Trey Songz Sits Atop The R&B Genre

Options
12346»

Comments

• Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sex Room, That new ? wit Ross, Yeah Trey Been on top for a minute now and I dont see nobody surpassing him in the near future... Im eagerly anticipating "Love King" as well, but I dont consider Trey and Dream to be in the same lane, just two icons and Im blessed that i get the chance to enjoy their music

Icons dogg ? GTFOH. I know Trey is your dude and I know you also like Dreams music. But Icons is a serious reach.
  • YungHeartLess5
    YungHeartLess5 Members Posts: 413
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Icons dogg ? GTFOH. I know Trey is your dude and I know you also like Dreams music. But Icons is a serious reach.

Trey still grinding, so if you have yet to recognize his genius thats on you, you soon will trust me....

But to sit here and deny the Dream's genius, and claim to know anything about this thing so dear to me that is referred to as music at the same time is insane... You'll have to go back to Barry Gordy's era if you wanna even compare anybody... Dream and Chris Stewart are a modern day motown.. google their names and look at their accomplishments in the music industry, look at the music they are responsible for... Beyonce to Jesse McCartney and everything inbetween... Not to mention the Dream's own albums...

I cant wait for Nikki pt. 2 Im literally on the edge of my seat waiting
  • Mrslim1
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Trey still grinding, so if you have yet to recognize his genius thats on you, you soon will trust me....

But to sit here and deny the Dream's genius, and claim to know anything about this thing so dear to me that is referred to as music at the same time is insane... You'll have to go back to Barry Gordy's era if you wanna even compare anybody... Dream and Chris Stewart are a modern day motown.. google their names and look at their accomplishments in the music industry, look at the music they are responsible for... Beyonce to Jesse McCartney and everything inbetween... Not to mention the Dream's own albums...

I cant wait for Nikki pt. 2 Im literally on the edge of my seat waiting

Having made alot of music for a variety of artist and that music being good and quality is 2 different things. Some of the music is good , some of the music is undeniably wack.
  • BabyBugatti
    BabyBugatti Members Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    trey songz,could get it.
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Having made alot of music for a variety of artist and that music being good and quality is 2 different things. Some of the music is good , some of the music is undeniably wack.

we disagree often, but I just cant understand this one... he doesnt make music good in quality, he makes music great in quality, everything from lyrics to sound, all original and innovative... He deserves much more recognition and praise than he garners... Industry Insiders know, it always takes the fans a tad bit longer to realize
  • Mrslim1
    edited June 2010
    Options
    we disagree often, but I just cant understand this one... he doesnt make music good in quality, he makes music great in quality, everything from lyrics to sound, all original and innovative... He deserves much more recognition and praise than he garners... Industry Insiders know, it always takes the fans a tad bit longer to realize

I just think his so called great songs are just ok. Great songs to me are songs like " What's going On" , '' A Change is Going to Come" " Reasons" . Those are great songs. Dream just doesn't have anything of that caliber IMO
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I just think his so called great songs are just ok. Great songs to me are songs like " What's going On" , '' A Change is Going to Come" " Reasons" . Those are great songs. Dream just doesn't have anything of that caliber IMO

Those are all great songs, but a totally different lane... Summertime by Will smith is a great song, i dont care what any critic says, its timeless... but Im not going to put it in the same lane as Sam Cook lol
  • Mrslim1
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Those are all great songs, but a totally different lane... Summertime by Will smith is a great song, i dont care what any critic says, its timeless... but Im not going to put it in the same lane as Sam Cook lol

And I am with you , but Dream wants to be respected like a Sam Cooke. A great song is a great song no matter what the genre or lane. Summertime is a undeniable classic , but "Shorty is a Ten" was played out 6 months after it came out. He doesn't write songs that have that type of staying power and that will be played 20 years from now, because they are not being played 6 months after they come out. You may say " Single Ladies " but that is mostly because of the presentation of Beyonce. He couldn't have gave that song to Keri Hilson and have the same impact because it was a greatly written and produced song.
  • booty-gif-dot-com
    booty-gif-dot-com Members Posts: 1,357 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Sam cooke been dead over 45 years and David Ruffin for nearly 20 years but there is no one like those dudes. they had that rare mix of power and great range and soul and could make a nun throw her panties on stage!!

