edited June 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
I called it years ago... Its come to fruition

Comments

• Mr. R&B
    Mr. R&B Members Posts: 80
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Uhhh...

I really don't see how he's on top of the R&B game. Enlighten me.

And, personally, I think he's overrated and boring.
  • TrulyIlly
    TrulyIlly Members Posts: 21
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Quite laughable. He's an okay artist but if you are talking in terms of talent then you still have people like Raheem DeVaughn, Musiq, Anthony Hamilton who trump him. And even if you are speaking in terms of popularity or sales then you got to look at people like a Maxwell whose career will always have life 10 years from now and can sell 500K right out the gate as to where it will take Trey months before cracking 300K so uh yeah

No....
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    wow have we forgotten about neyo this quickly?

look I like trey and I think if he keeps his content in check he might have a chance at the greatness you've prematurely claimed for him.

but come on...seriously?
  • spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Dude has a great work ethic...I agree he is running the game right now...foo can rap too....His mixtape material > most R&B artists catalog.
  • Mr. R&B
    edited March 2010
    Options
    wow have we forgotten about neyo this quickly?
    Ne-Yo is exactly who popped into my mind while typing up my first comment in this thread. Alicia Keys, also.

In my opinion, they've both been sitting on-top of the R&B game for quite sometime.

Maxwell's up there, as well.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    ROFL.

Yung Heartless, what's good yo?

Welcome back.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    this is true......................
  • YungHeartLess5
    YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
    edited March 2010
    Options
    spit_fiya wrote: »
    Dude has a great work ethic...I agree he is running the game right now...foo can rap too....His mixtape material > most R&B artists catalog.

^^^This^^^
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    ROFL.

Yung Heartless, what's good yo?

Welcome back.

Whats good homie?? It feels good to be back... I been wanting to tell you how hot that Memoirs album was too!! Damn ya girl came through and crushed em
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

na............he def aint
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

wassup dude . were u been ?
  • real_hh_rep
    real_hh_rep Members Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Please. He epitomes everything what's wrong with R&B these days - sexually explicit, generic ? . Anybody tired of this?
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    wassup dude . were u been ?

What up Slim... I just been chillin working and ? ... I been tryna get back registered for a minute but that ? was actin weird on me... Whats been up though??
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Please. He epitomes everything what's wrong with R&B these days - sexually explicit, generic ? . Anybody tired of this?

Obviously you not familiar with his catalogue... This guy just put out the album of the year R&B male... He doesnt have a lane he can do it all...
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

and music in the 70's 80's 90's 00's wassnt?

why u think they call it "grown people" music.......
  • Mrslim1
    edited March 2010
    Options
    What up Slim... I just been chillin working and ? ... I been tryna get back registered for a minute but that ? was actin weird on me... Whats been up though??
    Same ole same ole bro. Now back to Trey I have been listening to more of his music lately and the dude can sing his ass ff no doubt. He had good melodies and song structure. I feel that out of all the new cats he is one of the better artist. My prob with Trey is that I feel that he is so good if his songs had more depth he could be great. It like this with me., yeah we know you gettin ? dog , but give me more songs with substance if he did that he could really seperate himself from the rest of the pack
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Same ole same ole bro. Now back to Trey I have been listening to more of his music lately and the dude can sing his ass ff no doubt. He had good melodies and song structure. I feel that out of all the new cats he is one of the better artist. My prob with Trey is that I feel that he is so good if his songs had more depth he could be great. It like this with me., yeah we know you gettin ? dog , but give me more songs with substance if he did that he could really seperate himself from the rest of the pack

I understand ya sentiment... He's growing... He still has to put up with the politics and ? unlike an artist as established as a Jay Z or Maxwell even... Give him time. Also there are different types of Trey Fans... You strike me as the type that would enjoy his albums much more than his mixtape material... I enjoy it all... I know your music IQ is pretty high, so I know for a fact you can appreciate songs like "All the If's" "Black Roses" "Most Important" and so on and so forth

Ive watched this kid mature in a short period of time, keep in mind he just got his break in 05... Also I dont want anyone to feel like when Im pointing out Trey's greatness, that Im trying to take away from other artists... I love all music I love everybody... It just is what it is

Chris Brown came and went
    Neyo came and went
    Pleasure P came and went
    Llyod came and went
    and so on and so forth

