slaves in this country and then...nothing. That is a true definition of a slave mentality. The white slave master made sure to drill it into your head that you are nothing. He actually made it so that 150 years later blacks are so ashamed of themselves that they don't even want to know about any ancestors that were enslaved. Too many don't even want to acknowledge their roots right here, they would rather skip over it to seek out some obscure tribe hoping to find royalty instead of honoring the very people who got you here. They were victims, not shameful creatures with no soul or story. We do have a culture, some good some bad like everyone else. Get some pride.
  • zzombie
    Options

? .. the whole hip hop discussion was disrespectful. u aint add anything to this damn thread. u been on some AA's aint create hip hop since like page 2. now u wanna derail the thread again on some quote me kiddie ? ?

it's disrespectful telling you the truth??? what you want me to say that african american by themselves created hip-hop culture even through there is more than enough proof that that is not the truth. the real disrespect would be me lying to you. ? always want to bring up ? then when what to back down from it
  • semi-auto-mato
    Options

it's disrespectful telling you the truth??? what you want me to say that african american by themselves created hip-hop culture even through there is more than enough proof that that is not the truth. the real disrespect would be me lying to you. ? always want to bring up ? then when what to back down from it

I have no idea what the phrase back down means. I don't play games either. the hip hop back and forth was straight trash. a real ? move to derail this thread. u had nothing of value to add to this discussion.

I said carry on. I also said im good. I don't ? with certain types of ? . u one of ? that cant be told ? . y'all know everything. its no reason for me to go back and forth with u. find the another ? to do that ? with. im good!
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    babelipsss wrote: »
    Smh, too much romanticizing other countries culture. Its infantile to think other people's ways are better than your own. Unless you were born and raised in a culture you will never fully understand it. Believe me, there is someone suffering because of some sick custom in someones culture. You think women look forward to female circumcision? Some of y'all seem to think we were slaves in this country and then...nothing. That is a true definition of a slave mentality. The white slave master made sure to drill it into your head that you are nothing. He actually made it so that 150 years later blacks are so ashamed of themselves that they don't even want to know about any ancestors that were enslaved. Too many don't even want to acknowledge their roots right here, they would rather skip over it to seek out some obscure tribe hoping to find royalty instead of honoring the very people who got you here. They were victims, not shameful creatures with no soul or story. We do have a culture, some good some bad like everyone else. Get some pride.

In what?

• zzombie
    edited December 2015
    Options

I have no idea what the phrase back down means. I don't play games either. the hip hop back and forth was straight trash. a real ? move to derail this thread. u had nothing of value to add to this discussion.

I said carry on. I also said im good. I don't ? with certain types of ? . u one of ? that cant be told ? . y'all know everything. its no reason for me to go back and forth with u. find the another ? to do that ? with. im good!

look ? if you can't stand on your words with logic,sense and proof then you just talking ? , don't ? tell me i disrespected AA AND THEN when i ask you how you can't ? prove it.

I did not derail this thread if african americans are going to claim hip-hop as their culture than that claim need to be investigated. if it proves not to be true then it's a false claim.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    Imma be real...

It seems like some of yall are getting emotional because I said WE African Americans dont have our OWN culture. Now I'm being accused of having a slave mentality lol. The truth hurts and seems to be making yall emotional. The only we can be proud of is what scraps of a REAL culture we were allowed to have during and after slavery? How is it wrong to say that? ITS THE TRUTH! My whole point is what we were BEFORE slavery is GONE for the most part.

Now, we can either trace our genetics back to a specific tribe back in Africa, and embrace it (which I have no issue with), or COME TOGETHER and hold ourselves accountable as a unit to BUILD a new "culture" we can be proud to call our own.....

I feel like yall are clinging to the positive that came from being treated like cattle and attributing it to who we are and have always been as a whole...i cant get down with that. If anything, I look at it as a testament to our collective spirit to attempt to persevere when it seems all hope has been lost....

We speak the language of our former slave masters.....

We (the majority of us) practice all the customs of our oppressors....

What is the spiritual system of AA?

WHAT ARE OUR RIGHTS OF PASSAGE!?!?

Do we conduct certain "rituals" during specific life events?

What does the average AA family structure look like at present time? Is there a consistent trend from family to family?

.....or are we just average Americans?