Trey is like his generations R Kelly! hes been hitting the gym, he can hit the notes and singing about over-sexed situations... Nicki Minaj is Lil Kim updated, so Trey is Kels updated and hes got the talent to pull it off!
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited June 2010
    Options
    And I am with you , but Dream wants to be respected like a Sam Cooke. A great song is a great song no matter what the genre or lane. Summertime is a undeniable classic , but "Shorty is a Ten" was played out 6 months after it came out. He doesn't write songs that have that type of staying power and that will be played 20 years from now, because they are not being played 6 months after they come out. You may say " Single Ladies " but that is mostly because of the presentation of Beyonce. He couldn't have gave that song to Keri Hilson and have the same impact because it was a greatly written and produced song.

You just going based on radio singles, shawty is a ten is hot and still will get any party or club filled with bad ones live as hell.... But lets focus in on the meat of his albums "Nikki" "She Needs My Love" "Falsetto" "Playing in her hair" "Purple Kisses" he can make any type of great song.. "walkin on the moon" "put it down" "SWEAT IT OUT" I mean come on, its cool if you not feeling him personally, but the music is undeniable, the instrumentation, the arrangements, the total sound is unmatched...

Umbrella, memoirs of an imperfect angel (the entire album), touch my body, put you to bed, fancy, throw it in the bag, how to be a lady vol. 1, I can keep goin on and on
  • Mrslim1
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You just going based on radio singles, shawty is a ten is hot and still will get any party or club filled with bad ones live as hell.... But lets focus in on the meat of his albums "Nikki" "She Needs My Love" "Falsetto" "Playing in her hair" "Purple Kisses" he can make any type of great song.. "walkin on the moon" "put it down" "SWEAT IT OUT" I mean come on, its cool if you not feeling him personally, but the music is undeniable, the instrumentation, the arrangements, the total sound is unmatched...

Umbrella, memoirs of an imperfect angel (the entire album), touch my body, put you to bed, fancy, throw it in the bag, how to be a lady vol. 1, I can keep goin on and on

You know brother that may be the thing and the difference in our taste. Even though a lot of those songs are popular, none of those songs I would consider great or even good. It just maybe I require more depth , meaning, musicianship, great vocals , harmonization and soul in the music I enjoy.

Superwoman/Where were you when I needed you = Great song. Walking on the Moon= trash imo. No musical value to me. We are all different though I can't hate what you enjoy and vice verca.
  • motrilla
    motrilla Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    this is laughable neyo shuts down the game whenever he releases something and treys songwriting ability are no where near neyo or the dream
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You know brother that may be the thing and the difference in our taste. Even though a lot of those songs are popular, none of those songs I would consider great or even good. It just maybe I require more depth , meaning, musicianship, great vocals , harmonization and soul in the music I enjoy.

Superwoman/Where were you when I needed you = Great song. Walking on the Moon= trash imo. No musical value to me. We are all different though I can't hate what you enjoy and vice verca.

Yeah its cool for to disagree, theres no right or wrong,

but my probelm is I think you're dismissing Dream just because he has a different subject matter... I mean its nothing personal or in depth at all about Superwoman... It doesnt get more in depth or personal than putting your actual real life into your music... thats what seperates that Dream, "Nikki" "She needs my love" these are songs where this guy gives you his story, how it went down for him personally, and thats why I connect maybe a little bit more because I can actually relate to some of the things he went through...
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I agree i'm checking for him b4 everybody Trey and Ak are at my top right now. Trey is better than neyo too. neyo is boring after his first joint he became annoying to me
  • Mrslim1
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yeah its cool for to disagree, theres no right or wrong,

but my probelm is I think you're dismissing Dream just because he has a different subject matter... I mean its nothing personal or in depth at all about Superwoman... It doesnt get more in depth or personal than putting your actual real life into your music... thats what seperates that Dream, "Nikki" "She needs my love" these are songs where this guy gives you his story, how it went down for him personally, and thats why I connect maybe a little bit more because I can actually relate to some of the things he went through...