Trey is still delivering no signs of slowing down

And everybody out there... I love the Raheem Devaughn's, I love the Maxwell's, I love the Conya Doss' I dont consider them apart of the R&B genre.... Its not the same lane... These people are more Soul and Jazz influenced... Trey is Hip Hop and R&b... its not fair to compare these artist because they cater to different people... when you compare these kind of artists it just leads to arguments based on perception where no one is actually wrong, its all opinion...
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    he needs to thank Chris Brown for slappin RiRi, and Usher for getting married,locked down with kids and ultimately PLAYED....lmao...but i agree he is on top of the R&B game RIGHT now(male-wise)...lets see if he can keep riding the wave

it's crazy cuz for a minute i thought Mario was gonna be where Trey is now when he dropped his album.....
  • Mr. R&B
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Neyo came and went

rkelly.gif
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    oh and getting to tour wit Jay-Z always helps too....lmao
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    he needs to thank Chris Brown for slappin RiRi, and Usher for getting married,locked down with kids and ultimately PLAYED....lmao...but i agree he is on top of the R&B game RIGHT now(male-wise)...lets see if he can keep riding the wave

it's crazy cuz for a minute i thought Mario was gonna be where Trey is now when he dropped his album.....

I like Mario so I aint gone diss him, but Mario created this lane for himself that when I see him I dont even think grown and sexy no ? , I think just a friend... Thats why when Mario dropped that smash last year and ? was tryna crown him I wasnt wit it... Ya reign on the top was short like blades of grass...

@Mr.R&b - Neyo last album was garbage, Im a Neyo fan so my posts arent hate inspired... He had a spark when he started but now....

@ the person that said Chris Brown, you're revealing alot about ya music IQ... I see you just chase radio singles and such... Chris brown has never put out a great album and never will... He's what we refer to as a radio artists... 15 tracks on ya album and 3 or 4 hot (all the singles)
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    oh and getting to tour wit Jay-Z always helps too....lmao

He got to tour with Jay Z because of all the work he put in... Not because of what anyone else did... Jay not bringing nobody mediocre on tour, only A listers... do ya research...
  • Mr. R&B
    edited March 2010
    Options
    @Mr.R&b - Neyo last album was garbage, Im a Neyo fan so my posts arent hate inspired... He had a spark when he started but now....
    Haha, I know you ain't hating, dude. I'm not one of those people who labels someone a hater just because. You're just sharing your opinion.

I have to disagree, though. Although it wasn't nearly as good as In My Own Words, Year of The Gentleman was a solid album and (4/5 stars in Rolling Stone, 6 Grammy nominations, went Platinum) a success still.

Ne-Yo is on hip-hop hooks, writing songs for big R&B names, producing, etc. This dude is definitely sitting on top of the male R&B game.

Meanwhile, Trey Songz has yet to see a platinum plaque in his career. I'm not saying sales has EVERYTHING to do with, but if you're going to debate on who is on top of the game, it's definitely something worth mentioning. Plus, you already know what I think about Trey musically.

Ne-Yo is one of those rare artists that puts out good quality music consistently and sells at the same time.
  • Mrslim1
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I understand ya sentiment... He's growing... He still has to put up with the politics and ? unlike an artist as established as a Jay Z or Maxwell even... Give him time. Also there are different types of Trey Fans... You strike me as the type that would enjoy his albums much more than his mixtape material... I enjoy it all... I know your music IQ is pretty high, so I know for a fact you can appreciate songs like "All the If's" "Black Roses" "Most Important" and so on and so forth

Ive watched this kid mature in a short period of time, keep in mind he just got his break in 05... Also I dont want anyone to feel like when Im pointing out Trey's greatness, that Im trying to take away from other artists... I love all music I love everybody... It just is what it is

Chris Brown came and went
    Neyo came and went
    Pleasure P came and went
    Llyod came and went
    and so on and so forth

Trey is still delivering no signs of slowing down

And everybody out there... I love the Raheem Devaughn's, I love the Maxwell's, I love the Conya Doss' I dont consider them apart of the R&B genre.... Its not the same lane... These people are more Soul and Jazz influenced... Trey is Hip Hop and R&b... its not fair to compare these artist because they cater to different people... when you compare these kind of artists it just leads to arguments based on perception where no one is actually wrong, its all opinion...

I feel what you are saying , but good music is good music no matter what the genre is . Yes Trey is still a young dude . However I refuse to make that an excuse. Maxwell came out with UHS at 23. I agree Maxwell is more soul and jazz influenced. Trey is hot as a fire ? right now , but will the music he made recently stand the test of time ? And thats my prob with Trey . He has the voice and the talent to make songs that will no doubt stand the test of time , but he doesn't always do so . For example as soon as u heard " Pretty Wings " you knew it would be played on you local quite storms for the next 30 years the same goes for the Melanie Fiona " It kills Me " joint. As far as Trey I am not so sure about the songs he has. Maybe they will . Now I will say my favorite Trey Joint is the " You Belong to Me " joint. Thats some serious heat right there .
  • ricanprince
    ricanprince Members Posts: 1,869 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    naw i wouldnt say all that