This dude just doesn't do it for me. And to be honest you can sing about making donuts as long as the presentation is good. Luther Vandross could sing the alphabet and it would be a great song because of the presentation. I just prefer the Kem, Maxwell, Van Hunt and even the Trey Songs of the world over Dream. He is just the wackest of the wackest imo. I mean I have never heard of him or anybody even talk about seeing him in concert. There is no demand for this cat at all. I would rather listen to a lawnmower than this ? .
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Trey is not someone I listen to... I think he's trying too hard to be the Kellz of this generation

But dude has duetted with Aretha, Toni, MJB and did a medley with Stevie on stage... this alone is impressive
  • red_ahh
    red_ahh Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Moreno.S wrote: »
    trey songz,could get it.

according to some hes does just about anything that moves check here

http://www.lipstickalley.com/f154/trey-songz-123148/
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited June 2010
    Options
    This dude just doesn't do it for me. And to be honest you can sing about making donuts as long as the presentation is good. Luther Vandross could sing the alphabet and it would be a great song because of the presentation. I just prefer the Kem, Maxwell, Van Hunt and even the Trey Songs of the world over Dream. He is just the wackest of the wackest imo. I mean I have never heard of him or anybody even talk about seeing him in concert. There is no demand for this cat at all. I would rather listen to a lawnmower than this ? .

his live performance isnt the best, Ill admit, but that doesnt take away from the quality of music he puts out...

(lol you said luther could sing the alphabet and it sound good and I agree, dream does sing the alphabet and it sounds good "Ella A A")
  • Mrslim1
    edited June 2010
    Options
    his live performance isnt the best, Ill admit, but that doesnt take away from the quality of music he puts out...

(lol you said luther could sing the alphabet and it sound good and I agree, dream does sing the alphabet and it sounds good "Ella A A")

Live performance is not an aspect of artistry that you can ignore. He does put of alot of music and that music could even be considered quality according to whats popular today. But Dream's best songs doesn't compare to what I consider greats songs, classic song. While you may consider " Walking on The Moon " quality I consider " Walk on By " by Issac Hayes quality. So when you bring me a song with a wack singer, music that doesnt even come close to what an Issac Hayes or a EWF or a Holland Dozier Holland or a Sade can compose how can i even look at hit as quality when I have been exposed to so much great music ?
  • ryder225
    ryder225 Banned Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Trey Songz>>>>>>>>>>>
  • dagoodone
    dagoodone Members Posts: 8
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Usher is a way better singer than trey songz
  • dagoodone
    dagoodone Members Posts: 8
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Trey Songz is nowhere close to being the next R kelly. R Kelly has many classics, Trey Songz hasn't even gone platinum .
  • BEAM
    BEAM Members Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I enjoy Trey Songz's music.
    It's good for it's specific purposes...
  • YungHeartLess5
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Live performance is not an aspect of artistry that you can ignore. He does put of alot of music and that music could even be considered quality according to whats popular today. But Dream's best songs doesn't compare to what I consider greats songs, classic song. While you may consider " Walking on The Moon " quality I consider " Walk on By " by Issac Hayes quality. So when you bring me a song with a wack singer, music that doesnt even come close to what an Issac Hayes or a EWF or a Holland Dozier Holland or a Sade can compose how can i even look at hit as quality when I have been exposed to so much great music ?

see thats where i have to disagree slim, Issac hayes aint have the best voice around either... lets be real I wont never doubt you music iq though, i know you know ya ? , but if you can listen to Nikki and She needs my love in succession and not see this kid's genius we just gone have to agree to disagree homie I feel dreams name should be right wit the other legends you named